The Psychology Conscious Entrepreneur

17 replies
In an ever changing, ever growing and ever evolving species, as entrepreneurs we've got to be on the raw edge of growth. To be on the raw edge of growth, we've got to be conscious of the things that underly people's behavior. I've studied psychology, brain science, and what I call "internal human experience," for quite some time now. In fact, it's my life. My understanding of the way people work has helped me significantly in my life as an entrepreneur. The reason is because when talking with other people, I'm considering their emotional condition. I'm aware of how my eye movements trigger unconscious responses in their brains and I'm in control of my own internal state. A psychology conscious entrepreneur, who is both internally adept (able to control and direct mood, thoughts, feelings and reactions) and externally acutely sensitized (able to zero in on and be conscious of people's emotional conditions), has the edge in 2010 going into 2011. Thanks for reading everyone!
#conscious #entrepreneur #psychology
  • Profile picture of the author JustinP
    Great post Ryan. This stuff is incredibly important and if you can learn/apply these principles in business the way you have described here, you can be extremely successful. I think the challenge is to do what you do and that is to make a practice of it. Most people are not as interested in personal development as those of us who read this forum.

    But if you show those people the direct benefits of it (for example, understanding the psychology behind a massively successful sales letter that converts into huge sales), they might be much more interested in making it a "practice"

    By the way, I'm glad you changed your profile picture. Your last pic made you look about 3 times older than you actually are LMAO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3012154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
      Originally Posted by JustinP View Post

      Great post Ryan. This stuff is incredibly important and if you can learn/apply these principles in business the way you have described here, you can be extremely successful. I think the challenge is to do what you do and that is to make a practice of it. Most people are not as interested in personal development as those of us who read this forum.

      But if you show those people the direct benefits of it (for example, understanding the psychology behind a massively successful sales letter that converts into huge sales), they might be much more interested in making it a "practice"

      By the way, I'm glad you changed your profile picture. Your last pic made you look about 3 times older than you actually are LMAO
      J man! Great reply. We just all learned the science of a great reply on the Warrior Forum! You're right on the picture, I definitely don't want to look twice my young buck age! I am totally with you, I agree 100%. Thanks for commenting! Great "state change" technique on your site, love it!
      Signature

      We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3012250].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinP
    HAHA! Thanks man. I can't believe how many people thought I was being serious. It made me laugh pretty hard. But I guess in the end...it DID change my state so it worked.

    Thanks again for the great post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3012869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vincenzo Oliva
    A good read you might like "Neuromarketing" Understanding the "Buy buttons" in your customer's brain. By Patrick Renvoise & Christophe Morin. I have it on my shelf.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3012903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
      Originally Posted by Vincenzo Oliva View Post

      A good read you might like "Neuromarketing" Understanding the "Buy buttons" in your customer's brain. By Patrick Renvoise & Christophe Morin. I have it on my shelf.
      I'll check it out for sure! I know that's massively valuable. Thanks for commenting.
      Signature

      We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3014934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scortillion
    I’ve found that even though watching your interaction with a person in person is important but it’s even more so in writing. In person you have the advantage to add facial expressions and body language to a conversation to help get your point across and build trust.

    In writing it’s a different story all together. You have to be very careful in the words you choose and the train of thought you follow. Too many times people jump to the wrong conclusion because they add vocal tones and body language to your writing that you didn’t mean and they change the entire meaning of your writing.

    In the end the responsibility falls on the writer. As a reader we should be more careful and try not to add to what is not there, but it ultimately fall to the writer to try harder to convey his thoughts and emotions in he/her writing.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3014270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DannyDarwin
    Originally Posted by rcritchett View Post

    In an ever changing, ever growing and ever evolving species, as entrepreneurs we've got to be on the raw edge of growth. To be on the raw edge of growth, we've got to be conscious of the things that underly people's behavior. I've studied psychology, brain science, and what I call "internal human experience," for quite some time now. In fact, it's my life. My understanding of the way people work has helped me significantly in my life as an entrepreneur. The reason is because when talking with other people, I'm considering their emotional condition. I'm aware of how my eye movements trigger unconscious responses in their brains and I'm in control of my own internal state. A psychology conscious entrepreneur, who is both internally adept (able to control and direct mood, thoughts, feelings and reactions) and externally acutely sensitized (able to zero in on and be conscious of people's emotional conditions), has the edge in 2010 going into 2011. Thanks for reading everyone!
    Ryan, how would you translate these skills to the online world, where the potential buyer visits a website and you don't have the kind of direct communication that you mention?

    How do you "read the mind" of someone online? (I'm not expecting a scientifically proved formula here, just curious about your thoughts on the topic)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3014310].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scortillion
      Originally Posted by DannyDarwin View Post

      Ryan, how would you translate these skills to the online world, where the potential buyer visits a website and you don't have the kind of direct communication that you mention?

      How do you "read the mind" of someone online? (I'm not expecting a scientifically proved formula here, just curious about your thoughts on the topic)
      ou will never be able to meet everyone's needs but there are psychological triggers that will affect people.

      A good book on these triggers is Joe Sugarman's Triggers
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3014512].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
      Originally Posted by DannyDarwin View Post

      Ryan, how would you translate these skills to the online world, where the potential buyer visits a website and you don't have the kind of direct communication that you mention?

      How do you "read the mind" of someone online? (I'm not expecting a scientifically proved formula here, just curious about your thoughts on the topic)
      I think we all have genius in us, if we take 40 minutes to sit in pure thought. That alone changes people's lives. Because we're coming from the place where GO GO GO is the typical pattern, most people don't engage in exploratory thinking, where thoughts go right past beliefs, into creation.

      In this area, people want to come to your site and feel emotion, and trust you. They don't want a squeeze page with bullet points. Even though marketers are used to that, everyday people aren't. It definitely still works, I just bought E-book software from a squeeze page but I think that getting on the human side, creates rapport. I suggest an audio clip, or a video to transfer the message of safety and care from you to the people who visit your site!

      Me for example, if someone comes to my website, I know they want to expand psychologically, mentally, and in their lives. I try to deliver such valuable content, FREE to give people the awareness that I'm not trying to sell them on an E-book, but give them strategies of the mind and mental elements that can truly get them to start being in command. What's helped me tremendously is to just be psychology conscious. Be aware of the fact that right now, as someone is on your site, their mind is firing off a bunch of questions, they're getting emotional responses in their bodies and those things are constituting the end result, which is two decisions: yes or no. Being conscious of these kinds of things, is the "difference that makes the difference." I'm not a marketer on the net, in fact I don't know too much about it, but I know people, and they want to feel comfortable. Thanks for commenting! I hope you can find value in this answer! Great question.
      Signature

      We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3014968].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AwesomePossum
        Originally Posted by rcritchett View Post

        I think we all have genius in us, if we take 40 minutes to sit in pure thought. That alone changes people's lives. Because we're coming from the place where GO GO GO is the typical pattern, most people don't engage in exploratory thinking, where thoughts go right past beliefs, into creation.

        In this area, people want to come to your site and feel emotion, and trust you. They don't want a squeeze page with bullet points. Even though marketers are used to that, everyday people aren't. It definitely still works, I just bought E-book software from a squeeze page but I think that getting on the human side, creates rapport. I suggest an audio clip, or a video to transfer the message of safety and care from you to the people who visit your site!

        Me for example, if someone comes to my website, I know they want to expand psychologically, mentally, and in their lives. I try to deliver such valuable content, FREE to give people the awareness that I'm not trying to sell them on an E-book, but give them strategies of the mind and mental elements that can truly get them to start being in command. What's helped me tremendously is to just be psychology conscious. Be aware of the fact that right now, as someone is on your site, their mind is firing off a bunch of questions, they're getting emotional responses in their bodies and those things are constituting the end result, which is two decisions: yes or no. Being conscious of these kinds of things, is the "difference that makes the difference." I'm not a marketer on the net, in fact I don't know too much about it, but I know people, and they want to feel comfortable. Thanks for commenting! I hope you can find value in this answer! Great question.
        Very nice...developing rapport is genuinely the #2 marketing strategy there is, #1 being value.

        I 100% agree with rcritchett. People don't want a squeeze page looking to convert all the time and neither does google

        They want interaction, fresh content, and most importantly they want visitors to stay at your site

        Not to mention as far as conversion goes....if you're always interacting with your visitors and giving them free content, sending them newsletters and you're yourself, they trust you and when you go to launch a product or sell something new and you give them free stuff about the product THEY LOVE you and they're willing to buy much more than a squeeze page.

        Customers like to see there's actually someone real.

        Be in a market you love so you'll have a very responsive list AND you'll be having some fun.

        Personalization gets some great conversion...Eben Pagan, Jeff Walker and Frank Kern all use this strategy and all 3 make millions.

        Hope this helped some,

        Aaryn
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3016233].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
          Originally Posted by AwesomePossum View Post

          Very nice...developing rapport is genuinely the #2 marketing strategy there is, #1 being value.

          I 100% agree with rcritchett. People don't want a squeeze page looking to convert all the time and neither does google

          They want interaction, fresh content, and most importantly they want visitors to stay at your site

          Not to mention as far as conversion goes....if you're always interacting with your visitors and giving them free content, sending them newsletters and you're yourself, they trust you and when you go to launch a product or sell something new and you give them free stuff about the product THEY LOVE you and they're willing to buy much more than a squeeze page.

          Customers like to see there's actually someone real.

          Be in a market you love so you'll have a very responsive list AND you'll be having some fun.

          Personalization gets some great conversion...Eben Pagan, Jeff Walker and Frank Kern all use this strategy and all 3 make millions.

          Hope this helped some,

          Aaryn
          Well Put Aaryn!
          Signature

          We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3016734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kenster
    Originally Posted by rcritchett View Post

    In an ever changing, ever growing and ever evolving species, as entrepreneurs we've got to be on the raw edge of growth. To be on the raw edge of growth, we've got to be conscious of the things that underly people's behavior. I've studied psychology, brain science, and what I call "internal human experience," for quite some time now. In fact, it's my life. My understanding of the way people work has helped me significantly in my life as an entrepreneur. The reason is because when talking with other people, I'm considering their emotional condition. I'm aware of how my eye movements trigger unconscious responses in their brains and I'm in control of my own internal state. A psychology conscious entrepreneur, who is both internally adept (able to control and direct mood, thoughts, feelings and reactions) and externally acutely sensitized (able to zero in on and be conscious of people's emotional conditions), has the edge in 2010 going into 2011. Thanks for reading everyone!


    Agreed, I have some background in psychology as well (in terms of education, not profession) and it certainly does help.

    I would say the most important part of psychology as it relates to entrepreneurship is certainly emotional intelligence. Its really a hugely important concept for every interpersonal aspect of your life, not just your business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3017837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
      Originally Posted by Kenster View Post

      Agreed, I have some background in psychology as well (in terms of education, not profession) and it certainly does help.

      I would say the most important part of psychology as it relates to entrepreneurship is certainly emotional intelligence. Its really a hugely important concept for every interpersonal aspect of your life, not just your business.
      I couldn't have said it better myself! You're on fire with that one.
      Signature

      We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3020706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DannyDarwin
    Ryan,

    You took some of your time to reply to my questions, thanks!

    Last days this topic has been on my mind and I've tried to come up with a way to reverse engineer the visitors emotional state.

    Some kind of emotional segmentation.

    Let's say my main product is "How to build websites".

    Now, I don't know why my visitors want to build websites. But, perhaps I can zoom in a bit and find out.

    Two keep it simple, I could make two pages:

    1. How to build websites that everyone wants and make serious cash as a freelancer

    2. How to build websites for your business and stop worrying about getting clients

    Same product, different purpose. I could then do SEO and post a link to the first site on sites that are visited by webdevelopers. The second would target small business forums and such.

    Perhaps it would make both pages convert better compared to having only one page that would try to meet everyone's needs.

    Just some random thoughts, thank you for the inspiration!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3020084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rcritchett
      Originally Posted by DannyDarwin View Post

      Ryan,

      You took some of your time to reply to my questions, thanks!

      Last days this topic has been on my mind and I've tried to come up with a way to reverse engineer the visitors emotional state.

      Some kind of emotional segmentation.

      Let's say my main product is "How to build websites".

      Now, I don't know why my visitors want to build websites. But, perhaps I can zoom in a bit and find out.

      Two keep it simple, I could make two pages:

      1. How to build websites that everyone wants and make serious cash as a freelancer

      2. How to build websites for your business and stop worrying about getting clients

      Same product, different purpose. I could then do SEO and post a link to the first site on sites that are visited by webdevelopers. The second would target small business forums and such.

      Perhaps it would make both pages convert better compared to having only one page that would try to meet everyone's needs.

      Just some random thoughts, thank you for the inspiration!
      Very Great Strategies! You're ahead of the game! It's my pleasure to be a part of any powerful distinction someone can learn, strategy of the mind, or any other psychological or physical element that can help us all create great things.
      Signature

      We do mail-in iPhone Repair Services, Nationwide in the US. LCD/Digitizer Glass Replacement And More.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3020704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by DannyDarwin View Post

      Ryan,

      You took some of your time to reply to my questions, thanks!

      Last days this topic has been on my mind and I've tried to come up with a way to reverse engineer the visitors emotional state.

      Some kind of emotional segmentation.

      Let's say my main product is "How to build websites".

      Now, I don't know why my visitors want to build websites. But, perhaps I can zoom in a bit and find out.

      Two keep it simple, I could make two pages:

      1. How to build websites that everyone wants and make serious cash as a freelancer

      2. How to build websites for your business and stop worrying about getting clients

      Same product, different purpose. I could then do SEO and post a link to the first site on sites that are visited by webdevelopers. The second would target small business forums and such.

      Perhaps it would make both pages convert better compared to having only one page that would try to meet everyone's needs.

      Just some random thoughts, thank you for the inspiration!

      I think you are on to something there. The more targeted you make your marketing message, the better it will convert. I tell people this all the time.

      You can literally have one single product and have 10 different sales funnels for that same product. If you find a way to segment your visitors (or artificially segment like setting up very specific niche sites) then you can be laser specific on your copy to that individual group and overall conversion on the product will undoubtedly be higher.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3028414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Bell
    Right on the money my friend thanks for sharing.

    Running a business, dealing with people, and your ability to make money- all of this is a cerebral process, because people are the life blood that keeps an individual in business. I can remember my first encounters in dealing with people face to face; it was by far the hardest thing I had ever done because I had to learn the art of pacing. Even though that client may have been a choleric type personality, & I’m more amiable, I had to learn to match his personality in an authentic fashion. The responses, what you say, how you say it, how what you say is interpreted, having an understanding of the individuals upbringing and knowing what colloquialisms not to use; Knowing when to sale, when to continue setting at ease building a relationship, how to transition properly in to the building phase of selling…All of this takes having a strong understanding of the human psyche. I had to learn to be empathetic- putting myself in the customer’s shoes and peeling the onion of the walls of skeptisims, and tuning into the thoughts and objections. The truth is people love to buy but hate to be sold to, and in this day and age because we are bombarded with so much ‘noise’ and hype-its imperative we are on our best game all the time.
    Signature

    Want real world field tested SMS training? SMS is what I know. You can check out our best stuff here: http://mobilebizsuccess.com/sms-madness//

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3028762].message }}

Trending Topics