11 replies
Top QR code Fails

The Top QR Code Fails of 2011

I like the image rotator, any ideas how it is created ?
#code #fails #qr code #qr code fails. #top
  • Profile picture of the author Quentin
    So this is a bit deceptive in that it was not the QR Code that failed but the marketing behind it or bad execution.

    When doing QR Codes, especially if you are altering their original format, then you should do some testing.

    Secondly you should make sure they go to some mobile friendly content, a point a lot of advertising agencies seem to overlook.

    Quentin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5361619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harry John
    Let's be honest about QR codes. They are a gimicky add-on to a marketing campaign. QR codes are not going to make or break the success or plow new ground in consumer engagement.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5422753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rlhurst
      Originally Posted by Harry John View Post

      Let's be honest about QR codes. They are a gimicky add-on to a marketing campaign. QR codes are not going to make or break the success or plow new ground in consumer engagement.
      I disagree with this part of the statement. I've seen it firsthand "plow new ground".... how extensive it will become is yet to be seen, but to make a blanket statement like that is premature IMO.
      Signature
      I do voice over work... here's a SAMPLE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5424744].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
      Originally Posted by Harry John View Post

      Let's be honest about QR codes. They are a gimicky add-on to a marketing campaign. QR codes are not going to make or break the success or plow new ground in consumer engagement.
      You hit the nail right on the head, QR codes are a waste of time and money for your clients, maybe if you're some big company you can try to work with it as a gadget, but as an investment; Your clients is going to lose money on QR campaigns for sure.... I keep saying the general public isn't interested in scanning QR codes, they can't be bothered to do so... even if you offer them something for free.

      QR codes are almost useless, you're better of using SMS and there is nothing you can't do with SMS that you can do with QR codes. and the big up is.,,, everybody knows how to text.. nothing to install nothing to learn and nothing to scan.. why reinvent the wheel?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5443760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MdJones
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5442748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HypeText
      Originally Posted by MdJones View Post

      QR code fail! I witness it all the time. Either the link does not work, placement is bad where it is unnoticeable or unscannable, and also linking to a non mobile friendly landing page. People just need education, and also have confidence in the QR code, place it where it will be seen, or you will not see much success from it at all.
      QR Codes themselves aren't what fails...It's the implementation that fails.

      I have said it before and will keep saying it...

      QR Codes are a tool in the Marketing Tool Box. Unless one knows how to effectively use that tool is key to a QR Campaign's success.
      Signature
      (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
      Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
      $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5443841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YellowGreenMedia
    You keep forgetting that the general public doesn't understand your tool, so it doesn't matter how you implement it, you always lose...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5443894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HypeText
      Originally Posted by YellowGreenMedia View Post

      You keep forgetting that the general public doesn't understand your tool, so it doesn't matter how you implement it, you always lose...
      Everything is new at some point....I remember when the Internet was new and people had the same attitude towards Websites.

      The fact of the matter is that there are far more examples of successful implementation than there are of Failures.

      Some people choose to adopt implementation early, and some choose not to. It's a personal preference.
      Signature
      (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
      Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
      $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5443992].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by HypeText View Post

        Everything is new at some point....I remember when the Internet was new and people had the same attitude towards Websites.

        The fact of the matter is that there are far more examples of successful implementation than there are of Failures.

        Some people choose to adopt implementation early, and some choose not to. It's a personal preference.
        What you also need to understand is QR codes have been around for years already. It's not as though they are a new thing. I first saw them on my Blackberry phone that I purchased over two years ago. It came with a QR reader for adding people to your Blackberry Messenger contact list.

        The fact is QR codes have NOT taken off like they were expected to. Have a look at Japan and you will see the HUGE difference -- they have QR codes everywhere.

        I remember about a year ago when Google starting sending out free QR stickers to thousands of businesses to put up in their shop windows. It didn't go as well as expected because none of the business owners had seen the technology before and none of them saw the value in placing the sticker in their shop window.

        Google have since gone very cold on QR codes. I think that's a fairly good indication of where they might be going.

        Fact: People are just not that excited enough about QR codes that they want to bother learning about the technology.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5453413].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Nanaswhimsy
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post


          Google have since gone very cold on QR codes. I think that's a fairly good indication of where they might be going.

          Fact: People are just not that excited enough about QR codes that they want to bother learning about the technology.
          The problems that I am hearing from people who know about QR Codes is that they are leary of scanning codes because of their is no recognition of what they are scanning when they are plain black and white and there are so many scammers/hackers out there that are now creating QR codes to send people to websites or install software on peoples phones.

          Solution: Customized QR Codes to give recognition of the companies code, make it more artistic, branded with company colors, etc. gives people more security that they know what they are scanning and they will be more likely to scan.

          Even the USPS is offering bulk mail discounts to companies that include QR Codes on their mailing pieces (just don't do what one company did and put it where the stamp goes!)

          I don't see QR Codes going away, there was a 1200% increase last year in the use of them.
          http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/0...-1200-percent/
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5467987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ttrfanatic
    Why dismiss a technology because the general public doesn't understand it? Sooner or later the general public will be educated on QR codes. I don't see this going away anytime soon. It seems like I keep seeing QR codes in more and more places.

    And I agree that the QR code isn't the problem, it's how the QR code is being used in marketing. Just my 2 cents...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5443938].message }}

Trending Topics