What do you guys think of Proximity Marketing

9 replies
From what I understand there are three versions. BlueTooth, WiFi and both WiFi and BlueTooth.

I need to know pro and cons. If you have experience with it, what are the results. And whats the average price range.

Thanks Warriors!
#guys #marketing #proximity
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    I was looking into it last fall.
    I found the cost to be high... around $5k if I remember right.
    It was with Blue something or other

    But that was retail cost... I think the commissions were about half that.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015483].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Meyowza
      Just got off the phone with a company that is interested in recruiting my company as a sales rep of their services.

      Looks to be $700+ Setup then $400+ month, depending on needs.
      Commission is 10% of setup and 10% recurring for the life time of the account.

      Getting info emailed to me later today.


      Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

      I was looking into it last fall.
      I found the cost to be high... around $5k if I remember right.
      It was with Blue something or other

      But that was retail cost... I think the commissions were about half that.
      Signature

      CEO/Founder of MeYowza Inc. Get your FREE Mobile Landing Page & QR Code Generator w/ Analytics HERE.

      SYSTEM I USE TO GENERATE LEADS FOR MY BUSINESS...MUST WATCH VIDEO HERE.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sharp
    It sucks and pisses off everyone but tourists.
    ...so if you are talking about a bar at the beach/airport = WIN. If you're talking about a restaurant in the heart of a town = EPIC FAIL.

    The more people do it, the more it'll piss people off too. It's like 'proximity fences around the competition'. Is there anything that sounds better, but could be worse in practice? If I drive down the road and pass Dominos, and Papa Murphy's sends me a text as a result, all that will happen is that I'll un-subscribe from anything related to Papa Murphy's by the second day. The 'GTFO' rates for firms with such 'competition crushers' are, shall we say, 'higher'.

    Bottomline = This sh*t is easy to sell, but it's really, really, stupid to sell it unless their clients are all 'first time' clients (very traveler-centric locations) as they'll have a bad experience. ...and never do, or do business with, folks hawking the 'stake out your competition' nonsense (again, the exception being for very traveler-centric locations).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6016043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I tried this a year or two ago and moved right on. It's a waste of time. People don't want these messages on their phones and the large majority just reject them nowadays.

    There are much better ways to spend your time. The only way it is effective is if you have a stand set up in a shopping center that tells people to enable their bluetooth to receive xyz. This way they are expecting the message.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6017558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beeswarn
    It sucks for tourists too. I wish it didn't because I have a lot of tourism clients, but it does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6017573].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Meyowza
      Ok from what I understand. There is a wifi signal emitted. When someone comes close to the signal they are notified with access to that portal. Once the person accepts the portal, they are not prompt to do so again for that particular portal.

      Once they accept access to the portal, then thats when the data is transmitted to the phone. Could be text to video. What ever you want.

      I can see SMS integrating well with this.

      Ideally this would work well for a mall where they are prompt one time to get multiple offers from the stores inside.

      For individual restaurants and bars, it would be smart to label the portal name as "FREE BEER_Click ACCEPT" Instead of Bob's Pub.

      Of course you would need to have print collateral notifying everyone that they are in a WiFi Zone and to turn on their wifi to get deals.

      I got prices from one company for units between $175-$215 and monthly cost of $22 to $32 with unlimited traffic. These unit also do bluetooth at the same time, but I dont seeing that being popular in the states.

      Does anyone know where I can find video of this technology working and how intrusive it is?
      Signature

      CEO/Founder of MeYowza Inc. Get your FREE Mobile Landing Page & QR Code Generator w/ Analytics HERE.

      SYSTEM I USE TO GENERATE LEADS FOR MY BUSINESS...MUST WATCH VIDEO HERE.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6024416].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Meyowza View Post

        Ok from what I understand. There is a wifi signal emitted. When someone comes close to the signal they are notified with access to that portal. Once the person accepts the portal, they are not prompt to do so again for that particular portal.

        Once they accept access to the portal, then thats when the data is transmitted to the phone. Could be text to video. What ever you want.

        I can see SMS integrating well with this.

        Ideally this would work well for a mall where they are prompt one time to get multiple offers from the stores inside.

        For individual restaurants and bars, it would be smart to label the portal name as "FREE BEER_Click ACCEPT" Instead of Bob's Pub.

        Of course you would need to have print collateral notifying everyone that they are in a WiFi Zone and to turn on their wifi to get deals.

        I got prices from one company for units between $175-$215 and monthly cost of $22 to $32 with unlimited traffic. These unit also do bluetooth at the same time, but I dont seeing that being popular in the states.

        Does anyone know where I can find video of this technology working and how intrusive it is?
        As I said, this would only work ok if you had the signs notifying people to turn on their bluetooth or wifi. Even then you will find a lot of people nowadays are skeptical about downloading or giving access to their phone because of viruses and security threats.

        My take on the whole thing, if you have to put up print material to get people to use it then why not just put your message straight on to the print material rather than creating this extra step for people.

        It's just unnecessary and quite outdated I feel.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6025298].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Meyowza
          Good point about putting print material out telling them to turn on their wifi, then might as well give them the offer at that moment.

          I guess SMS is different because you already have their attention using your product or service.

          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          As I said, this would only work ok if you had the signs notifying people to turn on their bluetooth or wifi. Even then you will find a lot of people nowadays are skeptical about downloading or giving access to their phone because of viruses and security threats.

          My take on the whole thing, if you have to put up print material to get people to use it then why not just put your message straight on to the print material rather than creating this extra step for people.

          It's just unnecessary and quite outdated I feel.
          Signature

          CEO/Founder of MeYowza Inc. Get your FREE Mobile Landing Page & QR Code Generator w/ Analytics HERE.

          SYSTEM I USE TO GENERATE LEADS FOR MY BUSINESS...MUST WATCH VIDEO HERE.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6028872].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HypeText
            Real simple, it pisses people off, it's intrusive, and since there is no "Opt In" process to speak of it is most often considered "Spammy". It is also not compatible with all phones as not everyone has bluetooth turned on and some phones dont even have WIFI

            I would recommend steering clear.
            Signature
            (916) 520-HYPE (4973)
            Local & Mobile Marketing Solutions
            $0 Setup & $99/mnth Private Label Reseller Accts
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6030546].message }}

Trending Topics