Will More Money Really Make You Happy?

by bjgran
59 replies
I know that's a loaded question, and I'm going to venture in another direction than most "motivators" and say -- YES! More money in your coffers can make you happier. Of course, there's health and peace of mind, but money can help there too.

I've been thinking about this lately because I've found myself at a crossroads where if I don't work very hard at building my business to make more money, I'm going to be in a position I've always had nightmares about.

My daughter, Tiffany, has become my mentor and is doing everything she can to help me learn the IMing business and through this process, I've learned there are many others in the same position I am -- more than I ever realized.

It's more work than I ever thought it would be. And, I'm not as fast as I used to be. It's both a learning process and time-consuming.

So, I was thinking of all the ways that building my income will make me happy. Well, I won't have to fret as much to pay the bills. I won't have to juggle every month to make sure all my obligations are met.

But, other than that, maybe I can get my hair done once in a while...take the grandchildren to get ice cream, go to lunch with a girlfriend, take some time to volunteer -- something I always enjoyed. Simple things...

SO -- I want to know if you guys think more money will make you happy -- and if so, HOW will it make you happier?

I'm looking forward to becoming deliriously happy!!!
Beverly G.
#happy #make #money
  • Profile picture of the author ara67
    no, but it sure help's
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wizardofwisdom
    Your attitude to money makes me happy! It will certainly make you happy because you already have a great approach to getting it and healthy ideas about what you'll do with it.

    The problem with your question is that you can't generalise and say that money will make anyone happy because someone who is fearful of loss for example is going to have that fear magnified as they become wealthier.

    It's your disposition that makes you happy - the money amplifies what you naturally already have!

    I do think you might enjoy Tony Robbins' comment about money. He said, "Money won't solve all your problems. But it will allow you to arrive at them in style!"

    Good luck with your journey to affluence - I'm sure you'll do great - you seem like a lady with fantastic spirit.

    Cheers,
    Trevor Emdon.
    Signature
    Establish your online biz in weeks not months without selling, coercing, persuading or manipulating anyone into buying your services... Talk to me for FREE...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulMark
    Well, being broke doesn't make you happy!

    But not having money as a stress, I'd say the flexibility is gives makes me happy.

    Not being able to pay a bill = not happy.

    Being able to pay the mortgage without a thought = happy.

    I like what Trevor said... it's in the attitude about money. People who are miserable in general won't be happy with or without money.

    Money make me happier because it allows me to work from home.

    Money makes me happy because I can support a village of orphans with it.

    Money makes me happy because it is a tool that lets you leverage many situations.
    Signature
    Just PM questions : Paul answers questions about rapid product creation, recurring revenue and creating online training programs. Mark answers questions about SEO, organic traffic, & local business marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      lack of money is the source of much unhappiness. If you get enough or more than enough money comng in to end worries about money and a allow you to do more. Then yes money will allow you to be happier. IF you chose.

      It has to be enough and more than enough. Socially we are trained to have barely enough or not quite enough money.. Which makes us unhappy. more money if you ad more expenses will just leave you where you are emotionally.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289574].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GlobalTrader
        Money will not, nor can it make you happy.

        However, having 'enough' money sure makes your daily life a lot less stressful. Knowing you have enough to buy a new appliance if an old one goes caput and getting the one you want, not the one you need to settle for or if you have an emergency like a loved one needing to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance and your insurance isn't the best, knowing you can pay the ambulance without having to cut back on other necessities.

        Much less stress but it can't change a miserable old codger (like me) into a happy old codger.
        Signature

        GlobalTrader

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author robzeeb
    Hi Bev. Money and choices, eh? If you've got the money you get the choice. No money-little choice. But does more money mean making better choices? Not if you're Charlie Sheen. And I'am enjoying following you and Tiff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miawallace
    When I'm broke I'm stressed and generally feel run down. The relief of having something extra in the bank account is always welcome. I don't think that more money equals more happiness, though. Just being comfortable is all that's necessary.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hotftuna
    Yes! When my IM biz was doing very well, here is what I used to do-

    I would go to a nice restaurant like Capital Grill and ask for the largest lobster they had. That made me happy.
    Signature
    HeDir.com ranks #1 for "human edited web directory"


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pursuit2Success
    Money can make you happy, you see you have to look at it both ways, only if you know how to use it just like charity, when you give money to people they are happy and so will you. Honestly, you need money to survive in this world and you use it to buy stuff which can make you happy right because you need it? Think about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gravitehx
    Well, it's like up to some point money can lead the way to happiness because it removes problems and if you're free of financial problems then you are free to discover your true way to happiness. I used to think that buying all the luxury things like cars and houses would bring me closer to happiness but it doesn't. The happiness is in small things, such as the sun and stars in the sky, nature, great hobbies, etc, and in LOVE, in all it's different forms!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289945].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pvtryan
    it depends but mostly money is the source of everything
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3290012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Gold
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    take some time to volunteer -- something I always enjoyed.
    You nailed it right there Beverly!

    Money does not make one happy. It does afford one the time to be of service to others, which is where we will ultimately find our greatest happiness.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bilzz
    Yes ,if you have more money ..you can do better in your business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Orator
    I'm with LD on this one.

    More money means I have more freedom to pursue things I want to do, and to experience things I want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freebroc1
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    I know that's a loaded question, and I'm going to venture in another direction than most "motivators" and say -- YES! More money in your coffers can make you happier. Of course, there's health and peace of mind, but money can help there too.

    I've been thinking about this lately because I've found myself at a crossroads where if I don't work very hard at building my business to make more money, I'm going to be in a position I've always had nightmares about.

    My daughter, Tiffany, has become my mentor and is doing everything she can to help me learn the IMing business and through this process, I've learned there are many others in the same position I am -- more than I ever realized.

    It's more work than I ever thought it would be. And, I'm not as fast as I used to be. It's both a learning process and time-consuming.

    So, I was thinking of all the ways that building my income will make me happy. Well, I won't have to fret as much to pay the bills. I won't have to juggle every month to make sure all my obligations are met.

    But, other than that, maybe I can get my hair done once in a while...take the grandchildren to get ice cream, go to lunch with a girlfriend, take some time to volunteer -- something I always enjoyed. Simple things...

    SO -- I want to know if you guys think more money will make you happy -- and if so, HOW will it make you happier?

    I'm looking forward to becoming deliriously happy!!!
    Beverly G.
    This is as true as 'Sun rises in the East'. that 'Money will not make u happy'.
    Do u think money can make sure 'That i will not die'
    'That i will not get sick'
    'That i can own every thing on this planet'
    'That i can buy a finger like original of mine'
    'That i can have an ear original of mine'
    There are so many issues that money cannot resolve so this is not true 'More money make you happy'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author feiyin85
    It depends how you going to spend the money on.Paying bills,better standard of living,paying for children education,helping unfortunate people to improve their lives...there is a lot more things which money can do.
    Signature

    Are you motivated?How are you motivated?
    Share with me at my blog
    http://www.subjectinspiration.com to share or find out more...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3293468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulMark
    Update.... made more money today and I'm happier.
    Signature
    Just PM questions : Paul answers questions about rapid product creation, recurring revenue and creating online training programs. Mark answers questions about SEO, organic traffic, & local business marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3295764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bjgran
      Originally Posted by Wizardofwisdom View Post

      Your attitude to money makes me happy! It will certainly make you happy because you already have a great approach to getting it and healthy ideas about what you'll do with it.

      The problem with your question is that you can't generalise and say that money will make anyone happy because someone who is fearful of loss for example is going to have that fear magnified as they become wealthier.

      It's your disposition that makes you happy - the money amplifies what you naturally already have!

      I do think you might enjoy Tony Robbins' comment about money. He said, "Money won't solve all your problems. But it will allow you to arrive at them in style!"

      Good luck with your journey to affluence - I'm sure you'll do great - you seem like a lady with fantastic spirit.

      Cheers,
      Trevor Emdon.
      Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post

      Well, being broke doesn't make you happy!

      But not having money as a stress, I'd say the flexibility is gives makes me happy.

      Not being able to pay a bill = not happy.

      Being able to pay the mortgage without a thought = happy.

      I like what Trevor said... it's in the attitude about money. People who are miserable in general won't be happy with or without money.

      Money make me happier because it allows me to work from home.

      Money makes me happy because I can support a village of orphans with it.

      Money makes me happy because it is a tool that lets you leverage many situations.
      Originally Posted by robzeeb View Post

      Hi Bev. Money and choices, eh? If you've got the money you get the choice. No money-little choice. But does more money mean making better choices? Not if you're Charlie Sheen. And I'am enjoying following you and Tiff.
      Originally Posted by miawallace View Post

      When I'm broke I'm stressed and generally feel run down. The relief of having something extra in the bank account is always welcome. I don't think that more money equals more happiness, though. Just being comfortable is all that's necessary.
      Originally Posted by David Gold View Post

      You nailed it right there Beverly!

      Money does not make one happy. It does afford one the time to be of service to others, which is where we will ultimately find our greatest happiness.
      Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post

      The more money I have, the more I can give to others. And the more I can give to others, the happier I become.

      I just listened to an interview with Robert Kiyosaki and his sister, Tenzin. Tenzin is a Buddhist nun who thought that living a simple life and meditating (without concern for money) was enough to live a satisfying life.

      It was not until she had cancer and heart disease did she realized how important having a balanced life (and that includes taking care of your finances) can be.

      Here's the interview if you want to listen to it:
      Robert Kiyosaki Free Interview Download

      Cheers,
      Michael
      Michael:
      You broke it down so succinctly -- I totally agree.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3299283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author feiyin85
      Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post

      Update.... made more money today and I'm happier.
      Can't agree more.
      Signature

      Are you motivated?How are you motivated?
      Share with me at my blog
      http://www.subjectinspiration.com to share or find out more...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3299459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bjgran
    I messed up on the "multi-quote" -- haven't got the hang of this yet.
    But, thanks to all who replied. You gave me much to think about.
    Beverly G.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3299297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Evans
    Money is an illusion. Money gives you the freedom to experience life on your own terms
    Signature
    Ultimate Power Proffits is going to change the way we make money online. This is the start of something Huge. More Millionaires will be made in the history of Online Marketing. Register and don't miss out.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3301641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scortillion
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    I know that's a loaded question, and I'm going to venture in another direction than most "motivators" and say -- YES! More money in your coffers can make you happier. Of course, there's health and peace of mind, but money can help there too.

    I've been thinking about this lately because I've found myself at a crossroads where if I don't work very hard at building my business to make more money, I'm going to be in a position I've always had nightmares about.

    My daughter, Tiffany, has become my mentor and is doing everything she can to help me learn the IMing business and through this process, I've learned there are many others in the same position I am -- more than I ever realized.

    It's more work than I ever thought it would be. And, I'm not as fast as I used to be. It's both a learning process and time-consuming.

    So, I was thinking of all the ways that building my income will make me happy. Well, I won't have to fret as much to pay the bills. I won't have to juggle every month to make sure all my obligations are met.

    But, other than that, maybe I can get my hair done once in a while...take the grandchildren to get ice cream, go to lunch with a girlfriend, take some time to volunteer -- something I always enjoyed. Simple things...

    SO -- I want to know if you guys think more money will make you happy -- and if so, HOW will it make you happier?

    I'm looking forward to becoming deliriously happy!!!
    Beverly G.
    A lot of people try to sound all moral when it comes to this question like it's a bad thing to have money. Everyone knows it's not the money that makes you happy but what you can DO with it, and what you can get with it; so YES money will make you happier.

    Yes money will make you happier. Let's face it would you rather be rich or poor? What would make you happier? Having no money and in debt or having a nice home, new car and feeling free and out of debt?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3301730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIGITALCHAMELEON
    Not really, time freedom and financial seems could make me happy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3304466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author extremelyhappy
    I'd say no. Money definitely gives me more option to do loads of things that I want. Many things in life that money cant buy. But again..it depends on the person. You can debate about this almost forever!
    Signature

    Ambar Hamid

    Profit Your Business With LinkedIN Today. Anyone Can Do It. I've Made It All So Easy! :) http://goo.gl/vnCTTZ

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3305043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angelguy
    Hey to some extent it sure makes me happy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3305074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Cadaverous
    More money does make you happier.
    It would mean I don't have to only have one meal a day because of bills I have to pay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3305112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author csrpj
    not directly, and indeed a lot of people mistake what money or power or stuff that like will give to them as far as real happiness goes.

    however, indirectly, it really can. soon when i have more money from internet marketing, i'll be happier because i'll get to travel more, afford massages, better quality food and supplements (which biologically will make me happier), therapy if i need it, etc...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3305762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HiAbby
    I must say that I agree with most people on this thread. Money can't bring you happiness. Except when it comes to the stress of not being able to pay bills, because of course, being able to know that "everything is going to be okay" leaves a person feeling pretty content with life.

    Though as for the "extra stuff" that money brings- I absolutely believe it doesn't bring you happiness. There have been many months when my husband and I are so broke, we dress up in our nicest outfits just to stay in and slow dance in our own living room- and those were some of the best times.

    I don't believe money can make you happy- if you aren't already happy. So many people are angry or depressed and believe that money will be their salvation- and fix their lives. Work on making yourself happy, and those around you first, that way when you do start making some big dollars- all it will do is boost you further!!

    Sometimes, when working in IM, you get tunnel vision- "I MUST MAKE MONEY!" "$$$$$", ALL the time, don't forget that the best part of making money online is the opportunity it gives you to spend more time at home, and with the ones you love.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3306843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarah2472
    I've been on both sides - broke and had money. When I had "a lot" of money, it was because I was married to a miserable person that made me VERY unhappy. So, while I had the bucks to spend, no I wasn't happy/happier. When I got divorced, I was flat broke. But, surprisingly, was incredibly happy. Sure, not being able to pay the bills is stressful. To me, the self esteem, self respect and confidence I gained made me far happier than the money.

    That's certainly not to say that I'd prefer to be broke, lol. I guess I've just learned that true happiness comes from within. If you don't have that, no amount of money is going to give you happiness.
    Signature

    -- Sarah

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3306959].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Murt@gh
      Originally Posted by sarah2472 View Post

      I've been on both sides - broke and had money. When I had "a lot" of money, it was because I was married to a miserable person that made me VERY unhappy. So, while I had the bucks to spend, no I wasn't happy/happier. When I got divorced, I was flat broke. But, surprisingly, was incredibly happy. Sure, not being able to pay the bills is stressful. To me, the self esteem, self respect and confidence I gained made me far happier than the money.

      That's certainly not to say that I'd prefer to be broke, lol. I guess I've just learned that true happiness comes from within. If you don't have that, no amount of money is going to give you happiness.
      Nice, I agree as I can relate (minus the marriage part) lol.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3358782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amandabeggs
    Money is very high on the list of important things. Money is not the objects its the choices one with money gets to make. It is the situations that are handled with money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3307084].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashonly
    Happiness is not about money. But, if you don't have enough to cover your bases, then achieving happiness is pretty tough.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3307278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ce2gain
    It all depends on your definition of happiness. Money does provide more choices, options and freedom, but how much money is enough? There was an article at Time.com recently that published a study on happiness and money. They found that we need $75K a year to be happy. Above $75K doesn't seem to buy more happiness.

    Study: Money Buys Happiness When Income Is $75,000 - TIME

    Beverly, I'm really enjoying following your progress. I love your transparency and your honesty - both yours and Tiffany's.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3307297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Idrees
    Aha, my first post!

    Having no money = less options available to you and your family.

    Time = Money to an extent. The more money you have, the more quality time you can spend with your family and I suspect many people reading this will understand exactly what I mean. That quality time goes a loooong way ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3313500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alcymart
    More Money can be a blessing for some or a nightmare for others. More Money will make anyone happier at first. What they do with the Money will determine if it will be a blessing or a nightmare for them. For most people, and I would say 80% of folks, it will be a nightmare! People simply are not use to having more money overnight. They fly out the door and go on a spending spree without second thought! Sure they will get a high, but trust me the low part will come and they'll feel very depressed...and worst off.

    I am among the minority group for which Money becomes a blessing. "But why" you may be asking yourself! That's because I am simply not attracted to Money. Not anymore! I spend my Money wisely now, and happiness follows me everywhere I go! I think twice before buying this or that although I have more than enough money to buy a truckload of material things. Money doesn't depress or make me happier. I been indifferent the last 7 or 8 years and I am much happier than I have ever been in my life before.

    A Proven statistical fact: If you were already happy before having more money, you will remain happy. If you were unhappy before having more Money, you will remain unhappy. Money will not have changed anything once everything balances out.

    What makes me happy is my family, my improving health, my dogs...

    Bernard
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3313622].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AEC
      I think you hit the nail on the head... It depends on what you do with it.

      That feeling of" buying stuff will make me happy" takes a while for some of us to knock down though. Our minds can play tricks on what makes us happy.
      Originally Posted by alcymart View Post

      More Money can be a blessing for some or a nightmare for others. More Money will make anyone happier at first. What they do with the Money will determine if it will be a blessing or a nightmare for them. For most people, and I would say 80% of folks, it will be a nightmare! People simply are not use to having more money overnight. They fly out the door and go on a spending spree without second thought! Sure they will get a high, but trust me the low part will come and they'll feel very depressed...and worst off.

      I am among the minority group for which Money becomes a blessing. "But why" you may be asking yourself! That's because I am simply not attracted to Money. Not anymore! I spend my Money wisely now, and happiness follows me everywhere I go! I think twice before buying this or that although I have more than enough money to buy a truckload of material things. Money doesn't depress or make me happier. I been indifferent the last 7 or 8 years and I am much happier than I have ever been in my life before.

      A Proven statistical fact: If you were already happy before having more money, you will remain happy. If you were unhappy before having more Money, you will remain unhappy. Money will not have changed anything once everything balances out.

      What makes me happy is my family, my improving health, my dogs...

      Bernard
      Signature
      If you place good service ahead of making money... opportunities to make money will present themselves.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3314290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author loganquinn
    My .02's - I know lots of millionaires who are probably the least happiest people I've ever met. But I also know lots of millionaires who are quite happy. So, I guess it's true: money really doesn't buy happiness!
    Signature
    www.loganquinn.com (Ignore The Hype)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3314330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMoptimizer
    To sum up what most warriors have been (rightfully) pointing at, money is a means to an end. It is up to each of us how we integrate this with the "bigger picture" of our life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3316466].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DominiquePrentiss
      Originally Posted by IMoptimizer View Post

      To sum up what most warriors have been (rightfully) pointing at, money is a means to an end. It is up to each of us how we integrate this with the "bigger picture" of our life.
      I agree with you. I just finished up Tony Robbins
      "Get The Edge" and I started with The "Personal Power"
      portion and I was shocked at my attitude toward money
      and getting things done.

      Now money doesn't buy happiness, but I've found that
      it makes MY life much easier. Because I'm not worried
      about how I'm going to feed my children or pay my
      outrageously high light bill, I can focus on other things
      that need my attention.

      Debt can really clog up your mind. And for some of us,
      it can be all consuming if we were bought up in poverty
      and living a life of lack.

      I was raised to believe that God wants us poor and that
      kept me from being successful. But when I shed that belief
      life took on new meaning.


      So, I'm not happy because of more money, I'm happy
      because I no longer BELIEVE money is the root of all
      evil.

      It's amazing the way our thoughts can wreak havoc
      on our lives and make us miserable.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3316577].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bjgran
        Originally Posted by DominiquePrentiss View Post

        I agree with you. I just finished up Tony Robbins
        "Get The Edge" and I started with The "Personal Power"
        portion and I was shocked at my attitude toward money
        and getting things done.

        Now money doesn't buy happiness, but I've found that
        it makes MY life much easier. Because I'm not worried
        about how I'm going to feed my children or pay my
        outrageously high light bill, I can focus on other things
        that need my attention.

        Debt can really clog up your mind. And for some of us,
        it can be all consuming if we were bought up in poverty
        and living a life of lack.


        I was raised to believe that God wants us poor and that
        kept me from being successful. But when I shed that belief
        life took on new meaning.


        So, I'm not happy because of more money, I'm happy
        because I no longer BELIEVE money is the root of all
        evil.

        It's amazing the way our thoughts can wreak havoc
        on our lives and make us miserable.
        I'm going to try a Tony Robbins book. I've seen them mentioned several times on the Warrior Forum. Right now, I'm reading "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Debbie Ford. She's an excellent writer, motivator, inspirational -- if you haven't already read one of her books, I think you'd enjoy it.
        Beverly G.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3316915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimberly Aita
    absolutely without a doubt.... I think it would ease some stress and give me more time to spend with my kids, grandkids, family, and animals and that would make me VERY happy....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3316590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    I don't think money itself is what makes us happy.

    I think having more money gives you more freedom to spend time with your family and friends and do what YOU want.

    For example, if I had a million sittin in the bank, there's no way I'd have a day job! Instead I'd spend all day with my buddies and family.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3316843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carol_A
    What would I do if I had zillions of dollars in the bank?

    As others have stated, yes, I would be helping others, devoting time to make a difference in someone's life. I try to do that now, but wish I had more time. . . but earning a living is getting in the way.

    .
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3329648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rickcast66
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    I know that's a loaded question, and I'm going to venture in another direction than most "motivators" and say -- YES! More money in your coffers can make you happier. Of course, there's health and peace of mind, but money can help there too.

    So, I was thinking of all the ways that building my income will make me happy. Well, I won't have to fret as much to pay the bills. I won't have to juggle every month to make sure all my obligations are met.

    But, other than that, maybe I can get my hair done once in a while...take the grandchildren to get ice cream, go to lunch with a girlfriend, take some time to volunteer -- something I always enjoyed. Simple things...

    SO -- I want to know if you guys think more money will make you happy -- and if so, HOW will it make you happier?
    I"m going to say yes too. At least for me. Then again maybe I just worry too much about my financial future. Family and health are very good for me. While I have enough to pay the bills and go on a vacation or two. It would just be nice to have overflow .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3357405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pethanks
    It is good to have money but if you will love that money more than anything else then that is really bad already. And also, money can't make you happy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3359438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TyroneShelley
    Money can't bring happiness, But it gives you peace of mind and freedom to be able to enjoy your life and live it on your terms.
    Signature

    The Most Powerful System On The Market Today, Be apart of one of the biggest booms our generation will see...
    http://www.MakeMoneyForLife.ws

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3359960].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rickcast66
      Originally Posted by TyroneShelley View Post

      Money can't bring happiness, But it gives you peace of mind and freedom to be able to enjoy your life and live it on your terms.

      This right here. Short, sweet and to the point.

      I just want to get to the point where there is consistent savings at the end of the month. Not just a fluctuating bank account, but a growing one.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3381434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author juliapattrick
    yes more money will make me more happy.because with more money i can afford more luxuries.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3379296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PleaseHelpMe
    I think another undergirding issue is that of contentment. Also there is another issue of what are the priorities in our lives. Do we follow a hedonistic pattern where pleasure and making "me" happy is the goal or do we live our lives according to principles and beliefs that we hold to be true and more than life itself so that we would forfeit all for them.

    There are people who are content with little or with much.
    We are all too frequently dependent upon the circumstances around us to control our state of "happiness" (debts, bills to be paid, things we cannot afford, relationships, etc.). They indeed do affect us and may contribute to stress in our lives - I don't want to ignore that.

    Too often people will say to themselves, "When I don't have debt or have to worry about bills, then I'll be happy...when I have lots of money, then..." This is elusive, since they are essentially saying, "my happiness is dependent upon my circumstances." These circumstances change every day whether rich or poor, or in between.

    Are there not enough examples of people with lots of money who are miserable and lonely? Lottery winners, children of billionaires...
    There are, however, also plenty of people that are miserable who have little. They covet what they don't have and want.

    The pursuit of wealth simply to make one happy is like chasing a shadow. How much is enough? Will you be content with 100,000, 1 million, 1 billion?
    A person who has little is able to be content with what he has and live a meaningful life. And yes, have moments of happiness, which are fruits that come alone the way in life.

    Also a person with much is able to be content and enjoy life.

    If I had to choose between being rich or being content, I would choose contentment any day. Then if I am rich or poor, in whatever state, I am able to be thankful and enjoy the life and the things that have been given to me.

    Are you content?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3380192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ArchDuke
    I've always lived with a middle-class family. A happy family & complete. Definitely a content family. But I'm too tired of being just content. I wanna reach the high tops and be rich. Because we didn't have that much money, I am craving for it. I hope you get the idea. lol
    Signature
    TopDuke Private Network
    Daily,Weekly,Bi-Weekly|PayPal & Wire
    TopDuke Reviews on AffiliatePaying.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3380282].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jennyd79
      My Mother always joked with us: 'Don't marry for love marry for money, cause if the money is not coming in the front door, the love will go out the back door!' She always said it with a wink She was after all just joking, but I know all mothers do want security for their kids.

      My reply to her was always: 'Money can buy you a very good dog, but it cannot buy you the wag of it's tail!' And I still believe that to this day!

      However, having said that, money does help! There are so many things that I would love to do, but cannot due to a lack of funds. And now that I am also a parent, my biggest need for money is to give my son all that he needs in life and all that my parents could not afford to give me.

      This is not a case of spoiling him, but rather being able to educate him in the best way possible and allow him to fulfill his dreams!

      Unfortunately the sad reality is that you do need money to do this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3380336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMoptimizer
    I also thought of it this way, 'Money doesn't bring happiness, it's the stability money gives that gives us happiness'. If we can make a nice flow of money and have a stable life, that is what makes us happy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3381388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fibonacci
    Happiness can create money, but money doesn’t create happiness. The famous motivational speaker Bob Proctor always says on this subject that money is not even meant to make you happy. It primarily does two things: makes you more comfortable and allows you to extend your presence, your ability to offer service to a wider audience. That’s all.

    The reason so many people think money would give them happiness lies in their own basic wants. They think that their want for security would go away if they just have enough on their bank account. Or that they will be more approved and loved if they drive a new Mercedes and live in a three-story mansion. That’s simply not true.

    The wants are inside you and will not go away even if you get to be a billionaire. If they did, why are there so many unhappy rich people? How come that on your trips to some of the poorest thirld world countries where the people are really poor, they seem to be happy?! With happiness, it’s the inside what matters, not what you have around you.
    Signature
    A frustrated person is one who attempts to do and carry out things by himself instead of letting the forces of the Infinite do it.
    - Lester Levenson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3381551].message }}

Trending Topics