Why Has The World Gone Susan Boyle Crazy?

46 replies
April 2009, and the world has gone crazy over Susan Boyle.
'Who is Susan Boyle?' you might ask, so read on and see what 100 million youtube hits in 2 weeks is all about...

Susan Boyle appeared on Britain's Got Talent on TV in the UK. A 47 year old from Scotland, she walked on stage with a look that has since been described by consensus as 'dowdy'.

She did a wiggle for the judges and announced in her broad Scottish accent that she wanted to be famous singer like Elaine Paige. The judges rolled their eyes and told her to start.
The opening strains of 'I Dreamed a Dream' from Les Miserables rang out, and then Susan opened her mouth to sing...

The judges dropped their jaws to the floor, and the audience rose to their feet as a musical theatre voice came out that just did not sit with the image and expectation.
Judge Amanda Holden summed it up when she said that everyone had been cynical about what they had expected.

I love that kind of moment, (I also love the show having had women hold my hand and cry next to me in their seat).

The clip has now had 100 million hits on youtube, and Susan has seen her fame spread over the water to the US, where she's found herself on TV with Patti Lupone who made the song famous originally. Elaine Paige has suggested a duet.

So why is it such a feelgood factor?
Popular media opinion seems to be that it combined a heap of emotions in a small timespan - from dismissal, to joy, to guilt, to pleasure.
Some say, similar to judge Holden that it shows a different way to go than cynicism.

While they may be true, I like to think of it as simple goal achievement, seemingly unlikely.
'Seemingly' is the key word, because although the audience on the night and on tv were expecting Susan to fail, Susan wasn't - in fact a key moment is where the judges told her that everyone was against her. You can just see Susan's quizzical look, because she could see no reason for people to have been laughing at her.

She had a voice coach, and lots of training, putting in the hours of work needed to go for a goal.
She was using the encouragement of her late mother as inspiration to enter, so although she may have been overwhelmed by the strength of reaction, she knew she could sing.

So yes, there is the principle of not judging a book by its' cover, and of not being so quick with the cynical sneers, but I think the reason the world has gone crazy for Susan Boyle is that it shows what we know deep down to be true - that hard work and taking action can lead to amazing results.

This is the kind of idea I cover in my book 'Transform Your Life in 21 Days!', which Anik Singal said he read in one sitting as he couldn't put it down!
Check it out and grab my free 8 step goal achievement formula:
Transform Your Life In 21 Days!
#boyle #crazy #susan #susan boyle #world
  • Profile picture of the author msjoyce
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[782680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
      I say 'good for her' because her life has changed now and she can grab the opportunity.

      Not sure she'll even win the competition though, because her voice is not *that* amazing on its own, it was the surprise factor.

      We'll see...
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[782755].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author procopywriter
        Originally Posted by The Great Gordino View Post

        Not sure she'll even win the competition though, because her voice is not *that* amazing on its own, it was the surprise factor.
        What!? She was incredible! And I'm a trained musician (B.M. in Performance... a near-completed masters in Composition.)

        Give credit where credit is due. There are always people who are "better." But she obviously has massive talent.
        Signature
        Joshua Aaron Stanley, The 'Spiritual' Copywriter:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783313].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
          Hi Josh,
          Don't get me wrong I wasn't putting her down - but you must admt that even over the cheers you could her some wobbly notes.

          Also in videos of her since it does tend to come across as an impersonation of someone else.

          But that's obviously her style. I have no problems with that, or with her.
          In fact it drives me up the wall that there is already a backlash against her in some media.

          When she gets her albums recorded, she'll give a lot of pleasure to a lot of people - I wish I could sing like that! lol.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783457].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author spressnell
      It's the story about appearances being deceiving. You did not expect a lot from her because she was a little "different" and yet when she opened herself to the universe, her true self came shining through and everyone was moved beyond words--even Simon. How does it get any better than that?

      Shirley
      Signature

      Hidden Ways to Wealth--clear away the “gunk”
      about money using innovative energy tools
      http://bit.ly/11atk2


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[790192].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
        well Susan Boyle's semi final was live last night.

        She got through, but boy did she hit some duff notes.

        She was obviously really nervous, and you could see in her face that the start of the song did not go well.
        However, I spotted something else, and it was critical - as she felt it go wrong, you could see her hand go to her stomach - why? Because it helped her with her technique to feel what was happening with her stomach muscles.

        In a time of panic, she relied on technique and a way to tap back into the technique.
        It's a hugely important tip in goal achievement!

        The first semi final also shows the downside of the programme - acts that should never be there.
        Some acts are clearly never going to win, and should clearly have not been put in the semis at the expense of other acts.
        They are basically cannon fodder for the show, and it's a shame, because some of them are deluded about their own talent, and are basically being used.

        Ho hum, 2nd live show tonight!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[815723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robbo
    Yeah some people have gone pretty nuts about it all...just goes to show how much we judge people before they literally open their mouth!

    Power to her I say
    Signature

    Interested in techniques to get more Free Qualified Leads to make Money in your Business that you can implement in under 20 minutes? ...without SEO or PPC? Learn them in under 10 minutes with this 12 page Blueprint...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eric.watson
    Susan Boyle is absolutely brilliant, a gem in the rough. She is a great success because her talent surpasses everyones expectations.
    Signature
    Looking for Internet Marketing Peers to collaborate with.

    This is how i make
    "$3,203 - $5,247 per week"

    If you found my post useful, please don't forget the "Thanks" button below,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ConcordeWarrior
      She is an ordinary woman coming from nowhere, ordinary looking with an immense talent, very daring, plenty of will power and a good sense of humour.

      All she needs is voice lessons from a top-scale teacher and any glitches that exist will be fixed.

      She deserves to succeed but she has to be careful not to waste the wonderful chance she has been given.

      Best of luck to Ms. Susan Boyle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783897].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1 Marketing
      I am a great Fan of Susan Boyle. I blindly acknowledge what ever she says. She's great, with a very clear mind and strong perception.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[783950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author designfuschion
    I was having this discussion with mother in last day or so.
    I'll sum up what i said to her.

    The reason everyone is obsessing with her is not becuase of her voice.
    It is becuase we're all bombarded by media of what a talented singer should look like.
    When was last time you saw a ugly pop singer?
    Magazines,net,tv,advertisements all show touched up/perfect makeup/designer clothing etc and so we're accustomed to seeing 'beauty'.
    Susan comes along in her own style,and becuase she doesn't match the images we've been taught are 'beautiful' ones ..everyone instantly placed her in the no talent category.
    The world is going crazy becuase susan boyle is a 'novelty' to most people. based on what i just wrote.

    I reckon as soon as novelty wears off..people will be saying Susan who?

    I am not being derogatory at all. Just how i see it. Susan has a great voice and from what i saw on tv last night when news replayed a snippet from her oprah interview..she'd been given makeup etc.
    I think she is beautiful inside and out.

    And i think the way the judges judged her before she started is just shallow.

    Well i hope that makes sense.
    Signature

    Wordpress Install service. PM me for rates and packages or what you need and we can work something out.


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785232].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Greg guitar
      Originally Posted by designfuschion View Post

      When was last time you saw a ugly pop singer?
      Let me think; when did I last see a picture of fat Elvis, the surgically remanufactured Michael Jackson, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith or that creep from Limp Bizquick?

      Just kidding; your point is well taken. It's pathetic and reflects poorly on us all that there is more weight given to what a singer looks like than what they sound like. Susan Boyle is cool for having the guts to get up and do her thing in the face of the kind of thoughtless judgements she must have known she would have to face, assuming she's watched any of the shows. Just the fact that she's a generation older than the other contestants would be enough to cause most people not to even try. I hope she gets a nice career out of it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[903265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gooddeal86
    susan wins the moment she stood on the stage, how many can do that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MADINAZ
    People are in awe of her because she just doesn't "look the part" of such a great singer. It would be like an average Joe 6 pack going into the NBA and scoring 100 points on Kobe while keeping him scoreless
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
      Another reason it was so popular is that it makes us 'normal' people feel ok.

      It makes us feel that we can achieve things without fitting to preconceived perameters.

      People may well 'forget' her when the shows finishes, but there will be a market for her music, and a big market too!

      This kind of market is overlooked by the media, but it's a goldmine for the music biz, big sales, and I worked at EMI in London for 6 years so know about those kind of figures!
      Go Susan!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnneE
    For anyone like me that manages to occasionally not follow the current media rage, here is the YouTube video to watch:


    I think her song choice probably hit people in addition to her voice. I didn't really get all the lyrics, but here's this dowdy woman singing "I dream the dream....."

    And people think, well if she can dream and her dream can come true, I can too.

    People need dreams and hopes to survive at all. I read some place that people can withstand anything... torture, starvation... IF they have hope that their life will get better. But if someone suffers a much more moderate discomfort but has no hope of the situation getting better, than they can die from it.

    If you think about it, this makes sense. Today many people are suffering, struggling on some level and here is THIS VOICE calling to them saying, I dream

    And people jump to their feet and applaud the concept that in the face of long odds.... A dumpy body and weigh past star age, dreams do come true!

    A long-shot also won the Kentucky derby and created a smaller sensation. The difference is the horse didn't have to have the courage to dream.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sm97os
    The pressure is on now. It will be interesting to see her next performance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnneE
    Actually I went back because I was wondering about the lyrics, which can be found here:

    I Dreamed a Dream Lyrics Susan Boyle - Lyrics Song Words

    and realized that what I viewed and posted before was not a full clip of her performance. Here is the full version.


    ironically the song is really about how life can kill your dreams, an interesting contrast to a woman who does not look like she belongs on American Idol singing a song that does not sound like it belongs on American Idol and knocking them dead. I still think it was a stroke of genius to choose that song. Too many folks out there have dreams a dying and are looking for an example to rally behind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[786770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stevie Drive
    She's an inspiration for people. We ALL want inspirations in some form or another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[816005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlwebb610
    She's just this months face. Next month the inmates running the asylum will put someone else out there and the mindless drones will go crazy over that one. Get a grip people, stop watching American Idol, Oprah and all the rest of the junk. It's all a game meant to keep the masses in check. OBEY OBEY
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[829807].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
      Originally Posted by dlwebb610 View Post

      It's all a game meant to keep the masses in check. OBEY OBEY
      Hmm, dlwebb, if you're one of the people that believe in the illuminati or other 'world governments' or 'them' or whoever, might I suggest that a self-improvement and goal achievement thread is not the place for you?
      Go and post on a conspiracy forum, you'll feel much more at home!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[830294].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dlwebb610
        Originally Posted by The Great Gordino View Post

        Hmm, dlwebb, if you're one of the people that believe in the illuminati or other 'world governments' or 'them' or whoever, might I suggest that a self-improvement and goal achievement thread is not the place for you?
        Go and post on a conspiracy forum, you'll feel much more at home!
        It's not a conspiracy if you can prove it, and yes I can. Also if you have never taken the time to investigate it for yourself how can you pass judgment on it? Oh I'm sorry "the television" told you it wasn't real. I could give you some things to check out but you're not interested. And that is truly a shame.

        Thomas Tusser:"Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man."

        Theodore Roosevelt: "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

        William O. Douglas: "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us."
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[831180].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Henderson
          Originally Posted by dlwebb610 View Post

          It's not a conspiracy if you can prove it, and yes I can. Also if you have never taken the time to investigate it for yourself how can you pass judgment on it? Oh I'm sorry "the television" told you it wasn't real. I could give you some things to check out but you're not interested. And that is truly a shame.
          Great Gordino wasn't trying to prove conspiracy theories one way or the other -- he was simply saying that the conversation shouldn't take place here.

          I agree with a few of the posters here; we're drawn to the story of Susan Boyle because she didn't fit the media's stereotype of what a stage act "should" look like. The judges didn't expect much because they too had a shallow view of her abilities, based on her appearance. But none of that mattered when she opened her mouth.

          I hope that Susan does well. Even if her fame is short-lived, I hope that she makes enough money to financially secure her future.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[831863].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author aneel90
            everybody loves a good underdog story... to see someone rise from the ground and fly into the sky is a feeling that excites people
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[831931].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
          Originally Posted by dlwebb610 View Post

          It's not a conspiracy if you can prove it, and yes I can. Also if you have never taken the time to investigate it for yourself how can you pass judgment on it? Oh I'm sorry "the television" told you it wasn't real. I could give you some things to check out but you're not interested. And that is truly a shame.
          Interesting points here - at no point in my post did I say that your beliefs were wrong, I simply said it was the wrong place to post them.

          Also, I never said I hadn't investigated them - you assumed it!
          In fact I have a friend who heavily believes it and I have done my fair of reading viewing and investigating for myself.
          As it happens I believe that yes it *could* all be true, but I just don't personally believe it.

          Here's the thing, both my friend and you believe that we are all being toyed with, that although we believe we have free will, we don't. My question to him, and to you, is that if we cannot do anything about it, nor will ever be allowed to go open enough to thr masses about it, then why not *accept* it!!

          It's a huge concept in contentment, self improvement and goal achievement - (Susan Boyle, the subject of the thread remember) did not accept her position, got up and took action, and her life changed.

          if you don't believe we can change our lives by action, that's why your clearly in the wrong thread - this is a place for positive thinkers!
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[831995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Steel
    Susan is a diamond in the ruff...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
      Susan didn't win the final last night she came 2nd.
      There were no tears, she didn't play any sympathy cards over some media suddenly deciding to turn on her.

      She thanked people for their support, congratulated the winners and said she'd had a great time.
      Now *that's* how to handle yourself!

      The winners were a street dancing team - I don't normally like acts like that, but I found it really entertaining, and the choreography genuinely creative.

      They also did not play the underdog or hard-done-by card, they simply expressed pleasure that a lot of hard work had paid off - good for them I say!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlwebb610
    Ok Gordino, point taken, however (and this will be my last post on this) even though I know that I can never change this it still angers me very much to see what is going on around me.

    I see people suffering needlessly, they're losing their jobs, their homes, everything. And for what? So a select few can have it all? I'm glad that people are still able to make money on-line but this to will change I'm afraid.

    "They" are passing laws to regulate the internet and what you can do with it. They are upset that they are not getting a bigger piece of your pie and they're coming after it.

    I am a positive thinker by the way. I positivly believe that this country (and yours) is being destroyed by design and we haven't seen anything yet in the way of hard times. Even top economist say that we are heading for a depression that will make the one in the 20's look like a walk in the park.

    I wish you the best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlwebb610
    Onslaught I appreciate your optimism, really I do. I was once like you, always hoping for best, praying that the right person could make a difference and make things better. Unfortunately Obama is not the answer, in fact he is part of the problem. Do not be fooled by his charm and charisma. He is a snake and a crook just like the rest. This may anger you and I'm sorry but it is the truth. (And that goes for anyone else who may read this.) If you can look past your anger at me I offer this as proof. Take it for what it is worth.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832803].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      dlwebb -

      suggest you read the rules - no politics. Period. End of story.

      Strictly enforced and we don't care to see some of our fun threads turned into diatribes - we have enough of those already.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      Zoo Sign: WARNING! Those who throw objects at the crocodiles will be asked to retrieve them.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833183].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A8ch
    Why Has The World Gone Susan Boyle Crazy?

    The world embraced Susan Boyle because at some level we all see ourselves in her. We all have dreams and ambitions, and may be lacking the courage, confidence or right opportunity to go after them. Her performance helped to rekindle and underscore our belief in our dreams. It gave us permission to hold steadfast to our dreams and never quit, because it could happen for us too.

    Hermas
    Signature
    http://HermasHaynes.com - Web Marketing - Simple & Direct
    http://www.OnlineListBuildingFormula.com - How to Build a Super Responsive List Fast!
    http://www.eBizInfoProducts.com - Prosper with Info Products
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlwebb610
    If it's strictly enforced then does that mean that the powers that be are going to be banned for posting this?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1 Marketing
      I must say, I was looking my dreams come true in SUSAN BOYLE's shape. She captured the moment in the history, the right moment the right place. This is what we are looking for almost all our lives...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833963].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        If it's strictly enforced then does that mean that the powers that be are going to be banned for posting this?
        The OWNER of the forum can do anything he wants - including making the rules for this section. We don't own the forum - we follow the rules.

        Political views are like a certain body part - everyone has them and no one thinks theirs stinks.:rolleyes:


        P.S. Hijacking threads isn't nice either.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        Zoo Sign: WARNING! Those who throw objects at the crocodiles will be asked to retrieve them.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[834211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author internote007
    The Susan Boyle case confirms again that we shouldn't judge people just by their looks only!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[834275].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsanchez
      I can personally say I have watched her first video several times, when noone knew who she was or her wonderful voice. I get so emotional it makes me cry and I was actually upset that she didn't win, even though I respect the decision made.

      It's not every day that one has the opportunity to listen to such a great voice along with her humility and great sense of humor. She also seems to be a kind person with a great heart.

      Dagmar
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[843289].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kesh247
        Susan boyle was great!

        Let's give credit where it's due. She's beautiful in the eyes of many.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[843320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bjallen
    All the world loves an underdog. Makes me feel good - maybe someone is cheering for me to succeed too!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[843546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scottty64
    I think she sings great but from what I have seen of her she seems a little wacky...personality wise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[922766].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ConcordeWarrior
      Whatever happened to Susan Boyle? :confused:

      We are over-flooded with Michale Jackson by the MSM while Susan Boyle has disappeared from the scene.

      I hope she is well and still working towards a musical career and did not fall in the hands of some show-biz sharks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[922943].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Great Gordino
        After coming 2nd in the final of the show, she checked into a famous rehab clinic over here, with Simon Cowell saying they should have done more to support her in the media glare.

        She is currently doing the Britain's Got Talent live tour around the country - she missed a few dates, but has done many of them.

        Once that's done, I imagine it will be into the studio to record an album, followed by a tour.

        Naturally Michael Jackson has taken over the headlines, which will be a good thing for Susan!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[923629].message }}

Trending Topics