What is your first reaction to this - feedback please

34 replies
It's a common thing.

We've all heard about the reliability of the "good ol' gut feeling". If you've ever had a few yourself you certainly are not alone in fact it's been reported that as many as 70% of the top CEO's admit to basing important decisions on how it felt in their gut.

But let's say that one day you learned that a way has been discovered that makes available a new capability to see visually what lies at the base of your gut feeling and allows you to describe it in details such as shape, color, and temperature.

  • 1- Would that weird you out?

OR
  • 2- would you want to know more about it?


Thanks for your feedback. I'll report back the results in this thread.
#capability #feedback #gut feelings #reaction
  • Profile picture of the author kenny5
    Both, it would weird me out but I would want to know more about it at the same time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2791484].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Thanks, but sorry, I can't allow you two votes just now (that would weird-out the results too much)

      But good on ya for saying so.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2791496].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author avariel
      Originally Posted by kenny5 View Post

      Both, it would weird me out but I would want to know more about it at the same time.
      Ditto...but seeing I have to choose one...I definitely would want to know more about it...then practice how to use it...properly.

      My gut instinct has never let me down but it's taken a long time to completely trust it...I guess because in a way it means I am trusting myself to make the best judgments.

      Mmmm...that says volumes about my self confidence, doesn't it.

      I may have to go away and think about that

      Nicole
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2800509].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author emmedi
        This reminds me what you do with submodalities when you are working on a phobia with NLP.

        People can actually say the color, shape, size and everything about their gut feeling or any other feeling they have. You just have to ask and people tell you.

        You can do it right now: think of a feeling and then think about the color, size, shape, temperature, sound, surface and any other physical feature you can think of. It's amazing, but you will get your answer like "My love is purple, with a nice velvet surface and smelling like violets".

        Best,

        Marco
        Signature
        Make Your Brand
        "Learn how to create your Fortune 500-like Brand even if your office is in a closet"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2800528].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
        Originally Posted by avariel View Post

        Ditto...but seeing I have to choose one...I definitely would want to know more about it...then practice how to use it...properly.

        My gut instinct has never let me down but it's taken a long time to completely trust it...I guess because in a way it means I am trusting myself to make the best judgments.Nicole
        Nicole. It is interesting that you mentioned that you could "then practice how to use it...properly." I had not talked out that in the post so far but since you brought it up I'll say something about it now.

        The whole idea about "seeing" something that is otherwise invisible is simply this: to build a better belief in its existence and efficacy. We sometimes can build a type of belief if we are exposed to a good argument about the subject at hand. The Earth is round is a belief pattern we were taught in school and we just believed it because it was a good compelling argument. But when we later walked towards the horizon it all made perfect sense. "The Earth must be round. I've just tested it" you might say to yourself.

        Gut feelings are real. At least they seem to be because everyone get's them. That's a great compelling argument. But if we can attach a "sighting" experience to them that would now add the element of hard evidence that would automatically notch our belief volume up a little.

        If belief through both modalities could be established then the possibility exists that we could learn to better use this most natural of human phenomena to our massive advantage.

        A solid belief in something real automatically builds trust in it. The magic here is that, because its something that's inside of you, it builds a solid belief in you too. That is something that no one can ever take away from you.
        Signature
        Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chad Heffelfinger
    I don't think I get this, why do I want to know what color and temperature my gut feeling is? Is there a reason anybody would want to know this? Maybe I would want to know what caused the gut feeling, but not so much what shape, color, or temp.

    I don't get it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2791493].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Ok Chad here's the thing. It is said that belief is everything, especially when you are making critical decisions. You have to believe it's right.

      If you could identify that a gut feeling is real by actually seeing and feeling its intensity than that would prove an otherwise incredibly intelligent phenomenon is at work helping you along. It would also prove that you are more than the sum of your parts.

      How would you feel about yourself from then on?

      Thanks for the great question.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2791515].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ruby Rynne
        Originally Posted by mobiusman View Post

        It is said that belief is everything, especially when you are making critical decisions. You have to believe it's right.
        Nearly correct. But in actuality you have to have gone beyond belief and into knowledge. It's a mindset switch which is fundamental, in my view. Thinking 'this is right' is good. Believing 'this is right' is better. KNOWING 'this is right', that's the key.

        Just how I have found it to be, when I made the transition from belief to knowledge, that's when things really started to happen.
        Signature
        SupportPal - the Internet Marketer's Secret Weapon
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2801192].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
          Originally Posted by Ruby Rynne View Post

          Nearly correct... Thinking 'this is right' is good. Believing 'this is right' is better. KNOWING 'this is right', that's the key.

          Just how I have found it to be, when I made the transition from belief to knowledge, that's when things really started to happen.
          Thanks Rynne. Might be getting into semantics here but knowledge or "knowing" something is built on a sensory experience. Example: You know that fire burns if you put your finger over a flame. Neurons in your finger deliver that message loud and clear.

          Second: We need to count on the causation of a thought that is generated. Eg: "Thinking this is right" needs to have an active trigger.

          Belief is the last step in the process. It's established through either augment or hard evidence. (Hard evidence trumps argument any day.)

          "Knowledge is great but it can only be useful if it is crowned as a belief first. Given this fact IMHO belief is everything. Knowledge is just the icing on the cake.
          Signature
          Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802282].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ruby Rynne
            Originally Posted by mobiusman View Post

            Thanks Rynne
            I haven't been called by my surname since public school

            Originally Posted by mobiusman View Post

            You know that fire burns if you put your finger over a flame. Neurons in your finger deliver that message loud and clear.
            Well, yes, that's semantics. But you also KNOW that the sun will rise tomorrow. No neurons involved, you just KNOW (ie there is no doubt in your mind).

            Originally Posted by mobiusman View Post

            Belief is the last step in the process. It's established through either augment or hard evidence. (Hard evidence trumps argument any day.)
            For me, belief is like faith. It is akin to hope, at least in this context. Knowledge, however, is based on 'just knowing', no element of doubt, no room for contradiction.

            Perhaps talking at cross-purposes, but in my experience it's not enough to 'believe', you have to KNOW, to feel it, to know it to be true despite all the evidence you think you see around you.

            For example, simply believing that 'things will get better' financially still has too much doubt, and a crisis of belief is an ever present danger. Until that element of doubt has passed and you KNOW things will get better financially, not because they are but because you just know they will, deep within you, that is when the vibrations align and you start to take the action that is needed to bring about the change you want.

            Call it belief if that suits, I don't have a problem with that, I just think a lot of people think all they have to do is try and think positive thoughts and things will change. My personal experience is that you have to go beyond belief, and manifest the feelings of success before you achieve success.
            Signature
            SupportPal - the Internet Marketer's Secret Weapon
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802355].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
              Originally Posted by Ruby Rynne View Post



              Perhaps talking at cross-purposes, but in my experience it's not enough to 'believe', you have to KNOW, to feel it, to know it to be true despite all the evidence you think you see around you.

              For example, simply believing that 'things will get better' financially still has too much doubt, and a crisis of belief is an ever present danger. Until that element of doubt has passed and you KNOW things will get better financially, not because they are but because you just know they will, deep within you, that is when the vibrations align and you start to take the action that is needed to bring about the change you want.

              Call it belief if that suits, I don't have a problem with that, I just think a lot of people think all they have to do is try and think positive thoughts and things will change. My personal experience is that you have to go beyond belief, and manifest the feelings of success before you achieve success.
              Thanks Ruby Rynne for the thoughtful post. Great discussion. (Sorry if I used your other name before)

              Just one thing I'd like to make crystal clear. I'm totally with you on the positive thinking thing. I've long been critical of a practice that just contains thinking and hoping but little action to make it so. Its all cattle and no hat I say.

              Let's not confuse authentic belief with imaginings. The former must be based on some solid foundation whereas imaginings are more pie in the sky type of thing. That's why I don't go for positive thinking on it's own. Of course it's better than negative thinking but I'd trade it any day for a "positive nature". A nature is something that is deep within you and can be bolstered by feeling a sensation in the gut area. Love is felt there. Passion is rooted there. Intelligence is felt as a "gut feeling" too. You just know it's the right decision to make (or not).

              So we are in agreement. You are right. It isn't enough to believe if the causation of that belief is not rooted in hard evidence. Throughout human history it has always been a passionate belief in one's decision that has created newness. And that newness sometimes is new knowledge itself.
              Signature
              Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kriptonyc
    definately want to know more

    it would be intriguing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2791497].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by Kriptonyc View Post

      definately want to know more

      it would be intriguing
      Glad you'd like more info. Let me just clue you in to something. Does it weird you out that you see the world through your eyes and then remember it later? Probably not. Everybody experiences that right?
      But isn't it strange that something that's physical (like the world outside of you) can convert to something as ethereal as a memory?
      But "seeing" something inside of you? Now that's another matter. Exploring this unknown frontier is still steeped in mystery. Yet there is a huge disconnect with what science knows and what we know.
      Science says that certain types of thinking can cause a weakness in the immune system.

      Hmmm... Imagine that. Something that isn't physical (thoughts) effecting the way that something that is physical behaves. If this is really happening why doesn't that weird us out?

      The gut feeling is universal. Everyone in all cultures all over the world get prompts from the gut. New ideas too.

      There is a reason for it of course. All I can say is perhaps you might want to check out my sig file or send me a PM and I'll converse with you privately. I don't want to weird out everyone on the internet just yet.

      Even though it's almost Halloween.

      Thanks for posting.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2800492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helenaldin
    Would definitely want to know more too...but I would also be weirded out! I've used the hairs on the back of my neck in many situations and I trust them a great deal. Would be interested to see just what made them stand up in certain occasions.

    Great question!
    Signature

    Wanna learn how to make money with little effort? Be sure to visit my blogs!
    http://instantmoneyplantoday.com/blog/
    http://becomerichertoday.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2798229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Interesting concept, but I would simply trust my gut on this one

    Seriously, I have no need to know the details of my inner knowing. I trust that the invisible will guide me above all else and feel that pulling back from sensory evidence on a consistent basis has allowed me to alleviate a great deal of suffering. So I like not to know, it helps me know more

    Ryan Biddulph
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2801152].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Interesting concept, but I would simply trust my gut on this one

      Seriously, I have no need to know the details of my inner knowing.

      Ryan Biddulph
      Thanks. Guess I'll have to put you down as #1- You'd be wierded out.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aiarashi
    I would want to know more, but I'm not sure I'd like to buy something that does that.
    I do believe in gut feelings, I don't need to see proof of it in a physical shape or temperature. The proof for me arrives soon enough as the results of my feeling-based actions and decisions.
    Signature
    Internet (Marketing) is Serious Business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802236].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by Cheapy S View Post

      I would want to know more, but I'm not sure I'd like to buy something that does that.
      Thanks Cheapy S. It looks like you're living up to your username here:rolleyes:
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jointaldc
    It woudn't weird me out because I know anything in this world is possible, but it would make me skeptical.
    If I trusted my "gut" feeling so much before, now that I know where the origins are coming from, would I trust it more or less?
    Interested? yes I would be.
    Though I feel our gut feeling is just our subconscious, which obtains more information than we are "awake" to
    Signature
    Jointal ---- A CPA network that operates on trust -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2802354].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by jointaldc View Post

      It woudn't weird me out because I know anything in this world is possible, but it would make me skeptical.
      If I trusted my "gut" feeling so much before, now that I know where the origins are coming from, would I trust it more or less?
      Interested? yes I would be.
      Though I feel our gut feeling is just our subconscious, which obtains more information than we are "awake" to
      I hadn't mentioned the subconscious thing yet but since you have let me just say this.
      If you feel anything at all in the body it's because a neuron has been enervated by something. That is science not me.

      In my opinion the subconscious is a term used to frequently label something we haven't a hair of understanding of. Let's set that one aside for now,

      I'm referring to something that causes neurons of the gut brain to rapidly fire signals that are picked up by the head brain. (Yes, there really is a gut brain. It's called the enteric nervous system. Google it)

      These are the same types of neurons that signal the brain when you burn your finger.

      The only mystery here is not that the gut feeling happens but that it appears that there is an intelligence associated with it. That intelligence is human. If it weren't we could not understand the messages it gives us.
      I just think we need to seriously investigate this more because it could be the single most important natural phenomenon available to all of us. It also appears that it has our best interest at heart.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2803551].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jointaldc
        Originally Posted by mobiusman View Post

        I hadn't mentioned the subconscious thing yet but since you have let me just say this.
        If you feel anything at all in the body it's because a neuron has been enervated by something. That is science not me.

        In my opinion the subconscious is a term used to frequently label something we haven't a hair of understanding of. Let's set that one aside for now,

        I'm referring to something that causes neurons of the gut brain to rapidly fire signals that are picked up by the head brain. (Yes, there really is a gut brain. It's called the enteric nervous system. Google it)

        These are the same types of neurons that signal the brain when you burn your finger.

        The only mystery here is not that the gut feeling happens but that it appears that there is an intelligence associated with it. That intelligence is human. If it weren't we could not understand the messages it gives us.
        I just think we need to seriously investigate this more because it could be the single most important natural phenomenon available to all of us. It also appears that it has our best interest at heart.
        That's hard to me, to take the subconscious out. I understand what you mean, that a lot of things we don't understand gets labeled as a "subconscious" act.
        Though, when you say that something "intelligent" inside tells us something and has our best interest at heart, to me that's just what our subconscious is.

        Though, if I found out what actually causes my gut feeling, I don't know if I could trust it. Because nothing about me is omnipotent, so how could something, inside of me, know how to guide me in the right direction every single time?
        Signature
        Jointal ---- A CPA network that operates on trust -
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2806616].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
          Originally Posted by jointaldc View Post

          ...Though, if I found out what actually causes my gut feeling, I don't know if I could trust it. Because nothing about me is omnipotent, so how could something, inside of me, know how to guide me in the right direction every single time?
          Good question. I'd probably have to write a book and even then my response would be found lacking.

          All I can appeal to is the "can I trust it" part. Obviously If what I'm saying here is real then what's happening is a first-time ever proof that we as humans are indeed more that we think we are.

          As I have pointed out many top executives have made important decisions based on gut feeling alone. Ever been to Craig's List? Craig Newmark was once quoted as saying that "I didn't have a clue. I just went with how it felt".

          All things must prove worthiness of our trust. For me and a lot of others the "good ol" gut feeling passes the test with flying colors.
          Signature
          Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2808017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoneinventor
    Without reading anyone else's reply I'm going to say that (at least the way you describe it), it sounds like some new age mumbo jumbo that would be marketed to entrepreneurs and people who are trying to make it. Hope that's not too critical but that would by my skeptical response.
    Signature

    Only those limited in imagination are also limited in potential.

    Admiring ≠ Following
    Watching Rick Steve's ≠ Traveling

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2803287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoneinventor
    Haha, Jackson good point. I meant that more to say that before reading everyone else's responses and likely picking up bias I would give my snap judgement for whatever that's worth. We hear everyday how you only have x seconds to make and impression etc. and I figured instead of giving the courtesy to think about my response for a while I would respond without a lot of thinking (like the target audience might).

    So I guess my vote is for, weird me out. Though definitely curious.
    Signature

    Only those limited in imagination are also limited in potential.

    Admiring ≠ Following
    Watching Rick Steve's ≠ Traveling

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2803372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by theoneinventor View Post

      ...So I guess my vote is for, weird me out. Though definitely curious.
      Thanks for clearing that up.
      Really getting a lot of double votes here. Everyone wants to know more even if some of them say they might be weirded out.

      Interesting.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2803563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rup
        Definitely on the want to know more side, but with a heavy dose of skeptical. The gut feeling for me is so tied into my reality that I have trouble seeing how visualizing it in a different way would be that beneficial. On the other hand, There are likely to be a LOT of people for whom being able to visualize gut feelings or put them in an easily understandable context would be quite valuable.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2804494].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
          Originally Posted by rup View Post

          Definitely on the want to know more side, but with a heavy dose of skeptical. The gut feeling for me is so tied into my reality that I have trouble seeing how visualizing it in a different way would be that beneficial. On the other hand, There are likely to be a LOT of people for whom being able to visualize gut feelings or put them in an easily understandable context would be quite valuable.
          Like most who have replied to this thread you express interest with You have brought up some interesting points here. Let me just address them one by one:

          1) Skepticism:

          Personally, I love a person who says they are a septic because once they see the hard evidence for that which they could not understand before they feel better. Being a skeptic does not feel that good because it leaves an unfilled void in a person's reasoning. It's not about proving them wrong it's about giving them new useful sometimes life-changing information that has the power to impact their future prospects for success.

          Ralf Waldo Emerson described it this way: "Skepticism is unbelief in cause and effect."

          2) Value:

          You stated that the way you experience gut feelings is sufficient for you and that's great. I have no problem with that. But then you astutely observe that others could find value in "seeing" the source of this gut- based phenomenon.

          As warriors most of us have some knowledge of the Napoleon Hill's book Think and Grow Rich. Interestingly, as I mentioned in my intro to this thread, many very successful people have admitted that they prefer to go with how it feels rather than how it looks. If that's true then gut feelings are undeniably associated with success. Developing the capability to examine more closely the nature of gut feelings 24/7 would certainly render some real value wouldn't you say?

          By extension what Dr. Hill did was record the efforts made by successful people without actually stating the one direct cause of their persistence and determination to achieve their goals. That has remained a mystery for the 80 years that has passed since the book was first published.

          Obviously, if he were able to disclose it, I would not have needed to start this thread nor go through the heartache of the three decades I spent compiling research on the gut feeling experience.

          Thanks for your great response.
          Signature
          Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2806332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shania
    I would really want to know what is in there! Gut feeling is just too powerful to ignore!
    All factors may be right but you just can't shake off this feeling!
    We were created that way in order to sense lurking danger. We have to learn how to listen to that inner voice without letting it become our way of giving excuses for our inaction! Its easy to postpone things and procrastinate and blame it on 'it did not feel right'
    Bottom line: gut feeling is there but there is a thin line between it and good old lazy excuses!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mobiusman
      Originally Posted by Shania View Post

      I would really want to know what is in there! ...We have to learn how to listen to that inner voice without letting it become our way of giving excuses for our inaction! Its easy to postpone things and procrastinate and blame it on 'it did not feel right'
      Bottom line: gut feeling is there but there is a thin line between it and good old lazy excuses!
      I think you may have a reasonable handle on this. Of course, there are those times when something feels yucky and then it should signal a "no go" type of thing. That's not procrastination it can be a valid signal that needs to be taken seriously.

      I'm not into directing people's lives though. I prefer to leave interpretation up to them. I'm not a guru by any stretch.

      All I know is that there is something that's felt as a gut feeling and I've been fortunate to have discovered a really simple way to make it so pronounced that it presents itself in a visceral/visual way. For me it has not presented in voice form though.

      I don't hear voices and, if I did, that would even weird me out.

      Thanks for you reply.

      If you want I have some free videos for you. Just see my sig file below.
      Signature
      Mobiusman talks about the Head Brain/Gut Brain system. Did you know you have two different brains?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2811595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BetGeek
    2. definitely, as it only is the modeling of something that is happening anyway.
    Signature
    IM7 London - Mastermind Group -
    Click here to apply
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2810245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PeterDunin
    Definitely weird me out!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2810380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CCGAL
    Hmmm ... nothing weirds me out any more (and no, I'm not going to say why that is) ... so I have to vote for wanting to know more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2811634].message }}

Trending Topics