Perfection will lead you broke...MY STORY

40 replies
Perfection will lead you broke...

Perfection will lead you broke...

Perfection will lead you broke...

I have coached over 1000 students and each and every one will tell you that one major concept I always stress is that perfectionism is the enemy of all enemies in the Internet Marketing space.

I don't care what anybody says, if you do something with absolutely perfection, then you left A LOT OF MONEY on the table somewhere along the line. Perfection will lead you broke, always.

Let's attack this at the experience level...

BEGINNERS: This is most important to you. When you get into IM, with the overload of information, the shiny objects blinding every direction you turn your gaze, and the misinformation that gets spread, every marketer feels like a one-footed chicken without a head. That's just how it is.

The tendency for new marketers is to find a method and then research everything they need to know about that method so they understand it perfectly and set up that perfect campaign, site, process from the start.

With all the differing information, the task of developing a perfect site, campaign, product, or process right from the start is virtually impossible. So newer marketers tend to spend about 95% of their time and effort learning and researching and 5% actually doing whatever it is they are doing.

The BEST way to learn and know what works for you (which may be different from others) is to learn by doing. Jump in, put out a campaign that you know isn't perfect, get feedback from the market, customers, stats and then make a change and throw it back out there. Continue to do this. You know the saying...throw enough poop against the wall and you'll find something that sticks.

So don't strive for perfection when you are new...just learn by doing, by taking action. Learn by trial and error, not by perfecting a system before even releasing it to the world. Perfection will lead you broke.


INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCED MARKETERS: For the beginner market, the goal is to get in the habit of taking action and just putting stuff out there...stuff that is imperfect. That's an exponentially faster way to learn than to come up with that perfect strategy before releasing it to the world.

But for intermediate and advanced marketers, perfection will lead you broke is more about your time. At this point, you understand the basic process and elements of whatever you are doing. But by creating something that is perfect, you put in way too much time that could have been better utilized on other profit making activity.

Eventually you'll reach an equilibrium point whereby the incremental time you spend perfecting your process will actually cost you money instead of making you money. So if you ever get to the point of perfection, because of the "money value of time" you will have lost money.

There will always be a point where good is good enough. If you surpass that point, you are shooting yourself in the foot by letting your perfectionism take over. The same is true if you don't reach that point.

The tricky part is finding where that equilibrium point is for you...the point where good is good enough. There is no science to this as it's impossible to predict the outcome of your process if you had put X more time into it...but it's something you will feel out as you plug along.

Perfection will lead you broke...

Perfection will lead you broke...

Perfection will lead you broke...

For me personally, the day that goes by where I don't make a mistake is the day by business will stop growing. Mistakes means you are taking massive action, which is the true recipe for growth.

So no matter where you are in your marketing, I urge you to at least evaluate this concept as it relates to what you are doing. Are you spending too much time and energy on something? Are you waiting to release that product, site, campaign because it's not perfect yet?

Strive to do big things, things of value, and things that are great. And even strive for perfection, but remember that if you reach it...you will have lost money.

What are your thoughts on achieving perfection?
#brokemy #lead #perfection #story
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    yes i agree, when JOHN Reese was helping me back in the day he said just get it out there. You can always tweak, improve do stuff to it later.

    If you dont release stuff into the wild because you want it perfect how do you know what perfect is. So many people do not do well cause they hold back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362057].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EdwinBrownJr
      Originally Posted by celente View Post

      yes i agree, when JOHN Reese was helping me back in the day he said just get it out there. You can always tweak, improve do stuff to it later.

      If you dont release stuff into the wild because you want it perfect how do you know what perfect is. So many people do not do well cause they hold back.
      I have that Thread saved

      How *Crap* Can Dramatically Boost Your Profits!
      JohnReese
      The Warrior Forum - How *Crap* Can Dramatically Boost Your Profits!


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7437657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I totally agree with this post. In fact I didn't even have a great response to write for you but I figured it was best to just get my imperfect post up as soon as possible. I can always tweak it later, right?

    Beginners should definitely take note of this thread. It will save you a lot of time and money along the way. Take it from someone who made the same mistake.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
      I remember hearing Mitch Axelrod say...

      "Imperfect action beats perfect inaction every time"

      He's right.

      However, as an as yet non-recovered perfectionist and
      chief procrastinator myself, seeing the sense in the advice
      and actually changing my behavior are two different kettles
      of fish.

      Dedicated to mutual success,

      Shaun
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zoldusta
    that's true kenster. nice post. since many people say: "no one is perfect" then why should we go for "perfection"

    i agree with you "Perfection will lead you broke"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nino
    Yeah Ken... I'm still guilty of that!

    But what i would like to add is this: you can never start something perfectly and it's actually better to start it imperfect because the tweaks you can do along the way will go a looong way. By starting out perfect you just assume that everything is perfect so you won't make any changes or tests that could boost your business exponentially because you would be afraid not to ruin your "perfect thing".

    Nino
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362212].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    I am sooooo guilty of this it's not even funny anymore. What should take me a weekend at most is now taking 20 days or more. All because of perfectionism.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    LOL! I waste some time on this...

    ...perfection definitely doesn't increase quality...
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    I definitely agree with your advice Kenster!

    Taking massive action is what leads to success so by sitting around trying to perfect each and every part of your business you are wasting a lot of time, thus losing out on more money.

    Eben Pagan said that success is all about speed of implementation...

    How quick can you turn your thoughts and ideas into a reality?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    My thoughts on achieving perfection? It is like approaching the horizon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vicky K
    lol I suppose if you can be a REALLY QUICK perfectionist that's fine

    for everyone else.. take imperfect action. Just put stuff out there, get numbers, get experience, then improve and do it again (or just do it again cause.. perfectionism will lead you broke! )

    Love it. Kudos Kenster!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikeac
    Great Article Kenster!

    I can admit that Ive been a victim of trying to be perfect also. Everything is tweakable and in the long run you just have to get out their and take action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kolled
    From the comments above, it seems this is a widespread phenomenon. It's saddening how a product can sit around waiting for "the final touches" that never seem to end. If only one could gather the courage to launch it and improve on it later, it would be more beneficial to both the buyer and seller. But no, it has to be perfect! Which leads to frustrations and more delays. Quite a vicious cycle.
    "The man who waits for a perfect opportunity, will wait a life-time."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7363005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Says
    As I do agree that a great model for learning is doing, I don't think you should do EVERYTHING without actually learning a bit.

    It really depends on the overall level of the person. As someone who doesn't know anything might not learn the same way.

    Here's a few suggestions on good reads.

    Learning from failure is overrated by Jason Fried of 37signals

    Failure is overrated, a redux by Jason Fried of 37signals

    I don't think we need to aim for perfection, but sometimes it's good to get a good understanding of something first (TIP: you can get a good understanding in a day if you wanted to)

    For those out there starting out, I'll give you my example of failure to success.. which I wish I could have skipped over..

    I built a good 30 websites before I even understood some of the basics about WordPress and domains, almost all of them were wrong and I didn't know where I was going with them.

    Of course I am where I am today because of that, but at the same time, I could have saved myself a lot of failures by just reading a few short tutorials or watching a few videos on the good ol' YouTube.

    Anyways, don't aim for failure, aim for success.


    Originally Posted by kolled View Post

    From the comments above, it seems this is a widespread phenomenon. It's saddening how a product can sit around waiting for "the final touches" that never seem to end. If only one could gather the courage to launch it and improve on it later, it would be more beneficial to both the buyer and seller. But no, it has to be perfect! Which leads to frustrations and more delays. Quite a vicious cycle.
    "The man who waits for a perfect opportunity, will wait a life-time."

    Yea, one of my best products took a total of 15 minutes to record, 10 minutes to type a pdf, and 15 minutes to setup a squeeze page.

    BUT I will say that the whole reason that product even existed is because I took action prior and also learned quite a bit before sharing it.
    Signature

    My name is Justin Lewis, with Business Optimizer I've been in business for 6 years online with multiple six figure years, here are the tools that have helped me the most: Increase your reviews with this free Review Handout

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7363261].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      I totally agree with this post. In fact I didn't even have a great response to write for you but I figured it was best to just get my imperfect post up as soon as possible. I can always tweak it later, right?

      Beginners should definitely take note of this thread. It will save you a lot of time and money along the way. Take it from someone who made the same mistake.

      I like your style Will!!!


      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      I am sooooo guilty of this it's not even funny anymore. What should take me a weekend at most is now taking 20 days or more. All because of perfectionism.

      WORK ON THAT. That can literally be the difference in moving the decimal place over a few places in your business...seriously, work on that Mike!!


      Originally Posted by Justin Lewis View Post

      As I do agree that a great model for learning is doing, I don't think you should do EVERYTHING without actually learning a bit.

      It really depends on the overall level of the person. As someone who doesn't know anything might not learn the same way.

      Here's a few suggestions on good reads.

      Learning from failure is overrated by Jason Fried of 37signals

      Failure is overrated, a redux by Jason Fried of 37signals

      I don't think we need to aim for perfection, but sometimes it's good to get a good understanding of something first (TIP: you can get a good understanding in a day if you wanted to)

      For those out there starting out, I'll give you my example of failure to success.. which I wish I could have skipped over..

      I built a good 30 websites before I even understood some of the basics about WordPress and domains, almost all of them were wrong and I didn't know where I was going with them.

      Of course I am where I am today because of that, but at the same time, I could have saved myself a lot of failures by just reading a few short tutorials or watching a few videos on the good ol' YouTube.

      Anyways, don't aim for failure, aim for success.


      Yea, one of my best products took a total of 15 minutes to record, 10 minutes to type a pdf, and 15 minutes to setup a squeeze page.

      BUT I will say that the whole reason that product even existed is because I took action prior and also learned quite a bit before sharing it.

      Yes, learning before doing has some advantages but I think the tendency is to learn too much...too get things too right...too perfect, which is what I was trying to convey.

      So don't go into something completely blind, but at least get in the habit of taking action. I would rather know 10% of what I need and learn the other 90% by taking action and making mistakes than the other way around...any day of the week.

      Action is the best habit to ever have...in this business at least!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365856].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Justin Says
        Originally Posted by Kenster View Post

        Yes, learning before doing has some advantages but I think the tendency is to learn too much...too get things too right...too perfect, which is what I was trying to convey.

        So don't go into something completely blind, but at least get in the habit of taking action. I would rather know 10% of what I need and learn the other 90% by taking action and making mistakes than the other way around...any day of the week.

        Action is the best habit to ever have...in this business at least!
        I think the biggest problem is that people tend to learn from too many places, rather than just going straight through something.

        Like if someone wants to learn HTML, just go to a place like w3schools, read the info (while taking action) and VOILA.

        Not more guessing for years.

        Same thing with WordPress, I wish I had just read the WordPress.org website when I started, it could have been done in a matter of a day or so and saved me TONS of time.

        Then there's backlinks, I read one side of the story, but not the full story.

        For a while I was only using the wrong techniques because I thought that was the only way to go about doing things, if I had found the right resource, I would have been a lot better off.

        So yes, taking action is great and hell yea, I'm all for it. I take action constantly (recorded almost 100 videos in the last 3 days).

        BUT and I have to include the BUT in the there haha.

        It's better to get a decent amount right the first time, versus continuously making mistakes, that's what I included those links to what Jason Fried said a while back about how failure is overrated and I agree with that statement.

        I would have been so much better off if I had just found the right resources.

        So, the whole point of what I'm saying is, if you find the right resource and take action, you'll do wonders, even without understanding everything, but if you are being led in the wrong direction (like most of the people reading this most likely, hence their reason for probably reading your original post), then it doesn't matter how much action you take, you won't really get much out of it until you know why you're doing something.

        Take action smarter.
        Signature

        My name is Justin Lewis, with Business Optimizer I've been in business for 6 years online with multiple six figure years, here are the tools that have helped me the most: Increase your reviews with this free Review Handout

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlmightyGreg
    This is so true... I think in my case however, I have slowly began to work with what I got
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7363320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JingQuimPo
    There is a chinese saying:
    “Were I to await perfection, my book would never be finished”
    Sums it up everything about perfection.

    Jing Quimpo




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7368981].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LindseyRainwater
      Ugh. I'm still learning this lesson!

      There is a fine line between wanting to do a good job, and wanting to do a perfect job. And if you do a good job - but not a perfect one - sometimes you find yourself asking "If I'd done a little more, would I have made more sales?"

      Problem being you SHOULD be thinking about the fact that in the time it would have taken to be more perfect on one project and maybe made another $50, you could be well on your way to making another $500!

      Been there, done that. Still doing it WAAAAY too often.

      Thank you for taking the time to remind us all of the "perfectionism time sink" and start pounding it into newbies as soon as possible.
      Signature
      Limited Time: Grab the "Pay Your Way" option, and get a complete website with content created - without having to pay the full amount up-front! Pay what you can today, and make payments from there! Click HERE for more info!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7369671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabibeowulf
    I couldn't agree more. I have a couple of friends that wanted to start a membership oriented type of website. I told them before they even paid to have the website complete to take into consideration the fact that their marketing is way more important than all the fancy functionality and graphics...

    They nodded their heads in agreement with what I said...

    Guess what?

    A full year .. maybe a year and half has passed... and the website has gotten a third redesign... but not a single customer. It doesn't even get traffic .. not too mention customers.

    A fine example of "if it's perfect, they will come". What's even worst is that they seem to understand when I talk about marketing the site... but what they do is the total opposite.

    So yeah, perfection costs a lot with little to no results... Especially for newbies.

    Me... I would rather throw an unfinished site just for kicks and test out things. I've sold products that I haven't even built yet, just to see if there's demand for it.

    Obsessing over perfection is a sure way to lose a lot of money...(and time)

    - Gabriel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7369966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tjaysen70
    Well yeah bro, I see what you're saying in that with IM you just need to take action and figure out stuff along the way. Instead of waiting for things to be perfect before you do anything.

    But I disagree with the Perfection will lead you broke. Why?

    Um, just ask Steve Jobs or Michael Jackson (a little hard to ask them now since they're dead, but this is a rhetorical statement).

    But these guys were total perfectionist, albeit to a fault maybe, but they both were some of the riches dudes out there.
    Signature

    Tired of the grind? Wait. PM me to see a better way.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7370796].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by tjaysen70 View Post

      Well yeah bro, I see what you're saying in that with IM you just need to take action and figure out stuff along the way. Instead of waiting for things to be perfect before you do anything.

      But I disagree with the Perfection will lead you broke. Why?

      Um, just ask Steve Jobs or Michael Jackson (a little hard to ask them now since they're dead, but this is a rhetorical statement).

      But these guys were total perfectionist, albeit to a fault maybe, but they both were some of the riches dudes out there.

      Every single product Steve Jobs put out wasn't perfect and he knew that. ESPECIALLY in the tech space, the target is moving faster than any other industry so you can never be perfect.

      In fact, at the time every single Apple product is put out to the market, they have already been working on another more advanced product for months.

      Same with Michael Jackson, if he truly was a perfectionist, he would have never made a mistake, never put out an album, and nobody would even know who he is.

      THEY BOTH STRIVE FOR PERFECTION BUT GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416141].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chandan94
        I strongly agree with you Kenster.
        As a Tech. Guy if I start discussing of every tech product, digital product and etc...
        then it will be a long page. But shortly I just wanted to let you people know that
        it is open truth that any tech. product or digital product is made with a view of releasing
        its next modified version.

        As a developer I agree that when we start developing a software we start with present
        demand and predict for future demand's version in mind.

        You are awesome Kenster as I found, a man with complete genius from all angle.

        Thanks
        Chand
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author markmatthews
    work with whatever you have. doesn't have to be perfect. slow and continuous progress is what I believe.
    Signature

    Skadoosh!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7372590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joshster
    I am reading a great book that looks at fear, which may be at the root of much of the time wasted tweaking etc. The 50th Law: The 50th Law: 50 Cent, Robert Greene: Amazon.com:...The 50th Law: 50 Cent, Robert Greene: Amazon.com:...
    It came recommended via Deagan Smith and Russel Brunson. Daegan said it was his favorite book of 2012!
    Signature
    Looking to form an LLC or C/S Corporation?
    See my review of online co's here http://ji1.org/LLCs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7407939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sandycmy
    Two quotes come to mind reading this thread:

    a) Dive into action before you are fully prepared ! ( I don't recollect the source)


    and


    b) "We will be relentless in our pursuit for perfection. We won't ever be perfect - but in the process we will achieve greatness." - Vince Lombardi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by Sandycmy View Post

      Two quotes come to mind reading this thread:

      a) Dive into action before you are fully prepared ! ( I don't recollect the source)


      and


      b) "We will be relentless in our pursuit for perfection. We won't ever be perfect - but in the process we will achieve greatness." - Vince Lombardi

      "We will be relentless in our pursuit for perfection. We won't ever be perfect - but in the process we will achieve greatness." - Vince Lombardi

      That sums it up perfect!!!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7434418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sandycmy
    Hi me again !

    Can't resist another one

    Version One is better than Version None
    Campaign One is better than Campaign None.

    and the One is never perfect
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7416470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrelk159
    Excellent read, and excellent share, it definitely makes sense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Pride
    I love the 'diminishing returns' part of your post. Many people are taking action but it's at a point where it's small and meaningless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7434974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kathy Bell
    It's important to not be afraid to fail. There is so much learning that takes place in the process of trying to learn or achieve, regardless of the outcome. If you try something and it doesn't work out, it just means that you are one step closer to success.

    Of course, all this is much easier said than done. I am as guilty as the next person of trying to be perfect, but am trying to learn to let that go and embrace failure as part of the process.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7436515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
    Perfection is oftentimes a highly misunderstood word..To me it is all about trying to put in more efforts in right direction. I think the word should be replaced by excellence....and sentences should be, "I'm trying to excel in IM"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7437104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vicwins
    It's very true, Kenster! I feel like I have 15 heads trying to do many things (buy/sell domains, build sites, run mobile campaigns, etc), all of which is lucrative, that end up just wasting my time as 1 body can't run in 15 different directions... HELP!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7826886].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    Excellent post Kenster!

    I totally agree with you. Too many newbies suffer from "analysis paralysis". Just take action and then work it out along the way. Perfection is a journey, not a destination. You will never master it.

    Ratan Tata, CEO of the multi-billion dollar Tata Group says "I never make right decisions. I take decisions then make them right."

    Learn from the best to be the best.

    Thanks Kenster.

    Sanj
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7829336].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      Excellent post Kenster!

      I totally agree with you. Too many newbies suffer from "analysis paralysis". Just take action and then work it out along the way. Perfection is a journey, not a destination. You will never master it.

      Ratan Tata, CEO of the multi-billion dollar Tata Group says "I never make right decisions. I take decisions then make them right."

      Learn from the best to be the best.

      Thanks Kenster.

      Sanj

      I absolutely love that quote!!! "I never make right decisions. I take decisions then make them right."

      Brilliant
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7843782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mert
    This posts reminds me of this quote I run by a couple of days ago:

    "It is better to finish something that ain't perfect, rather than trying to make something perfect that will never get done"

    And I truly believe this applies in all walks of life!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    Great thread on perfection.

    If it's workable, it's ready, get it out there! seek perfection later while it's in motion.

    The road to your perception of perfection...

    Workable >>> Decent >>> Pretty good >>> Nice >>> Great >>> Amazing >>> Perfection
    Signature

    THESE PRODUCTS FREE @ adsense-expert
    When You Get The 300 Logo Templates Here
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7845337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Michael
    I don't agree with your premise. Perfection is the strive to get it right the first time.

    Remove all the unnecessaries and you have perfection.
    Signature
    Traffic Automation Solutions
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7845485].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author smodha
      Originally Posted by David Michael View Post

      I don't agree with your premise. Perfection is the strive to get it right the first time.

      Remove all the unnecessaries and you have perfection.
      You will never "get it right" the first time. Unfortunately, in the real world it doesn't work like that.

      I don't know of any successful individual or business that got it right the first time round.

      Success is all about iteration...
      Signature
      I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grumpyjacksa
    mmm....

    1. Perfection isn't.

    what is perfect today, is mediocre tomorrow

    2. If you strive for perfection, you - as you so rightly proved...

    get "stuck in beta"

    (and yes, you WILL cost yourself a boatload of money in the process wasting all that time)

    so yes - make it good - bot DO IT

    3. If you are constantly trying to tweak and improve BEFORE you put something out...

    you are AFRAID...

    afraid it will not be received well, or it will not be good enough...

    FEAR paralyzes you

    get over it

    just my 0.02c
    Signature
    Ex-ghostwriter now writing exclusive PLR ebooks - Limited PLR Club
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7849836].message }}

Trending Topics