What It Takes To Succeed

34 replies
I have read a lot of posts on here from people asking what it takes to succeed or how to be successful and then I got this just now. I hope it helps.

No one has ever been able to determine exactly what it takes to succeed in business, but there are characteristics which we know for certain contribute to success, regardless of a person's level of intelligence.

The successful person "learns from experience" and has "drive from within".

They "believe in themselves".

They have "power with people".

They have "character".

They have a sense of direction; they know where they are going and they know they will get there.

They have developed an inner confidence which is expressed openly in their behavior and they have a genuine concern for the well-being of others.

From Bob Proctor

What else do you think it takes to succeed?
#succeed #takes
  • Profile picture of the author Madam X
    Originally Posted by TopKat22 View Post

    I have read a lot of posts on here from people asking what it takes to succeed or how to be successful and then I got this just now. I hope it helps.

    No one has ever been able to determine exactly what it takes to succeed in business, but there are characteristics which we know for certain contribute to success, regardless of a person's level of intelligence.

    The successful person "learns from experience" and has "drive from within".

    They "believe in themselves".

    They have "power with people".

    They have "character".

    They have a sense of direction; they know where they are going and they know they will get there.

    They have developed an inner confidence which is expressed openly in their behavior and they have a genuine concern for the well-being of others.

    From Bob Proctor

    What else do you think it takes to succeed?
    I just read a really good article on why "Positive affirmations can be a business liability" by Susan L. Reid. She says that NOTHING is a substitue for hard work & I agree with her. I'll just post her article here because she writes better than I do.


    "POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS CAN BE A BUSINESS LIABILITY"
    Susan L. Reid Small Business Expert and Business Catalyst

    *Why Positive Affirmations Can Be a Business Liability : Innovation :: American Express OPEN Forum


    What's wrong with the touchy-feely advice that's so popular these days? People don't succeed with their business simply by staying positive and thinking good thoughts.

    Chanting affirmations does not take the place of hard work. There's no substitute for examining the problems plaguing your business. Most of the time, people who use positive affirmations are using them incorrectly.

    Positive affirmations, in themselves, are not wonder drugs for business success.

    How to use positive affirmations correctly:

    1. Don't think one thing will make the difference.

    Positive affirmations are the chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie. They are not the cookie.

    If someone asked you the secret to your great-tasting chocolate chip cookies, you might say Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. But those those chips are not all that's needed to make your cookies.

    People using affirmations are often looking for the one thing that will make the difference to their business success. Just like a great cookie is a combination of ingredients thoughtfully applied, business success involves more than one element.

    Use positive affirmations to augment what you're already doing. Try this: I have work that I love that is bringing me excellent financial income. I am in constant, steady demand.

    2. Believe your affirmation is achievable.

    "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve," said businessman and author W. Clement Stone.

    Said another way, the mind does not "buy into" what it either doesn't believe or doesn't see as possible.

    One of the most common mistakes of using positive affirmations is that people project them too far ahead of their current business situation.

    Repeating, I own a million-dollar business isn't likely to create that business for you when you're barely making a profit. The difference between what the mind currently sees and believes and the intended affirmation is just too great for that achievement to occur.

    Instead, focus your intentions no further than your mind registers as attainable. Next, align your actions with the fulfillment of your vision and add positive affirmations to support that direction. Then, your mind registers that as attainable and invests in achieving it.

    3. Watch out for hidden hope.

    "Hope" is a nice way of saying that you're not sure something will happen, but you sure wish it would.

    Affirmations that hold the energy of hope are really negative affirmations in disguise because the mind does not believe they are possible.

    Hope is not the same as knowing that your intentions will happen, without a doubt. Fervently repeating affirmations full of hidden hope will not help bring what you intend any closer, any sooner.

    There isn't much margin for hope when you're planning a business formula for success. Starting a business takes a lot of thoughtful consideration and meticulous attention to detail. It involves concrete, left-brain thinking. It also requires that you envision the kind of success you want for your business. That's where positive affirmations can come in.

    Done correctly, positive affirmations can be a valuable ingredient for your business success. By following the guidelines, you'll be able to use affirmations as a business asset, not a liability.

    *Why Positive Affirmations Can Be a Business Liability : Innovation :: American Express OPEN Forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5613894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by Madam X View Post

      I just read a really good article on why "Positive affirmations can be a business liability" by Susan L. Reid. She says that NOTHING is a substitue for hard work & I agree with her. I'll just post her article here because she writes better than I do.


      "POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS CAN BE A BUSINESS LIABILITY"
      Susan L. Reid Small Business Expert and Business Catalyst

      *Why Positive Affirmations Can Be a Business Liability : Innovation :: American Express OPEN Forum


      What's wrong with the touchy-feely advice that's so popular these days? People don't succeed with their business simply by staying positive and thinking good thoughts.

      Chanting affirmations does not take the place of hard work. There's no substitute for examining the problems plaguing your business. Most of the time, people who use positive affirmations are using them incorrectly.

      Positive affirmations, in themselves, are not wonder drugs for business success.

      How to use positive affirmations correctly:

      1. Don't think one thing will make the difference.

      Positive affirmations are the chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie. They are not the cookie.

      If someone asked you the secret to your great-tasting chocolate chip cookies, you might say Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. But those those chips are not all that's needed to make your cookies.

      People using affirmations are often looking for the one thing that will make the difference to their business success. Just like a great cookie is a combination of ingredients thoughtfully applied, business success involves more than one element.

      Use positive affirmations to augment what you're already doing. Try this: I have work that I love that is bringing me excellent financial income. I am in constant, steady demand.

      2. Believe your affirmation is achievable.

      "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve," said businessman and author W. Clement Stone.

      Said another way, the mind does not "buy into" what it either doesn't believe or doesn't see as possible.

      One of the most common mistakes of using positive affirmations is that people project them too far ahead of their current business situation.

      Repeating, I own a million-dollar business isn't likely to create that business for you when you're barely making a profit. The difference between what the mind currently sees and believes and the intended affirmation is just too great for that achievement to occur.

      Instead, focus your intentions no further than your mind registers as attainable. Next, align your actions with the fulfillment of your vision and add positive affirmations to support that direction. Then, your mind registers that as attainable and invests in achieving it.

      3. Watch out for hidden hope.

      "Hope" is a nice way of saying that you're not sure something will happen, but you sure wish it would.

      Affirmations that hold the energy of hope are really negative affirmations in disguise because the mind does not believe they are possible.

      Hope is not the same as knowing that your intentions will happen, without a doubt. Fervently repeating affirmations full of hidden hope will not help bring what you intend any closer, any sooner.

      There isn't much margin for hope when you're planning a business formula for success. Starting a business takes a lot of thoughtful consideration and meticulous attention to detail. It involves concrete, left-brain thinking. It also requires that you envision the kind of success you want for your business. That's where positive affirmations can come in.

      Done correctly, positive affirmations can be a valuable ingredient for your business success. By following the guidelines, you'll be able to use affirmations as a business asset, not a liability.

      *Why Positive Affirmations Can Be a Business Liability : Innovation :: American Express OPEN Forum
      Interesting article using reverse psychology. She starts out by saying positive affirmations are a liability......

      and then gives you the points of how to use positive affirmations correctly.

      Good information and thanks for the post.

      However, just to be clear for the other people who might read this, my orginal post was not about affirmations.

      It was about traits to be successful per Bob Proctor.

      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5613970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    I thinking taking action, having the right goals, having the right connections, having the right knowledge and having the right strategy are what it takes to succeed. That is my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5613980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktmakwana
    Have self belief, not afraid to make mistakes, learn from mistakes, take massive action and never to give up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5614162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author monkeytrousers
    I also believe success requires "integration." What I mean by that is that initially, it takes gumption to get up every day and start working out just as it takes gumption to get up every day and create content, or split test, or link building. But there has to be a point where it is simply who you are.

    You do these things every day without feeling the pains of boredom or obligation; it's simply something you do because you have witnessed the success it has created for you and have integrated these excellent processes into your daily routine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5614268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by ktmakwana View Post

      Have self belief, not afraid to make mistakes, learn from mistakes, take massive action and never to give up!
      Yes, I think the part about not being afraid to make mistakes a really big one.

      Originally Posted by monkeytrousers View Post

      I also believe success requires "integration." What I mean by that is that initially, it takes gumption to get up every day and start working out just as it takes gumption to get up every day and create content, or split test, or link building. But there has to be a point where it is simply who you are.

      You do these things every day without feeling the pains of boredom or obligation; it's simply something you do because you have witnessed the success it has created for you and have integrated these excellent processes into your daily routine.
      Very well put. I think your definition of integration is very important.

      Even when things seem difficult at first, when you keep doing them, they do become second nature.

      Thanks for the input.
      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5615901].message }}
  • Originally Posted by TopKat22 View Post

    They "believe in themselves".
    So much yes!!!

    Also you must truly believe that what you are going to-do is going to happen!

    You need to picture it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5622899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

      Relentless Pit Bull Determination in the Face of Obstacles and It Can't Be Done Comments.
      Yes, it definitely takes pit bull, no matter what determination.

      Originally Posted by AttitudeSpecialist View Post

      So much yes!!!

      Also you must truly believe that what you are going to-do is going to happen!

      You need to picture it!
      Also, very true. You have to believe it to see it.
      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5622984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gage Roof
    Amen! Motivation is the key to success and also consumer satisfaction. I believe that because I use it on my own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5623009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author terrimurray
    Always be willing to take the risk and never ever give up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kom
    For Me Success Is if you keep try and pratice you will good in it !

    People keep practicing everyday in one thing he will good on that thing.

    Also believe ! is most importand !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nic Oliver
    I keep it simple.

    For me success comes from being good at what you do plus being good at marketing what you do!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ephame
    Being persistent and willing to take the hurdles in your stride has taught me a great deal up to this point, go with your gut and be prepared. Have confidence in your product as well as yourself!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5640834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EmmaSmith
    never give up,always keep trying..try and try and try until u will get success..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5641917].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by Gage Roof View Post

      Amen! Motivation is the key to success and also consumer satisfaction. I believe that because I use it on my own.
      yes, being self motivated is definitely required when you own your own business.

      Originally Posted by terrimurray View Post

      Always be willing to take the risk and never ever give up.
      I believe that the willingness to take more risks is a very defining characteristic of an entrepreneur.

      Originally Posted by Kom View Post

      For Me Success Is if you keep try and pratice you will good in it !

      People keep practicing everyday in one thing he will good on that thing.

      Also believe ! is most importand !
      Yes, all great achievers in any field practice, practice, practice.

      Originally Posted by Nic Oliver View Post

      I keep it simple.

      For me success comes from being good at what you do plus being good at marketing what you do!
      yes, cultivating your already existing talents is definitely a good thing.

      Originally Posted by ephame View Post

      Being persistent and willing to take the hurdles in your stride has taught me a great deal up to this point, go with your gut and be prepared. Have confidence in your product as well as yourself!
      Very key with entrepreneurs. Persistence, the willingness and ability to overcome obstacles and the willingness to fail and keep going.

      Originally Posted by EmmaSmith View Post

      never give up,always keep trying..try and try and try until u will get success..
      yes, again, the determination to persist, no matter what is very key.

      Thank you all for the great additions.
      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5643210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ericbest
    you are right ktmakwana...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5660217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michaelryan
    motivation .....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5668558].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elanne
      For me, it takes determination, lots of courage, inspiration, motivation and perseverance.

      You've said it all!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5669388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ShaneMcc
    persistence is the key imo summed up by a quote from churchill here "Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5670518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author linaO
      Originally Posted by ShaneMcc View Post

      persistence is the key imo summed up by a quote from churchill here "Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy"
      Hell yes! Never ever give up or give in, because most people who give up find later on that they were right there, right at the edge to a breakthrough.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5673322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaggieDavid
    100% laser like focus,
    A goal that is big enough to challenge you - in front of you day after day
    Never listening to the nay sayers
    Plus THE BELIEF that you deserve success.

    I think the last one, is very important because so many people fail to see they deserve life's riches.

    Great thread.
    Signature

    To Your Success
    Maggie
    6StarMedia - Website Design, Business/Corporate Design, SEO, Copyrighting and Website Management Services Plus much more

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5684999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by michaelryan View Post

      motivation .....
      Yes

      Originally Posted by ephame View Post

      Being persistent and willing to take the hurdles in your stride has taught me a great deal up to this point, go with your gut and be prepared. Have confidence in your product as well as yourself!
      This is definitely one most people have stated.

      Originally Posted by EmmaSmith View Post

      never give up,always keep trying..try and try and try until u will get success..
      Again, persistence.

      Originally Posted by MaggieDavid View Post

      100% laser like focus,
      A goal that is big enough to challenge you - in front of you day after day
      Never listening to the nay sayers
      Plus THE BELIEF that you deserve success.

      I think the last one, is very important because so many people fail to see they deserve life's riches.

      Great thread.
      Very good points. I think very few people would think of a goal big enough to challenge them and the belieft that you deserve success. Thank you.

      Originally Posted by linaO View Post

      Hell yes! Never ever give up or give in, because most people who give up find later on that they were right there, right at the edge to a breakthrough.
      So true.

      Originally Posted by ShaneMcc View Post

      persistence is the key imo summed up by a quote from churchill here "Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy"
      Again, presistence. I agree. Like that quote, too. :-)

      Originally Posted by elanne View Post

      For me, it takes determination, lots of courage, inspiration, motivation and perseverance.

      You've said it all!
      And yes, courage.

      All very good points.

      Newbies should take notice.
      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5702008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoRoth
    Be hungry, stay humble, be patient, be confident, and decisive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5703705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
      Originally Posted by NicoRoth View Post

      Be hungry, stay humble, be patient, be confident, and decisive.
      That is very powerful and I think many would breeze right by what you just said but it is very important.

      "Be hungry"... you will always find the person in most need to make it doing whatever it takes.

      That is why I thnk I've never really seen anyone do really well while they had another source of income as a "safety net". When you have no other choice but to make money to support yourself and/or your family, you really have to do whatever it takes to make it.

      And the being decisive, although important in all business and life, I think is particularly important in IM because a lot of people aren't. They jump from idea to idea, method to method, hoping to make some money easily and never really build a real business.
      Signature
      44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

      Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5706304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blackbelt
    Failure never being an option. Taking calculated risk. Stretch! Reach! Grow. Follow a leader. Surround yourself with people that want to have more be more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5723420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miapiquet
    For me, Attitude is the most important ingredient for success.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5888211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cuple
    for me, I must ENJOY what I do to be able to success..
    Signature
    Free pictures for your blogs, websites, video, eBooks, presentations, etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gentryliving
    Believe in what you do and have confidence.
    Signature
    Professionally designed custom blogging platform
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author robertgosnell
    be patient...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5905977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexfallon
    Perseverance and focus are the key.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5913632].message }}
  • persistence and motivation will lead u to success..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8409830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    They "believe in themselves".
    I think this one is more important; believing in yourself will certainly lead you to success in life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8410727].message }}

Trending Topics