Why Gurus Won't teach you everything to follow them (Explained Here)

17 replies
You always hear gurus saying this:

"I'll teach you everything I know so you can be as successful like me."

"I'll give you the complete blueprint that I use, and all you have to do is copy and you will get exactly the same results as I did."

"All you need to do to be successful is to learn from someone who has already done it, and MODEL exactly what they do, to get the same results as them. Learn from me!"

Heard all that or similar before?

Well, the thing is...

Do you think that is what actually happens?

Most likely what happens is, gurus will teach you everything THEY think you need to know in order to be successful. But they Won't teach you everything THEY know so that you can copy them and be successful like them.

WHY?

Because, think about this...

How many people want others to be exactly like them? Everyone wants to be unique and different. Do you think you want someone to do everything like you and be the same as you? Of course not. You want others to do it differently than you.

You will want to teach them whatever you CHOOSE to teach them, and you would do so SELECTIVELY so that they would increase their capability, but never to the extent where they can actually do it the way you do it. You just hope they figure the rest out themselves, and hopefully differently than you (with fingers crossed).

So that's why although most gurus out there tout the "I will teach you everything I do so that you can follow me and get exactly the same results as I do" will never actually do that. They would be saying that because it is what "sells" as marketing speech.

The Only way to actually know what the gurus do and be able to get their kind of results, is to OBSERVE what they do, and MODEL after them, and not just what they "teach".

This is called "Reverse Engineering".

But I want you to notice something about this as well. Those who teach "Reverse Engineering" in internet marketing also tend to point you to OTHER gurus or marketers other then themselves to reverse engineer. They would break down the webpages, marketing funnel, copywriting and techniques that OTHERS use so that you can model and copy the things that others use and which works.

But you don't see them teaching reverse engineering to their OWN webpages, marketing funnel and techniques to you.

Much of this is because of Human Nature, and the desire to be unique and different from others.

EVEN when gurus teach you exactly what they do, they would teach you something that they USED some time ago, but have already moved on to something else.

They will Never teach you exactly what THEY ARE DOING NOW that works best for them. Why give away the competitive advantage?

A martial arts master will never teach you at the level he is at. He will teach you at the level he WAS at. Only when he has transcended to the next level, then he will teach you the current level (which has become his previous level).

If this is how people teach in Kungfu, do you think it is different for IM?

What are your thoughts? Has this ENLIGHTENED You?

Those who have reached the top tend to have done two things:

They learned to SPY, and the learned to REVERSE ENGINEER. This is the real secret. You have to Do-It-Yourself.

Even the best in Kungfu also do it like this. None of the best ever just "learned and follow everything from a Mentor or Master". They always went to SPY on their own master's and other master's techniques and learn to Reverse Engineer and copy them.

Of course you are supposed to do things differently and not exactly like them, but your best chance of knowing exactly what they do which works, is through spying and reverse engineering.
#explained #follow #gurus #teach
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    What you say is true to some extent. But how did the first masters reach that point? Through hard work, practice and innovation. Not everyone copies other people. It's very important to copy from the masters when you're starting out, but eventually it's much better to develop your own style.
    Signature

    Publish your free e-book in our platform and gain e-mail subscribers. Sign up at WordWish.com.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8299757].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MindReality
      Originally Posted by joaquin112 View Post

      What you say is true to some extent. But how did the first masters reach that point? Through hard work, practice and innovation. Not everyone copies other people. It's very important to copy from the masters when you're starting out, but eventually it's much better to develop your own style.
      You got that right. The secret includes what you said, and everything else I mentioned above.
      Signature
      Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8299766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsced
    I'm no Guru, but I do actually teach EXACTLY how I make my living online. The way I see it, if people don't get success from my teachings, then they won't value anything else I send them in the future.

    It's important to note that we ARE all unique, and therefore nobody is ever going to replicate your EXACT results anyway, regardless. You would need a scientifically controlled experiment in order to replicate someone elses results exactly like them.

    One more thing: I teach people how to earn a living online by creating short "to the point" reports that solve specific problems. I teach it exactly how I implement it. But, I'm still not teaching them every way I'm making money online because I'm delivering the content via video powerpoint presentation format, which is, in of itself, ANOTHER way I make money online.

    Fact is. If you have experience on the net at making money. Chances are you're doing it in a few different ways. No point overwhelming people with ALL the ways to make money online.

    To sum up:
    I can teach how I make a living online selling short "to the point" reports. It's a strategy that works, and it works damn well. But if I'm delivering that training via video power-point presentation, then obviously that's another method I'm using also to make money online.

    No point teaching both strategies in the same training course because they are completely different.
    Signature
    I'm bigger. I'm better. I'm quicker. I'm Louder. I'm easier. I'm sexier. I'm prob'ly lying to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8299787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MindReality
      Originally Posted by retsced View Post

      I'm no Guru, but I do actually teach EXACTLY how I make my living online. The way I see it, if people don't get success from my teachings, then they won't value anything else I send them in the future.

      It's important to note that we ARE all unique, and therefore nobody is ever going to replicate your EXACT results anyway, regardless. You would need a scientifically controlled experiment in order to replicate someone elses results exactly like them.

      One more thing: I teach people how to earn a living online by creating short "to the point" reports that solve specific problems. I teach it exactly how I implement it. But, I'm still not teaching them every way I'm making money online because I'm delivering the content via video powerpoint presentation format, which is, in of itself, ANOTHER way I make money online.

      Fact is. If you have experience on the net at making money. Chances are you're doing it in a few different ways. No point overwhelming people with ALL the ways to make money online.

      To sum up:
      I can teach how I make a living online selling short "to the point" reports. It's a strategy that works, and it works damn well. But if I'm delivering that training via video power-point presentation, then obviously that's another method I'm using also to make money online.

      No point teaching both strategies in the same training course because they are completely different.
      Thank you.
      Signature
      Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8300163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    What a load of utter BS.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8300184].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MindReality
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      What a load of utter BS.
      NOoooo... This is SPARTA!
      Signature
      Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8300245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisis4ever
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301140].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jorgesil
      Here's the REAL reason why guru's don't, and CAN'T teach how to do exactly what they do.

      They don't know.

      99.9% of the most successful people in ANY area, don't know WHY they are successful to any degree. They just know they've been doing it for a long time, and they keep getting better and better.

      Sure you can REVERSE ENGINEER their exterior skills set, but you can't reverse engineer their beliefs about themselves, or expectations about the future.

      Secondly, is that TEACHING in and of itself is a skill, one that many people, certainly including gurus, absolutely SUCK at.

      So, to expect a guru to really TEACH you EVERYTHING you need to know in order to be successful, three things MUST be true:

      1) He must teach you everything he knows without holding back

      2) He must KNOW what makes him so successful

      3) He just be skilled enough as a teacher to be able to teach you what he does

      Obviously, most gurus FAIL at all three.

      Which means that chasing gurus is a LOSING GAME.

      The only way to really become highly skilled in ANYTHING is to simply keep trying ON YOUR OWN, take plenty of risks, and use your OWN experiences to find out what works, and what doesn't.

      Sure, you can get some basic ideas from gurus where to start, but that's all you should expect.

      Add into the mix that a large percentage of gurus (in any field) are gurus not at actually doing something, but convincing enough people they're good at something, and then teaching them their "system." (real estate gurus come to mind here...)

      In fact, many years ago I was at one of those "no money down" real estate seminars, and the guru teacher actually admitted that he never really started making any money in real estate until he started teaching his "methods" to others.

      Are there any IM guurs are like that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301562].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
        Originally Posted by jorgesil View Post

        Here's the REAL reason why guru's don't, and CAN'T teach how to do exactly what they do.

        They don't know.

        99.9% of the most successful people in ANY area, don't know WHY they are successful to any degree. They just know they've been doing it for a long time, and they keep getting better and better.
        I was about to say the same thing. There's some research that this is happening because people have selective memory and certain self-image.

        What happens in practice is that when somebody writes a book or course, they attribute their success to things that didn't actually matter much.

        In reality they have no idea because their journey was not properly measured and quantified. Plus they probably do some correlation/causality mistakes.

        For example you could say that "my product sold because I used NLP patterns in my sales letter" when the real reason was that your offer just simply hit the spot.

        Remember that people who succeed are always the ones who fail the most. I know that's an insanely cliche but people don't really think about it. Did 10 affiliate campaigns and 0 had +ROI - do 100 more. The thing is that you'll never hear about the failures (unless it fits the copy) so you'll think they have the magic touch.

        Previous point also illustrates why reversing gurus is not very fruitful. You don't see what they did wrong, where and why it didn't work. All you see is what worked in the end and that doesn't teach you how to repeat it with another product (MOST IMPORTANT SKILL OF ALL).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301793].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MindReality
          Originally Posted by Stephen Root View Post

          I was about to say the same thing. There's some research that this is happening because people have selective memory and certain self-image.

          What happens in practice is that when somebody writes a book or course, they attribute their success to things that didn't actually matter much.

          In reality they have no idea because their journey was not properly measured and quantified. Plus they probably do some correlation/causality mistakes.

          For example you could say that "my product sold because I used NLP patterns in my sales letter" when the real reason was that your offer just simply hit the spot.

          Remember that people who succeed are always the ones who fail the most. I know that's an insanely cliche but people don't really think about it. Did 10 affiliate campaigns and 0 had +ROI - do 100 more. The thing is that you'll never hear about the failures (unless it fits the copy) so you'll think they have the magic touch.

          Previous point also illustrates why reversing gurus is not very fruitful. You don't see what they did wrong, where and why it didn't work. All you see is what worked in the end and that doesn't teach you how to repeat it with another product (MOST IMPORTANT SKILL OF ALL).
          If you Reverse Engineer based on YOUR OWN Wisdom and Experience and not just what THEY SAY, you will have a much better chance of figuring out how it works. The more experienced and skillful one becomes, the better they are able to make their own observations and judgments about what is actually going on. That is why Spying and Reverse Engineering is still the way to go. There is a scientific method and gets reliable results. It is not just blind luck.
          Signature
          Discover The Greatest Secrets Of The Mind And Reality That Will Get You Anything You Desire, Almost Like Magic! Visit: http://www.MindReality.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301925].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
            Originally Posted by MindReality View Post

            If you Reverse Engineer based on YOUR OWN Wisdom and Experience and not just what THEY SAY, you will have a much better chance of figuring out how it works. The more experienced and skillful one becomes, the better they are able to make their own observations and judgments about what is actually going on. That is why Spying and Reverse Engineering is still the way to go. There is a scientific method and gets reliable results. It is not just blind luck.
            I don't want to sound rude but above sounds great in theory but doesn't actually work in practice. Or can you give a case study where you correctly reverse engineered one of these gurus? And of course since we're talking about scientific method I'm expecting verifiable proofs that your observations and judgements were correct.

            The truth is that there's limited amount what you can learn by observing one's marketing behavior because in this setting you'll be always observing the things your subjects wants you to see.

            It's much more fruitful exercise to "spy" and observe your target market.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8302001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Douriff
    Originally Posted by MindReality View Post

    Most likely what happens is, gurus will teach you everything THEY think you need to know in order to be successful. But they Won't teach you everything THEY know so that you can copy them and be successful like them.

    WHY?
    I've learned once from one very advanced yogi that it's impossible to transfer information if there is no bell to ring. There needs to be a bell of recognition in the mind of the recipient in order to start transmitting the message (knowledge).
    Internet gurus, like yogi gurus, or music teachers alike. In order to receive as much as possible, you already need to have foundation, a level of knowledge that will enable you to recognize what they are talking about.
    Somebody who's earning millions $ a year whilst you struggle to pay your bills, will not be able to tell you how to hop from 500$ to 10000$ a month. It's a gradual process of scaling up what you've already have, (and changing habitual thinking about money, adjusting the attitude)the process like in any other discipline.
    Sometimes occurs, that some topic seems pretty obvious and clear, which only after gaining experience turns out that you didn't have a clue what it really was. So, it's not 'guru's fault.
    This is why I don't believe that "gurus" are deliberately withdrawing information. This is just how things are. Also, only a half a way of what they are saying, you are already able to figure by yourself much more than before.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301663].message }}
  • Spying and reverse engineering? Very interesting point of view. I can see where this would be a big payoff for those who want to know the "whole truth" from one's mentor / guru.

    Thanks for the different point of view.

    LLS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8301748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    you can't teach experience only from experience ..

    there are thing experiences teaches someone they can't explain .. they can pass on very advanced know how ..that can improve or smooth out the students experience ..


    there are people who listen to everything a teacher says, read everything they write and attend every program..but never apply the know how ..only parrot the teachings ..

    and then there is the person who hears the teacher for 5 minutes and implement the idea the information to improve their life .

    who is the better student
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8303108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bhekizwe
    To an extent what you said is true.Sometimes probably its best to look at the ' patterns' from the successful people and copy those.
    Signature

    Get the real coaching you need to be massively successful in your own business: HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8305093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    No guru tells the real big secret of success. Because that is the key, and if anyone else have it, then it will become useless for the guru in some time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8307820].message }}

Trending Topics