The Past That Interrupts The Present

14 replies
Tonight was a tough night for me.

You see, I am usually a high energy, very positive and real type of guy.

I smile a lot. I see things the way they are and then better than they are.

Often but not all the time.

You see, I started thinking about the past. I started thinking about the "bad" that I have done in the past.

The pranks I have pulled. Some really funny ones...but some..you know the one when you pretend to be someone else...not too cool.

Or perhaps through my actions of the past, someone today might be still hurt about it, or turned up differently because of what you did.

No, I didn't murder anyone so calm down. I am talking about the silly things that may have seem silly then but when you look at it now..you say...wow, that may have hurt this person.

Oh, I was a goodie boy. But even then...

And then it got me thinking...maybe I don't deserve to step up. Maybe I am not a leader. Maybe I should sit in a cave all day and not come out.

Maybe I shouldn't teach others because...I don't know.

The past really crept up. The voices came to play. All attacking me. Creating doubts. Holding me back.

Pulling their own prank on me.

And then there's that one or two things we have done in life that we just don't want to talk about, we apologize for it but it is sort of still there. It comes back to our mind. We think about it.

Do we really deserve to move forward?

Here's something I have mentioned many times before, especially to Harry Potter's fans.

Dumbledore became a Headmaster at Hogwart instead of Minister of Magic, a much higher position..why? Because in his childhood, he did something that proved he cannot be trusted with power...so he took on a lower level of power (and mind you, Headmaster is no level considering the Minister of Magic consulted with him daily)...

I was thinking about this. We should know ourselves and what we can't be trusted with. And learn to work with what we can do.

I am going on an extreme here for a moment.

Someone murdered. YEARS ago. The man is forever flawed. No one will trust him as much. People spit at him.

But let's say this man TRULY changed. Should he not be a leader because of his past?

Tricky and hard to answer.

So I have changed. I am not that kid/teen/young adult anymore who did bad things.

I know, logically, that my past is NOT my present nor my future.

But emotionally, how do I get there?

I know the answer, but it is still hard.

Trust me, tonight I said out loud to my voices "SHUT THE *&*^ UP". I prayed to G-d.

It is hard. You don't know what to do. You say, maybe I am not fit to lead. Maybe the past is something to worry about.

Maybe they will laugh at me saying..you are a leader? But don't you remember what you did to me years ago?

Yes, apologize to whom you can. And I do. I take out a list and contact them. I learned this from Tony Robbins to call 3 sets of people:

1. Someone you ended off on a bad term.
2. Someone you drifted apart from.
3. A love one.

And do this often.

And still, some say I understand. Some don't anything.

Yes, I was stupid when I was younger. I changed.

I was young, mature in a BIG way and yet silently, immature. There can be many reasons for what I have done. Power. Wanted someone to connect with even in a negative way. Whatever the reason.

Point is, the past is the past.

Point is, tell it to shut up and shut down.

Point is, tell it that you understand the past and you learned about what to do, and how to grow better.

Don't let the past interrupt the present. And when it does, accept it, and tell it to leave.

We move on and from here out we hope that everything we do will have a massive impact on a positive scale.

Move along.

Dream BIG. Do BIGGER.

And let the bygone be bygone.

Thank you for following my rambles, as I wanted to get my thoughts down. It is not as orderly as my other posts but sometime, just let it flow.

And I know I am being a bit vague here in what I have done, don't worry, everything is cool...just thinking about the "dirty" pranks I used to pull by being someone else when I was younger. There, I have said it.

And I am going to let that stay up. I know what I have done but I am not HIM anymore. I am here and NOW. I am ROY NAIM from today.

I just hope and pray that G-d gives me the strength to move on and be that leader I am suppose to be, and that G-d allows those who were impacted by me negatively the strength to move on as well..and that from here on out, I only do good and more.

Thank you.
#interrupts #past #present
  • Profile picture of the author magnates
    as humans , we recall our past experience to judge whether to do something or not . We always use experience to judge . the last time i took a risk , what happened . if it is bad , chances are your mind would try to "protect" from letting have that happen to you again

    The problem the mind is often not correct with its judge . if you keep listening to your past decide your present , your future becomes your past because you do the same thing

    Great Post Roy

    ~Femi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4491239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roy Naim
      Originally Posted by magnates View Post

      as humans , we recall our past experience to judge whether to do something or not . We always use experience to judge . the last time i took a risk , what happened . if it is bad , chances are your mind would try to "protect" from letting have that happen to you again

      The problem the mind is often not correct with its judge . if you keep listening to your past decide your present , your future becomes your past because you do the same thing

      Great Post Roy

      ~Femi
      Yes, we do count on our experiences to judge what to do next and at times it can be a good thing and at times, a HORRIBLE thing as it can creep up and create doubts in our mind, that we are not worthy and so forth.

      Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4493311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Hi Roy.

    You sound like a good man doing some “reflecting” and soul-searching about some things you've done in the past. I've had many similar moments of self-reflection and pretty much evolved out of it to be a better version of myself.

    Only good people do what you’re doing.

    Something I like to say is: "That was the past, this is the future." Eventually we have to forgive ourselves. You don't have to be religious/whatever to appreciate this document. (Helped me understand.)

    http://www.god.com/books/consciencefreed/index.php
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4493674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SolveProblemsNow
      What a great post... you have the guts to say what so many other people are thinking.
      If you want to know how to put this away permanently, here it is:
      • Our brains think symbolically.
      • Our mind/brain keeps things/memories, etc. in logical symbolic groups. For example: "Things I like", "Things I don't like", "Things that are true", "Things that are not true", "Things that used to be true but are not true anymore".
      • What's happening with you is that these events from your past keep popping over from the "things that used to be true, but aren't anymore" group to the "things that might be true" group and causing these doubts.
      The solution is to permanently move them to the right group and this is pretty easy to do. Takes about ten minutes.
      If you drop me a PM, I'll tell you how to go about doing it and help you if you need help. No charge.
      Signature

      Get unstuck, get rid of bad behaviors and habits, discover what is important to you in life and get motivated at www.breakthroughtotomorrow.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4495233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Newview
    Very powerful post Roy with wonderful replies. You Roy, are a true leader as you possess strength, character and humility. When you look at a beautiful hand blown glass work of art, it all started out at a mass. But in the artisan's hands, the mass is transformed into something of beauty. Each "flaw" makes the artform unique and adds to its beauty. People are really the same. Everyone starts off in a mass, then gets transformed because of life's events. What was, does not mean it is what is real now. Sometimes the only way to move forward is to go backward, and remember all the things in all their intensity that your mind does not yet want to relinquish. Once you come to terms with all of that, you are free to move forward without the fear of the past. The past has already been written, but the future is yet to be!
    Signature
    Find the healthiest foods to eat at the Healtiest Diet Blog

    Download a free ebook on Weight Loss that you can freely distribute.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4496428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roy Naim
      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      Hi Roy.

      You sound like a good man doing some "reflecting" and soul-searching about some things you've done in the past. I've had many similar moments of self-reflection and pretty much evolved out of it to be a better version of myself.

      Only good people do what you're doing.

      Something I like to say is: "That was the past, this is the future." Eventually we have to forgive ourselves. You don't have to be religious/whatever to appreciate this document. (Helped me understand.)

      http://www.god.com/books/consciencefreed/index.php
      Jonathan, yes, reflecting is a good thing. I don't like to do it once a year, I like to do it often, perhaps once a month, maybe even once a week. It is why I keep a journal, and it is why I grow as well.

      What I am doing is cutting out what does not belong. I can have many excuses and say i was a child, teen, young and stupid..but I will not. I take up the responsibility, learn from it, reach out to whom needs to be reached out to and move on. A better man.

      Thank you for the article as I am actually a religious Jew. In a few weeks we come upon a Jewish month called Elul, one of the scarier days of the year for us as it gives us time to reflect and to repent, to remove and to grow before Rosh HaShana which is our New Year.

      Thank you SO much for reading and taking the time to comment.


      Originally Posted by SolveProblemsNow View Post

      What a great post... you have the guts to say what so many other people are thinking.
      If you want to know how to put this away permanently, here it is:
      • Our brains think symbolically.
      • Our mind/brain keeps things/memories, etc. in logical symbolic groups. For example: "Things I like", "Things I don't like", "Things that are true", "Things that are not true", "Things that used to be true but are not true anymore".
      • What's happening with you is that these events from your past keep popping over from the "things that used to be true, but aren't anymore" group to the "things that might be true" group and causing these doubts.
      The solution is to permanently move them to the right group and this is pretty easy to do. Takes about ten minutes.
      If you drop me a PM, I'll tell you how to go about doing it and help you if you need help. No charge.
      You are right. We do think in patterns. We need to group them right or put them far away from where we are RIGHT NOW in this point of our life.

      I wanted to write down this down, even if it is in public, just to get my thoughts our and perhaps show others as well, the past is indeed the past.

      I thank you for your service and I am actually curious about your method. I am a NLP Master Practitioner and I did some techniques last night, some better questioning last night...even yet, I am curious and I thank you.


      Originally Posted by Newview View Post

      Very powerful post Roy with wonderful replies. You Roy, are a true leader as you possess strength, character and humility. When you look at a beautiful hand blown glass work of art, it all started out at a mass. But in the artisan's hands, the mass is transformed into something of beauty. Each "flaw" makes the artform unique and adds to its beauty. People are really the same. Everyone starts off in a mass, then gets transformed because of life's events. What was, does not mean it is what is real now. Sometimes the only way to move forward is to go backward, and remember all the things in all their intensity that your mind does not yet want to relinquish. Once you come to terms with all of that, you are free to move forward without the fear of the past. The past has already been written, but the future is yet to be!
      My friend Kim right?

      Thank you for the kind words about who I am and I accept

      Yes, each flaw is a flaw that we can remove, a flaw that perhaps what makes us even more beautiful as human being.

      Sometimes reflection is good as we realize how far we have come and how far we have to go as well.

      I was writing as a way to let my soul speak as I know many may have been thinking the same.

      Thank you again for all the support!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4497501].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        You're welcome Roy. Happy that is was helpful. : ) I may start keeping a journal as well.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4501230].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Roy Naim
          Originally Posted by siteslikecraigslist View Post

          I have got to agree.
          I prefer to live a stress-free life.
          I am glad you agree!

          Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

          You're welcome Roy. Happy that is was helpful. : ) I may start keeping a journal as well.
          Thank you! And ya, a journal is a powerful thing. Life is worth capturing down
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4501615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adolphchia
    Thank you for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4497708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author happyhuan
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4497757].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roy Naim
      Originally Posted by adolphchia View Post

      Thank you for sharing.
      Thank you for reading.

      Originally Posted by Greg Wildermuth View Post

      Nice post, Roy. We don't have the answers but you raised a lot of good questions.

      Alan Watts said something like the past is like the wake of a boat. It doesn't steer the boat.
      Yes, it is hard, reflection is good and you are right...CUT AWAY THE ANCHOR and steer the boat!

      Originally Posted by happyhuan View Post

      Very potent article Roy with amazing replies. You Roy, certainly are a a fact mind when you possess strength, character and humility. whenever you start looking at a wonderful hand blown decanter or wineglass purpose of art, it all started out out at a mass. But inside the artisan's hands, the mass is transformed right into a specific thing of beauty. each and every "flaw" will make the artform exclusive and adds to its beauty. people these times are critically the same. everyone starts away in a really mass, then receives transformed for the reason that of life's events. What was, does not signify it is what is real now. occasionally the only method to proceed forward can be to go backward, and remember all the components in all their intensity that the ideas does not however need to relinquish. after you can be found to conditions with all of that, you are 100 % free to proceed forward devoid of the dread for the past. The previous has previously been written, however the potential is however to be!
      Thank you.....though you did just quote word for word what someone above you said, minus the word powerful
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4498015].message }}
  • I have got to agree.
    I prefer to live a stress-free life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4498816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stopper
    I agree you should make your own list and right the wrongs that you committed
    Signature
    http://www.charlesmomo.com Are you interested in 200 to 400 visitors a day to your site
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4513194].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roy Naim
      Originally Posted by stopper View Post

      I agree you should make your own list and right the wrongs that you committed
      Thank you for agreeing.

      Yes, we should admit to our wrongs and reach out where we can.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4516622].message }}

Trending Topics