Deciding What I was Going to make
1) I decided to make a game that had very simple controls.
2) I am just a pixel artist but I know majority of gamers like vector art. So I brought artwork from an artist who is indie developer friendly. I went for a non- serious cartoony character.
3) I made the game easy enough so that a gamer can play it without instructions.
1) After I finished the game I didn't release it to the appstore , that would equal a fail. I played the game and took screenshots about 8 of them and narrowed it down to 3 . The screenshots I picked had to look funny or be humorous for the simple type of game it was.
2) I posted screenshots of the game coming on facebook groups about 10-12 of them that I was on. I did this for 2 days in a row 2x a day. Also I tweeted the game is coming.
3) I also made a video of the game did the same thing posted it on facebook groups and twitter multiple times a day.
4) Set up android ADs with the little marketing budget I had $80 . This would give me a small boost in downloads.
1) Launched my app , posted on facebook and twitter that its finally arrived . Also launched the small AD campaign. And here comes the numbers
Day 1 250
Day 2 150
Day 3 150
Day 4 80 Ran out of money in banner AD campaign had to find more
Day 5 89
Day 6 190
Day 7 140 Got featured in top new free in Adventure category , lower banner AD campaign
Day 8 130 Started getting good organic traffic from Top new free section so cut down to much less banner AD campaign
Day 9 103 Finally hit #49 after going well over 1,000 installs
I started the game with 2 modes of play. In those 8 days I updated the game 2 times to bring the total modes of play to 4 modes of play. This extended playing time and kept my game installed on people's devices. Real content updates are critical to kept users playing your game especially if its a simple one. Just add different themes or 1 new badguy that stands out makes huge difference.
And I am still fighting to get higher on the list. I poured everything I could muster up into getting to this spot but some bigger companies came it around day 5 and gave me a heavy fight. Hopefully I can reach higher but for last couple of days its been a battle to stay in the top 50. Any questions ask away.