Stop thinking nickels and dimes...

18 replies
I have come to learn the fact that a person can make $10 an hour or they can make $1000 an hour. The difference really does boil down to mindset I think. So many people focus their efforts on chasing the nickels and dimes simply because they feel it's attainable. However, is it possible for a person to make a hundred times more simply by selling higher ticket items like a franchise or a business opportunity program?

If I sell a proven "how-to-make-money-program" I can sell it for either $1 or I can sell it for $10,000. Franchise companies and business opportunity people do it all the time so why can't the average IM'er? Is the difference all just in our own perceptions of what we deem as having value?

You tell me.
#dimes #nickels #stop #thinking
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Bucker
    I completely agree, it actually takes the same brain power to make $10,000 as it does to make $1,000. It is the same number of firing cells in your brain that are firing off regardless of the amount of money it is. We adjust, accordingly and it is automatically happening inside. All one has to do is decide.

    Example: When you first got out into the world you were young. You may have needed to make $600 -$700 a month and so you made it. A few years later things are different and you need to make $1000 to $1200 a month and your brain adjusts and you make it. A few more years pass and you need to make $1500 to $1800 again you simply make the money.

    The ability to make $10,000 and more a month is already in most of us. We simply need to understand that it does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134448].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Spaxmax
      Originally Posted by Michael Bucker View Post

      I completely agree, it actually takes the same brain power to make $10,000 as it does to make $1,000. It is the same number of firing cells in your brain that are firing off regardless of the amount of money it is. We adjust, accordingly and it is automatically happening inside. All one has to do is decide.

      Example: When you first got out into the world you were young. You may have needed to make $600 -$700 a month and so you made it. A few years later things are different and you need to make $1000 to $1200 a month and your brain adjusts and you make it. A few more years pass and you need to make $1500 to $1800 again you simply make the money.

      The ability to make $10,000 and more a month is already in most of us. We simply need to understand that it does.
      Well said. Thanks.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142103].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunray
    But isn't this selling IM stuff a little like a pyramid scheme? I mean, the information in those reports and e-Books is basically the same which that person was sold a year, a year and a half ago, which he now has packaged into a product of his own. So, there is so much money in it as the newcomers bring in - that is, not much. They simply can not afford to buy it for 10K.
    Signature

    Use these laws and make the Law of Attraction work
    QuantumMindSuccess Learn how to live a happy, healthy and abundant life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134495].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RHert
      Originally Posted by sunray View Post

      But isn't this selling IM stuff a little like a pyramid scheme? I mean, the information in those reports and e-Books is basically the same which that person was sold a year, a year and a half ago, which he now has packaged into a product of his own. So, there is so much money in it as the newcomers bring in - that is, not much. They simply can not afford to buy it for 10K.
      Sunray,
      IF someone is doing this than you're probably right. Repackaging information isn't enough anymore. But no two people in the world are entirely the same. Even twins go on to do vastly different things. Because of this people are able to take their experiences and create something worth having.
      Basically what Michael and Andrew are talking about is scale. Though in my opinion before either of you go and try to sell something for ten thousand dollars you must know how to get past objections. It is far easier to sell something for $10 to 1000 people than it is to sell something for $10,000 to one person. Still about numbers, but the resistance number is far lower.
      Signature
      Copywriting at it's Best! - Tips and tricks to connect with your reader.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134628].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Bucker
        Originally Posted by RHert View Post

        Sunray,

        Basically what Michael and Andrew are talking about is scale. Though in my opinion before either of you go and try to sell something for ten thousand dollars you must know how to get past objections. It is far easier to sell something for $10 to 1000 people than it is to sell something for $10,000 to one person. Still about numbers, but the resistance number is far lower.
        Yes my friend I totally agree with understanding objections. My last two seminars grossed just under $28,000, where I know people who give there's away for free. I charge a minimum of $2000 a day to my clients, and they pay it, while some are telling me my rates are to high.

        It is a matter of perception in ones mind.

        My point is I am talking from experience not just theory. However as you pointed out one cannot get to this point without understanding and overcoming objections.

        I have gained knowledge over the 40 years i have been around yet my brain is not working any harder than it did when I was 20. I am not a genius when it comes to principles of money making. I simply understand a few of its laws and use them to help my fellow man.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5136055].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Nice Thread. True you can either be working on a $1,000 deal or a $10,000 one, the choice is up to you, or even a $100,000 one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Guru_Marketing
    Originally Posted by Andrew Skelly View Post

    I have come to learn the fact that a person can make $10 an hour or they can make $1000 an hour. The difference really does boil down to mindset I think. So many people focus their efforts on chasing the nickels and dimes simply because they feel it's attainable. However, is it possible for a person to make a hundred times more simply by selling higher ticket items like a franchise or a business opportunity program?

    If I sell a proven "how-to-make-money-program" I can sell it for either $1 or I can sell it for $10,000. Franchise companies and business opportunity people do it all the time so why can't the average IM'er? Is the difference all just in our own perceptions of what we deem as having value?

    You tell me.
    You are right Andrew. It takes a solid mindset to go from $1 to $1000 an hour. Money, in fact, does not live on the paper, it lives in the people's minds. That's why mindset is so important to change our perception about money and its attainability.
    Signature

    Kindle Publishers: Get Reviews and More Sales to Your Kindle Books at http://GettingPublishedFast.com/publishers/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5134849].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMHopeful
      Great post! I agree about chasing the low-dollar stuff because it's attainable. As a salesperson, you also have to overcome more objections as you seek higher payouts -- which a lot of people don't like doing.
      Signature

      Looking for new writers. PM me.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5135612].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LindseyRainwater
        Interesting post. The first thing that came to my mind is an "argument" I have had with a couple family members over the past few months. I am setting up a lot of websites with great products, including a couple membership sites, autoresponders, affiliate programs, etc.

        Right now, I'll be honest - I'm struggling financially. We're living paycheck to paycheck, and doing triage on our bills. But within the next couple weeks I'm going to launch a WSO, with another right on its heels. My period of working my butt off for "no return" is nearly at an end, and I know there is a massive amount of money coming my way in 2012.

        But the argument I've had is with family who tells me that I'm insane - that I should go find a j.o.b. to relieve the money stress, or at least go back to freelance writing to bring in a paycheck. I point out that that little bit of money I would get would be gone in a couple days! Yes it would buy gas and groceries, but then what? Back into the same situation, and no further ahead on my big plans.

        So why should I spend time and energy working on little things that won't really get us ahead when I could take the chance for just a little longer (now that I've been creating and honing my plans for a couple years) and for New Years be able to have the resolution of never having to worry about money again?

        My motto in the last few months has been "Go big or go home." If it isn't worth taking a chance on, it isn't worth it.

        Btw, the family I've had this argument with either lives with other family members, hates their j.o.b., or is STILL living paycheck to paycheck. Sorry, but why should we take advice from people who don't understand what we do, and don't live the lifestyle we want to lead?

        My rant/two cents for the day.
        Signature
        Limited Time: Grab the "Pay Your Way" option, and get a complete website with content created - without having to pay the full amount up-front! Pay what you can today, and make payments from there! Click HERE for more info!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5135688].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chelsean
    I've said it many times and believe it the more and more I say it, that with positive affirmations, we can achieve whatever we set our minds to.
    Signature

    Looking for a house in Arizona? Use a Phoenix Realtor! Have little kids? Check out baby clothes Australia. Businesses should use commercial cleaning nj. Enroll in a coaching certification program!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5135961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Says
    Originally Posted by Andrew Skelly View Post

    I have come to learn the fact that a person can make $10 an hour or they can make $1000 an hour. The difference really does boil down to mindset I think. So many people focus their efforts on chasing the nickels and dimes simply because they feel it's attainable. However, is it possible for a person to make a hundred times more simply by selling higher ticket items like a franchise or a business opportunity program?

    If I sell a proven "how-to-make-money-program" I can sell it for either $1 or I can sell it for $10,000. Franchise companies and business opportunity people do it all the time so why can't the average IM'er? Is the difference all just in our own perceptions of what we deem as having value?

    You tell me.
    I understand where you are coming from.

    BUT, I disagree on some things.

    It's all about how people want to live their lives and how they feel they want to price their own services.

    I chase the nickels and dimes and I do very well for myself. I love it. It's fun. And ultimately, I don't feel like I'm charging a mortgage for what I do.

    I've seen some products released recently for around $1,000 - $3,000.

    Now I'm not going to say that their products aren't worth that much, but I believe it boils down to the greed of the marketer.

    These are just my perceptions.

    I have seen website creation services charge $1,000+ just for an installation of WordPress and a few other basic things.. and guess what.. they make sales.

    But to me that's scamming.

    Anyways, just wanted to toss in my 2 cents on this Great conversation starter, but really it depends on what the marketer feels is "right".

    I've charged $1,000+ for something before, but only because I knew it was enough value to be priced at that point (not to say that low priced things aren't worth value , it's just I feel.. we should help out the ones that were once in our shoes when we started).
    Signature

    My name is Justin Lewis, with my Knoxville SEO company, Business Optimizer, I've been in business for 10 years online with multiple six figure years, here are the tools that have helped me the most: Increase your reviews with this free Review Handout

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5136120].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Spaxmax
      You're absolutely right. I went from earning a few dollars online to being really successful online only by changing my mindset.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5142095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roan
    It is called perceived value. Its human nature to think that something that is more expensive automatically has more value. You as a marketer can give your product any value that you like so to speak.
    Signature

    Are You Looking For a High Quality Shopify + FB ads Course? PM me. - Only available for ONE person. Be Quick.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5143824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew Skelly
    Great feedback Warriors. Thank you. My position is that if you have a great product with tremendous potential you might as well value it as high as you can and if it works than stick with it. If not then drop your price and upsell later. The truth of the matter is that as I said it's all about mindset and some people are 5 digit program sellers, some people are 4 digit and so forth. But if you have ever been to a business opportunity or franchise expo than you will know that there is certainly a market for 5 digit programs and ultimately all their selling is a proven concept and system. So I do believe in the high priced program because at the end of the day it could mean quadruple the profits for the same amount of work. But in the IM world what I believe works best is to start with a lower end product and upsell to a $10K, $20K or even $50K program down the road. This is the foundation of the Poor Dad Rich Dad training but that's in the offline world.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5147844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeremyramos
    Banned
    i read at some book that easier to get $10,000 than $3,000 because the level competition.. all people always target lower
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5365794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author creaver1
    This thread deserves a lot of attention because so many people are thinking too small. However, like most things in life, it is not just one thing or another.
    Thinking small rarely leads to large results. At the same time thinking big in unrealistic ways doesn't work well either and can end up with big disasters.
    That is where having the right strategy is a critical requirement. Part of the problem with many of the promotions on this site is that there is so much hype with promising tactics and bad or no strategies.

    Thanks for starting this thread.

    JimN

    --------
    Ask me about Power Partnering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5412539].message }}

Trending Topics