Let me tell you something

by raxux
16 replies
I am writing this to share some stuff I have learned.

It's really the tip of iceberg, but it has a lot of meanings. I will write some more if I make some achievements in my life as I don't think I am right to do so before then.

----
If you can remember anyone in your life, say that he/she is a classmate, a friend or just a person you know from the past etc.

And this person is someone you always have thought is a retard.
This person has no talking skills nor has ability to calculate numbers.
He sucks at math, he sucks at presentation, sucks at PE and has 1~2 friends who looks nerdy and has no life from cover. He really is no good at anything.

After a decade has passed, you hear some news about him or like you found out what he is doing.

That this retard has approximately 10 times more money than what you have and a lot of people now know this guy. Now, this retard has become a real pain in your arse making you criticize why you're not doing no better than this retard.

Every single moment, you sit down try to have a rest after working long painful hours at work, but you just can't get off the thought that this retard in zakuzi with 2 girls in his each arm while you spend your day with a miserable boss and on the weekend your wife bitching at you.

You rationalize yourself that this retard is very lucky so somehow he has a better life, a much better one in fact, but you already lost competition and the fact that you lost against a retard, will never change.

So

Why is this idiot has lots money, power, cars and girls? Is it because he's really lucky? Why?
------------

The reason

Think of any successful men, what do they have in common?

Do you think this successful man is good at numbers? Or does he talk well?
It's really a common mistake that people make when judging people.

Someone who's good at mathematics? he will probably spend rest of his life working at a lab.

So why?

This retard sees more than you do, means that he has a broad range of vision. He knows how what to start and make money. He knows how to make with little budget and make more money using income he learned from small business and repeat.

He will use math guy to calculate the numbers for him he will use talk guy to speak for him.

But he looks ugly, never good at numbers he can't talk to impress anyone.
Being good at numbers or talking well has nothing to do with success.

It is mainly the broadness of sight.
  • Profile picture of the author kellyyarnsbro
    It is because you judge the book by its cover, you're over confident that this dumb guy is never gonna beat you in any race or competition and mostly because you compare yourself with others so as this line goes "By comparing yourself to others you are insulting yourself".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7843994].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Heart Cardio
      Originally Posted by kellyyarnsbro View Post

      It is because you judge the book by its cover, you're over confident that this dumb guy is never gonna beat you in any race or competition and mostly because you compare yourself with others so as this line goes "By comparing yourself to others you are insulting yourself".
      I agree with you completely. You can not judge people by what is on the outside or how he has always acted. And you should not be comparing yourself to others either. Yes you may have thought that this person was a retard but obviously this person was not because he knew how to be successful. And he most likely had a lot of time on his hands to perfect his way when everyone thought that he was a retard.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7852767].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rgb
    just be better and like kelly said don't compare your self to others man...

    and there is no such thing as "being lucky".

    I think this might help... whatever you do in life, how successful you'll become,
    there will always someone better and more successful than you, so looking at others
    people success wont do you to much good.
    Signature

    Do you want to become an Amazon Best Selling Author?
    Then you need to look like one - check out how I help authors build a better brand and sell more books.

    > Check our my new product for authors <
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844011].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author raxux
      Originally Posted by rgb View Post

      just be better and like kelly said don't compare your self to others man...

      and there is no such thing as "being lucky".

      I think this might help... whatever you do in life, how successful you'll become,
      there will always someone better and more successful than you, so looking at others
      people success wont do you to much good.
      Good point but that kind of sounds like a monk. Competitions help to make a better result every day and this competition would mean comparison.
      If you don't do this, you'll be satisfied at some point and no try any further.

      Competitions are not bad, but don't get obsessed with them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rozaimi3
    That's mean that if we don't have courage or talent to do something, just outsource it to the expert.
    Signature
    “ First, solve the problem. Then, write the code. ”
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844452].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheDreamerSpot
      Originally Posted by kellyyarnsbro View Post

      It is because you judge the book by its cover, you're over confident that this dumb guy is never gonna beat you in any race or competition and mostly because you compare yourself with others so as this line goes "By comparing yourself to others you are insulting yourself".
      Originally Posted by raxux View Post

      Good point but that kind of sounds like a monk. Competitions help to make a better result every day and this competition would mean comparison.
      If you don't do this, you'll be satisfied at some point and no try any further.

      Competitions are not bad, but don't get obsessed with them.


      Yes, if you learn to "compete" with yourself in order to grow, learn, and become a better person. This will not happen as long as you are competing with others as you will never find happiness or self love in that. The fact that you are so abusive with your words in your first post clearly shows that you are not happy with yourself, which is why you feel the need to compete with people around you.

      When you are happy with you, there is no need to compare yourself to others. You will then understand this when you begin to grow as a person.

      Quick question. How old are you?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844629].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author raxux
        Originally Posted by TheDreamerSpot View Post

        Yes, if you learn to "compete" with yourself in order to grow, learn, and become a better person. This will not happen as long as you are competing with others as you will never find happiness or self love in that. The fact that you are so abusive with your words in your first post clearly shows that you are not happy with yourself, which is why you feel the need to compete with people around you.

        When you are happy with you, there is no need to compare yourself to others. You will then understand this when you begin to grow as a person.

        Quick question. How old are you?
        I thought I wrote well, but I know I am not a good talker. And by seeing replies, I realize people are thinking that this story is about myself and rather try to preach me with shallow words. However, from the post I wrote, there is no 'me'. This would mean I am not involved in the story.

        This is about common thinking that people do in their lives. By what you said 'abusive' words, I'll take this as my mistake, but as my 1st language isn't English, you can perhaps understand why now.

        Like a person who wrote in his/her reply not to judge by the cover of book, you can forget about 'abusive' word and maybe be open mind to understand the true meaning since there has been noone who understood this true meaning.

        I always think people are decided, yet some have potential to go further. If this isn't a point of many things you cannot accept, you may move to other thread and be happy with yourself.

        Age isn't much of a criteria when judging the maturity of a person. It can be used when judging shallowly. What he/she has learned and make output from the learning. The quality of this output can be used for judging. Of course not by the cover.

        Peace and please kindly try not to be offensive further.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844889].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheDreamerSpot
          Originally Posted by raxux View Post

          I thought I wrote well, but I know I am not a good talker. And by seeing replies, I realize people are thinking that this story is about myself and rather try to preach me with shallow words. However, from the post I wrote, there is no 'me'. This would mean I am not involved in the story.

          This is about common thinking that people do in their lives. By what you said 'abusive' words, I'll take this as my mistake, but as my 1st language isn't English, you can perhaps understand why now.

          Like a person who wrote in his/her reply not to judge by the cover of book, you can forget about 'abusive' word and maybe be open mind to understand the true meaning since there has been noone who understood this true meaning.

          I always think people are decided, yet some have potential to go further. If this isn't a point of many things you cannot accept, you may move to other thread and be happy with yourself.

          Age isn't much of a criteria when judging the maturity of a person. It can be used when judging shallowly. What he/she has learned and make output from the learning. The quality of this output can be used for judging. Of course not by the cover.

          Peace and please kindly try not to be offensive further.
          I sincerely apologize if you took offense to my post as that was not my motive at all. Very sorry for that.

          Thanks for clearing it up. I see what you're saying now, and your post makes more sense to me. Well, not so much that it makes more sense, but the point you were trying to make has been made clear, at least in my eyes.

          I agree, successful people do have a much broader outlook on everything. So broad in fact, that we meet such harsh adversity by others who simply don't understand our way of thinking.

          Success is a mindset which is based on goals, perseverance, confidence, and belief. Mix this mindset with imagination, or a broader outlook on things, and you have an undoubted recipe for success!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846577].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author raxux
      Originally Posted by rozaimi3 View Post

      That's mean that if we don't have courage or talent to do something, just outsource it to the expert.
      You'll need to know what comes first then outsource.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mert
    Luck is a combination of skills, intelligence and timing. People think that having lots of money means success. Does that mean a college professor has no shot at it? Or a gym instructor perhaps?

    Yes, seeing the bigger picture does you good. But doing what you do best is satisfying. Would you not agree?

    This defines success, no matter how you see it. Heck, if you ought to have a lot of money then you should have picked a career in business or marketing. Period!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844738].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author raxux
      Originally Posted by mert View Post

      Luck is a combination of skills, intelligence and timing. People think that having lots of money means success. Does that mean a college professor has no shot at it? Or a gym instructor perhaps?

      Yes, seeing the bigger picture does you good. But doing what you do best is satisfying. Would you not agree?

      This defines success, no matter how you see it. Heck, if you ought to have a lot of money then you should have picked a career in business or marketing. Period!
      There're many ways to define success. There is also a similar well-known story about this logic- "The King and the Beggar". I have seen people happy about themselves with little money. Reason is unknown, it could be many.

      You said, because they do what they good at for this reason.
      Many people do not realize what they good at. It is quite a hard job to find out. There's also a good theory I find about this, but I have no right to write now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7844964].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mert
        Originally Posted by raxux View Post

        There're many ways to define success. There is also a similar well-known story about this logic- "The King and the Beggar". I have seen people happy about themselves with little money. Reason is unknown, it could be many.

        You said, because they do what they good at for this reason.
        Many people do not realize what they good at. It is quite a hard job to find out. There's also a good theory I find about this, but I have no right to write now.
        "There're many ways to define success. There is also a similar well-known story about this logic- "The King and the Beggar". I have seen people happy about themselves with little money. Reason is unknown, it could be many."

        That's exactly what I meant! Success is not defined by making more money, it's the feeling of being content of what you do and what you have.

        "'You said, because they do what they good at for this reason.
        Many people do not realize what they good at. It is quite a hard job to find out. There's also a good theory I find about this, but I have no right to write now."

        I think you're proposing a different point of view. The thing is you have to find it first in order to succeed, otherwise you will end up like the guy wondering about his nerd classmate.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7849869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Originally Posted by raxux View Post

    Think of any successful men, what do they have in common?
    Is it because they are retarded?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7850108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marbeloa
    I've talked to Richard Branson about this very point when I met him. Did you know he dropped out of school in his mid-teens and is Dyslexic? In many people eyes he could be seen as a retard.

    I had a friend who spent much of his business life comparing himself to what his school friends have done. Hi is driven by "beating" those around him. He has built a small empire and is a millionaire but is still stressed and unhappy as a couple of his friend appear to be "higher up the list". He's never been happy and probably never will be. (Incidentally he has lots of health issue which I believe is no co-incidence)

    I believe success is all about our attitudes, the thoughts we choose to have and our belief system. I got to a stage in my life where I celebrated the success of others rather than saw them as competition. We are so conditioned within society to compete against others, but infact, all we can compete against is ourselves.

    I used to have an Olympic athletics coach in sprinting and jumping. He once told me that the minute you turn your head in a race to look to see where your competitors are beside you, you've lost the race. Stay focused on the finish line, run your best race, stay relaxed, but don't waste energy worrying where your competitors are - it only slows you down.

    My aim in life is to try to simply be better today than I was yesterday. That's real progress for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7852807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Evocess
    Comparing yourself to other is poisonous.
    You don't need to over look with the ability of a person by just seeing him in physical.
    Sometimes people that looks weird are those who gain enough success in life.

    I would really agree that applying some WEIRDNESS in your life makes your life more fruitful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7853137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barefut
    Bill Gates - enough said
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7855961].message }}

Trending Topics