Courage to make a decision

by Marco Moeschter 25 replies
We’ve all been in that place. You have a pretty good idea what must be done, but you can’t do it. You know it is the appropriate thing to do, but you just can’t act. You are stuck. You mull the circumstances over and over in your head, but still you don’t really do anything about it. You wait…wait for life to come along and work it out for you. Then you accept the outcome. There are times when this approach might be okay, perhaps even the best choice; but most of the time we just don’t have the courage to make a decision.


Making decisions is a key activity in taking control of your life. It’s a skill in itself. Some people seem to have the ability to do it better than others. For these people, it seems to be an innate ability. For others, well it requires development. You have to practice. You have to flex those “decision-making” muscles. You can’t afford to wait around for things to happen. You have to confront your fear...fear of failure and of missed opportunities.

So step up to the plate. Choose. Don’t be a victim of circumstance. You can do so much more knowing that you are responsible for the choices that have delivered you to where you are in life.

Do you agree?
#mind warriors #courage #decision #live without fear #make #make a decision #master life #procrastination #take action
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tobyjensen
    I finally figured out how to cure fear. Raw fear, pure unadulterated fear itself. It took me twenty-five years to find out how. Faith cures fear. That is it.

    Faith goes by many different names so it is not necessarily a religious or moral term.
    trust, hope, believe, allegiance, devoted, assurance, confidence from somewhere else besides you?, accepting it will work out, certainty, surety, reliance, specific surrender to it working out, expect it to work out – are all excellent ways to describe this feeling. It is only a feeling.

    Now, here is the trick. Just knowing this is hardly going to do anything for you. Yeah, forgiveness cures anger - so what? If you do not forgive the one who made you angry then, so what? Nothing changes. You are still angry. And that anger is tearing your priorities and effectiveness apart. You have to actually forgive them to stop being angry.

    This applies to fear a little differently. It is more of an outflow of forgiveness. With fear you have to let it in. Fear only needs one specific emotion to cure it. In fact, every negative emotion: anger, depression, anxiety, fear, shame, overwhelm, repressed, jealousy, confusion, hate, disgust, grief, conflicted, obsession, greed, gluttony, lust, ego, pride, adversity, pessimism, condescending, rejection, hurt, physical pain, stress, trauma (shock), lazy, bored, lonely, abandonment, worry

    Each negative emotion only needs the “right” positive emotion to cure it. It is the feeling that cures it not the word. The idea of the emotion means very little. The concept is only needed to guide us into the experience. It is the feeling that does it. We do not have too. We do not change the negative emotion – the feeling does. Do we heal our own anger? Not really. We turn to forgiveness which heals it for us. Maybe I am just splitting hairs here but it is an important point.

    So, fear. What needs to happen?

    Let the feeling of faith (trust, hope, assurance, etc.) flow into your fear to change it. That is it. It works for every single negative emotion. Twenty-five years of research and develop with a patent filing on this process to get it all down.

    If you do not let the feeling of faith, hope, trust flow into your fear it will not work. If you do – it does. Just like forgiveness and anger.

    There you go!
    Signature

    Toby Jensen - Master Life Coach
    Invest in what works this time.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9178109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marco Moeschter
      Originally Posted by tobyjensen View Post

      I finally figured out how to cure fear. Raw fear, pure unadulterated fear itself. It took me twenty-five years to find out how. Faith cures fear. That is it.

      Faith goes by many different names so it is not necessarily a religious or moral term.
      trust, hope, believe, allegiance, devoted, assurance, confidence from somewhere else besides you?, accepting it will work out, certainty, surety, reliance, specific surrender to it working out, expect it to work out – are all excellent ways to describe this feeling. It is only a feeling.

      Now, here is the trick. Just knowing this is hardly going to do anything for you. Yeah, forgiveness cures anger - so what? If you do not forgive the one who made you angry then, so what? Nothing changes. You are still angry. And that anger is tearing your priorities and effectiveness apart. You have to actually forgive them to stop being angry.

      This applies to fear a little differently. It is more of an outflow of forgiveness. With fear you have to let it in. Fear only needs one specific emotion to cure it. In fact, every negative emotion: anger, depression, anxiety, fear, shame, overwhelm, repressed, jealousy, confusion, hate, disgust, grief, conflicted, obsession, greed, gluttony, lust, ego, pride, adversity, pessimism, condescending, rejection, hurt, physical pain, stress, trauma (shock), lazy, bored, lonely, abandonment, worry

      Each negative emotion only needs the “right” positive emotion to cure it. It is the feeling that cures it not the word. The idea of the emotion means very little. The concept is only needed to guide us into the experience. It is the feeling that does it. We do not have too. We do not change the negative emotion – the feeling does. Do we heal our own anger? Not really. We turn to forgiveness which heals it for us. Maybe I am just splitting hairs here but it is an important point.

      So, fear. What needs to happen?

      Let the feeling of faith (trust, hope, assurance, etc.) flow into your fear to change it. That is it. It works for every single negative emotion. Twenty-five years of research and develop with a patent filing on this process to get it all down.

      If you do not let the feeling of faith, hope, trust flow into your fear it will not work. If you do – it does. Just like forgiveness and anger.

      There you go!
      Thanks for this insight about what you discovered and how to deal with fear. Quite interesting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9181585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarah23
    Originally Posted by Marco Moeschter View Post


    Making decisions is a key activity in taking control of your life. It’s a skill in itself.
    100% agree with you.
    People who cannot make decisions will always be in struggling positions.
    Decision making is very essential skill we need to have.
    Signature
    "Gathering correct information and taking actions will boom your business.
    Never be afraid of failures and success will follow you"

    By My Unsung Guru and Mentor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9182400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Marco,

    Own your power of choice. Freedom lies on the other side of this decision. Be empowered, by being in power, by choosing your life. Move forward. Move on despite being fearful, or worried, or anxious, and amazing doors will open for you.

    RB
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9182439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    You can have a good idea in your head but the problem is that most people want to take action but always fear on "What if it doesn't work out?" "What if I lose money"?

    We only have one life to live and we don't live forever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9183498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan Lindner
    Agreed. But as a people, most will always gravitate towards familiarity.

    Few have a stomach for risk. "I'll wait for tomorrow," many will say, but tomorrow never comes.

    Life is about courage. All those who are successful will always take a risk at some point or another.

    Remember, the average millionaire has failed 17 times. Risk obviously did not deter them! They pressed on! It takes a special type of person!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9187022].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marco Moeschter
      Originally Posted by Ryan Lindner View Post

      Agreed. But as a people, most will always gravitate towards familiarity.

      Few have a stomach for risk. "I'll wait for tomorrow," many will say, but tomorrow never comes.

      Life is about courage. All those who are successful will always take a risk at some point or another.

      Remember, the average millionaire has failed 17 times. Risk obviously did not deter them! They pressed on! It takes a special type of person!
      Agree with that! Successful people are risk takes. They don't wait until somebody else did something. They do it first, they try fast and fail fast and start to make it better next time!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9188146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dain Supero
    I believe that confidence comes from competence and faith, not faith alone. Nothing can take us to perfection but practice can take us close. Without practice, would you expect a person to successfully climb a mountain regardless of how much faith he has? I believe not.

    So as Marco stated, step up to the plate and go at it. Work your ass off until whatever you are attempting becomes second nature, like breathing. Then you cannot.fear it even if you try. Try to become afraid of breathing.
    Signature

    Visit http://www.bettermindbodyself.com for proven advice and techniques to elevate your mind, body, and self-image.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9187677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jferolino
    Wow, great thoughts. I agree. Sometimes the biggest obstacle that we need to overcome is actually making the decision. Once we follow through on it, it is then that we can really learn and see success. There is no progression without making a proactive decision first!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9190548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PTR
    A decision has two parts - the mental and the physical. Only when both are complete has the full 'decision' been made.

    If someone says "I've decided to give up my job and work for myself", what has changed? Absolutely nothing.

    Only when they hand in their cards or walk out the door of their former employee for the last time has a 'decision' really been made.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9192293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    Practicing courage is the best thing you can do to improve your life for the better. Making tough decisions can be uncomfortable at first, but if you do it on a regular basis it will become a habit and you will gain a huge boost in self-confidence, which can be very beneficial in helping you reach your goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9193973].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Ogden
      One tool I use to help with decision making is to use a SWOT analysis. you take a piece of paper and mark it into four boxes/sections. Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, then you list the relevant good and bad points of the decision you are struggling with.

      Laying out your thoughts on a sheet of paper where hopefully the strengths and opportunities will outweigh the weaknesses and threats, will give you the courage to make a decision.
      Signature

      David Ogden is CEO of TheInterBiz LLC which uses a suite of free marketing tools to promote his opportunity
      david@theinterbiz.com
      phone1-386-308-1956 before 10AM EST

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9193995].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marco Moeschter
        Originally Posted by David Ogden View Post

        One tool I use to help with decision making is to use a SWOT analysis. you take a piece of paper and mark it into four boxes/sections. Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, then you list the relevant good and bad points of the decision you are struggling with.

        Laying out your thoughts on a sheet of paper where hopefully the strengths and opportunities will outweigh the weaknesses and threats, will give you the courage to make a decision.
        Hey David thanks for sharing this idea/method. Sounds like a way to make decisions when you are not sure!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197228].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marco Moeschter
      Originally Posted by tvon View Post

      Practicing courage is the best thing you can do to improve your life for the better. Making tough decisions can be uncomfortable at first, but if you do it on a regular basis it will become a habit and you will gain a huge boost in self-confidence, which can be very beneficial in helping you reach your goals.
      Here we go! It doesn't matter what we do as long as we stay in our comfort zone we are not going to achieve our goals! Thanks Tvon
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cshilling22
    5 frogs were sitting on a log.

    4 decided to jump off.

    How many are left?

    Did you say 1?

    The correct answer is still 5.

    The reason: there is a difference between deciding and doing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9195540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SunnyDelight
    Great post OP. I totally agree with you 100%.

    I like to take a JUST DO IT approach, because the longer you wait to play things over in your mind the more you feed fear.

    Time is like food to fear. Just do what you need to do and the fear starves.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    most people decide to do as close to the same thing as possible ..

    the make cook something but they will use the same recipe their mother used..or look online for the best recipe.

    they will quit a horrible job then look for the same kind of job .

    if we want things to be different.. we need to change the choices we make that give us the same things we have every day .

    i have yet to decide to lose weight .. what i have done was get what i eat under control so i stopped gaining weight and restored my health .

    we have to focus on what we want and make the choices that get us their ..

    sometime though it is best to get out of the bad marriage before you get a new lover .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9197760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marco Moeschter
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      most people decide to do as close to the same thing as possible ..

      the make cook something but they will use the same recipe their mother used..or look online for the best recipe.

      they will quit a horrible job then look for the same kind of job .

      if we want things to be different.. we need to change the choices we make that give us the same things we have every day .

      i have yet to decide to lose weight .. what i have done was get what i eat under control so i stopped gaining weight and restored my health .

      we have to focus on what we want and make the choices that get us their ..

      sometime though it is best to get out of the bad marriage before you get a new lover .


      Wise words indeed! Thanks for sharing!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9202968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sean May
    “Successful people make their decisions quickly and change their minds slowly. Failures make their decisions slowly and change their minds quickly.” - Andy Andrews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9203820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tobyjensen
    Managed risk.

    High risk = great rewards for a very few select amount of people.

    The rest of us come up with a plan that has a reasonable chance of success that we are actually capable of doing. Fear tells us something. It tells us to be prepared to have a reasonable chance of success. It also helps us to remember that we are alive and want to stay that way.

    Anxiety comes from repressed desire. We want to take action but don’t. Shoving it down only compounds the desire which produces anxiety. What we need before we can act is some reasonable (whatever that means to you) chance of success or to make it through. Action cures anxiety. We achieve the action through permission and safety.

    One of the actions people do not want to take here (and pretty much anywhere else on the internet) is to post something. What is that telling us? That we need to have something (anything) of a certain quality to contribute. AND how to defend it if needed. Once you have that you go on a posting rampage. You want to tell the whole world. And off you go. You are contributing.

    Start small. It is a muscle to build just like any other.
    Signature

    Toby Jensen - Master Life Coach
    Invest in what works this time.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9206550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author C G
    I believe that we should write in detail what we want to have and the person we want to be.

    Then take all life's decisions (small or large) with that definition in mind.

    Cheers,

    C.G.
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9207225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ean Stark
    Yes its the decisions that make the man,and your life.
    Think a lot and analyse before you take those, some can change you life.


    Live your dreams,
    Ean Stark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9208287].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics