Belief Or Procrastination - which is it?

23 replies
Hi ALL

I had this thought today...

How do we know if our lack of success is due to our beliefs (and that its this that needs changing) or our lack of action (as in we have the beliefs we just dont or arent taking the action out of fear or boredom or whatever ie procrastination)

What do you think?
#belief #procrastination
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Here's a simple exercise you can do.

    On a sheet of paper (titled “Why I’m Not Taking Action”) write down everything that comes to mind regarding why you're not succeeding at IM.

    This should give you an idea whether you're being held back by limiting beliefs (etc.)

    I’ve completed this exercise before and it can be very illuminating. (I discovered which unconscious limiting beliefs were holding me back.)
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4922391].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      Here's a simple exercise you can do.

      On a sheet of paper (titled "Why I'm Not Taking Action") write down everything that comes to mind regarding why you're not succeeding at IM.

      This should give you an idea whether you're being held back by limiting beliefs (etc.)

      I've completed this exercise before and it can be very illuminating. (I discovered which unconscious limiting beliefs were holding me back.)
      Thank you

      Could you kindly give some examples of the kind of answers that could come up and how we can or in my case I can know if thats a limiting belief or not?

      and then i assume its a simple case of creating an affirmation that is the polar opposite right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4923859].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ldfreeman
        Are you taking real action or just "busy" work action. You know the difference, just moving paper from one folder to another or actually doing things that GET SALES.

        For belief system, try affirmations. I've been doing it for about a month now and I'll swear by it!

        I'm up to 3 affirmations:
        1. I am a confident, results-oriented, mastermind and a I loving taking risks.
        2. I will increase my daily sales to 25 sales/day by 4/1/12.
        3. Everyday in every way, I am getting better and better.

        The 1st is to affirm the characteristics I need to be successful. The 2nd is to affirm my S.M.A.R.T. goals. And the 3rd is to affirm I'm taking REAL action towards the above.


        Good Luck!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4924106].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
          Originally Posted by ldfreeman View Post

          Are you taking real action or just "busy" work action. You know the difference, just moving paper from one folder to another or actually doing things that GET SALES.

          For belief system, try affirmations. I've been doing it for about a month now and I'll swear by it!

          I'm up to 3 affirmations:
          1. I am a confident, results-oriented, mastermind and a I loving taking risks.
          2. I will increase my daily sales to 25 sales/day by 4/1/12.
          3. Everyday in every way, I am getting better and better.
          The 1st is to affirm the characteristics I need to be successful. The 2nd is to affirm my S.M.A.R.T. goals. And the 3rd is to affirm I'm taking REAL action towards the above.


          Good Luck!
          Wow thats brilliant thank you.

          Could you kindly explain how you use affirmations to make them work, as in what do you do?

          And arent affirmations supposed to be in the present tense, so how is it you have a date of the future for the 2nd one?

          (please check out my recent posts as they are related to dates in affirmations completely too) thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4924239].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by JamesBuk View Post

        Could you kindly give some examples of the kind of answers that could come up and how we can or in my case I can know if thats a limiting belief or not?
        Sure. When I did this exercise this is what came up. (I had no idea this was happening at an unconscious level …)

        “I’m not ready.”
        “I’ll change.”
        “I don’t know what will happen.”
        “I’ll be different.”

        As you can see, I was afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Sometimes simply understanding what’s happening can be enough to guide you into taking intelligent action. Using affirmations would be a good step forward too.

        A “limiting belief” is simply something you believe (or think) which is holding you back.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927096].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
          Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

          Sure. When I did this exercise this is what came up. (I had no idea this was happening at an unconscious level ...)

          "I'm not ready."
          "I'll change."
          "I don't know what will happen."
          "I'll be different."

          As you can see, I was afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Sometimes simply understanding what's happening can be enough to guide you into taking intelligent action. Using affirmations would be a good step forward too.

          A "limiting belief" is simply something you believe (or think) which is holding you back.
          Oh i see brilliant thank you, so...

          Could you kindly explain how you use affirmations to make them work, as in what do you do?

          And arent affirmations supposed to be in the present tense, so how is it you have a date of the future for the 2nd one?

          (please check out my recent posts as they are related to dates in affirmations completely too) thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947672].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Originally Posted by JamesBuk View Post

            Could you kindly explain how you use affirmations to make them work, as in what do you do?
            You use an affirmation to "counter" the limiting belief.

            For instance one of mine would be: "I'm open to change and accepting of everything that happens."
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947809].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
              Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

              You use an affirmation to "counter" the limiting belief.

              For instance one of mine would be: "I'm open to change and accepting of everything that happens."
              sorry jonathan, that the affirmation you would create, but then what, what do you do with it...how do you use it, thats how i meant it?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947961].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                Repeating them before and after you go to bed is a good strategy. Simply understanding my "unconscious beliefs" was enough to guide me into taking action.
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947984].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
                  Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                  Repeating them before and after you go to bed is a good strategy. Simply understanding my "unconscious beliefs" was enough to guide me into taking action.
                  wow really just understanding them was enough? hows that possible, im guessing it creating a change or shift in mindset maybe?

                  saying with with feelings and emotions out loud (well not shouting right?) lol

                  is that all though enough, i mean saying around sleep, rather than all day long?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947994].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                    Originally Posted by JamesBuk View Post

                    wow really just understanding them was enough? hows that possible, im guessing it creating a change or shift in mindset maybe?
                    Absolutely. Because I could “see” what's happening I know how to think along the journey. (Including “affirmations.”)

                    There comes a time when you have to stop asking questions and start taking action
                    Signature
                    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4948024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author evelynholman
    good share
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4925678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JF Garsula
    Procrastination is simply an impulsive decision we usually take since two parts of our brain are fighting over the decision. People usually procrastinate because the limbic system(the part of the brain that says,"Hey let me play video games!") is closer to the brain's pleasure area and the prefrontal cortex(the part of the brain that sees your long term goals).

    Understanding this would help you counter procrastination saying, "This part of the brain is making me play video games or whatever so my goals are these and I want to work on it".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RHert
    Procrastination happens quite often because you are frightened or would rather play then work. The key is to get past the procrastination and do the important things in your business. The risky things that you aren't sure will work. Until you can do that you won't succeed as massively as you could.
    Signature
    Copywriting at it's Best! - Tips and tricks to connect with your reader.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ace1337
    It's both your beliefs and your lack of action.

    I never believed I could have a 1000 visitors daily on my website and now that number is small to me.

    You have to trick yourself into action by every means possible. Set up rewards for yourself after completing a boring task. Bet with friends that you will get something done.

    We all have procrastination tendencies but some people are better at tricking themselves into getting stuff done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927445].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      Excellent Ace.

      If you want to change your beliefs quickly, exercise a good bit of action in the right areas. The results will work on your belief structure big time.

      Joe Mobley


      Originally Posted by Ace1337 View Post

      It's both your beliefs and your lack of action.

      I never believed I could have a 1000 visitors daily on my website and now that number is small to me.

      You have to trick yourself into action by every means possible. Set up rewards for yourself after completing a boring task. Bet with friends that you will get something done.

      We all have procrastination tendencies but some people are better at tricking themselves into getting stuff done.
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4928737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joan Haynes
    Procrastination is a form of fear!...We were not given the spirit of fear but of POWER, A STRONG MIND & LOVE. Use your power, strong mind & love to eradicate your beliefs of failure & condemnation. If you fight it, it will go away.

    Good luck,
    Do Not Miss Your Moment Millionaire
    Signature
    Put money back into your pocket right "NOW". Click here to find out more.

    -For the first 300 Warriors who download
    my FREE e-book will be eligible to win a
    brand "new" 4SG Apple I-Phone...Click here!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SandraBlakk
    I agree, procrastination is a form of fear and selfishness. Get yourself off your mind. Stop dwelling on yourself, and put your mind to the task at hand. By accomplishing the task, you will automatically feel better about yourself, and build your confidence. Life rewards action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4927792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angela99
    Originally Posted by JamesBuk View Post

    Hi ALL

    I had this thought today...

    How do we know if our lack of success is due to our beliefs (and that its this that needs changing) or our lack of action (as in we have the beliefs we just dont or arent taking the action out of fear or boredom or whatever ie procrastination)

    What do you think?
    Stop thinking. ACT, and keep acting. :-) Events will change your belief structure.

    If you feel that you have a "lack of success", start by defining that. What do you mean by it? In which areas are you unsuccessful? What does success look like to you?

    Let's consider your beliefs. You can't change your beliefs by thinking about them. Only events can change your beliefs.

    "Lack of success" is your current belief. You need to create a plan, and take actions which will (you hope) lead you to success. Even small, successful actions will begin to change your beliefs, because they lead to events.

    Your belief structure is what makes YOU.

    Important: you can't change your entire belief structure without major damage.

    Outside events can change your belief structure.

    For example, let's say something traumatic happens to you. It can be anything: you're involved in a car accident, and someone is killed; someone close to you dies; your spouse asks for a divorce...

    When you suffer a traumatic event, your former belief structure is changed, permanently. You can't go back. And to integrate the event (form a new belief structure) takes time.

    So... ACT. Forget your beliefs -- they'll change of their own accord. :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4928702].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesBuk
      Originally Posted by angela99 View Post

      Stop thinking. ACT, and keep acting. :-) Events will change your belief structure.

      If you feel that you have a "lack of success", start by defining that. What do you mean by it? In which areas are you unsuccessful? What does success look like to you?

      Let's consider your beliefs. You can't change your beliefs by thinking about them. Only events can change your beliefs.

      "Lack of success" is your current belief. You need to create a plan, and take actions which will (you hope) lead you to success. Even small, successful actions will begin to change your beliefs, because they lead to events.

      Your belief structure is what makes YOU.

      Important: you can't change your entire belief structure without major damage.

      Outside events can change your belief structure.

      For example, let's say something traumatic happens to you. It can be anything: you're involved in a car accident, and someone is killed; someone close to you dies; your spouse asks for a divorce...

      When you suffer a traumatic event, your former belief structure is changed, permanently. You can't go back. And to integrate the event (form a new belief structure) takes time.

      So... ACT. Forget your beliefs -- they'll change of their own accord. :-)
      So does this mean we cant change our beliefs internally via visualisation and affirmations etc?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4947685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ruthkim
    great share
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4939379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mildred Williams
    Sometimes someone procrastinate because of fear and lack of knowledge. Best thing is to inform yourself about the topic and then act. If you act without the knowledge it will delay the good result.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4948043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Illuminart
    It is BOTH. Why?

    People wont ACT if they don't BELIEVE and people won't BELIEVE if there's no ACTION.
    Signature
    Illumi-nations
    The #1 Provider of long range wifi antenna, cantenna and wifi signal booster.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4949819].message }}

Trending Topics