However, it hasn't always been a smooth ride, but I've been able to keep it steady and here are some important tips I've learned:
- You'll have to get used to more spontaneous and sporadic income rather than expecting a paycheck every 2 weeks. Make sure to budget accordingly for your expenses and then you can spend money on what you want. There have been so many times I've had to cancel dinner with friends because I had to blow my IM earnings on paying the mortgage, bills, and doing advertising. I've been very fortunate to meet all my required expenses within the first 2 weeks of the month.
- There are days where you will get tons of money, little money, or no money at all. Everything depends on how much you keep up with your IM ventures. Don't despair if you have a non-pay day since if you keep up your IM ventures, you'll have much bigger pay days. The highest I've ever gone without earning money has only been 2 days.
- You don't need a fancy car, a big house, or expensive toys to live. I still drive my decade old van (which is fully paid off), I have roommates to help me pay the mortgage and bills, and I rarely buy any movies/games/toys etc until they go waaay down in price or I'll borrow a friend's.
- Learn to love scavenging coupons. The amount of money I've saved on food because of coupons has made a gigantic difference.
- Keep up with your daily exercise. Staying in front of the computer all day doing IM isn't healthy and taking a nice walk outside can really clear your head and motivate you.
- Don't sleep in too much as you might miss important opportunities or time to work on stuff. I tend to get up early and take a nap in the middle of the day instead.
- Eat healthier. Now that you can't afford Taco Bell everyday anymore, you'll be forced to start eating less expensive fatty foods and will save more money eating healthier and cheaper food like salad and chicken. I've literally lost 20 pounds since last year.
- Once you've been able to get your IM income steady and don't need to work as many hours on it, spend time with your family and friends, play video games, watch movies, and do what your heart desires. This is the reason why you wanted to do IM right?
I know there's probably more stuff to cover, but it's been a pretty awesome year so far and I hope many of you will achieve the same freedom soon!