How Was Your 4th of July? Did You Lose Your Head?

by BigFrank Banned
24 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
You can't make this stuff up.

Cheers. - Frank

Man Dies Instantly After Setting Off A Firework From His Head
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I saw that yesterday. Couldn't believe it. My fireworks experience was less lethal. Yesterday I went to one of my daughter's community to see grandkids and her and her husband and see their community fireworks. We got there and got a parking spot and opened up the back of the SUV and then waited for the fireworks. It began to rain .... downpour and thunder and lightning. A noxious odor filled the SUV as we piled in the back to get out of the rain. Adrienne thought it was Silas, the youngest who is still in a diaper. We couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed a portable John close by. Case solved. lol. Never saw the fireworks. Torrential rains canceled them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10153826].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      A noxious odor filled the SUV as we piled in the back to get out of the rain.
      Sorry for trying to sneak in, but I wanted to see the fireworks, too. :-(

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10153875].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SnackMemory
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I saw that yesterday. Couldn't believe it. My fireworks experience was less lethal. Yesterday I went to one of my daughter's community to see grandkids and her and her husband and see their community fireworks. We got there and got a parking spot and opened up the back of the SUV and then waited for the fireworks. It began to rain .... downpour and thunder and lightning. A noxious odor filled the SUV as we piled in the back to get out of the rain. Adrienne thought it was Silas, the youngest who is still in a diaper. We couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed a portable John close by. Case solved. lol. Never saw the fireworks. Torrential rains canceled them.

      Wowzerz! That profile picture is horrifyingly hideous! Please do not scare people in such a manner sir!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10155836].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by SnackMemory View Post

        Wowzerz! That profile picture is horrifyingly hideous! Please do not scare people in such a manner sir!


        Nice knowing ya, Snacks.
        Signature

        If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10155944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Yes, it is illegal to use in Australia, or Victoria, (for personal use) but every new years eve, l can hear them going off all over the place!

    2 Years ago someone got a relatively small firework hitting him in the face, he died later on in hospital!

    There is a roaring trade to buy these things overseas, and do stupid things with them in your backyard, or usually in the middle of a park!

    But a 20+ individual dying from something is getting pretty common unfortunately!

    Maybe they should teach OHAS in schools?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10153828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Thursday - younger son came in from Atlanta for the weekend...from then on it was party time.

      Friday - held my grandson's graduation party here at the house. About 70-80 people - catered with enough food for an army (and they ate most of it)....party was from 3-whenever (most were gone by 10 pm) and weather cooperated. Cloudy but only one light shower so we could be in and out doors.

      Saturday - lunch at a local firehouse (fundraiser) - then party at a friend's house - then a parade in a nearby town - then an "oldtimers" baseball game at a local park followed by some great fireworks.

      Yesterday (Sunday) - went to Findley Market in Cincinnati - bought some fantastic infused olive oil, gourmet salts and olive salad. Went to a brewery in a huge building for some good beer.

      Then back to my son's best friend's house to grill filets (purchased at the market earlier) and fresh veggies - swim/eat/drink. I hit the hot tub after eating - so full of food I was afraid I'd just sink if I got back in the pool.

      Today, I am tired. Got up at 5:30 to say goodbye to son as he headed back to Atlanta- then couldn't get back to sleep so I'll probably be tired all day.

      But it's a good tired. It was definitely a 'life is good' weekend.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      My mind still thinks I'm 25.
      My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10153869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    I spent the 4th with about 20 family members. The yard was decked out in small flags, the tables had flag tablecloths and Mother requested that we all show up at her house in something that was red, white and blue and we did.

    When it rained off and on we came inside and watched recordings of America's Got Talent, the annual hot dog eating contest and the Capitol 4th concert on the national mall. Back outside we listened to my playlist of patriotic songs.

    We also celebrated a couple of birthdays that are close to the 4th.

    I had lots of gut wrenching laughs throughout the day as I always do when around the fam.

    Sorry the hear about the guy who shot fireworks off his head. The 4th will never be the same for those close to him.
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10153933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

      I spent the 4th with about 20 family members. The yard was decked out in small flags, the tables had flag tablecloths and Mother requested that we all show up at her house in something that was red, white and blue and we did.

      When it rained off and on we came inside and watched recordings of America's Got Talent, the annual hot dog eating contest and the Capitol 4th concert on the national mall. Back outside we listened to my playlist of patriotic songs.

      We also celebrated a couple of birthdays that are close to the 4th.

      I had lots of gut wrenching laughs throughout the day as I always do when around the fam.

      Sorry the hear about the guy who shot fireworks off his head. The 4th will never be the same for those close to him.
      Yes, l have spent the last month doing 4th of July flyers, so l know a bit about it!

      Although l still can't figure out where the Giant UFO and Will Smith fit in????

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154000].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Every year, our small town has a really extensive fire works display. There was probably a parade.

        To me, it was a Saturday off work.


        Saturday, we got groceries.....and we went to see the new Terminator movie.

        Sunday, I read all day. My wife cooked, and read all day.

        Mister and Mrs Excitement.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154021].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          we went to see the new Terminator movie.
          Which one was that - "Terminator - Prostate Trouble"

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154048].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            Which one was that - "Terminator - Prostate Trouble"

            Cheers. - Frank
            I have to tell you, Arnold looked phenomenal for 67 years old.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154088].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              I have to tell you, Arnold looked phenomenal for 67 years old.
              So do I for 67. Unfortunately, I'm only 43. :-(

              Cheers. - Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154092].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              I have to tell you, Arnold looked phenomenal for 67 years old.
              I think there may have been a bit of digital magic going on.

              As Genisys producers David Ellison and Dana Goldberg explained at the Hollywood premiere of the movie, there are "4 different Arnolds" in the movie, and they are of varying ages.

              The secret? Most of the Arnold lookalikes are "synthespians," aka CGI made to look like younger versions of the actor, including a Terminator from the original 1984 movie, said Ellison.

              No, filmmakers didn't use footage from earlier films, "we promise we didn't do it," but "but a lot of really talented visual people made that happen," said Goldberg.

              "If you see young Arnold in this movie, if you think it's real, we've hopefully done our jobs right," said Ellison.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154182].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

                I think there may have been a bit of digital magic going on.

                Probably. But I've seen photos of him out and about. He's back in shape now, and looks amazing. I mean, he looks 67, but a fit and muscular 67.
                Signature
                One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154203].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
                  Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                  Every year, our small town has a really extensive fire works display. There was probably a parade.

                  To me, it was a Saturday off work.


                  Saturday, we got groceries.....and we went to see the new Terminator movie.

                  Sunday, I read all day. My wife cooked, and read all day.

                  Mister and Mrs Excitement.
                  Hmmmm, you forgot the eating of dunuts?

                  There has to be munching, Dan has found the crumbs in your trash can?

                  I went to Fiverr, and he had a gig, "I Will Fossik Through Claude's Trash Can for $5!

                  But l took the upsell as well, for an extra $10 l will search from donut crumbs!

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154228].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Every year, our small town has a really extensive fire works display. There was probably a parade.

          To me, it was a Saturday off work.


          Saturday, we got groceries.....and we went to see the new Terminator movie.

          Sunday, I read all day. My wife cooked, and read all day.

          Mister and Mrs Excitement.
          Your wife cooked the books?

          So.. How about your take on the Terminator film. Marks out of ten please, worth seeing?
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154313].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            Your wife cooked the books?

            So.. How about your take on the Terminator film. Marks out of ten please, worth seeing?

            Maybe the best of the series. Certainly complex enough. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of ten. It left several openings for further sequels.

            Emelia Clarke was miscast, I think. She's very small, and looks like she's 16 years old.

            Matt Smith ( Doctor Who) was in it, in a pivotal role.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154381].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Emelia Clarke was miscast, I think. She's very small, and looks like she's 16 years old.
              Go on. I'm listening.

              Cheers. - Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154434].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                Three days of parties and fun - and today had the energy of a squished gnat. Oh well, got a whole year to get my energy back for the next 4th.
                Signature
                Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

                My mind still thinks I'm 25.
                My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    I went to a friend's house to watch fireworks as her neighborhood has tons of illegal mortars going off from 8pm to about midnight. I felt like I was in a war zone (yes, I had a blast).

    The next morning, I found out someone very close to my neighborhood died as a result of a fight.

    55-year-old man dies at July 4 block party in Santa Ana | abc7.com

    Since I know some people in that neighborhood I decided to go for a walk there and say hi to some familiar faces. They told me that the man who died had asked another man to leave his private party. That man didn't like being told to leave so he punched the 55 year old man really hard in the chest. Some people think it was the punch that caused him to go into cardiac arrest.

    They are performing an autopsy to find out the cause of death. At least the police know everyone who was involved.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10154231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I was out hunting rock on the 4th. Got rained out of most of everywhere I wanted to go, but still got some pretty great opalized petrified wood.

    Then on the 5th I went out again and was driving in a playa, going offroad to explore by the bordering mountains -- and an emergency broadcast came over the radio about thunderstorms - flash floods - and hail. I looked up and saw those clouds just coming over the peaks to the north of me so got in my car and hightailed it back at 70 miles an hour....and it caught up with me even at that speed. I was just going uphill when the first raindrop hit my car.........skidded into pavement just in time to avoid a downpour that would have had me sunk and stranded.

    Exciting day - but disappointed I had to go home. The lake in the driveway here is drying up nicely today. Tomorrow I'll wash the floors. LOL.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10155398].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Sal - did your house flood? (floors)

      Younger son drove through hours of severe storms coming here from Atlanta Thursday - said he was ready to pull off and get a room when he finally started coming out of the heavy rain on I-75.

      It was odd weather here on July 3 - we were having a huge party here - indoors and outdoors. Overcast but balmy and pleasant.

      The little down 10 miles north of us had 4 inches of rain in a couple hours - roads were flooded - rain continued for hours and never reached us. Sort of went north and south of us. Entire weekend was like that - no matter where we were - the bad weather was a few miles away. Lucky weekend for us!
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      My mind still thinks I'm 25.
      My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10155775].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Sal - did your house flood? (floors)

        Younger son drove through hours of severe storms coming here from Atlanta Thursday - said he was ready to pull off and get a room when he finally started coming out of the heavy rain on I-75.

        It was odd weather here on July 3 - we were having a huge party here - indoors and outdoors. Overcast but balmy and pleasant.

        The little down 10 miles north of us had 4 inches of rain in a couple hours - roads were flooded - rain continued for hours and never reached us. Sort of went north and south of us. Entire weekend was like that - no matter where we were - the bad weather was a few miles away. Lucky weekend for us!
        No - but the driveway/parking (which is about 1/4 of an acre) slopes toward the house a little bit and there's always a lake between the parking areas and house when it rains. I'm on a hill so it sloughs off fast - but creates a mud bog. There's boards down right now to walk on so you can get in the house without sinking but you have to be careful where you park if you want to get back out during or after a heavy rain.

        Hey Snacks - that avatar is the softer side if Suzanne.
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10156301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SnackMemory
    RIP to that guy who died... As for me I had an enjoyable and safe holiday WATCHING and listening to fireworks bursting in the air.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10155837].message }}

Trending Topics