I noticed threads on "How To Sell in Small Towns". I live in "rural" Oregon where the pop of small towns goes from 800 to 20,000.
To sell Mobile Sites here's what I do;
1) Create a "Mobile Town Directory" Site - I create the site on a Mobile Site I make for the Town - for ex: I noticed a post on another thread where someone was asking the same question about selling in "small" towns. He is in "Council Bluffs Iowa".
So....I checked my Domain Checker (www.BustaName.com) and found that www.CouncilBluffsMobile.com is available this morn (Jan 2, 2012)
2) I Google and find 1 or 2 local businesses that have regular websites...and make a 1-Page Sample site using Quentin's Program.
(Note: If there are NO "regular" websites in the town...I create 1 or 2, ONE Page Mobile Sites for existing businesses (Usually a family restaurant and Pizza Place) ....based on me visiting the biznesses and taking a few photos and picking up their Menus (Although, I've only found ONE small town where there were NO biznesses that had a regular website)
So....I'd set up a Sample Mobile Site called...
www.CouncilBluffsMobile.com and Googling "restaurants in council bluffs, ia" brings up www.BoxerBBQ.com in the #1 spot and below that is www.PizzaKing1101.com
(NOTE: If CouncilBluffsMobile.com is taken, I try CouncilBluffsMobi.com
If that's taken I try "CouncilBluffsMobiDirectory.com"
So....I make a 1 page site for EACH and....I give each site a SUB-Domain on my Hostgator Server (www.BoxerBBQ.CouncilBluffsMobile.com and www.PizzaKing1101.CouncilBluffsMobile.com)
3a) I then plunk the "Mobile Site" I just created (www.BoxerBBQ(dot)CouncilBluffsMobile(dot)com)....i nto a "Simulator" (I use Quentin's) and make a copy using "SnagIt". I then "Crop" the SnagIt image so ONLY the Mobile Phone is in the image and make a PDF of the image.
3b) I then plunk their "Regular Site" into the Simulator and make a copy with SnagIt and a PDF of it.
I then PRINT OUT THE 2 IMAGES onto a sheet...the "regular site" above the newly created Mobile Site.
ASIDE: I remembered the Ad for some product (I forgot the product but remember the Ad)...."This is your Brain!....This is your Brain on "X"!
Note: I might offend someone here BUT....the following tickles my "funny Bone" every time I see it on a certain Blog;
It's a simulated Ad for Viagra;
"This is your "PeePee"!....This is your PeePee on Drugs!" (No pictures, just the words.
So...I walk into each business....find the owner and show him my Sample Sheet with the 2 Mobile Sites, and say; "Mr Owner...this is what your website looks like on a Mobile Phone! (Pointing to the Top image) This is your website when It's been made, "Mobile-Ready" (pointing to bottom image)
4) I then show him the front page of my "Town Mobile Site Directory" and explain that I'm ONLY putting ONE business of each Category into the site and HE can be the ONLY "X" (In the case of the above Sample, Boxer BBQ)....I'd say that HE can be the ONLY "BBQ" restaurant in the Category of "BBQ Restaurant". Same with "Pizza King 1101"....they'd be the ONLY Pizza Place in the "Pizza" category.
NOTE: Offering an EXCLUSIVE in their Categories provides "Motivation" and appeals to their "Competitve" spirit. This also provides me with "Sales Power"! If they don't want to participate...I tell them I'm sorry BUT, I've GOT to go see their competitor. It's MY JOB to FILL the Categories in the Mobile Site Directory!
5) Now....whether or not these first 2 biz owners choose to join or not...I USE THEIR SAMPLE MOBILE SITES TO PROVIDE EXAMPLES TO OTHER PROSPECTS!
For ex: I go into a Mexican restaurant....show the owner the first page of the "Town Mobile Directory".....then show him the 2 Mobile Sites I've made and what their sites looked like on a Mobile Phone BEFORE...and what they look like now. I then show my prices and invite him to be the ONLY "Mexican" restaurant in his category.
I collect a Deposit and tell him I'll collect the balance when I return with his Mobile Site.
NOTE: When I show other prospects the 2 Sites I've made (Let's assume they did NOT want to participate) I do NOT mention that they chose NOT to participate (It's NONE of the prospect's bizness and....if I choose to include some biznesses in MY Directory for Freebies...I can! It's MY bizness!)
So....when I've blanked out with the first 2 biznesses...after I've sold a few Categories...I return to the first 2 and give them ONE MORE CHANCE to join. And, even if this doesn't get them to join....I then go to their competition!
So....after I've filled most of the categories in the "Restaurant" category, I then go to "Service" businesses (plumbers, roofers, pest control etc)... "Professional" businesses (accountants, insurance offices, travel agencies, etc....then "Retail" (clothing, shoes, hardware, bicycle, New Cars, Used Cars)...then "Medical/Dental".
My method is based on 2 "Basic Psychological Premises";
1) "NOBODY wants to be FIRST!" If I were to show an "empty" website, I'd have a hard time persuading the FIRST biz owner to join. BUT, when I show 2 biznesses ALREADY PARTICIPATING (whether they paid or not)...potential clients think, "Hey! If these 2 are in, they've "tested the temperature of the water"...so I can jump in without "getting Burned"!
2) "The GREED Factor" - whenever I've created a program that has a "Limited" number of participants or...only ONE in each category....I appeal to their Competitiveness and...."Stimulate Their GREED Glands!"
So....thanks for reading and I hope you have a GREAT New Year.
Don Alm in "small town America"