Half full or half empty? The story of Bata Shoes...

by smodha
17 replies
Hey WF,

How you approach life will ultimately decide the outcome of it. In my opinion, there are only two types of people on this planet. The guys who find solutions and guys who concentrate on problems. Let me share a story with you...

Shoe manufacturers from all over the world were looking for emerging markets to sell their products to. After scouring the globe, some of them sent sales teams into Africa, completed their due diligence reports and headed back to their countries of origin. The overall majority said, "There is no market in Africa because nobody wears shoes".

Bata Shoes (a company from the Czech Republic) also sent their sales teams into Africa, completed their due diligence reports and headed back to their HQ. They said, "There is a market in Africa because nobody wears shoes!".

Bata now dominate Africa and the developing world in the shoes market all because they saw opportunity where others saw obstacles or risk.

So tell me, what are you? Half full or half empty?

Sanj.

PS - This was many years back when Africa wasn't a developing market. I have been to Africa many times and people do wear shoes.
#bata #empty #full #half #shoes #story
  • Profile picture of the author Bhekizwe
    Originally Posted by smodha View Post


    "There is no market in Africa because nobody wears shoes".

    "There is a market in Africa because nobody wears shoes!".



    So tell me, what are you? Half full or half empty?
    Great perspectives.Ken McElroy of Rich Dad Advisors once said "many people shun problems yet it is in problems where opportunities [to provide solutions ]exist"
    Signature

    Get the real coaching you need to be massively successful in your own business: HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Originally Posted by smodha View Post

    How you approach life will ultimately decide the outcome of it. In my opinion, there are only two types of people on this planet.
    Actually, there are three types of people on the planet - those that can count and those that can't

    Anyway, I remember this story from way back, but didn't know the company was Bata - so thanks for that little bit of info.

    Will
    Signature
    Is This The World's Easiest Way to Make Money?

    Click Here to Find Out
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 10zen
    Questions are the answers
    Problems are the solutions..

    For every problem out there, someone is making money!
    If there isn't already market you can make one, you just have to make the people
    see the value in what you have to offer.

    I see lots of opportunities in my own country as it is a developing country. Many wish if it were US or some 1st world country for different opportunities. But in reality, it is less competitive here.
    You can still be the first one introduce different services and products to the people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948783].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author conanedo
    ckckck very optimistic, umm i think people at africa relatively poor.. i don't think they will buy shoes for priority
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author QuelThalas
    a glass of water theory. good perspective. maybe people perspective is half empty because the habit thought about it. maybe?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anne0521
    Originally Posted by smodha View Post

    Hey WF,

    How you approach life will ultimately decide the outcome of it.

    "There is no market in Africa because nobody wears shoes".

    "There is a market in Africa because nobody wears shoes!".
    Nice!..sounds like if there's a well, there's a way.But anyway, I agree with you, some people have a positive approach about life so they have a happy disposition and always look at the bright side of life.

    I guess that's one thing I want to have in my life..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8186450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joel Young
      Originally Posted by Anne0521 View Post

      ...if there's a well, there's a way.
      If there's a well??
      Signature
      Resources, Tools and Strategies for Your Online Presence
      Website Design & Development - Document Management - Marketing Strategies - Personal Development
      CBI Web Services
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8259431].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
        Originally Posted by Joel Young View Post

        Originally Posted by Anne0521 View Post

        ...if there's a well, there's a way.
        If there's a well??
        ... probably the well they used to half fill the glass.
        Signature
        Write System - superior web content
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8260098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
    Nice story and i get your point but Bata Shoes is near bankruptcy in my country..

    Cheers,

    Gary
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8187305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jay walters
    Thank you for the share. I like the story.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8189349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by smodha View Post

    The overall majority said, "There is no market in Africa because nobody wears shoes".

    Bata Shoes (a company from the Czech Republic) also sent their sales teams into Africa, completed their due diligence reports and headed back to their HQ. They said, "There is a market in Africa because nobody wears shoes!".

    Bata now dominate Africa and the developing world in the shoes market all because they saw opportunity where others saw obstacles or risk.

    So tell me, what are you? Half full or half empty?

    Sanj.

    PS - This was many years back when Africa wasn't a developing market. I have been to Africa many times and people do wear shoes.
    I've heard the story told a few different ways.

    From a marketing point of view, it's always better to sell shoes to people who wear shoes. If they don't wear shoes, now you have to sell the idea of wearing shoes at all.

    Anyway, about the "Glass half full" idea?

    While you guys were debating, I drank the water...and sold the glass.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8191795].message }}
  • I am a middle of the road guy.

    The story of Bata Shoes was a good reminder of what to look for in a business opportunity.

    Thanks for the interesting thread.

    LLS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8248849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ViralMediaBoost
    The concept is totally spot on: Sell shoes to those who wear them. If they don't, sell them the idea why we need to wear shoes. Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8259410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brutecky
    Originally Posted by smodha View Post

    So tell me, what are you? Half full or half empty?
    Im a half empty kind of guy. Being aware of the negative and seeing things I dont like gives me the drive and energy to improve and innovate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8259510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Houck
    Great story, I a definitely glad you shared it. Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8260989].message }}

Trending Topics