by ThomM
13 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Les Claypool and Primus rewrote the music to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. All I can say is BRILLIANT!
Watch: _Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory_ Gets Full Primus Treatment : Blogs : Relix
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I loved Willy Wonka ... unfortunately, due to bandwidth, not able to watch the video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9757304].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I loved Willy Wonka ... unfortunately, due to bandwidth, not able to watch the video.
      That's to bad. The way Claypool syncs the songs he wrote into the movie is great. He adds a new twist to an already twisted movie.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9757473].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        That's to bad. The way Claypool syncs the songs he wrote into the movie is great. He adds a new twist to an already twisted movie.
        Well, willy wonka was about a weird recluse that was eccentric and I guess kind of a genius. The LATER one, from Tim Burton was to the old TEN TIMES what the old was to reality, and FAR more twisted. I'm shocked they even made it. I agree with gene wilders assessment:

        Gene Wilder Says Willy Wonka Remake Was An Insult

        Gene said:

        "I think it's an insult. It's probably Warner Bros.' insult," Wilder said of the 2005 "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" film. "Johnny Depp, I think, is a good actor, but I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."
        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9761925].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          Well, willy wonka was about a weird recluse that was eccentric and I guess kind of a genius. The LATER one, from Tim Burton was to the old TEN TIMES what the old was to reality, and FAR more twisted. I'm shocked they even made it. I agree with gene wilders assessment:

          Gene Wilder Says Willy Wonka Remake Was An Insult

          Gene said:



          Steve
          I've seen both and got to agree with Wilder
          The one I posted is the original with new music. All the original dialog is still in it. The way Claypool wrote the lyrics syncs up perfectly with the actors.
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762192].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

            I've seen both and got to agree with Wilder
            The one I posted is the original with new music. All the original dialog is still in it. The way Claypool wrote the lyrics syncs up perfectly with the actors.
            YEAH, but your talking about "twisted" just made me feel the difference HAD to be noted. I would have done the original a little differently. Maybe change the oompa loompas, a bit, etc... But I think a lot of it was nice, as a story with a nice moral and a nice ending, etc...

            As for the new music you talk about? Personally, I like the original music FAR better!

            Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762318].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ThomM
              Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

              YEAH, but your talking about "twisted" just made me feel the difference HAD to be noted. I would have done the original a little differently. Maybe change the oompa loompas, a bit, etc... But I think a lot of it was nice, as a story with a nice moral and a nice ending, etc...

              As for the new music you talk about? Personally, I like the original music FAR better!

              Steve
              I've always thought the movie was twisted
              I can understand liking the old music better. I think it helps to be a Primus fan to like this version.
              Signature

              Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
              Getting old ain't for sissy's
              As you are I was, as I am you will be
              You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762336].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author seasoned
                Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

                I've always thought the movie was twisted
                It IS, but only to support the plot and make the movie. In the newer version, it seemed like the guy was kind of demented, fighting back at his fathers loathing of candy. The show where it caught fire and all? His WEIRD getup? The really weird context of the oompaloompas? I wouldn't blame a kid for getting nightmares!

                Steve
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762393].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
            Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

            I've seen both and got to agree with Wilder
            The one I posted is the original with new music. All the original dialog is still in it. The way Claypool wrote the lyrics syncs up perfectly with the actors.
            Interestingly, the author of the book - who wrote the original screenplay (not the finished movie) was very unhappy with the movie and the casting. Apparently he was so unhappy that he would not allow his other books to be made into movies for quite some time.

            There are some interesting comparisons to the 2 versions out there. The general consensus is the Depp version was closer to the book than the Wilder version. But since I was brought up on the first one I still like it better.
            Signature

            Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762360].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author seasoned
              Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

              Interestingly, the author of the book - who wrote the original screenplay (not the finished movie) was very unhappy with the movie and the casting. Apparently he was so unhappy that he would not allow his other books to be made into movies for quite some time.

              There are some interesting comparisons to the 2 versions out there. The general consensus is the Depp version was closer to the book than the Wilder version. But since I was brought up on the first one I still like it better.
              OK, then the BOOK is really off the wall. SOMETIMES people see something in books and change them to be better accepted.

              I wonder how he felt about Matilda. Matilda had some WEIRD casting! Take Paul Reubens for example! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!? INSANE! But he did the part PERFECTLY! In short, though I might have cast it differently, I thought it was BEAUTIFULLY done. I wonder how close THAT was to the book!

              It WAS dark, but that was part of the plot, and offset by so much light in contrast that you might even forget the dark.

              BTW it was a movie about an unlucky little girl with her world collapsing around her. Her parents are HORRIBLE, and try to encourage her to fail at everything. She is put into a horrible school with a micromanaging principle that loves to bully all the kids. And her parents are about to be sent up the river for fraud. But she lucks out in that her teacher is a great person, she loves and can get books, and she develops a power that she uses to turn everything around.

              I LOVE pictures like that. If you compare it to Harry Potter, you see a lot of similarities. She is encouraged to fail, treated as an outcast by her guardians, and mistreated by one that feels they should run the school. BOTH have the school in the center of the plot. BOTH have powers they use to destroy the one trying to gain control of the school. BOTH help their friends and are loved by the TRUE leader of the school, who becomes their defacto guardian.

              Steve
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rondo
    That's cool.

    I went to a Primus gig in Sydney in 1994. Can't believe it was 20 years ago!


    Andrew
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9757490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Wow - I like that. Thanks for the Share, Thom.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9757951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Wow. I've just watched the first 10 minutes of it and am blown away so far. I love the theme over the opening credits, and what he did with "The Candyman" song.

    I'll definitely give the whole thing a view when I've got more time.

    Speaking of time, methinks Mr Claypool has w-a-a-a-a-y too much of it on his hands these days to have come up with that.
    Signature
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    That was cool. Interesting and innovative twists. That movie scared me as a child, when that little girl gets inflated into a giant berry. The punishment seemed disproportionate to her crimes. It still scares me when I see it. Anyway, I definitely prefer the 70s version over the more recent one though the newer one was entertaining enough.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9762344].message }}

Trending Topics