The Law of Attraction Strikes Back

16 replies
This is taken from a post on my namesake blog, but I removed the links from the post to follow forum rules.


Yes, it is a bit long, but it's exactly as long as it needed to be to tell this story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------



I have to admit, the law of attraction stung me today and it's all my fault.


You see, just because I wrote a course on the Law of Attraction, doesn't mean that I am immune from mistakes of my own! I find it a bit funny though, since I covered this specific topic inside that course.

Here's what happened,


Yesterday my family ran out of milk (soy milk of course, since I am still off dairy) so after getting my youngest son off to school I decided to ride my bike up to the grocery store. The sky was clear and the sun was out and even though it was cool outside, the crisp cold of fall had not yet hit.


Everything went fine... I rode to the store and got the milk, put it in my backpack and rode back home. It was a nice ride and it really got my heart pumping and the blood flowing.


So today, I decided I would ride even further and go to the City Hall where I can drop off my ballot at the official voting box. But today's ride went very different.


Today, I thought to myself "Boy, this is a long ride. Imagine if you had to walk this far. I wonder how long it would take?"


Now I KNOW that when you find yourself having thoughts that are not in alignment with what you desire, you need to COUNTER those thoughts with thoughts that ARE in alignment with what you desire.


But instead, with legs pumping and blood flowing, I continued to think about how long of a walk this would be. "Boy, if your bike broke down I wonder how long it would take for you to walk back? Couple of hours at least I bet. Walking is good exercise though, but I don't have time for a two or three hour walk. Hmmm... except for hiking in the mountains I bet I've never walked this far."


Up ahead I see a bunch of glass on the road and get the thought "Oh no... What if you get a flat tire?"


Now this time, I recognized the negative thought and like I normally do, I countered it with thoughts that were in alignment with what I desired.


I thought "(1) There is no way I am going to get a flat tire. (2) I avoided all the glass by riding around it. (3) Besides, I have tire liners inside these tires and (4) that green slime that seals small leaks"


I inserted the numbers above to show you how I had 1 negative thought, which I countered with 4 thoughts that brought me back into alignment with what I really wanted... which is this case was having tires that were in perfect condition.


Negative thoughts, or thoughts that are not in alignment with what you desire, ARE GOING to pop into your head. There is nothing you can do about that. It's important to realize that you are not your thoughts. You are in charge of choosing which thoughts to act on.


So when a negative thought enters you mind, simply counter it with thoughts that are in alignment with what you desire. This is just one of the many tricks you have to master the law of attraction and keep your life going in the direction that you desire!


But somehow I allowed myself to go back to thinking about how long of a walk it would be as I got near City Hall. I thought about how my wife, who is much more likely to go for a long walk than me, has not even walked beyond the grocery store. She had never walked to city hall.
"I bet there are five or six bus stops on this main road alone, between our house and city hall. Heck I even passed a park and ride along the way. This would be a long walk indeed." I thought as I pedaled my 21 speed.

I am sure you already know what happened next.


YES... the bike broke JUST as I pulled into City Hall. The way in which it broke was pretty dramatic. The rear derailer (which shifts the gears) somehow managed to get stuck into the rear wheel, which not only brought me to screeching halt, but managed to bend the rear wheel, break out several spokes and completely rip off the derailer in the process.


So there I was... standing in front of City Hall, only feet away from the official Vote Drop Box.... and I knew I was going to have to walk all the way home.


Now walking home I had plenty of time to reflect on how this was caused. I knew I had thought about this long walk almost the entire ride. Of course my bike broke... what did I expect?


Now to someone who does not understand the law of attraction, they would say "What a strange coincidence" and then go on with their day. Not realizing that these "coincidences" are created by the thoughts.
So on my loooong walk back I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be neat if someone I knew happened to see me and gave me a ride".


Without my wanting it to, my mind answered back with "Almost everyone is at work at 1:30pm, so that is not very likely John."...


But now I was back on my game. I recognized that thought for what it was and I countered with "Yes... but wouldn't that be strange. Wouldn't it be a strange coincidence if someone who lived on my very street saw me walking and offered me a ride".


I wanted to walk a good ways just to see how it felt. I could always use the exercise, and it was a nice day. Still, I knew I had work that I wanted to do at my home office and I wanted to manifest a ride because I knew that I had manifested the crash in the first place, so it felt like a challenge.


I continued to imagine myself getting a ride from someone as I walked. I wasn't specific, I just imagined myself stepping up into the dark non-descript van and getting a ride. I did this for at least another half hour when I suddenly heard someone shouting my name from a gas station that I was walking past.


"Hey John. Hold on one minute and I'll give you a lift" he said.


It was my neighbor Bob of all people.


The timing was perfect, because I had been walking for a long time and only had about a mile left to go, so I had gotten plenty of exercise already.


He was just entering the door to the convenience store at the gas station. I walked up to the door and he came out and greeted me.


"Hey John, How are you?"" asked Bob


"Doing well" I replied. Which was true, I was doing well. Exercise lifts my mood and always makes me feel better. I was also having that great feeling you get when you see the law of attraction manifest something you have desired.


"Good timing seeing you on my way home," Bob says. "Gives me a chance to show you my new Van".


Yes -- Bob had just bought a new dark blue mini van. I almost burst into laughter. Instead I politely thanked him and his wife for the lift.
Here I had been visualizing myself stepping into a dark van, and yet I didn't know anyone who even owned a dark van. That detail never crossed my mind.


Bob had always driven a Mid Sized white car for all of the five years that I had known him. Today, he happens to be on his way home with his brand new dark van. A dark van just like the one I had imagined coming to pick me up.


What a neat "coincidence"!


#attraction #back #law #law of attraction #loa #strikes
  • Profile picture of the author SusanPreston
    Great story, John. When I need to get totally aligned, I will do similiar things during my day. Sometimes it will be a parking space at the mall or grocery store. Or it could be that I am thinking that I need to call someone and they all of a sudden call me out of the blue. Basically, I think it just helps me to move on to focus on the bigger things in my life that I desire. Coincidence, nah!

    Susan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[196998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
    Thanks Susan!

    Yesterday I declared when I woke up "Today is going to be a truly special day because some out of the ordinary is going to happen"

    All day long I kept wondering what was going to happen that was so special.

    Out of the blue, at noonish, I got a call from a good friend of mine that I went to highschool with and he for some reason decided not to go to work that day and wanted to drive over for a day visit. (3 hour drive over a mountain pass)

    We had a really good time and we laughed a lot. I had not seen him all year and soon the mountains will be snowed over, so he figured this might be our last chance in 2008 to get together.

    Of course, what this leaves one wondering is, what if I did it again today? (I didn't try)... For some reason it felt greedy to expect such a wonderful surprise two days in a row.

    Perhaps we all set our expectations to low and don't believe we can have a great day everyday so we never allow ourselves to have them. - or maybe it's just me.
    Signature
    JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
    MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
    PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[197294].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vincelog
      Hi John,

      You got a very nice story for us to learn about the LOA. Thanks.

      Vincent
      Personal Development Blogger
      Signature

      Feel stuck? Feel that you are not using your maximum potential?
      Click here to get your free ebook that teaches you how to unleash your maximum potential and achieve whatever you want in life.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[197330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan Dodson
    When I entered this thread, I said, "I'm not reading all of that!". But your story was very compelling and inspiring and I ended doing what I said I wouldn't do.

    Coincidentally , I was looking to get inspired this morning but couldn't find anything...till now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198124].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author janet444
      Great story - I've been better at positive thoughts this week, and reading your story made me laugh and helped bring these principles home for me. Thanks!

      Janet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
      Thank you Vincelog... I have seen your self development blog, which is excellent, and coming from you that is a nice compliment indeed.

      Ryan Dodson... I know it is a long post, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Perhaps it could be said that because you were looking for inspiration, that you attracted this post to you.



      Originally Posted by Ryan Dodson View Post

      When I entered this thread, I said, "I'm not reading all of that!". But your story was very compelling and inspiring and I ended doing what I said I wouldn't do.

      Coincidentally , I was looking to get inspired this morning but couldn't find anything...till now.
      Signature
      JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
      MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
      PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author P_Cerrito
    Great Story. It proves that negative thinking spawns more of the same.
    Signature

    "We are the architects of our own lives"
    Power to attract wealth, success, love, and romance ...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
      Originally Posted by janet444 View Post

      Great story - I've been better at positive thoughts this week, and reading your story made me laugh and helped bring these principles home for me. Thanks!

      Janet
      Thanks Janet! Glad I could make you laugh at me.... ha ha ha....



      Originally Posted by neo7117 View Post

      Great Story. It proves that negative thinking spawns more of the same.
      Thanks
      Signature
      JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
      MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
      PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mbealmear
    Great story! That is so inspirational and just goes to show how our negative thoughs really can manifest those negative events or reactions!
    I really was looking for a boost today because unfortunately I did not get nearly enough sleep last night.....this was just what I needed!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devin T
    I do like the story John, but I do believe that you are pushing it a bit. You cannot tell me that this kind of event wasn't a rarity, because I know that it is. I am a firm believer in the fact that positive thoughts create a positive "air" about you in which helps good things to come about, but I do not feel that focusing on one specific thing will cause it to go wrong or go right. It simply does not work that way. The goal of the law of attraction is to create a true positive outlook on life, and things will fall into place from there because they're attracted to the positive energy that you're putting out. You cannot try to achieve this by trying to counter negative thoughts with positive ones; that's illegitimate. Having negative thoughts seep into your life and stick around creating a negative air is what attracts the shit to fall into your life.
    Signature
    Coolproducts.com - Community Suggested Products
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
      Originally Posted by mbealmear View Post

      Great story! That is so inspirational and just goes to show how our negative thoughs really can manifest those negative events or reactions!
      I really was looking for a boost today because unfortunately I did not get nearly enough sleep last night.....this was just what I needed!

      Thanks mbealmear. I honestly did not know how people would take this post and I am so glad that it was helpful to people here.

      Everyones replies are appreciated.





      Originally Posted by Devin T View Post

      I do like the story John, but I do believe that you are pushing it a bit. You cannot tell me that this kind of event wasn't a rarity, because I know that it is. I am a firm believer in the fact that positive thoughts create a positive "air" about you in which helps good things to come about, but I do not feel that focusing on one specific thing will cause it to go wrong or go right. It simply does not work that way. The goal of the law of attraction is to create a true positive outlook on life, and things will fall into place from there because they're attracted to the positive energy that you're putting out. You cannot try to achieve this by trying to counter negative thoughts with positive ones; that's illegitimate. Having negative thoughts seep into your life and stick around creating a negative air is what attracts the shit to fall into your life.
      Devin,
      I guess it would depend on how you define rarity? I would say that an average of once per week, or more, I have an event that is as clear as this one for me.

      For example, the very next day after this occured I awoke with the idea in my mind that "today is going to be the best day in a long time" and I left it open to the universe on what would make it such a great day.

      I had no idea what was going to happen, but I did know that something special would happen that day, and I felt very excited about it.

      Out of the blue I get a call from an old high school friend whom I had not seen in over a year, who wanted to know if I was up for a visit from him. I said sure. He woke up that day and decided he wasn't going to go into work and instead he was going to do something fun. He thought about me and how we never got together in 2008, so he called me up. It was a three hour drive for him, but he came over and we laughed like old times and it was a great day.

      So did I predict the future or did I attract my future?

      The answer on how I THINK this all this REALLY works, is beyond the scope of this post.

      I you believe that you can not have events like this happen to you often, then you will not have events like this happen to you often. I do not hold any such limiting beliefs.

      I find it interesting in your comment that you say "you cannot try to achieve this by trying to counter negative thoughts with positive ones; that's illegitimate".... How can you tell someone else that what they are doing is illegitimate?
      Signature
      JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
      MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
      PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199236].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Devin T
        Originally Posted by John Derrick View Post

        Devin,
        I guess it would depend on how you define rarity? I would say that an average of once per week, or more, I have an event that is as clear as this one for me.
        John,

        It's called perception. I am a strong believer in fate, and do not believe in coincidence. However, how can you explain all the the "miracles" that people see.

        Example: Many people feel that the Bible shows the future if you analyze the text correctly.. and you know why they are able to find this? It's because they're looking for it. If you believe in something and you look for it, you will find it somehow. And I am not saying this meaning look for something and it will miraculously come true, but that you'll interpret events to fit certain meanings.
        Signature
        Coolproducts.com - Community Suggested Products
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199314].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Devin T
        Originally Posted by John Derrick View Post

        I find it interesting in your comment that you say "you cannot try to achieve this by trying to counter negative thoughts with positive ones; that's illegitimate".... How can you tell someone else that what they are doing is illegitimate?
        I just now read over this part. It's illegitimate because it is a not a thought that naturally occurred in your mind. If you have to feed your mind 4 different thoughts to try and overcome one that came naturally, that makes it an illegitimate or "fake" positive attitude. You must strive to get to a point where you're always seeing things as half full, not seeing things half empty and trying to convince yourself that its the prior.
        Signature
        Coolproducts.com - Community Suggested Products
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199318].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
          Originally Posted by Devin T View Post

          I just now read over this part. It's illegitimate because it is a not a thought that naturally occurred in your mind. If you have to feed your mind 4 different thoughts to try and overcome one that came naturally, that makes it an illegitimate or "fake" positive attitude. You must strive to get to a point where you're always seeing things as half full, not seeing things half empty and trying to convince yourself that its the prior.
          I think that what you are referring to is the difference between the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.

          The subconscious mind is where thoughts that seemingly "pop into" our heads come from. Our subconscious mind is programmed by repetition FROM our conscious mind.

          If you want to teach a child the alphabet, or the multiplication table, how do you do it? You teach them with repetition!

          In the beginning, the child has no knowledge of the information, so the child uses his or her conscious mind to repeat the information over and over again until the subconscious picks it up.

          If someone were to ask me what is 8 x 8, I do not have to use my rational conscious mind to "figure out" this math problem, because the answer is already stored in my subconscious. I immediately respond with 64.

          Notice I don't have to think about it.... or analyze it... or count on fingers, etc... because the information is simply locked away in my subconscious.

          Just because the information comes from my subconscious does not mean that the information is correct, or that is serves me best. For example: if I had taught myself that 8 x 8 was 56, then 56 is the answer I would give without consciously thinking about it. I would just blurt out 56.

          So if your subconscious mind has been programmed over the years to see the glass as half empty.... and you feel that this programming came "naturally", then you will approach life with a half empty attitude.

          I disagree with you WHOLE HEARTEDLY when you say that it is FAKE to consciously choose what you want to program your subconscious with.

          All of us are in complete control of our conscious mind, and for us to CHOOSE what we want to think is NOT fake.

          If I see a glass of water and I naturally think "that's half empty", that is only because of how I have programmed my subconscious mind over the years in the past.

          It is not fake or illegitimate to decide for myself that I instead want to program my subconscious mind to believe that the glass is half full. So I correct the subconscious thought and teach it (through repetition) that the glass is not half empty but is instead half full.

          Consider This: Most of the beliefs that you subconscious mind hold were put there by others. Many of "your beliefs" were put there by your parents and teachers when you were young.

          So you have two choices:

          1) Be the person that you were programmed to be by others, and call it natural....

          or

          2) Choose to program your mind to be the person YOU want to be.
          Signature
          JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
          MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
          PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    Hey, so called "negative thinking" is not that bad...it's bizarre, but also ironic:

    The more obstacles and barriers you "imagine", the more satisfaction you get once you get to your goal, regardless.

    Example would be...let's say your bike would not have broken down, you would have rode there and back...at the end you would've been very satisfied about your achievement and how you "beat" the fact that you didn't have to walk that far since you rode your bike.

    Btw...i assume you usually don't ride your bike that often and you "somehow" had a reason to constantly fear that the bike might break down, maybe it was an old bike?

    Also..another added "benefit", regardless whether the bike broke....at the end, again, you win ,even if the bike broke down, because you either actively (or by coincedence) dealt with this "bad" situation and a solution came along.
    So...sooner or later you will realize that negative thoughts are just...pointless

    There is a saying a like a LOT...it's:

    Think about the solution, not the problem.

    Thinking about the "problem", either beforehand or after it actually occured does nothing else than a block you to find the solution.
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Derrick
      Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

      Btw...i assume you usually don't ride your bike that often and you "somehow" had a reason to constantly fear that the bike might break down, maybe it was an old bike?
      My bike is a little over a year old... perhaps two years... and I ride it pretty much everyday when I take my son to the bus stop. I usually go off for a longer ride after he is on the bus, but I don't tend to ride it that far.

      I don't know why that day I was thinking those thoughts, but I did.



      Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

      Also..another added "benefit", regardless whether the bike broke....at the end, again, you win ,even if the bike broke down, because you either actively (or by coincedence) dealt with this "bad" situation and a solution came along.
      So...sooner or later you will realize that negative thoughts are just...pointless

      There is a saying a like a LOT...it's:

      Think about the solution, not the problem.

      Thinking about the "problem", either beforehand or after it actually occured does nothing else than a block you to find the solution.
      If the bike had not broken down, I doubt I would have felt a "win", as you suggest, simply because I was not really realizing that my thinking about how far of a walk it would be, as negative thinking.

      For whatever reason it just felt natural as if looking at the trees and commenting on how the leaves were changing color. It wasn't until the bike broke that I realized "DUH!"... I thinking about this on the entire ride, of course the bike broke.



      I like that saying also... "Think about the solution, not the problem.
      "

      But many people continue finding solutions to problems day in and day out, While it would be more productive for them to stop creating the problems that need solved in the first place.


      Signature
      JohnDerrick.com ====>>> The Secret Course <<<===
      MoralCash.com - Affiliates Paid To Help Others
      PLR | MRR | Videos | Software | Ebooks | Audio | Graphics | Articles
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[199258].message }}

Trending Topics