Looking for feedback/suggestions on a mobile site service I'm working on

by mmntv
6 replies
I'm building a mobile website service geared towards restaurants. Its a menu builder with online ordering.

So far I have built in multi-level menu categories/subcategories, multiple menus that can be time based or schedules e.g. breakfast/lunch/dinner/specials, multiple currency identifiers so it is not US-only plus time zone correction. I also built configurable cross selling and up selling functionality into it as well as add-on groups, etc. these can be chained together. So you can put a steak on the menu, have it prompt for how the user wants it cooked, suggest they add-on onions, shrimp, etc. as well as give them choices that they can include at no charge (sauce, included vegetables etc.).

Visitors can place orders online and they can save their orders and re-order them. So if you always order the same thing from the pizza shop every week you can just click a button.

I am debating whether to add in basic reservations. I see the market for this as pizza shops / chinese restaurants / takeout joints.

This is my first product/service that I am putting together so I am starting from scratch with building version 1, and then all the marketing and launch stuff around it.

So, one of the things I am trying to decide on is pricing and how it is sold. I imagine it would be a popular thing with folks reselling to their offline clients. I am trying to figure out what people would find most appealing. Should I do a flat rate unlimited "agency" plan? Or a tiered reseller plan? I was thinking of offering it in 20 client chunks. The alternative is to just keep it using a straight affiliate model, with one rebill rate with a % commission through Clickbank. The system is designed to be offered as a hosted service. I'm doing folders instead of subdomains, so e.g. domain.com/menus/myrestaurantname. I have the data model done in such a way that if you have clients you can create their sites and create a user account for them, they then only can access their site but you can see all of them under you.

The orders would be emailed to wherever the restaurant wants them to go or they can use a dashboard to monitor them. If they need faxing, printing, etc. they would have to use another service.

My goal is something stupid simple, and a low flat rate monthly fee. No POS integration, no % of order fees, etc. just one price going for volume.

So a few of the things I need help with or advice and suggestions:

- Pricing. How much will people pay for something like this? I know there are online ordering competitors with POS integration but they are pricey.

- Affiliate / reseller structure. How would you want to promote it? How do I price it but still leave enough margin so it is attractive for affiliates. I was thinking of something like $149/mo with a 50% commission. But what about reseller type pricing? Do I do something like 10 clients for $495/mo, 25 for $995/mo? And is $149/mo retail rate too much? Too little?

I guess what I'm struggling with with the reseller type of plan is, I know a lot of guys are just starting out trying to get in to the mobile and offline game. I don't want to set the barrier to high for them to be able to try and get a start too. But I don't know what that barrier is. What if the reseller/agency plans had an initial lower trial period, like $195 for the first month?

How about features. Is there anything in particular that would help you absolutely crush it with something like this?

I am open to any and all suggestions and advice. I need to figure out what type of landing page would work best for something like this, graphics/banners, sales copy, all of that stuff on top of just getting the software done.

Thanks for reading my big tome of a post :-) I could use any help as my mind is turning to mush thinking about all of it.
#feedback or suggestions #mobile #service #site #working
  • Profile picture of the author thedealmaker
    mmntv,

    I read your post.

    And I'd suggest you do something really simple...ask.

    Not about the pricing. But what the restaurants would want to see in a service like you're thinking about.

    The questions you are having trouble answering are only that way because you're trying to speak for the restaurant owners. You don't know what to charge because the restaurant owners haven't told you what they'd be willing to pay for it. Let the restaurant owners give you a ball park figure of what they'd be willing to pay.

    Also, how about instead, you let them speak to you about what else they want.

    Survey a bunch of restaurants and ask them what's the biggest problems they are facing when it comes to mobile websites and order placements. Ask them what are they looking for. Ask them what's important to them when choosing something like what you're thinking about offering. Ask them about what they would look to pay for something like what you're offering.

    Ask, ask, ask.

    Go over the answers and look for the responses that come up most often.

    Then you'll have a direction to start looking at for creating the right service that will solve the right problems that they are having.

    Oh, you don't have a template you can use for asking?

    No problem.

    Use this one liner that I've used successfully over and over.

    Start off with, "May I ask your opinion about something"

    Then run off the questions you have.

    Real simple.

    Have fun.
    Signature

    **Learn how to profit from mobile marketing and web 3.0 marketing in under 2 hours
    Click Here Now http://sixfiguresuccesssecrets.com/h...under-2-hours/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4786724].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author xtirpata
      Originally Posted by thedealmaker View Post

      Use this one liner that I've used successfully over and over.

      Start off with, "May I ask your opinion about something"

      Then run off the questions you have.
      What a great way to get a foot in the door!

      Their interest is piqued and, when you go back with the finished product, they feel a proprietorial interest as they contributed to your new service.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4787444].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author EvanBeck
        Originally Posted by xtirpata View Post

        What a great way to get a foot in the door!

        Their interest is piqued and, when you go back with the finished product, they feel a proprietorial interest as they contributed to your new service.
        Another approach if you have the right software and template portfolio is to just build out a sample site, show it...and then sell it. Sort of backwards from traditional sales models.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4787616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FormerWageSlave
    thedealmaker is right. you need to ask your market these things. create a landing page with a survey and drive traffic to it, maybe using postcards and a mailing list of exactly who you think would be interested in this. offer them something for free for their trouble... you'll also start a mailing list that you can hit first for beta testers once you launch and you'll be forming relationships.

    good luck!
    Signature

    grrr...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4786787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvanBeck
      Originally Posted by FormerWageSlave View Post

      thedealmaker is right. you need to ask your market these things. create a landing page with a survey and drive traffic to it, maybe using postcards and a mailing list of exactly who you think would be interested in this. offer them something for free for their trouble... you'll also start a mailing list that you can hit first for beta testers once you launch and you'll be forming relationships.

      good luck!
      Restaurants seem to be a good place to start. I am taking a similar approach and building sample sites for niches. I actually have researched and written quite a bit about the mobile market. Simple sites are best!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4787605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drdeeweb
    Hi how did you make out? Did the restauranteurs give their suggestions?
    I have a meeting with a restaurant that is interested in ability to make reservations on mobile site... any suggestions?

    Originally Posted by mmntv View Post

    I'm building a mobile website service geared towards restaurants. Its a menu builder with online ordering.

    So far I have built in multi-level menu categories/subcategories, multiple menus that can be time based or schedules e.g. breakfast/lunch/dinner/specials, multiple currency identifiers so it is not US-only plus time zone correction. I also built configurable cross selling and up selling functionality into it as well as add-on groups, etc. these can be chained together. So you can put a steak on the menu, have it prompt for how the user wants it cooked, suggest they add-on onions, shrimp, etc. as well as give them choices that they can include at no charge (sauce, included vegetables etc.).

    Visitors can place orders online and they can save their orders and re-order them. So if you always order the same thing from the pizza shop every week you can just click a button.

    I am debating whether to add in basic reservations. I see the market for this as pizza shops / chinese restaurants / takeout joints.

    This is my first product/service that I am putting together so I am starting from scratch with building version 1, and then all the marketing and launch stuff around it.

    So, one of the things I am trying to decide on is pricing and how it is sold. I imagine it would be a popular thing with folks reselling to their offline clients. I am trying to figure out what people would find most appealing. Should I do a flat rate unlimited "agency" plan? Or a tiered reseller plan? I was thinking of offering it in 20 client chunks. The alternative is to just keep it using a straight affiliate model, with one rebill rate with a % commission through Clickbank. The system is designed to be offered as a hosted service. I'm doing folders instead of subdomains, so e.g. domain.com/menus/myrestaurantname. I have the data model done in such a way that if you have clients you can create their sites and create a user account for them, they then only can access their site but you can see all of them under you.

    The orders would be emailed to wherever the restaurant wants them to go or they can use a dashboard to monitor them. If they need faxing, printing, etc. they would have to use another service.

    My goal is something stupid simple, and a low flat rate monthly fee. No POS integration, no % of order fees, etc. just one price going for volume.

    So a few of the things I need help with or advice and suggestions:

    - Pricing. How much will people pay for something like this? I know there are online ordering competitors with POS integration but they are pricey.

    - Affiliate / reseller structure. How would you want to promote it? How do I price it but still leave enough margin so it is attractive for affiliates. I was thinking of something like $149/mo with a 50% commission. But what about reseller type pricing? Do I do something like 10 clients for $495/mo, 25 for $995/mo? And is $149/mo retail rate too much? Too little?

    I guess what I'm struggling with with the reseller type of plan is, I know a lot of guys are just starting out trying to get in to the mobile and offline game. I don't want to set the barrier to high for them to be able to try and get a start too. But I don't know what that barrier is. What if the reseller/agency plans had an initial lower trial period, like $195 for the first month?

    How about features. Is there anything in particular that would help you absolutely crush it with something like this?

    I am open to any and all suggestions and advice. I need to figure out what type of landing page would work best for something like this, graphics/banners, sales copy, all of that stuff on top of just getting the software done.

    Thanks for reading my big tome of a post :-) I could use any help as my mind is turning to mush thinking about all of it.
    Signature

    **How to Make $3,000 a Month With FREE Traffic**


    =>CLICK HERE NOW<=

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5049968].message }}

Trending Topics