Warrior Forum Can Be Very Generic at Times

20 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I have been seeing way too many ridiculous threads started in the marketing section. When i say this, I mean simple things such as "How to start a blog?" things that you can do a simple Google search for.

I feel like people aren't taking the time to just read the forum or searching for it before posting brain-dead questions. It makes this forum look very unprofessional in a way. Anyone else been noticing this?

2 years ago, this wasn't the case. I wonder if it has anything to do with the younger generation or just the straight fact that people are becoming lazy.
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Theduke2011 View Post

    Anyone else been noticing this?
    Yes, many have commented on it, here. Some in Off Topic, some in the Main Marketing Forum, some in the Suggestions Forum, but many people agree with your observation, certainly.

    Overall traffic is terribly low. Many former long-standing, knowledgeable, respected members have left. That's shifted the "average discussions" downwards, in "overall quality terms". (Loosely defined, and a little vague, admittedly, but I think few of us would seriously dispute it?).

    Originally Posted by Theduke2011 View Post

    I wonder if it has anything to do with the younger generation
    I don't know about people's ages, but I think it's undeniably the "Freelancer generation" (if indeed that's a generation at all) that accounts for most of it? Things change.

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Originally Posted by Theduke2011 View Post

    I have been seeing way too many ridiculous threads started in the marketing section. When i say this, I mean simple things such as "How to start a blog?" things that you can do a simple Google search for.

    I feel like people aren't taking the time to just read the forum or searching for it before posting brain-dead questions. It makes this forum look very unprofessional in a way. Anyone else been noticing this?

    2 years ago, this wasn't the case. I wonder if it has anything to do with the younger generation or just the straight fact that people are becoming lazy.
    With search engines and how-to lessons on video-sharing sites, why does anyone need to ask such basic stuff any more?
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

      why does anyone need to ask such basic stuff any more?
      I think there's perhaps an element of laziness in people asking that "at all", as you're looking at it. It's just become more noticeable, here, as a "proportion of overall stuff asked", because of the gradual, apparently inexorable change in overall membership demographics, I think.


      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Theduke2011
    Forums just used to be so much more valuable. Look at Digital Point for instance, they went to crap because of the freelancers. I see Warrior going in the same direction.
    Signature
    Classified Posting & Ad Management Expert
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Theduke2011 View Post

    I have been seeing way too many ridiculous threads started in the marketing section. When i say this, I mean simple things such as "How to start a blog?" things that you can do a simple Google search for.
    It's forum sig spamming, the SEO forum has been getting hammered with the crap.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822839].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      the SEO forum has been getting hammered with the crap.
      I don't even look in there, any more. At all. Losing the services of Mike and yourself was truly a death-knell to that department. It must be totally unmanageable, now?

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9822912].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I don't even look in there, any more. At all. Losing the services of Mike and yourself was truly a death-knell to that department
        .
        Nah Google had more to do with the decline of the SEO forum than the change of any mods. Besides a handful of people posting now most of them left when the penguin updates slapped them to destruction and others when spam tools were disallowed for sale here.

        Thats what happens when you have a forum that depends on cheap push button link spam. Google hits them and they have nothing to talk about. Half of the people in there now don't know enough to know it no longer works.

        In fact that affected the entire board if you ask me. Like it or hate it SEO and google was a major source of traffic for IMers and losing the cheap fast push button old techniques took a toll. I stopped seeing most regulars in the SEO section over a year ago.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9823419].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

          Nah Google had more to do with the decline of the SEO forum than the change of any mods.
          Wrong.

          There's no moderation on the SEO forum, it's only a few folks like yourself reporting problem threads while the mods sit in the break room (mod forum) doing nothing more than hitting their browser refresh button waiting for other forum members to do the work.

          A real mod would have cleaned up junk threads on their own but that's not going to happen because there's no mods that are dedicated to sub-forums let alone any mod that knows SEO & can spot fake comments (ex: link below is full of junk).

          Case in point, a junk 3rd world thread.

          Hilarious how you blame Google for the demise of a forum. Take the blinders off & have a look around.

          WF admin is running this place into the ground allowing all those junk threads to confuse legit forum members that are new to a subject/niche (ex: SEO).

          I try to help answer SEO questions but I'm getting tired of wading through the crap threads looking for legit forum members.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9824968].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
            Banned
            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            WF admin is running this place into the ground allowing all those junk threads to confuse legit forum members that are new to a subject/niche (ex: SEO).
            I'm very sorry to say that this is 100% right. (And doesn't apply only to the SEO forum.)

            .
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9825594].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichBeck
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      It's forum sig spamming, the SEO forum has been getting hammered with the crap.
      DING-DING-DING!!!

      We HAVE a winner!

      When you look at it, many of these are "newer" accounts.... One could dismiss these as "newbie" questions....

      BUT, the vast majority of these could be answered by simply searching... and discovering dozens of posts.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9824771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    It seems the "make money with no education or effort" idea is really engrained. I see a lot of those "vague" questions being asked because the person has no clue how to start or run a business whatsoever and mistakenly thinks because it's online that business knowledge isn't needed.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9823033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
      I quit most of the other forums other than here because it is mostly boring. As Alexa mentioned, a lot of the formerly knowledgeable members aren't around any longer. So glad I joined when I did, it was a real education from many experts and it wasn't hard at all to pick out the people who actually knew what they were saying, and those who did not.

      Perhaps given some time, things will turn around a bit, but probably not worth betting any cash on that.

      If the new owners want to get the place rocking again, they might have to hire some experts to do a lot of posting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9823064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    I'm not sure of the who, when,why the quality of the forum went to crap but i'm certain it started before the takeover...
    Take the Main Forum for example, some of the questions are so dumb i would expect them to be posted by a 5 year old (Maybe i;m doing 5 year olds a disservice).
    Like someone mentioned, there is very little you can't find on Youtube Or Google these days, there is no need to come here and ask "How do i change name servers" there are probably dozens of detailed videos covering that...

    As to the reason:
    Are people becoming more lazy - Undoubtedly Yes
    Is the low entry level a factor - Definitely Yes
    Is it Admins fault - Can't really see how we could blame them, intelligence is not a prerequisite for joining.
    Are the people asking stupid questions being enabled- Again Yes, no matter how trivial or nonsensical a question there are always people running to answer (Sig Whores)

    IMO it's all related to the fact that this is a forum about making money and as we know some people will lie, cheat steal to get ahead.
    Look at other forums not in the MMO niche where no one has anything to gain, you post in the wrong forum, ask a question that's been asked 100 times before etc. The members will waste no time setting you straight...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9823119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Yes, just joined, "Deviant Art" their forums do have a lot of junk posts, but their Art niche still has intelligent people asking good questions!

      About the best forum l have joined, in relation to low junk posts is Graphicriver.

      Their forums only have a few niches, and the occasional dumb question will be asked, but overall it is pretty professional.

      It still amazes me when someone asks, why was this rejected, there is no reason.

      With blurry graphics, hovering elements and shadows that don't match the product, l though that it was pretty obvious!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9823238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    Originally Posted by Theduke2011 View Post

    I have been seeing way too many ridiculous threads started in the marketing section. When i say this, I mean simple things such as "How to start a blog?" things that you can do a simple Google search for.

    I feel like people aren't taking the time to just read the forum or searching for it before posting brain-dead questions. It makes this forum look very unprofessional in a way. Anyone else been noticing this?

    2 years ago, this wasn't the case. I wonder if it has anything to do with the younger generation or just the straight fact that people are becoming lazy.
    I disagree. I returned back in 2011 and even then, bunches of posts were, How do I do xyz?

    It allows me to showcase my knowledge so I'm happy to answer the questions.

    A data point.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9824146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    Yes I think the laziness factor is definately at play here. Why else would someone ask "What is the best way to make money online'' type questions?

    Perhaps the moderators could set up a system where certain threads that get started will quickly recieve an appropriate but standerd answer explaining how to use this forum as a resource, how to use the search feature, which forum section to post in etc, and then end such a thread.

    I have also noticed an increase in spam posts.
    Signature
    How I really Make Money With Amazon

    Want to get rich with top rated FREE Super Affiliate Training?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9824617].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichBeck
      Originally Posted by DWaters View Post

      Yes I think the laziness factor is definately at play here. Why else would someone ask "What is the best way to make money online'' type questions?

      Perhaps the moderators could set up a system where certain threads that get started will quickly recieve an appropriate but standerd answer explaining how to use this forum as a resource, how to use the search feature, which forum section to post in etc, and then end such a thread.
      I am one who prefers to keep things organized... and simple. I personally prefer having a few posts... or ideally one about a topic....

      I don't see any harm with leaving a "master thread" about a topic open...

      Especially... when it comes to various topics that change rapidly.... The "accepted" answer may be completely obsolete in weeks or months depending on the topic.... You'd also want to leave the thread open for others to give more information....

      The only type of thread I could see closing is one that has a simple "cut and dried" answer..... For example, the following:

      "Should I Buy A List And Send Each Person 1,000 E-Mails Per Day?"

      That is a simple... "No." Then, it could be closed. :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9824904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
      Originally Posted by DWaters View Post

      Yes I think the laziness factor is definately at play here. Why else would someone ask "What is the best way to make money online'' type questions?

      Perhaps the moderators could set up a system where certain threads that get started will quickly recieve an appropriate but standerd answer explaining how to use this forum as a resource, how to use the search feature, which forum section to post in etc, and then end such a thread.

      I have also noticed an increase in spam posts.
      what search feature?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9825354].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author salegurus
        Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

        what search feature?
        Seriously, you've been a member since 2011 and you don't know where the search button is?
        Signature
        Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

        ― George Carlin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9825444].message }}

Trending Topics