How To Eliminate Burnout And Start Having More Fun Online

30 replies
How many marketers (yes that's you) struggle with burnout on an (often) daily basis?

My first 4 years online (when I made $0.00 and was pissed off) were a constant story of burnout. My biggest struggle was simply not doing anything with the huge amount of knowledge I had. I never even set up a site. I can only imagine where I'd be.

But that's loser talk...living in the past is the 1 true way to guarantee that you have NO future.

I think one of the biggest reasons most people get burned out is a lack of strategy and a lack of perspective. In no other industry have I noticed so many people seeking quick money because they're broke. Usually, people start a business to make money (a positive) but also realize that the payoff will be much later.

In internet marketing, many people struggle with this unconcious desire for a quick buck and thus lose out to all the "sharks" who pry them of their money.

The saying goes "a fool and his money will soon be parted"...and this business is probably the best example of that.
So how do you avoid burnout? Here's my suggestions

1. Stick to a simple plan with realistic goals

My plan is to create tons of information products that people are happy to buy. Simple strategy right? A lot goes into it but it all distills down to this simple little idea.

My goal for 2010 is to have a customer list of 500 people. These 500 very appreciated "VIPs" are the lifeblood of my future business ventures. I can only imagine what will happen when some of these people become my future JV partners

So, what are your goals. What income do you want to make? What time do you want to invest learning and building your business? These are 2 important questions that will lead you down the right path.

No Desire To Have Customers? Probably should be an affiliate or service provider to others

No Desire To Write? Create video courses

Insert Negative? Output The Alternative. Go through each of the things you dislike and design a plan around them. You will have to do things you dislike from time to time...but there's ways to automate/outsource almost anything with the power of technology.

2. Stop Looking For the Magic Bullet


I can't emphasize this enough. No single thing is going to make you 1 million (or insert income goal) dollars. It's not the way the world works. You constantly tweak what you know, make it better, and that's it.

Magic bullets are 99.999999999% for suckers. Don't be a sucker.

3. Build your business by batting singles

Singles add up to homeruns in the long run. Maybe this is a butchered baseball analogy but it's true. You hate creating products? Well, one product isn't going to make you a millionaire. But 100 might.

If you are getting 1000 visitors a month to your site, or even a much smaller amount, split test your pages with Google Website Optimizer. It's free and you'll get way more bang for the buck!

Those are 3 of my simple ways for getting more out of my business while avoiding burnout. There are many but these 3 ideals will really take you far in improving your mental attitude toward growth and development of all your goals and dreams.
#burnout #eliminate
  • Profile picture of the author acrasial
    Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post


    3. Build your business by batting singles

    Singles add up to homeruns in the long run. Maybe this is a butchered baseball analogy but it's true. You hate creating products? Well, one product isn't going to make you a millionaire. But 100 might.

    If you are getting 1000 visitors a month to your site, or even a much smaller amount, split test your pages with Google Website Optimizer. It's free and you'll get way more bang for the buck!

    Those are 3 of my simple ways for getting more out of my business while avoiding burnout. There are many but these 3 ideals will really take you far in improving your mental attitude toward growth and development of all your goals and dreams.
    I had recently seen a webpage with 100 products being offered on it. Now, while it took a while to load, I really liked the idea of the website, especially if the products themselves are good...imagine 100 very HOT products, all your own, on your website, being sold together?


    I just think that's a fantastic idea, and could work out really well especially if the products themselves are high quality...people would jump on that! I was thinking about doing just that, would build up a few products and then eventually get it up to one hundred, and offer that at an immensely crazy discount price.
    Signature
    The Wait Is Almost Over...

    Do You SUCK At Writing & Marketing Articles? Just Wait Till You Get Your Hands On My Book! (Coming Soon!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
    Hmm...may I ask why your point is relevant?

    100 product pages usually don't do super well if they are just there...

    Amazon constantly tests it's pages and they still only have a few related products on the page...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927105].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author acrasial
      Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

      Hmm...may I ask why your point is relevant?

      100 product pages usually don't do super well if they are just there...

      Amazon constantly tests it's pages and they still only have a few related products on the page...

      I'm not talking about 100 product pages, I am talking about 100 products offered one ONE page, for a good price too Such as in people can get 100 books or whatnot, for one price.
      Signature
      The Wait Is Almost Over...

      Do You SUCK At Writing & Marketing Articles? Just Wait Till You Get Your Hands On My Book! (Coming Soon!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dacahe
    Dude, amen to this post!
    Signature

    Do not use affiliate links in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
    Originally Posted by Marc Rodill View Post

    The ONLY magic bullet is: Never Give Up. Other than that, thanks for taking the time to write your post :-)
    Exactly...the reasons "terrorists" are so effective and people can't really stop them is because they 1000% believe in what they're doing.

    Right or wrong...they are damn persistent.

    Sorry if that offends anyone but it's true.

    Never quitting is the key

    Cheers,

    Brad
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pierre!
      Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

      Exactly...the reasons "terrorists" are so effective and people can't really stop them is because they 1000% believe in what they're doing.

      Right or wrong...they are damn persistent.

      Sorry if that offends anyone but it's true.

      Never quitting is the key

      Cheers,

      Brad
      Ya got a way with words!

      Good post... I think I'll try to implement this in my business! Should take some of the *pressure* off...
      Signature
      Internet Safety Tips - The Essentials
      Internet Safety Tips – “The Essentials” – Examples Of Attacks
      Check out this chapter, then sign up to download YOUR copy!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

      Exactly...the reasons "terrorists" are so effective and people can't really stop them is because they 1000% believe in what they're doing.

      Right or wrong...they are damn persistent.

      Sorry if that offends anyone but it's true.

      Never quitting is the key

      Cheers,

      Brad

      That's a good analogy I've never thought of.

      Pure 100% commitment and passion will get stuff done, whether that be productive for society or yourselves or destructive.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928953].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author acrasial
        Originally Posted by Kenster View Post

        That's a good analogy I've never thought of.

        Pure 100% commitment and passion will get stuff done, whether that be productive for society or yourselves or destructive.

        Like those two women in Russia who just decided to blow themselves up? What a topic! That was literally destructive to themselves...for those women.

        But you know, this "never quitting" principle doesn't even apply to these "terrorists" anyways, since they are literally "quitting" their entire life when they decide to blow themselves up.
        Signature
        The Wait Is Almost Over...

        Do You SUCK At Writing & Marketing Articles? Just Wait Till You Get Your Hands On My Book! (Coming Soon!)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928961].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nando1125
      Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

      Exactly...the reasons "terrorists" are so effective and people can't really stop them is because they 1000% believe in what they're doing.

      Right or wrong...they are damn persistent.

      Sorry if that offends anyone but it's true.

      Never quitting is the key

      Cheers,

      Brad

      Right on the damn spot lol
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3331929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
    Im suffering from burnout right now. Been working on a project for last 5 months that I hoped would take me 3 months. I think I'm about a month away from completetion but now my productivity is really down. I need to sort myself out.

    I didn't have such a simple plan. 50 page business and marketing plan with several stages and components. I have outsourced a lot of the work but I am trying to do as much myself as possible.

    Im trying to focus on one thing at a time and break it down into smaller tasks but I keep putting off the difficult stuff until its well overdue.

    I need a motivation boost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1927534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DonnaLeona
      I always like your posts Brad.

      I'm creating an information product so I'm doing the same thing you do but in different niche.

      Thanks for the motivation.

      Best,
      Donna
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928177].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
        Originally Posted by GuerrillaIM View Post

        Im suffering from burnout right now. Been working on a project for last 5 months that I hoped would take me 3 months. I think I'm about a month away from completetion but now my productivity is really down. I need to sort myself out.

        I didn't have such a simple plan. 50 page business and marketing plan with several stages and components. I have outsourced a lot of the work but I am trying to do as much myself as possible.

        Im trying to focus on one thing at a time and break it down into smaller tasks but I keep putting off the difficult stuff until its well overdue.

        I need a motivation boost.
        Remember the 80/20 rule...

        20% brings 80% of your results. I feel like this is a big part of what you're feeling right now. I wonder if you cut down on your project to a manageable level, got going, then improved as you went along you would feel a lot better.

        Motivation shouldn't be the issue. If you like something (which you should if you're starting a business) you should want to do this.

        So eliminate the stuff that won't make you money and move forward and get this project DONE!

        Cheers,

        Brad

        Originally Posted by DonnaLeona View Post

        I always like your posts Brad.

        I'm creating an information product so I'm doing the same thing you do but in different niche.

        Thanks for the motivation.

        Best,
        Donna
        Thanks Donna,

        That means a lot. I'm glad someone got something out of this post...that's my intention

        Cheers,

        Brad

        Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post

        Ya got a way with words!

        Good post... I think I'll try to implement this in my business! Should take some of the *pressure* off...
        It will...plain and simple. Read my post above.

        Cheers,

        Brad
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928714].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
          Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

          Remember the 80/20 rule...

          20% brings 80% of your results. I feel like this is a big part of what you're feeling right now. I wonder if you cut down on your project to a manageable level, got going, then improved as you went along you would feel a lot better.
          That's good advice but in my case I am fighting the urge to just get the bare minimum up and running. I have done this before and I did exactly that, I launched asap with the thought in mind that I would go back and make it better afterwards. But in reality as soon as I launched I spent the next 4 years chasing my ass and many things never got implemented.

          This time I have told myself I wont monkey it up but get everything fully functional and working as planned before launch. I just hope that point is not too far away hehe
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1930425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    Your persevered for four years without making any money? I'm impressed.
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    I used to have a social work job and that led to real burnout, IM is fun.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Focused Action
    Hey Brad

    Fellow Orlando resident - built many home in Windermere until the home building world collapsed. Good post!

    I knew some people making a fortune online and I always said "that is the business/lifestyle" business model I want - yet I have spent many years spinning wheels, confusing activity with action, jumping on every new shiny ball and thus my results reflect this scattered approach.

    Having a solid business plan works in the "online world" too

    I find the isolation of working by myself at home to be a BIG problem - you just begin to not feel part of the real world.

    Anyway, best wishes to you, sound like you have a solid plan you are committed to succeeding with - that puts you probably in the upper 10% of all internet marketers!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tyson Faulkner
    Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post

    3. Build your business by batting singles

    Singles add up to homeruns in the long run. Maybe this is a butchered baseball analogy but it's true. You hate creating products? Well, one product isn't going to make you a millionaire. But 100 might.

    If you are getting 1000 visitors a month to your site, or even a much smaller amount, split test your pages with Google Website Optimizer. It's free and you'll get way more bang for the buck!
    Hey Brad,

    I think this is the most important thing to focus on. Building any business has to begin slow and slowly build and build until it's something bigger. There's no way to start out with a giant list or getting 100 subscribers per day (well...not for me anyway).

    I was always looking for the flash in the pan that would give me instant success, not realizing that I could have spent all that time building a real business slowly and making much more progress in the long run.

    I have sinced changed my mindset and now every subscriber I get is valuable to me, and I'm focusing more on helping other people than looking at numbers. That was huge for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John_Edwards
    I have created an info product in the making money niche, i have had a few sales in the first two months, and you say Brad i`m hoping that even though it`s only a trickle ii`m hoping over time it will become regular at least once a week?

    Great thread....John
    Signature
    All experts have the keys to success! I'm on a journey to bring them to you...

    **www.johnedwardsinterviews.com***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Way to go Brad.

    People need to realize there is no magic button. Well, there is some "magic" but not a Big Red Button to hit 5K per day.



    Even small stuff can get you up there...
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1928990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author neo3006
    Well your right have a plan, my plan is to make my first money online this year, and I have taken that step, I am living and learning, but I agree I was looking for the quick buck like anyone else and thinking this will happen quick, not, just take things slowly and work it and things will there with some hard work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1929057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Focused Action
    Brad, just FYI, the "Visit Brad Spencer's Homepage" link, under your profile, is broken.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1929174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    Originally Posted by Brad Spencer View Post


    1. Stick to a simple plan with realistic goals
    This is the magic bullet. Seriously though this is great advice. Each and everyday I have a list of things to do that are building my business. From time to time I get distracted, but for the most part I am able to stay focused.

    Don't create goals that you cannot realistically achieve. That is one sure way to fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1930499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
    I want to thank everyone who posted.

    I noticed a lot of things on here that i want to point out.

    1. Unrealistic goals= impossible to achieve= guaranteed failure-

    Mlord10 pointed this out and it's completely true. I am glad people are getting the intention of my post.

    2. I love hearing people say they are getting going.

    3. GuerillaIM- Get your project done and out the door...some stuff you can fix on the fly and really improve. If it takes 10 hours a day to do all the work then so be it...just get it going (whatever it may be).

    I hope you guys all enjoyed this

    Cheers,

    Brad
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1931909].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Christian York
    Interesting post.

    My advice for people looking to be more successful and to have a lot more fun is to find out which part of the IM game they actually enjoy doing.

    I.E. Do you enjoy copywriting? Creating products? Answering questions? Writing Articles etc?

    Once you have your answer spend 95% of your time doing it. Outsource the rest.

    Seriously. I wasted so much time building sites, adding links, writing articles etc etc and didn't enjoy myself. Then I started doing what I was really passionate about (coaching) and completely outsourced the rest. I started earning more money, worked harder (because I enjoyed it), helped way more people and looked forward to working.
    Signature

    You Still Here? Go Make Some Money

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1932430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John_Edwards
      Originally Posted by Christian York View Post

      Interesting post.

      My advice for people looking to be more successful and to have a lot more fun is to find out which part of the IM game they actually enjoy doing.

      I.E. Do you enjoy copywriting? Creating products? Answering questions? Writing Articles etc?

      Once you have your answer spend 95% of your time doing it. Outsource the rest.

      Seriously. I wasted so much time building sites, adding links, writing articles etc etc and didn't enjoy myself. Then I started doing what I was really passionate about (coaching) and completely outsourced the rest. I started earning more money, worked harder (because I enjoyed it), helped way more people and looked forward to working.
      I completely agrree with this statement it is my goal to financially get to the stage where i can afford to eliminate most of the workload myself, at the end of the day, thats what the big guns do, and its a big part of why they are so successful1

      Great point Christian....John.
      Signature
      All experts have the keys to success! I'm on a journey to bring them to you...

      **www.johnedwardsinterviews.com***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1948620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zack Lim
    Hi Brad,

    Excellent post.

    The best approach to achieve result is to FOCUS on following one system, FOCUS on doing one task at a task and most importantly is the FOCUS in taking consistent action.

    A good reminder to stay focus and take consistent action

    Zack
    Signature

    FREE Affiliate Marketing Mini Course Reveals The Fastest And Honest Way To Make Your First $1000 Online

    Click Here To Get FREE Instant Access

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1932845].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brad Spencer
      Originally Posted by Christian York View Post

      Interesting post.

      My advice for people looking to be more successful and to have a lot more fun is to find out which part of the IM game they actually enjoy doing.

      I.E. Do you enjoy copywriting? Creating products? Answering questions? Writing Articles etc?

      Once you have your answer spend 95% of your time doing it. Outsource the rest.

      Seriously. I wasted so much time building sites, adding links, writing articles etc etc and didn't enjoy myself. Then I started doing what I was really passionate about (coaching) and completely outsourced the rest. I started earning more money, worked harder (because I enjoyed it), helped way more people and looked forward to working.
      This is what changed for me in 2010. I am having so much more fun now recording videos, selling more products, and having my assistant do more stuff. I totally think you hit the nail on the head.

      Passion=Profits is my saying and I believe it's true!

      Cheers,

      Brad


      Originally Posted by Zack Lim View Post

      Hi Brad,

      Excellent post.

      The best approach to achieve result is to FOCUS on following one system, FOCUS on doing one task at a task and most importantly is the FOCUS in taking consistent action.

      A good reminder to stay focus and take consistent action

      Zack
      Focus is important but I'll take it once step further and say you have to focus on stuff that you enjoy and automate/eliminate/outsource the rest.

      I think that's why many people fail online is because they aren't focusing on what's fun. They do a billion different things poorly and no matter who you are or what time you put in...if you do it poorly you'll get run over by the competition.

      Just a thought though...

      Cheers,

      Brad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1933430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HugoG
    Yeah great post! I think another KEY factor is PATIENCE. But most people dont understand what patience means cause they think I will be patient and just for something to happen :s

    You have to be in constant action being pro active and tweaking yourself to make it happen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3326125].message }}

Trending Topics