Do You Ever Feel Like You're Surrounded By Idiots

43 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Well, do you?

The Main forum aside, a few minutes up there and you feel as though you've devolved closer to Lucy...
Just observing people, how they behave, interact with other people etc.

PS. And i'm by no means insinuating that i'm a genius (LOL) but when i see how some people conduct themselves i sure feel like one...
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Lately I feel like I'm a different species.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Lately I feel like I'm a different species.
      I always feel like that, Kay
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    That's why I hang out on this forum. It makes me feel better about myself.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018122].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      That's why I hang out on this forum. It makes me feel better about myself.

      Then I'm not doing my job.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018310].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Then I'm not doing my job.

        If your job is making me feel better about myself, you're the star employee.
        Signature

        If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019910].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
          Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

          If your job is making me feel better about myself, you're the star employee.
          Claude's work here will never be done.



          \\\\\\\\\\\\\\

          I could not readily find a YouTube clip of comedian David Brenner's joke about people asking him
          if he's reading the newspaper he is sitting on. He'd stand up, turn the page and yes "Yes, I am".
          I have two employees who ask those kind of questions on a regular basis. Brenner was great with those type of observances. LOL

          At my hotel, we have to make allowances for guests appearing to be idiots. They really are tired from travel and/or impacted by the altitude. It's kind of amusing. Ditto for when they wake up and are groggy and/or grumpy.

          Dan
          Signature

          "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WalkingCarpet
    Banned
    In here, always.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots, and sometimes I feel like I'm the idiot that everyone is talking about.

    Lately, I'm feeling more and more like I was born on the wrong planet.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Well there are idiots and insane ones!

      I tend to get the insane ones on Fiverr at the moment.

      I clearly state that l don't create or edit, etc the group of flyers over there, (well 3 times in bold type with capitals, highlighted) but still get dummies that want me to create a flyer with their images for peanuts.

      I kindly cancel the order and tell them; but lately l have had a few that refuse a refund and try to force me to do it.

      Hoping that l will be too scared to back out and spend a few hours doing it for $4, or some token amount!

      I then tell them support will kill it if they refuse again.


      One recently said that he was very disappointed that l wouldn't do it, and he didn't cancel the first time around.

      He also said he would contact support and social media saying that l was a lair, etc blah, blah.

      Thankfully l was in a good mood, so l said, go ahead, l have clearly stated that l don't edit, and it will only fall back on you, and it wasn't my fault that he couldn't read.

      He backed down after that!

      He was also a bit p*** since he had downloaded 15 images, before asking!

      Definition of seriously dumb, go get an account on Fiverr, after getting a 100% positive star, (or whatever they call it) the dumb and pushy will come out of the sewer!

      I will probably pull that gig if this crap continues?

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bojan92
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots, and sometimes I feel like I'm the idiot that everyone is talking about.

      Lately, I'm feeling more and more like I was born on the wrong planet.
      Yes that the right thing from a to z what i had to say. That is the way i feel too. Why are there so many idiots
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10202374].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SteveJohnson
        Originally Posted by bojan92 View Post

        Yes that the right thing from a to z what i had to say. That is the way i feel too. Why are there so many idiots
        You do realize that posting here in the dungeon doesn't increase your post count, don't you?
        Signature

        The 2nd Amendment, 1789 - The Original Homeland Security.

        Gun control means never having to say, "I missed you."

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10202734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alistair
    Yep, that's why I looked into IM and thankfully after about 4 years I'm now earning enough consistently to leave my job. I have 5 more working days left to go and then I'm finally my own boss.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LynnM
      Originally Posted by alistair View Post

      Yep, that's why I looked into IM and thankfully after about 4 years I'm now earning enough consistently to leave my job. I have 5 more working days left to go and then I'm finally my own boss.
      Congrats!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

    Do You Ever Feel Like You're Surrounded By Idiots
    Every single day ... and that's before I even get to the forum.
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018265].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      dummies that want me to create a flyer with their images for peanuts.
      When Fiverr was started and everyone was so excited - I looked at it and though "nope". I'd rather pay $20 for a project than spend 2 hrs trying to find someone to do it cheap on Fiverr.

      There is NOTHING I do that I'll sell for $5.

      I think I will soon be the only person on the planet who doesn't use Facebook - has never tweeted - and doesn't have a Fiverr account. I'm going to leverage that when the time comes
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
      ***
      It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018294].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        When Fiverr was started and everyone was so excited - I looked at it and though "nope". I'd rather pay $20 for a project than spend 2 hrs trying to find someone to do it cheap on Fiverr.

        There is NOTHING I do that I'll sell for $5.

        I think I will soon be the only person on the planet who doesn't use Facebook - has never tweeted - and doesn't have a Fiverr account. I'm going to leverage that when the time comes
        You are not missing much, l have a FB account eventhough it doesn't work with loading up new flyers, and it is virtually impossible to get help.

        Twitter is ok, and Pinterest has scrapped direct linking of flyers, so l am thinking about ditching that one for another.


        Yes, Fiverr, mental asylum for $5.

        This moron is contacting support because he can't read!!!!

        I just contacted them to make sure this nutter is dealt with!

        I will have to pull this gig if these nutters continue.

        Or write I ONLY DELIVER, a hundred times, maybe that will work?

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

    Well, do you?

    The Main forum aside, a few minutes up there and you feel as though you've devolved closer to Lucy...
    Just observing people, how they behave, interact with other people etc.
    The problem is, many see them as easy prey for their sig files and answer them.
    Then more idiots want to get in on the act.
    It's spiraling out of control.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author salegurus
      Originally Posted by lgibbon View Post

      The problem is, many see them as easy prey for their sig files and answer them.
      Then more idiots want to get in on the act.
      It's spiraling out of control.
      Just remember lgibbon you are one of these "seasoned members" so if you are not trying to sell yourself, expounding your success at every opportunity, enabling the entitled, pushing the lifestyle etc. then your are just too negative...

      Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

      There are hundreds of seasoned members here though with thousands of posts who stopped giving back to the community years ago. And every single one of their posts is one of four things-

      1) The OP is a liar.
      2) This topic sucks.
      3) This topic was just talked about.
      4) This forum sucks.
      Signature
      Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

      ― George Carlin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018566].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kk075
        Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

        Just remember lgibbon you are one of these "seasoned members" so if you are not trying to sell yourself, expounding your success at every opportunity, enabling the entitled, pushing the lifestyle etc. then your are just too negative...
        It seems like this keeps coming up but I'm not understanding why. I apologized publicly for offending the "seasoned member" and I sent PMs to others involved with the conversation.

        But I guess that makes me the idiot for even making the effort. Point taken.
        Signature

        Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019213].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
          Originally Posted by kk075 View Post

          It seems like this keeps coming up but I'm not understanding why. I apologized publicly for offending the "seasoned member" and I sent PMs to others involved with the conversation.

          But I guess that makes me the idiot for even making the effort. Point taken.
          Seasoned may get offended and express it publicly or in pms, but is he aware of when he is being offensive towards others (which is quite frequent)? I am not sure if he's not consciously aware of it or if it deliberate.
          Signature

          Project HERE.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019501].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HeySal
            Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

            Seasoned may get offended and express it publicly or in pms, but is he aware of when he is being offensive towards others (which is quite frequent)? I am not sure if he's not consciously aware of it or if it deliberate.
            Usually he doesn't. I've seem him try to slide a few zingers by us, but usually he's actually confused if someone takes offense to something he did not precisely mean as offensive. You have to understand that Seasoned has a purely mathematical mind and his linguistic patterns completely obliterate the normal human's frame/insert coding for conversation That, and judging from the amount of TV he watches, I'd say he's not overly social. In his field, though - I doubt highly that you would find him second to anyone. He actually makes sense, too - if you enjoy a good game of cognitive linguistic racketball.
            Signature

            Sal
            When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
            Beyond the Path

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019582].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
              Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

              Seasoned may get offended and express it publicly or in pms, but is he aware of when he is being offensive towards others (which is quite frequent)? I am not sure if he's not consciously aware of it or if it deliberate.
              Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

              Usually he doesn't. I've seem him try to slide a few zingers by us, but usually he's actually confused if someone takes offense to something he did not precisely mean as offensive.
              I read the original reference in this thread as being about "seasoned members" i.e. members who've been around for a while - not about Steve (Seasoned).

              .
              Signature
              TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019731].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
                Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

                I read the original reference in this thread as being about "seasoned members" i.e. members who've been around for a while - not about Steve (Seasoned).

                .
                Same here. The earlier confused "confession" seemed like self-incrimination caused by misunderstanding the thread.
                Signature

                Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019983].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                  I don't feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. Unless the person is mentally handicapped, I understand that some people are just inexperienced, or aren't knowledgeable about a subject. So, I don't think of them as stupid.

                  But...I spend the entire day, talking to people that I think are at various levels of insane.
                  And I do my best, to not upset them....and make them feel like their insanity is the normal reaction.

                  The interesting part, is that their actions are normal. It's me that's the oddball.
                  Signature
                  One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                  "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020061].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                    I don't feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. Unless the person is mentally handicapped, I understand that some people are just inexperienced, or aren't knowledgeable about a subject. So, I don't think of them as stupid.

                    But...I spend the entire day, talking to people that I think are at various levels of insane.
                    And I do my best, to not upset them....and make them feel like their insanity is the normal reaction.

                    The interesting part, is that their actions are normal. It's me that's the oddball.
                    There's an old poker saying that tells us if you're at a poker table and after 20 minutes you can't tell who the patsy is, you're the patsy. The same principle applies here.
                    Signature
                    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
                    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020150].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

                      There's an old poker saying that tells us if you're at a poker table and after 20 minutes you can't tell who the patsy is, you're the patsy. The same principle applies here.
                      Ha! To me, there is a difference between being a patsy and an idiot. Most of us are not "In the know" on most subjects. I never think someone is stupid, just because they don't know what I know. Even when people don't know the name of the vice president (or another easy question), I don't think they are stupid, just not interested.

                      By the way, my son is in Las Vegas, supporting himself by playing poker. I asked how he consistently makes money. He said, "I play after midnight, and I don't drink".


                      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

                      Could you imagine being at a Whitacre family reunion? The feeling would be exponential.


                      Of course, there are no Whitacre family reunions. Nobody can figure out how to get there.
                      That's just wrong. We are all gathered up from the various institutions we live at....and placed in a campground. Our handlers tell us we are having a reunion. There's lots of free food. That's all we care about.



                      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                      Surely the Zoo's could collaborate?
                      That's silly. We can't afford to live in zoos. That's where rich people live.
                      Signature
                      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020239].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                        Ha! To me, there is a difference between being a patsy and an idiot. Most of us are not "In the know" on most subjects. I never think someone is stupid, just because they don't know what I know. Even when people don't know the name of the vice president (or another easy question), I don't think they are stupid, just not interested.

                        I never said they were the same. I said the principle was the same. And not "being in the know" in poker can be very expensive. Not knowing poker doesn't make someone an idiot. What makes them an idiot is not knowing poker while PLAYING poker.


                        BTW, when you dress up in drag do you go by the name "Patsy"?

                        By the way, my son is in Las Vegas, supporting himself by playing poker. I asked how he consistently makes money. He said, "I play after midnight, and I don't drink".
                        I did too, although I was more of a blackjack player, until I learned that the odds were much better in IM than in casinos. I did drive a cab 3 days a week, 4 when they made me, to have a stable income because unlike other lines of "work", when you run out of money as a gambler, you can't work.


                        I looked at the stack of gambling books I read, all highlighted and discovered that had these been college text books I would have earned a degree. So I decided to quit gambling and go back to school to learn computers.


                        As a matter of fact, I believe I was the first person to include the value of keywords in a keyword research tool. I based this on a concept called "pot odds" in poker.


                        I also found the psychological concepts of "tells" (intentional and unintentional) and "reads" to be very helpful in real life.


                        I was actually one of four gambling experts for the Luna Network (About.com) back in the day. The other 3 were published and famous.
                        Signature
                        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
                        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020267].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                          Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

                          BTW, when you dress up in drag do you go by the name "Patsy"?
                          In drag, I always introduce myself as "Kurt's Mom"
                          Signature
                          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                          "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020292].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
                            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                            In drag, I always introduce myself as "Kurt's Mom"
                            That would be a drag.
                            Signature

                            "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020755].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
                        [QUOTE=Claude Whitacre;10020239]Ha! To me, there is a difference between being a patsy and an idiot. Most of us are not "In the know" on most subjects. <snip>/QUOTE]

                        That is so true. When I was in China, it was funny showing folks who were movers and shakers where they were from around unknown territory to do such things as buy antiques. I'm sure they knew I was a dishwasher or something from Canada, no bigshot (nor was I in China) and wouldn't give me the time of day in New York or wherever, but they still were at my mercy pretty much as I helped them navigate foreign territory, spare them from getting ripped off big-time (bribe offers were brazenly made to me right in front of the targets since the foreigners didn't understand Chinese, but that's not my style).
                        Signature

                        Project HERE.

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020786].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author kk075
                  Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

                  Same here. The earlier confused "confession" seemed like self-incrimination caused by misunderstanding the thread.
                  No confession here...I simply tried to end a dispute by being the bigger person.

                  The "seasoned" came from my original statement of, "Some of the seasoned members here..." in a completely different thread. I was not referring to anyone named Steve or Seasoned though.
                  Signature

                  Learn to sell like a pro through Web Synergy's marketing blog.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt


    "Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right..."
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    Only when I am in a house of mirrors.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    Well here is one... Just spent about 30min on the phone with USPS and my local PO trying to track down a package, again... It's the second time in as many weeks that a package was either delivered to the wrong address or completely "misplaced"...

    I made the mistake of driving up to the PO the last time to try and find out where my package might be, Big Mistake. I left there more upset and frustrated, they just don't seem to care (You know the look they give you)...

    So now i leave it up to the shipper to find or replace the item, it's much better for my health that way.
    No offence to any current or retired postal workers but seriously how difficult can the job be...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    Could you imagine being at a Whitacre family reunion? The feeling would be exponential.


    Of course, there are no Whitacre family reunions. Nobody can figure out how to get there.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Could you imagine being at a Whitacre family reunion? The feeling would be exponential.


      Of course, there are no Whitacre family reunions. Nobody can figure out how to get there.
      Surely the Zoo's could collaborate?
      Signature

      The only thing to fear is Lanfear itself.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Underground
    Mainly surrounded by people who are strangers to logic. Or at least severely phobic of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StingGB
    Back to the OP. Yes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapzer0
    Sometimes, but then again I don't know whether they're just acting like one, so who am I to judge? I get very annoyed though when people act stupid to look cute lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10021368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nettiapina
    I feel like this quite often.

    And on my brighter moments I realize that I'm one of those damn idiots, and I just have a bias towards my own stupid crap.
    Signature
    Links in signature will not help your SEO. Not on this site, and not on any other forum.
    Who told me this? An ex Google web spam engineer.

    What's your excuse?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10021553].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10067797].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10203164].message }}

Trending Topics