A Woman Will Be Featured On The New $10 Bill.

62 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
A Woman Will Be Featured On The New $10 Bill. Here Are Five Amazing Options. | ThinkProgress
  • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
    I heard this on the news this morning and I think the decision should be commended. I mean other countries have had real women on their money and the only woman we've had that I can recollect wasn't a real live woman; Lady Liberty.

    Although we've not had a woman as head of our country, we do have some amazing women who have made landmark decisions helping this country exponentially!


    Terra
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

      I heard this on the news this morning and I think the decision should be commended. I mean other countries have had real women on their money and the only woman we've had that I can recollect wasn't a real live woman; Lady Liberty.

      Although we've not had a woman as head of our country, we do have some amazing women who have made landmark decisions helping this country exponentially!


      Terra
      And HOW many MEN have been on our currency? ******NONE*******!

      Pull out your bills right now! Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, Washington? They are NOT MEN! They were PRESIDENTS and HEROS! They simply happened to BE men!

      TRY finding a WOMAN on any currency! OH, there is margarthe on the Danish currency! NOT a woman, but a QUEEN! There is Elizabeth on canadas bills, australias(I believe), and british. AGAIN, a QUEEN! The queens only happened to be women! You see how that works?

      The GARBAGE that someone should be on a currency because of their sex is LUDICROUS! The idea that women should have equal representation on the currency in the US is LUDICROUS! The idea that MEN should have equal representation on a lot of currency is ludicrous! What is NEXT? Should a CAMEL be on the Australian notes because the Australian mammals(Or at least similar) are?

      Will ****I**** ever be on a currency? UNLIKELY! I am not any ruler or hero. DO I CARE? NOPE! Do I look like ANY of the people on the currecy? NOPE! My attire is different, I don't have a wig, etc...

      OH, and name one big famous MALE statue in a US harbor! Liberty wasn't even in any way related to any US person or ruler or hero!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122796].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        And HOW many MEN have been on our currency? ******NONE*******!

        Pull out your bills right now! Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, Washington? They are NOT MEN! They were PRESIDENTS and HEROS! They simply happened to BE men!

        TRY finding a WOMAN on any currency! OH, there is margarthe on the Danish currency! NOT a woman, but a QUEEN! There is Elizabeth on canadas bills, australias(I believe), and british. AGAIN, a QUEEN! The queens only happened to be women! You see how that works?

        The GARBAGE that someone should be on a currency because of their sex is LUDICROUS! The idea that women should have equal representation on the currency in the US is LUDICROUS! The idea that MEN should have equal representation on a lot of currency is ludicrous! What is NEXT? Should a CAMEL be on the Australian notes because the Australian mammals(Or at least similar) are?

        Will ****I**** ever be on a currency? UNLIKELY! I am not any ruler or hero. DO I CARE? NOPE! Do I look like ANY of the people on the currecy? NOPE! My attire is different, I don't have a wig, etc...

        OH, and name one big famous MALE statue in a US harbor! Liberty wasn't even in any way related to any US person or ruler or hero!

        Steve
        Steve honey,

        If Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, Washington, Kennedy, etc. weren't men and weren't women, then what were they?

        I never said women should have equal representation just because they were women. I said some women have made commendable contributions to our country that changed lives for the better. I'm I'm quite confidant that those women are considered heroines to some whose lives were enriched by those contributions.


        We have an Eagle and have had a buffalo, so why can't they have a camel?

        I have no desire to be on any currency nor do I want to see you on any, haha!


        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122815].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

          Steve honey,

          If Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, Washington, Kennedy, etc. weren't men and weren't women, then what were they?
          PRESIDENTS and heros! They were NOT on the money because they were men. Women weren't excluded. HECK, so many countries have women on the currency NOT because they were women, but because they fit the profile, which is USUALLY a high head of state.

          I never said women should have equal representation just because they were women. I said some women have made commendable contributions to our country that changed lives for the better. I'm I'm quite confidant that those women are considered heroines to some whose lives were enriched by those contributions.
          I meant hero to the COUNTRY, NOT because you won a game, or gave someone a drug, or even because you came up with a new operation.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122824].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        And HOW many MEN have been on our currency? ******NONE*******!
        Oh come now Steve. I know they all identify as donkeys, but in reality, they are men.


        YOU are LUDICROUS!

        But seriously ... a stinking $10. I'd be more impressed if it were at least $100 bill.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131986].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          But seriously ... a stinking $10. I'd be more impressed if it were at least $100 bill.
          You give them an inch...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10132208].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

            You give them an inch...
            I keep telling them them I'm giving all I've got but it's never enough. You just can't make them happy. :-(

            Cheers. - Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10132237].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          Oh come now Steve. I know they all identify as donkeys, but in reality, they are men.


          YOU are LUDICROUS!

          But seriously ... a stinking $10. I'd be more impressed if it were at least $100 bill.
          They were out BEFORE the donkeys, and against so much the donkeys were for, and vice versa.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10132392].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
            Bernanke agrees with Big Frank:

            Replace Andrew Jackson, a man of many unattractive qualities and a poor president, on the twenty dollar bill.
            http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/ben-bernanke/posts/2015/06/22-jack-lew-ten-dollar-bill

            We should take Washington off the one also.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10132426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    BTW HERE is a thought! If they will have a woman on a bill, how about the first woman president! I forget who it was, but believe it was eleanor Roosevelt. Anyway, when her husband, the president, died, she took over. It was illegal and all, but someone felt it was best she take over to hide the presidents death, IIRC. I say it was illegal, because the vice president is supposed to take over, and then the secretary of state, IIRC.

    OH YEAH, ALSO, aren't only DEAD people on the currency?

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122817].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      BTW HERE is a thought! If they will have a woman on a bill, how about the first woman president! I forget who it was, but believe it was eleanor Roosevelt. Anyway, when her husband, the president, died, she took over. It was illegal and all, but someone felt it was best she take over to hide the presidents death, IIRC. I say it was illegal, because the vice president is supposed to take over, and then the secretary of state, IIRC.

      OH YEAH, ALSO, aren't only DEAD people on the currency?

      Steve

      Steve, I took out my bills as you asked, and I have a secret for you...




      Then how about either of these women?

      Clara Barton (1824-1912) * Called the "Angel of the Battlefield" for her first aid heroism during the Civil War, she was instrumental in founding the American Red Cross.

      Martha McFarlane McGee Bell (1735-1829) - Became a heroine in the American Revolution after an encounter with General Cornwallis and the British Army and collected valuable information for the American cause.


      Terra


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122843].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

        [LEFT]Then how about either of these women?

        Clara Barton (1824-1912) * Called the "Angel of the Battlefield" for her first aid heroism during the Civil War, she was instrumental in founding the American Red Cross.

        Martha McFarlane McGee Bell (1735-1829) - Became a heroine in the American Revolution after an encounter with General Cornwallis and the British Army and collected valuable information for the American cause.
        MAN, YOU'RE REACHING!!!!! Actually, I think Clara Barton is recognized as their founder.

        BTW They are apparently favoring Harriet tubman. BO will NOT like THAT! HE wanted this! So to have a BLACK woman on the currency? BTW she is NOT pretty, to look at wikipedia. YIKES


        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123083].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          MAN, YOU'RE REACHING!!!!! Actually, I think Clara Barton is recognized as their founder.

          BTW They are apparently favoring Harriet tubman. BO will NOT like THAT! HE wanted this! So to have a BLACK woman on the currency? BTW she is NOT pretty, to look at wikipedia. YIKES


          Steve

          Reaching for what?

          I didn't know looks were a prerequisite.

          Actually, if they were, those other males wouldn't be on any currency with maybe Kennedy as an exception, in my estimation at least, and it is a well known fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123162].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

            Reaching for what?

            I didn't know looks were a prerequisite.

            Actually, if they were, those other males wouldn't be on any currency with maybe Kennedy as an exception, in my estimation at least, and it is a well known fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway.
            Looks aren't a prerequisite, just saying. Have you seen the pictures.

            Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      BTW HERE is a thought! If they will have a woman on a bill, how about the first woman president! I forget who it was, but believe it was eleanor Roosevelt. Anyway, when her husband, the president, died, she took over. It was illegal and all, but someone felt it was best she take over to hide the presidents death, IIRC. I say it was illegal, because the vice president is supposed to take over, and then the secretary of state, IIRC.
      You are thinking of Edith Wilson who some say was the de facto President when Woodrow Wilson had a stroke, before he died, not after. As for your other comments here, all I can do is shake my head. :/
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123159].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

        You are thinking of Edith Wilson who some say was the de facto President when Woodrow Wilson had a stroke, before he died, not after. As for your other comments here, all I can do is shake my head. :/
        Thanks for saving me the time for this correction.
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123413].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

        You are thinking of Edith Wilson who some say was the de facto President when Woodrow Wilson had a stroke, before he died, not after. As for your other comments here, all I can do is shake my head. :/
        OK, I said IIRC. It HAS been a while! OK, a stroke, STILL...

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

        As for your other comments here, all I can do is shake my head. :/
        That's it? Mine rotates like Linda Blair. I also projectile vomit.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rondo
    Australia has had women featured on banknotes since the 60s (that's in addition to the Queen).


    Andrew
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rondo
    In fact there are now 6 women on Aussie notes including the Queen. She's only on the $5 bill..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankno...tralian_dollar

    Andrew
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10122873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by rondo View Post

      In fact there are now 6 women on Aussie notes including the Queen. She's only on the $5 bill..
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankno...tralian_dollar

      Andrew
      I know an old Queen from Wooster who would fit the bill...just
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123026].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by rondo View Post

      In fact there are now 6 women on Aussie notes including the Queen. She's only on the $5 bill..
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankno...tralian_dollar

      Andrew
      OK, that is surprising. But the US has had MANY people of high acclaim and did ANY get on the currency? I DID forget about ben franklin, though he did have a lot to do with things. But HEY, we had a few women on dollar coins like susan B Anthony.

      YEAH, there are people like Jonas salk that didn't make it. And people like marie curie may not have been on any currency. Americans get a LOT of garbage for being sexist and racist, etc... You know what? NOBODY denied marie her due. In fact, if ANYTHING was left out of school studies, it would be that she was maybe the first to show the DANGERS of radiation by succumbing to it.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    I nominate Caitlyn Jenner.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    I didn't see Bruce Jenner on the list.





    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    It's about time!
    Signature

    ORIGINAL CONTENT: Only $0.005 USD per word
    Quality Bulk Content for Articles / Blogs / Websites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    This is blatant discrimination against transgendered people, I demand immediate Financial Trans-action.
    Signature

    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123363].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      This is blatant discrimination against transgendered people, I demand immediate Financial Trans-action.

      "Trans-action"....Jeesh! You're really good at that.


      The Neanderthal community is pretty up in arms about the lack of representation in currency as well. Riffle was complaining, by banging a rock, stressing his displeasure about this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123388].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        "Trans-action"....Jeesh! You're really good at that.


        The Neanderthal community is pretty up in arms about the lack of representation in currency as well. Riffle was complaining, by banging a rock, stressing his displeasure about this.
        I hear he's also a Rolling Stones fan.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    they seem to spend most of it so why not have a picture too?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123536].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      they seem to spend most of it so why not have a picture too?

      Haha!

      That was funny right there. It made me laugh right out loud.


      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    That's funny... my dog was just complaining about the lack of canine representation on American currency.

    In all seriousness, it is shameful that this is even a controversy. Of course there should be women approximately equally represented on our currency. And they shouldn't all be former presidents/government officials. How about Amelia Earhart? Sacajawea? Emily Dickinson? Harriet Tubman? Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan? Rosa Parks? So many more good names out there.

    Why not rotate out important people in our history through our currency denominations every decade or so? What a great learning opportunity that would be for our kids. And, of course, it would be good for the ignorant adult population as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

      That's funny... my dog was just complaining about the lack of canine representation on American currency.

      In all seriousness, it is shameful that this is even a controversy. Of course there should be women approximately equally represented on our currency. And they shouldn't all be former presidents/government officials. How about Amelia Earhart? Sacajawea? Emily Dickinson? Harriet Tubman? Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan? Rosa Parks? So many more good names out there.

      Why not rotate out important people in our history through our currency denominations every decade or so? What a great learning opportunity that would be for our kids. And, of course, it would be good for the ignorant adult population as well.
      How much is that please, 50 Barks
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10123674].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        How much is that please, 50 Barks
        Three woofs is 60 barks, so you have 10 barks coming back in the form of a yip.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124424].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

          Three woofs is 60 barks, so you have 10 barks coming back in the form of a yip.
          I know the economy is Ruff but your prices are going through the Roooof
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124931].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        How much is that please, 50 Barks
        Sacajawea interestingly enough IS on some US currency.

        You know what is downright MORONIC about this "debate"? The supposed reason for having NEW DIFFERENT currency is that SUPPOSEDLY it will be harder to counterfeit!

        That is UTTER BULL!!!!!!!!! The more variants you have, the EASIER it is to counterfeit because one will be easier than another to duplicate *******AND******* with so many variants, people will be MORE trusting of new ones, and LESS able to identify differences!

        And the US, indeed the WORLD, is struggling with a BAD economy, and this will only make that WORSE by devaluing the currency and making the costs FAR HIGHER! Let's say, for example, a computer cost you $1000, but lasted 5 years. Assuming all else was equal, your cost is $200/year. OK, lets say you had to issue a NEW currency(buy a new computer) every 2 years. OK, now it costs $500/year. Let's say that you caused inflation(hey, those peripherals and all may not be compatible). So NOW, it could cost $1000/year! And WHY are we doing this?

        Isn't it better to live in a nice society, and be recognized on your merits, than to live in a BAD society that simply honored a complete stranger, that may have done nothing, simply because that person had an attribute YOU had? Does that REALLY help YOU?

        BTW they JUST started making machines that handled other dollars, to keep up with inflation, before the US changed all these bills(INCLUDING THE $10 bill!!!!!!!!)!!!!!!! OH, counterfeiting did NOT stop, but those machines mostly do NOT accept the new currency!

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...en-dollar_bill

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124464].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post


          Isn't it better to live in a nice society, and be recognized on your merits, than to live in a BAD society that simply honored a complete stranger, that may have done nothing, simply because that person had an attribute YOU had? Does that REALLY help YOU?
          I'm trying to decipher what you meant to say here, but all I can figure is that although you don't know who the woman is who will be on the $10 bill you think she will be a "complete stranger" who may have done nothing to merit the honor except for being a woman? This sounds a wee bit sexist to me but what do I know.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124999].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

            I'm trying to decipher what you meant to say here, but all I can figure is that although you don't know who the woman is who will be on the $10 bill you think she will be a "complete stranger" who may have done nothing to merit the honor except for being a woman? This sounds a wee bit sexist to me but what do I know.
            Don't try to figure it out. The last three men who gave it a shot are now dead. All three listed as suicide....but they died mysteriously..crying, and trying to gouge out their own eyes. One of the "seasoned victims" was reported screaming, "That makes no sense!" over and over again.


            Medical fact.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125010].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Don't try to figure it out. The last three men who gave it a shot are now dead. All three listed as suicide....but they died mysteriously..crying, and trying to gouge out their own eyes. One of the "seasoned victims" was reported screaming, "That makes no sense!" over and over again.


              Medical fact.
              I guess I better rethink trying autoerotic asphyxiation for the first time tonight. I wonder how long I should wait until walking across the Golden Gate Bridge as I like to do in the summer.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125022].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                Banned
                Put a woman on the 20 and get rid of Jackson. He hated the banks, was totally opposed to paper money, was a slave owner and rode roughshod over native Americans. What we would refer to today as a first-class scumbag.

                Hamilton was the main impetus behind the American banking sysyem, if memory serves.

                Cheers. - Frank
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10125269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TB Ann
    okay so can't we just put a tranny there?
    Signature
    SELL & BUY Adult Traffic
    www.trafficbroker.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10124490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
    Why not pick someone who actually deserves to be there?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10130639].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by Cam Connor View Post

      Why not pick someone who actually deserves to be there?


      What has Ms. Rand done to deserve such an honor?
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131326].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

        What has Ms. Rand done to deserve such an honor?
        That's an easy one. Absolutely nothing, unless you consider publishing tripe as some major accomplishment. lol

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131331].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          That's an easy one. Absolutely nothing, unless you consider publishing tripe as some major accomplishment. lol

          Cheers. - Frank
          Don't Fear The Rand...

          Edit: Btw, putting Rand's face on a FIAT currency would be bitterly ironic... not too sure what I was thinking! lol
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131991].message }}
  • Given the pay differential between the sexes in pretty much every country in the world, sticking a dame on a banknote is a great way to devalue the currency.

    Less'n we put Madonna on there, convulsing the hell out of some provocative leatherwear.

    If we wait till she's dead, and wailing on in from the spirit world with her next CD, we can maybe wind up three comment trails in one.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

      Less'n we put Madonna on there, convulsing the hell out of some provocative leatherwear.
      Well, you could always put Taylor Twit on the money and make it worth absolutely nothing. lol

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10131388].message }}

Trending Topics