Have you ever got frustrated from setting goals and not following up on them?

by modex
11 replies
I often have this problem. I set goals for myself in various things - IM, health-related, personality-related. No matter how small I set them, I seem to get distracted and don't follow up on them. It's been two months since I started making and trying to complete checklists. But I don't use them anymore - they add pressure to one's life and more often than not, this pressure is unnecessary.

What about you guys? I am quite sure many of you have set goals (in the present or previously) and failed to follow up on them. Did it happen a lot? Were you able to come out of it and improve your productivity through other means?
#frustrated #goals #setting
  • Profile picture of the author ryanman
    The reason why people get frustrated is because consciously they decide to do something but unconsciously they have some internal blocks or old belief systems running which tell you that you just can't do it.

    Usually, these blocks are so strong and so deeply embedded into our mind that we just can't win from them. This is why so many people will never become rich, lose the target weight or have the wonderful life they always dreamed of.

    The only solution is to clear out these blockers first and things will start to flow naturally.
    Signature


    ^^^Click The "UGLY BANNER" to "MAKE MONEY"^^^
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5885952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LP Copywriter
    ^ Well said.

    You said checklists didn't work for you, and I can definitely relate. However, I have simplified my approach to lists, and it's been working pretty decently. The key is to keep things simple. I always write a list the night before, of things I must accomplish the next day. I draw a line under these first items, and no other major tasks can be added. However, below the line I do add notes, and new, short tasks that MUST be completed that day (send an email, make a phone call, etc.).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Burritt
    Banned
    No, I've never set goals and didn't follow through.

    Now, if you believe that I've got some magic software I'll sell you for only $1mil

    Ok, obviously I'm kidding. But that's my point. Find some humor in your life. It helps create good vibes in your mind/body/soul.

    It's easy to beat ourselves up about everything we don't do. Try feeling good about something you've got done, no matter how small it is.

    Taking ourselves less seriously sometimes really helps. Just try to be consistent in moving forward. Adding up a series of small victories helps create positive momentum and confidence to tackle the bigger challenges.

    You can do it. You can succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stan07
    I would say if you set a date for that particular goal to be achieved and for some reason or other, it doesn't come to fruition don't beat yourself up over it, just reposition for the next month or 2 while working all the time to complete in the shortest period possible. I totally agree with what Jeff is saying "take yourself less seriously" life is for living.
    Signature
    For List Building, This Works Like Crazy
    http://listbuildingacademia.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AaronMorton
    @modex whenever I set goals and don't follow through on them it is usually because of a combination of a number of things:

    1 - I am setting too many goals to achieve all at once.

    2 - It has been an impulse goal set, meaning It wasn't something I truly wanted to achieve, it was just a whim.

    3 - I didn't set a clear enough on going agenda of 'mini goals' to achieve the larger end goal.

    4 - I didn't set aside time for feedback to check my progress.

    Aaron Morton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    I keep a simple daily to do list that helps me stay focused on my long term business goals. I do set goals that I do not achieve, but if I am moving my Internet business forward all of the time I am o.k. with that.
    Signature
    Jeff Schuman - SEO Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, SEO, quality, MMO niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5887012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GT
      Originally Posted by Jeff Schuman View Post

      I keep a simple daily to do list that helps me stay focused on my long term business goals. I do set goals that I do not achieve, but if I am moving my Internet business forward all of the time I am o.k. with that.
      Jeff's comment expresses my point of view on this exactly: daily lists help me keep focused and motivated; and I do set short and long term goals, some of which I fail to meet.

      But the thing is, if you have a major goal that you are working towards, and if that goal is VERY clearly outlined and is something that TRULY motivates you, then temporary roadblocks, mental blocks and failed goal attempts will not deter you. Like Jeff says, as long as you do SOMEthing each day that moves your business forward, you are making progress.

      GT
      Signature

      * You Can Begin Earning Affiliate Income Here – Direct Commissions and Residual Income!
      * Home Business Resources and Affiliate Opportunities
      * Visit This Library to Expand Your Knowledge – Blog Post
      * Reinventing Your Life - Make the Rest of Your Life the BEST of Your Life!
      * Follow Me On Twitter ===> MyPowerSite <===| gtbulmer | StarrBizzcom

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891700].message }}
  • Everyone experienced frustration, which is good! Why? Because its your chance to grow and learn something new in your life which is a challenge to overcome obstacles that comes to your way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5887625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    It used to bother me a lot. I spent most of the early years of my adult life wasting away in a dead end job and never following through on my goals. Once I clearly outlined things and removed people that were holding me back though, everything just sort of clicked.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BuriedAlive
    Just don't push yourself too hard. Stress and depression weakens our immune system so you really also have to think about your well-being. Set reachable/achievable goals for yourself. It's good to test your limits every now and then but don't do it too often. Also, reward yourself every time you achieved a goal. One goal at a time. Don't try to do too much at one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5897424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author modex
      Originally Posted by ryanman View Post

      The reason why people get frustrated is because consciously they decide to do something but unconsciously they have some internal blocks or old belief systems running which tell you that you just can't do it.

      Usually, these blocks are so strong and so deeply embedded into our mind that we just can't win from them. This is why so many people will never become rich, lose the target weight or have the wonderful life they always dreamed of.

      The only solution is to clear out these blockers first and things will start to flow naturally.
      I agree with you. Removing these mental blocks which set in is easier said than done. I am trying though. thanks for the tip!
      Originally Posted by LP Copywriter View Post

      ^ Well said.

      You said checklists didn't work for you, and I can definitely relate. However, I have simplified my approach to lists, and it's been working pretty decently. The key is to keep things simple. I always write a list the night before, of things I must accomplish the next day. I draw a line under these first items, and no other major tasks can be added. However, below the line I do add notes, and new, short tasks that MUST be completed that day (send an email, make a phone call, etc.).
      Originally Posted by Jeff Burritt View Post

      No, I've never set goals and didn't follow through.

      Now, if you believe that I've got some magic software I'll sell you for only $1mil

      Ok, obviously I'm kidding. But that's my point. Find some humor in your life. It helps create good vibes in your mind/body/soul.

      It's easy to beat ourselves up about everything we don't do. Try feeling good about something you've got done, no matter how small it is.

      Taking ourselves less seriously sometimes really helps. Just try to be consistent in moving forward. Adding up a series of small victories helps create positive momentum and confidence to tackle the bigger challenges.

      You can do it. You can succeed.
      You made a very sensible point Jeff. Taking myself less seriously is advice I used to give to all my friends...to stop thinking so much and just do whatever needed to be done. It's strange how one's perspective changes - I am now in the exact same situation of overthinking and underachieving..

      thanks for the helpful advice!

      Originally Posted by stan07 View Post

      I would say if you set a date for that particular goal to be achieved and for some reason or other, it doesn't come to fruition don't beat yourself up over it, just reposition for the next month or 2 while working all the time to complete in the shortest period possible. I totally agree with what Jeff is saying "take yourself less seriously" life is for living.
      Originally Posted by AaronMorton View Post

      @modex whenever I set goals and don't follow through on them it is usually because of a combination of a number of things:

      1 - I am setting too many goals to achieve all at once.

      2 - It has been an impulse goal set, meaning It wasn't something I truly wanted to achieve, it was just a whim.

      3 - I didn't set a clear enough on going agenda of 'mini goals' to achieve the larger end goal.

      4 - I didn't set aside time for feedback to check my progress.

      Aaron Morton
      Originally Posted by Jeff Schuman View Post

      I keep a simple daily to do list that helps me stay focused on my long term business goals. I do set goals that I do not achieve, but if I am moving my Internet business forward all of the time I am o.k. with that.
      Originally Posted by therenegadeleader View Post

      Everyone experienced frustration, which is good! Why? Because its your chance to grow and learn something new in your life which is a challenge to overcome obstacles that comes to your way.
      Originally Posted by GT View Post

      Jeff's comment expresses my point of view on this exactly: daily lists help me keep focused and motivated; and I do set short and long term goals, some of which I fail to meet.

      But the thing is, if you have a major goal that you are working towards, and if that goal is VERY clearly outlined and is something that TRULY motivates you, then temporary roadblocks, mental blocks and failed goal attempts will not deter you. Like Jeff says, as long as you do SOMEthing each day that moves your business forward, you are making progress.

      GT
      Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

      It used to bother me a lot. I spent most of the early years of my adult life wasting away in a dead end job and never following through on my goals. Once I clearly outlined things and removed people that were holding me back though, everything just sort of clicked.
      Originally Posted by BuriedAlive View Post

      Just don't push yourself too hard. Stress and depression weakens our immune system so you really also have to think about your well-being. Set reachable/achievable goals for yourself. It's good to test your limits every now and then but don't do it too often. Also, reward yourself every time you achieved a goal. One goal at a time. Don't try to do too much at one.
      Thanks a lot for your help guys! Phew, this is the first time I have posted something on an internet forum and so many people have come forward to help out. I must say the community on Warrior Forum is truly awesome!

      I really appreciate your point of views.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5898212].message }}

Trending Topics