Suffer from analysis paralysis? Feel it's too hard to focus?

9 replies
Yeah, we've all been there. I feel I'm there at this very moment. A personal story and a question for you...

Right now I'm in this phase where "I want to learn it all now and do it now" - from internet marketing, to self-development, NLP, to reading 3-4 books.

You know that feeling... where you feel as though if you "just get through as fast as possible you'll be able to get to the next task." Soon you find yourself not learning anything or not getting the full value from what you read or participated in (ie. reading a book, signing up for some program, etc).

You then tell yourself, "Ah well, guess that wasn't for me since it didn't work." Then the next shiny thing comes along and you jump on that one.

So here are some questions for you...

1) what did (and do) you do to keep your focus? How did you find out exactly what you liked and what was the moment when that occurred?

2) Currently I'm reading 3-4 books non-fiction (some related, some not). I'm wondering if anybody else does this and if so how they managed to get the most out of what they're reading to apply it? Also feel free to chime in if you feel it's not a good idea to do this and provide your reasoning.

3) Do you feel as though having a "positive attitude" or "positive outlook/mentality" is an ingredient for success or is it just another way to fool yourself from reality?
#analysis #feel #focus #hard #paralysis #suffer
  • Profile picture of the author stopper
    Well I don't have all the answers, you seem to have a lot on your mind. What you will eventually have to do is break it down and put all the different tasks into separate drawers, then preferably open one drawer at a time. It is rather counter productive if you keep opening more than one drawer at a time, especially if you are just starting out.
    Signature
    http://www.charlesmomo.com Are you interested in 200 to 400 visitors a day to your site
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4778543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aldentan
    For me, just split things down into simple steps. I don't look ahead. I have a goal, but I handle one thing, one step at a time
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4789292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kenny007
    I work well with breaking down my big goals in to small pieces and working on each piece one by one...
    Signature

    "Check out our newest FREE best way to make money online resource at BestWay2MakeMoney.net"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4796823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aldentan
    I always believe in taking action first. Then see what happens =)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4807925].message }}
  • Here are my answers -

    1) what did (and do) you do to keep your focus? How did you find out exactly what you liked and what was the moment when that occurred?

    I think I will be answering this question for the rest of my life. My likes constantly change. Reading between the lines, it seems that you may be looking for the perfect solution. The easy answer is that the perfect solution does not exist.



    2) Currently I'm reading 3-4 books non-fiction (some related, some not). I'm wondering if anybody else does this and if so how they managed to get the most out of what they're reading to apply it? Also feel free to chime in if you feel it's not a good idea to do this and provide your reasoning.

    I have read three or four books at one time in the past. It is fun and keeps my mind stimulated. However, I have found the most success when I have read 1 book over and over again until I feel like I have mastery around that book.


    3) Do you feel as though having a "positive attitude" or "positive outlook/mentality" is an ingredient for success or is it just another way to fool yourself from reality?

    Positive Attitude is 99.9% of success. Reality is what you say reality is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4817713].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Innovator3
      Originally Posted by Justin Finkelstein View Post

      Here are my answers -

      1) what did (and do) you do to keep your focus? How did you find out exactly what you liked and what was the moment when that occurred?

      I think I will be answering this question for the rest of my life. My likes constantly change. Reading between the lines, it seems that you may be looking for the perfect solution. The easy answer is that the perfect solution does not exist.



      2) Currently I'm reading 3-4 books non-fiction (some related, some not). I'm wondering if anybody else does this and if so how they managed to get the most out of what they're reading to apply it? Also feel free to chime in if you feel it's not a good idea to do this and provide your reasoning.

      I have read three or four books at one time in the past. It is fun and keeps my mind stimulated. However, I have found the most success when I have read 1 book over and over again until I feel like I have mastery around that book.


      3) Do you feel as though having a "positive attitude" or "positive outlook/mentality" is an ingredient for success or is it just another way to fool yourself from reality?

      Positive Attitude is 99.9% of success. Reality is what you say reality is.
      Thank you for those answers, Justin. You gave me a few good gems there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4883927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maile15
    I think, the best way to get back on the track is to concentrate one ONE Project.
    Forget all the books, forget all the other stuff around, make the best of one Project and then go one to the next one! Everything else makes no sense. After you finished one, you will have the enerhy to get to another one! But not everything on the same time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4885405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Prescott
    great post, i like it, very informative
    Signature

    Carlton Baran

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4885712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YwYoYwY
    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    Yeah, we've all been there. I feel I'm there at this very moment. A personal story and a question for you...

    Right now I'm in this phase where "I want to learn it all now and do it now" - from internet marketing, to self-development, NLP, to reading 3-4 books.
    You are obviously learning from the immersion. I can see it in this formulaic post.

    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    You know that feeling... where you feel as though if you "just get through as fast as possible you'll be able to get to the next task." Soon you find yourself not learning anything or not getting the full value from what you read or participated in (ie. reading a book, signing up for some program, etc).
    You are not alone. I always endeavor to increase my rate of absorption.

    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    You then tell yourself, "Ah well, guess that wasn't for me since it didn't work." Then the next shiny thing comes along and you jump on that one.
    Do you mean that you are jumping to conclusions, jumping the gun, or trying to put the cart before the horse?

    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    So here are some questions for you...

    1) what did (and do) you do to keep your focus? How did you find out exactly what you liked and what was the moment when that occurred?
    There is nothing wrong with a nice storm upstairs, but sometimes can be inconvenient. To force concentration try rock climbing, or a sprint through heavy woods. Then break out something to take notes on.

    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    2) Currently I'm reading 3-4 books non-fiction (some related, some not). I'm wondering if anybody else does this and if so how they managed to get the most out of what they're reading to apply it? Also feel free to chime in if you feel it's not a good idea to do this and provide your reasoning.
    Sounds like you are in school. Consult with a literature professor as a coach to help keep the pressure. 3-4 books does not compare to college literature with more than double that. In college you would have to write about them, pass a written exam, and be on time.

    Originally Posted by Innovator3 View Post

    3) Do you feel as though having a "positive attitude" or "positive outlook/mentality" is an ingredient for success or is it just another way to fool yourself from reality?
    You should know that answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4888817].message }}

Trending Topics