Google Faces Antitrust Lawsuit For Influencing How Users Shop

8 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
The European Union charged Google with violating antitrust laws and operating as a virtual monopoly for online searches.

EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager announced Wednesday the search engine giant would be charged for suppressing market competition, harming European customers.

Google Faces Antitrust Lawsuit For Influencing How Users Shop | ThinkProgress
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

    The European Union charged Google with violating antitrust laws and operating as a virtual monopoly for online searches.
    They've obviously never heard of Baidu, the KING of search monopolies.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10008779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Well, there is one thing that Google is VERY guilty of. It could be seen as illegal, and I hate it. I could see several ways they could be sued for it. If you make a search for a product, they will start advertising to you based on that, and make a little fly by night look like it is world famous and THE leader.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10008972].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      This makes me laugh. There are tons of smaller search engines out there where their results are sponsored or affiliate links to make money.

      Google is just the most popular and the most used search engine on the planet. However, it is just a website that delivers a free search function for all things online. People have the choice to go there or not. No one is twisting their arm.

      They make money on sponsored links and affiliate links, offer extra services and diversify with some of their earnings buying other businesses and sites like You-Tube. They are in the business and make money.

      The bottom line is, if someone goes to Google to search for an answer or information, most of the time, they get it, and it's free, who cares if google sometimes makes some money along the way. why should we care, they provided a free service, gave us an answer to our question, I don't begrudge them for that.

      Google has changed their search algorithm many times. Gone are the days where anyone can learn the SEO ropes and massage their site up to the top ten for their keywords. That is what I call anti-trust, thin sites just make money just because they know how to get there. Move on people, don't rely on them or any other single way of getting traffic. Your business will ultimately crash and burn.

      As long as google provide the info I need I will keep going there. That's all I and most other people want it for.
      Signature

      The only thing to fear is Lanfear itself.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10009036].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        This makes me laugh. There are tons of smaller search engines out there where their results are sponsored or affiliate links to make money.

        Google is just the most popular and the most used search engine on the planet. However, it is just a website that delivers a free search function for all things online. People have the choice to go there or not. No one is twisting their arm.

        They make money on sponsored links and affiliate links, offer extra services and diversify with some of their earnings buying other businesses and sites like You-Tube. They are in the business and make money.

        The bottom line is, if someone goes to Google to search for an answer or information, most of the time, they get it, and it's free, who cares if google sometimes makes some money along the way. why should we care, they provided a free service, gave us an answer to our question, I don't begrudge them for that.

        Google has changed their search algorithm many times. Gone are the days where anyone can learn the SEO ropes and massage their site up to the top ten for their keywords. That is what I call anti-trust, thin sites just make money just because they know how to get there. Move on people, don't rely on them or any other single way of getting traffic. Your business will ultimately crash and burn.

        As long as google provide the info I need I will keep going there. That's all I and most other people want it for.
        What google does with their own site on open data, I am fine with, and I think ANYONE is! Almost EVERY such thing for MILLENIA has been a "monopoly"! May co, wontgomery wards, sears, alphabeta, vons, farrels, etc.... I could go on and on, but there may be MILLIONS of places to list! WHO CARES? If you took them to court, people SHOULD, and most WOULD, LAUGH!

        If google starts dealing with PERSONAL data, especially considering that it affects the public display, is another thing ENTIRELY! But I think what REALLY bugs people is the adwords on GENERAL sites! And that IS often a legitimate monopoly, controlling millions of sites, that they DON'T own.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10009688].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author msdobe
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post


          If google starts dealing with PERSONAL data, especially considering that it affects the public display, is another thing ENTIRELY! But I think what REALLY bugs people is the adwords on GENERAL sites! And that IS often a legitimate monopoly, controlling millions of sites, that they DON'T own.

          Steve
          I recently watched the documentary Take Back your Power, and they mentioned several things Google has been doing, and has been sued for. They are collecting information on EVERYONE. It was a real eye-opener. It's on Amazon Prime... watch if you get the chance.

          Jenny
          Signature

          If you can read this.... thank a teacher.
          If you can read this in English... thank a vet!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10012384].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
            good for the EU - I distrust Google - like Jenny above posted - they are gathering information on everyone - quite some time ago I decided I would no longer use their search engine - and pretty soon I will be closing all my accounts that have anything to do with Google - thank goodness my business doesn't depend on any of their services.
            Signature
            ---------------
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10012516].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author StingGB
              Suggested closing statement for Google lawyers to disgruntled businesses:

              If you are not happy with our service send us a site de-list request and we'll happily act upon it. You are free to take your business elsewhere.

              It is not Google's corporate responsibility to provide anyone other than our shareholders with an income.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dremy154
    That's not all they're doing
    Meet Google's Robot Army. It's Growing.

    One of many pages of results for Google buying robot companies
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10012103].message }}

Trending Topics