Positive Affirmations vs. Rational Reasoning

by jasdon 9 replies
I regularly see people extolling the virtues of positive affirmations - saying that repeating phrases to yourelf will change your beliefs.

I don't see how this works, or at least how it could work over a reasonable period of time.

The reason for repeating these sentences is to alter your beliefs, right? I don't see that it could be so easy to kid yourself into believing something.

Whenever I tried affirmations, I felt wrong - I didn't believe what I was saying, and I actually felt a bit silly, like I was trying to fool myself. Does anyone else feel that way?

The only way I have found to alter my beliefs, is to confront the negative belief; to take time out to rationalise why I should change my belief to one which will help, rather than hinder me.

It's a very liberating experience - it gives a sense of self-empowerment -and it saves a hell of a lot of time.

If affirmations work for you, that's great, but if like me it just doesn't work, try talking to yourself about the issue, as though you were helping someone else with their problem.

Start from the perspective that all limiting beliefs are wrong - we are all capable of so much more than we realise. Debate with yourself how you came to get the limiting beliefs, and why it is wrong that you have been holding onto them - I have found I can change my beliefs sometimes in minutes, and I get a kick out of it when it happens.
#mind warriors #affirmations #positive #rational #reasoning
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author sergit
    Jasdon
    I'm very interested to learn how to alter my limiting beliefs and affirmations don't do it for me. I can repeat them until I turn blue but if I don't believe what they say is true it will not change.
    Some people swear by EFT and maybe it does work for them but I just find them silly.
    Do you have personal experience with the method you are talking about? Can you explain a bit more how it works for you?

    Originally Posted by jasdon View Post

    The only way I have found to alter my beliefs, is to confront the negative belief; to take time out to rationalise why I should change my belief to one which will help, rather than hinder me.

    It's a very liberating experience - it gives a sense of self-empowerment -and it saves a hell of a lot of time.

    If affirmations work for you, that's great, but if like me it just doesn't work, try talking to yourself about the issue, as though you were helping someone else with their problem.

    Start from the perspective that all limiting beliefs are wrong - we are all capable of so much more than we realise. Debate with yourself how you came to get the limiting beliefs, and why it is wrong that you have been holding onto them - I have found I can change my beliefs sometimes in minutes, and I get a kick out of it when it happens.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasdon
    What I do Sergei, is hold a discussion with myself about the issue at hand, as though I'm helping a friend to work through it.

    If your issue is that you cannot see yourself earning the sort of money you want to - ask yourself what created that limiting belief. Each point that you think of, you need to dispell using logic.
    For example, if you don't believe you can be successful because so far you haven't been - use the logic that everyone was unsuccessful right upto the point they did. That you just need to alter something to get a different result.

    If you're looking for the love of your life - just because you haven't found them yet doesn't mean you won't - very few people find that special person at the first attempt.

    It's basically just challenging any limiting beliefs with logic. Once you can see that your old belief is unfounded, it goes away, and when that happens it is automatically replaced with a positive belief.

    Changing your beliefs solely using affirmnations must be a long process, if it works for you at all. Challenging your beliefs on the other hand can lead to a change in minutes. Once you've done it successfully, it gets easier.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667235].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Jesdon,

    "Whenever I tried affirmations, I felt wrong..."

    Exactly! Feeling precedes becoming. When my affirmations don't work the root cause is the negative feelings experienced when repeating my statements. Work your way through these uncomfortable feelings, be persistent and you can create the life of your dreams with affirmations.

    RB
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667284].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sergit
      Ryan
      you are right about negative thinking and feelings being the root cause.
      What do you mean by "Work your way through these uncomfortable feelings"?
      Keep repeating these affirmations anyway until you overcome these negative thoughts? It actually can get worth because you realize the difference between reality and statements you are repeating.
      If you mean you have to get rid of you negativity first somehow else and only do affirmations when you feel good then main question - how to do it? And second question - why do you need affirmations if you feel positive already?

      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Hi Jesdon,

      "Whenever I tried affirmations, I felt wrong..."

      Exactly! Feeling precedes becoming. When my affirmations don't work the root cause is the negative feelings experienced when repeating my statements. Work your way through these uncomfortable feelings, be persistent and you can create the life of your dreams with affirmations.

      RB
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasdon
    Thing is, I never overcame those 'wrong' feelings.

    I'm not saying that affirmations don't work - there are too many people who do get results using them - it's just that they don't work for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikey22
      i think if you try using affirmations which can be true then it can help.

      ie instead of saying "I am happy and healthy etc", and having a bad feeling

      try saying "I am becoming more happy and healthy everyday" or something similar which doesnt create the bad feeling but can prove to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

      I would avoid saying anything which gives you a bad feeling, you'd be better off doing anything which provides a good feeling, ie visualizing a scene which makes you happy, watching a comedy movie, etc
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2671516].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author naruq
        You can't just repeat affirmations and do nothing else. You must change your programming. You change your programming by monitoring the books, TV shows, CD's, DVD's that you allow on a daily basis to bombard your mind. You must become the director of your own programming.
        Signature

        Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2674730].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by naruq View Post

          You can't just repeat affirmations and do nothing else. You must change your programming. You change your programming by monitoring the books, TV shows, CD's, DVD's that you allow on a daily basis to bombard your mind. You must become the director of your own programming.
          I agree with you! I usually phrase it "Garbage in, Garbage out!" though.

          MissTerraK
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2674741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Hi Jasdon and Sergit.

    Good question.

    Something that works for me is affirming the truth. The most "powerful" affirmation I've learned is from Susan Jeffers ("Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway") and that is.

    "Whatever happens, I'll handle it."

    Susan explains that this isn't trying to trick or fool yourself into believing something that isn't true, it's simply stating the truth- After all, you have handled everything that's happened to you. See the difference between this affirming truth and trying to chant your way into driving a Ferrari?

    On the other hand, if those kind of "Affirmations" are working for people then more power to them. I'd rather be taking action though.

    (More empowering affirmations here:
    www.warriorforum.com/blogs/zigzag/10493-self-esteem-affirmations.html)
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2667472].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics