Tony Robbins believes some people are not cut out for busines

by Zodiax
50 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Wow I'm shocked.

Tony Robbins the 'yes you can' man says that some people just aren't cut out to run their own businesses.

Its in the first few minutes...... Not necessary to watch the rest.

https://youtu.be/f-bwFEnCOOs
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    No interest in watching it, but I agree 100% with the premise.

    Entrepreneurship takes a special breed. It requires a tremendous amount of patience, sacrifice, creativity, thick skin and flexibility.

    I've said it often here. The world needs service workers. Most people are not cut out for running the show.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10223487].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10223513].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        You know I look at everyone and think anyone can do anything they put their mind to.
        Possibly the greatest myth of all time. Some people don't even have the mental capacity to muster a dry fart.

        It's an unfortunate fact of life that we are limited by our mental, physical, and emotional dispositions. The best we can do is develop enough self awareness to understand our strengths and weaknesses and find our most effective lot in life, but the vast majority of us cannot do anything we put our minds to. I, for one, would have loved to play linebacker in the NFL, but no matter how much effort I put in, it was never going to happen.
        Signature

        If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10223695].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        You know I look at everyone and think anyone can do anything they put their mind to.
        A ludicrous premise. Open your eyes and look at the world around you. Some people have difficulty dressing themselves in the morning and not everyone can make it through college or even learn to drive safely.

        You must be very young to be so oblivious to reality.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224011].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224189].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          OP says in this thread:

          You know I look at everyone and think anyone can do anything they put their mind to.
          Same day in another thread, he says:

          Because it is impossible for everyone to be successful at MLM.
          It is mathematically built on the failures of other people.
          That is why it has a bad name. It is a legal way to abuse people.
          The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind...
          Signature
          Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

          Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224203].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            OP says in this thread:



            Same day in another thread, he says:



            The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind...
            You got the time frame wrong kay.

            I posted this thread yesterday.

            That post was made today.

            Also I think you and me BOTH know that mlm isn't the only business model.

            Don't be such a hard nose.


            Signature

            'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
            -Muhammad Ali

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224249].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Anne13
        Maybe the missing link - is the burning desire that will outrun virtually all challenges. Read Percy Ross:Ask for the Moon and Get It
        Signature


        Free videos: How to start earning quickly from Youtube
        www.developonlinesuccess.com/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224206].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Anne13 View Post

          Maybe the missing link - is the burning desire that will outrun virtually all challenges. Read Percy Ross:Ask for the Moon and Get It
          By 'virtually all' I'm assuming you mean, 'some - if you are lucky.'

          We don't do 'pie-in-the-sky,' here. Well, most of us don't. At least those of us that have been alive long enough to know better.

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224260].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
          Originally Posted by Anne13 View Post

          Maybe the missing link - is the burning desire that will outrun virtually all challenges. Read Percy Ross:Ask for the Moon and Get It
          Try telling that to someone who has down syndrome.

          There are limits to everything, even asking for the moon and getting it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10234747].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author discrat
            Originally Posted by Floyd Fisher View Post

            Try telling that to someone who has down syndrome.

            There are limits to everything, even asking for the moon and getting it.
            Exactly, or someone who is in the ending stages of ALS
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10234883].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
              Originally Posted by Floyd Fisher View Post

              Try telling that to someone who has down syndrome.

              There are limits to everything, even asking for the moon and getting it.
              Originally Posted by discrat View Post

              Exactly, or someone who is in the ending stages of ALS
              Guys, I get your point, but you obscure the issue by implying that mental impairment is a prominent reason for lack of business acumen.

              I would respectfully argue that the ability to succeed is a rare gift, and/or a highly practiced skill. Most people who would try don't fail because they are mentally deficient, but because they are unable or unwilling to apply themselves to a task that requires extraordinary sacrifice compared to, say, selling jeans at the Gap.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10234889].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author discrat
                Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

                Guys, I get your point, but you obscure the issue by implying that mental impairment is a prominent reason for lack of business acumen.

                I would respectfully argue that the ability to succeed is a rare gift, and/or a highly practiced skill. Most people who would try don't fail because they are mentally deficient, but because they are unable or unwilling to apply themselves to a task that requires extraordinary sacrifice compared to, say, selling jeans at the Gap.
                Jack,
                I hear you. And you point out some credible points

                But I will say with ALS it doesn't touch the Mind at all. No mental impairment. Thats one of the sad things about this terrible disease. ALS patients remain sharp as a tool while they see the horrors of their physical body deteriorate to the extent that they eventually cant breath on their own.

                Really horrible thing and hopefully in the next 10 year they come close to finding a cure for this nasty disease
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10234903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Some people will never be in the NFL or NBA.

    I have no idea why this would surprise anyone.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10223530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      No, this was taken out of context, he said that 80% of businesses disappear within 5 years and 96% over 10.

      So on that premise everyone should go and go direct marketing, as the interviewer is in to.

      Direct marketing sounds suspiciously like, (MLM) but he is probably referring to drop shipping, etc.


      Or in other words, this video is suttle advertising, and go buy my s***, so when you most likely fail within 10 years, l can make a buck from you!


      But l do agree not everyone can persist for those times frames, and pull it off, not with most of your so called friends disappearing and your family shaking their heads, because their world revolves around a job!


      I have spent 7.5 years online, and am slowing building an income, and a substantial one eventually.

      But have spent about almost 10 years offline trying to create a successful business.

      So, l dont agree with Tony on this one, he seems to be leading the viewer into that particular business model.

      Success is just persistence, and learning from your failures!

      Persist for long enough, and you will find something that works! Then learn how to create wealth from it!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10223636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Tony is right in what he says. Most people are better off working for a boss than striking out for themselves because don't have the abilities and motivation needed to do so.

    To be a successful self-employed person you need: patience, focus, persistence, a thick skin, the ability to get up every time you get knocked down, support from family and friends...and much, much more.

    If you don't have all of these qualities, you should go work for a boss and get a regular salary.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224099].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      Tony is right in what he says. Most people are better off working for a boss than striking out for themselves because don't have the abilities and motivation needed to do so.

      To be a successful self-employed person you need: patience, focus, persistence, a thick skin, the ability to get up every time you get knocked down, support from family and friends...and much, much more.

      If you don't have all of these qualities, you should go work for a boss and get a regular salary.
      I agree with everything you said, laurence except the support of friends!

      Try and become successful for 5 years or more without much success, and most of your, friends will do a runner!

      Most assume that if you don't achieve something noteworthy within 5 years, then you are a lost cause and will spend the rest of your life trying, and end up with nothing!

      Or the usual, if l quite this job, and strive to achieve wealth, then l will end up old, broke and have nothing to show for all of my endeavors!

      Or they let their fear or family or friends fear make the decision for them?


      Unfortunately a reasonably safe, secure job, will typically give most men in AU, about 100k, on retirement.

      And the majority will spend that, or give it to family, and go on the pension. Then live in a house, that they own, or probably rent, that is falling apart, try to survive on the gov, pittance, get their electricity shut off, since it shows no signs of decreasing, and the list goes on!

      Albeit, most will keep their power on, but survive in the meantime, with zero backup plans!

      Some plan!!!

      I agree that in the short term, going overseas every year, and p*** away a few hundred on a restaurant outing every week, has its positives.

      But long term?

      I might be seen as a tortoise by my family members at the moment, but will end up winning the race in the end!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Signature
    Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
    Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    @Shane, I think the "friends and support" thing is probably subjective. I only keep in touch with a small handful of friends and only have parents and a sister here in Melbourne. My sister is happy I can make money working from home on top of my disability pension. My parents are supportive as well. The few friends I am closest to are more than happy for me, but I don't see them very often anyway.

    None of the people I know have ever said I am a fool for being a writer. I wouldn't listen if they did anyway.

    As for my retirement, I will go from disability to age pension in 14 years but will keep writing as long as I have sight in my good eye and fingers to type and a brain that works. Although I am not allowed to earn a lot "officially," I do ok and have been doing this for 5.5 years now so I have broken the 5 year barrier and am VERY happy about that.

    Mind you, a lot of my money goes towards medical bills too. But I still do ok.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      @Shane, I think the "friends and support" thing is probably subjective. I only keep in touch with a small handful of friends and only have parents and a sister here in Melbourne. My sister is happy I can make money working from home on top of my disability pension. My parents are supportive as well. The few friends I am closest to are more than happy for me, but I don't see them very often anyway.

      None of the people I know have ever said I am a fool for being a writer. I wouldn't listen if they did anyway.

      As for my retirement, I will go from disability to age pension in 14 years but will keep writing as long as I have sight in my good eye and fingers to type and a brain that works. Although I am not allowed to earn a lot "officially," I do ok and have been doing this for 5.5 years now so I have broken the 5 year barrier and am VERY happy about that.

      Mind you, a lot of my money goes towards medical bills too. But I still do ok.
      If you really want it bad enough, you will write that best seller.

      If there is someone doing something you aren't, find out what they are doing and copy it.
      Signature

      'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
      -Muhammad Ali

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224393].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        If you really want it bad enough, you will write that best seller.
        The tragic thing about your post, you probably believe that bullshit. lol

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224492].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          The tragic thing about your post, you probably believe that bullshit. lol

          Cheers. - Frank
          You should be a motivational speaker.
          Signature

          'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
          -Muhammad Ali

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224660].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kurt
            Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

            You should be a motivational speaker.
            So should Tony Robbins.
            Signature
            Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
            Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224672].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

            You should be a motivational speaker.
            I am one. You just haven't read enough of my posts. I motivate people to stop spewing tripe. :-)

            Cheers. - Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224678].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

              I am one. You just haven't read enough of my posts. I motivate people to stop spewing tripe. :-)

              Cheers. - Frank
              That's because it's not up to your high standards.

              I mourn the lack of Whit on this forum
              Signature

              Where ever you go, there you are.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224702].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                Banned
                Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                That's because it's not up to your high standards.
                Few things are. I set my bar very high. One more thing that separates me from the masses. :-)

                Cheers. - Frank
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224882].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author David Beroff
            Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

            You should be a motivational speaker.
            Signature
            Put MY voice on YOUR video: AwesomeAmericanAudio.com
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224706].message }}
  • The difference between belief and delusion is so often a break of luck or unluck.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    Tony Robbins the 'yes you can' man says that some people just aren't cut out to run their own businesses.
    In further shocking revelations:

    SUN RISES IN EAST, SETS IN WEST;

    WOMEN HAVE DIFFERENT BODY FEATURES TO MEN;

    POLITICIANS TELL LIES;

    FISH LIVE IN WATER;

    EVERYBODY HATES CLAUDE;

    etc., etc..
    Signature
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

      In further shocking revelations:

      WOMEN HAVE DIFFERENT BODY FEATURES TO MEN;
      .
      Bruce Jenner didn't get the memo.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224819].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        Wow I'm shocked.
        Tony Robbins the 'yes you can' man says that some people just aren't cut out to run their own businesses.
        Context. He's promoting network marketing in the (network marketing sponsored) interview.

        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        You should be a motivational speaker.
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        So should Tony Robbins.
        To be fair, Robbins always motivates me to click away from any video he's in.

        .
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224853].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

          You know I look at everyone and think anyone can do anything they put their mind to.
          Every time I see this jargon spewed from people's mouths it makes me cringe.

          And believe me I am one of those guys who believe if you put your Mind to it you can do some things
          ( for some people great things)

          There are three kinds of people who you will hear this garbage come from their mouths

          1. Youngins fresh out of college or just regular folks in their 20s. Who are naive and haven't personally seen enough devastated situations with people. Time will cure that ( I think Zodiax may be guilty here )

          2. Hucksters. PERIOD !

          3. People who have worked hard ( or maybe not have worked hard lol) and made it big but some one hit them too hard in the head and now they have delusional grandiose feelings that everyone can just "do it" just like they did if they put their Mind to it.

          These people think they are being motivational saviors but really they are doing more harm than good in many instances!

          A lot of people fall for number 3
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224871].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            There are three kinds of people who you will hear this garbage come from their mouths

            1. Youngins fresh out of college or just regular folks in their 20s. Who are naive and haven't seen enough devastated situations with people. Time will cure that.
            These are the worst. Without a doubt.

            Cheers. - Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10224879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    This crap drives me nuts. I've been in this forum for 10 years and have seen all the droolers drifting through here talking about how people who are having a rough time need to get on their computer and make their own living. They listen to every self-proclaimed "guru" online who tells them anyone can do it (for the price of their program, of course) - and when it comes to the figures that over 95% fail - it never strikes them that maybe, just maybe it's because everyone can't do it. Some people can't do anything with clarity unless someone points directly to a task and tells them to "do that".

    Yes I know - quantum physics says we shape our own reality - but it also tells us that you have to be able to harmonize with energies and if you don't have what it takes to "harmonize", you're doing what is called dreaming. Sure - go "harmonize" with a multi-million dollar a year CEO. If you don't have the first bit of experience, don't know how to read the same info those people read - analyze the same data, etc -- how the hell do you consider yourself able to "harmonize" with anything that depends on that knowledge?

    Seriously. Even quantum mechanics have some rules people. I've watched people do everything from throw up their hands in frustration to get slapped with hefty lawsuits because they didn't understand one rat about what they were doing other than it was what they thought they wanted (and if they'd understood what it took, they might not even had that much in them), and they also thought that all they had to do to get it was "take action" (a phrase used so often it makes me want to puke) and want something bad enough".

    I thought "The Secret" was passe enough that people had recognized it for the obviously excellent marketing job it was. And.......that dude that the Secret had so many worshiping (wrote think and grow rich) died in poverty being supported by his pals. Yeah - knowing the "secret" works that well.

    Like we used to tell newbies on the forums who thought they were going to get rich just because they learned to post in a forum --- "If it were that easy, everyone would be stinking wealthy".
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225010].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lance K
      Sal refers to Napoleon Hill as that dude. I love it. I like "Think and Grow Rich". Just not nearly as much as some people. It's a good book, but far from one of the best business (or personal development) books I've read.
      Signature
      "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
      ~ Zig Ziglar
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225090].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

        Sal refers to Napoleon Hill as that dude. I love it. I like "Think and Grow Rich". Just not nearly as much as some people. It's a good book, but far from one of the best business (or personal development) books I've read.
        I have read very few books in this genre so I have little to compare it to, but I must say that it had a major impact on me and kept me focused which has always been difficult for me. I have always asked my new hires to read it and most have found it to have some impact on how they approach their work.

        I still read it at least once a year as the precepts fade over time.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225549].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          I have read very few books in this genre so I have little to compare it to, but I must say that it had a major impact on me and kept me focused which has always been difficult for me. I have always asked my new hires to read it and most have found it to have some impact on how they approach their work.

          I still read it at least once a year as the precepts fade over time.

          Cheers. - Frank
          I re-read it every few years or so and thanks for the reminder.

          Chapter 11 has always been one of my favorite chapters.


          http://eventualmillionaire.com/Resou...ndGrowRich.pdf
          Signature

          "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225631].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
            Banned
            Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

            I re-read it every few of years or so and thanks for the reminder.
            I live to serve. :-)

            Cheers. - Frank
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225640].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author discrat
              Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

              I live to serve. :-)

              Cheers. - Frank
              Then down on your knees, sir

              j/k
              I know that's inappropriate but couldn't resist
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225973].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                Banned
                Originally Posted by discrat View Post

                Then down on your knees, sir

                j/k
                I know that's inappropriate but couldn't resist
                That's OK. I have a comeback for everything. For this remark it would be, "I'll get on my knees when you get on your elbows."

                It's like I try to tell folks, "I can do this all day." :-)

                Cheers,

                Frank
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226184].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Lance K
          Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

          I have read very few books in this genre so I have little to compare it to, but I must say that it had a major impact on me and kept me focused which has always been difficult for me. I have always asked my new hires to read it and most have found it to have some impact on how they approach their work.

          I still read it at least once a year as the precepts fade over time.

          Cheers. - Frank
          Glad it helped you so much. I wasn't meaning to sound like I think it's a sub par book. I like to read, but struggle to focus at times too. And I read SLOW. So I tend to prefer shorter books. That said, I still reference TAGR from time to time.

          TAGR & Psycho Cybernetics have both helped me quite a bit. But I struggled to get through both due to their length.
          Signature
          "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
          ~ Zig Ziglar
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225921].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

      If you really want it bad enough, you will write that best seller.

      If there is someone doing something you aren't, find out what they are doing and copy it.
      [quote=discrat;10224871]Every time I see this jargon spewed from people's mouths it makes me cringe.

      And believe me I am one of those guys who believe if you put your Mind to it you can do some things
      ( for some people great things)


      1. Youngins fresh out of college or just regular folks in their 20s. Who are naive and haven't personally seen enough devastated situations with people. Time will cure that ( I think Zodiax may be guilty here )

      2. Hucksters. PERIOD ![quote]

      Yes, after years of reading every self help book around l came to the realization that they crapped on about being able to achieve anything, or do what you love and the money will magically appear, because it sold copies!

      I am passionate about Ceramics, but had to shelve that in 2008, because of the financial storm on the horizon.

      Other more talented ceramic artists were already seeing a $250 dollar hit to their weekly $1000 profits, at that point.

      So l went online instead. And am glad l didn't listen to the "do what you love, and it will work crowd". Since if l did, l l would probably be doing cremation jars full time, (only viable option if l continued with it) or selling Chinese ceramic products somewhere, (other reason l got out of it, can't compete with $2 an hour).

      And now l am doing flyers, and probably taking my efforts to the next level, or stand out more in the marketplace.

      Doing what l love, maybe, but it is a hell of a lot easier than physically staving away in a restricted market and hoping to make a name for myself in 10 years!


      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      This crap drives me nuts. I've been in this forum for 10 years and have seen all the droolers drifting through here talking about how people who are having a rough time need to get on their computer and make their own living. They listen to every self-proclaimed "guru" online who tells them anyone can do it (for the price of their program, of course) - and when it comes to the figures that over 95% fail - it never strikes them that maybe, just maybe it's because everyone can't do it. Some people can't do anything with clarity unless someone points directly to a task and tells them to "do that".

      Yes I know - quantum physics says we shape our own reality - but it also tells us that you have to be able to harmonize with energies and if you don't have what it takes to "harmonize", you're doing what is called dreaming. Sure - go "harmonize" with a multi-million dollar a year CEO. If you don't have the first bit of experience, don't know how to read the same info those people read - analyze the same data, etc -- how the hell do you consider yourself able to "harmonize" with anything that depends on that knowledge?

      Seriously. Even quantum mechanics have some rules people. I've watched people do everything from throw up their hands in frustration to get slapped with hefty lawsuits because they didn't understand one rat about what they were doing other than it was what they thought they wanted (and if they'd understood what it took, they might not even had that much in them), and they also thought that all they had to do to get it was "take action" (a phrase used so often it makes me want to puke) and want something bad enough".

      I thought "The Secret" was passe enough that people had recognized it for the obviously excellent marketing job it was. And.......that dude that the Secret had so many worshiping (wrote think and grow rich) died in poverty being supported by his pals. Yeah - knowing the "secret" works that well.

      Like we used to tell newbies on the forums who thought they were going to get rich just because they learned to post in a forum --- "If it were that easy, everyone would be stinking wealthy".
      Hmmm, sounds like you are talking about the newbies, who think that the next shiny object that allows them to make money by clicking the mouse a couple of times every day crowd?

      Then in 3 years time, they skulk back here, wishing that they built a real business, instead of shiny object seeking!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225093].message }}
    • Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      This crap drives me nuts. I've been in this forum for 10 years and have seen all the droolers drifting through here talking about how people who are having a rough time need to get on their computer and make their own living. They listen to every self-proclaimed "guru" online who tells them anyone can do it (for the price of their program, of course) - and when it comes to the figures that over 95% fail - it never strikes them that maybe, just maybe it's because everyone can't do it. Some people can't do anything with clarity unless someone points directly to a task and tells them to "do that".
      Point is, anyone here could be a SUPER MATHS WIZZO or a SHIT HOT AUTHOR or a 25-FINGERED CONCERT PIANIST MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD DRIBBLE IT'S FRICKIN' KNICKERS if only they'd thinkulate positive, drill down and apply themselves, and chase their dream till they could cup it in their hands like a butterfly.

      Problem is, most of us ain't got a zillion years to pick up on most of this stuff.

      I COULD make the Super Maths Wizzo deal, but right now I see no way of hitting my 750th birthday tooled up with Calculus Fiend knowhow.

      That's why I'm here on a writing ticket.

      Showed some natch early on, kinda liked it, and threw in the time to get better.

      No time or point for anything else, and I guess I got lucky along the way by having some freedom to pursue my goal/potential.

      If this dies, maybe I'll go model boots as a fallback.

      But not the concert pianist deal, huh?

      That's gonna take anaaaaaaaage, and maybe it still won't work out...

      "Balestra's stunning command of Mozart's piano concertos capitivated everyone in the Carnegie Hall and made the $25,000 entrance fee seem like a freebie. Sadly, when her one remaining tooth fell out, and she paused for 20 minutes to mumble to an apparition from her childhood, the audience could suffer the smell of her decaying flesh no longer -- and fled."
      Signature

      Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225355].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        "Balestra's stunning command of Mozart's piano concertos capitivated everyone in the Carnegie Hall and made the $25,000 entrance fee seem like a freebie. Sadly, when her one remaining tooth fell out, and she paused for 20 minutes to mumble to an apparition from her childhood, the audience could suffer the smell of her decaying flesh no longer -- and fled."
        WHAT!!!

        But l get the tooth one, not advisable to try to eat a bag of lollies with a dodgy tooth, unless you want part of it wrapped around a sour caterpillar?

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
        Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

        Point is, anyone here could be a SUPER MATHS WIZZO or a SHIT HOT AUTHOR or a 25-FINGERED CONCERT PIANIST MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD DRIBBLE IT'S FRICKIN' KNICKERS if only they'd thinkulate positive, drill down and apply themselves, and chase their dream till they could cup it in their hands like a butterfly.

        Problem is, most of us ain't got a zillion years to pick up on most of this stuff.

        I COULD make the Super Maths Wizzo deal, but right now I see no way of hitting my 750th birthday tooled up with Calculus Fiend knowhow.

        That's why I'm here on a writing ticket.

        Showed some natch early on, kinda liked it, and threw in the time to get better.

        No time or point for anything else, and I guess I got lucky along the way by having some freedom to pursue my goal/potential.

        If this dies, maybe I'll go model boots as a fallback.

        But not the concert pianist deal, huh?

        That's gonna take anaaaaaaaage, and maybe it still won't work out...

        "Balestra's stunning command of Mozart's piano concertos capitivated everyone in the Carnegie Hall and made the $25,000 entrance fee seem like a freebie. Sadly, when her one remaining tooth fell out, and she paused for 20 minutes to mumble to an apparition from her childhood, the audience could suffer the smell of her decaying flesh no longer -- and fled."
        With a tagline under your name as "what's the point",

        I can see why you aren't a math wizo or anything else for that matter.
        Signature

        'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
        -Muhammad Ali

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225388].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

          I can see why you aren't a math wizo or anything else for that matter.
          And I can see why you'll never be a math wizo or anything else for that matter.

          You're delusional - and that must be true as I believe it so strongly. :-)

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225555].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post


        Hmmm, sounds like you are talking about the newbies, who think that the next shiny object that allows them to make money by clicking the mouse a couple of times every day crowd?

        Then in 3 years time, they skulk back here, wishing that they built a real business, instead of shiny object seeking!

        Possibly. I'm talking about all those that watched "The Secret" and think that as long as they want something and are pounding keys that's enough to do great things. Other factors like education are all beside the point. They totally missed the point that actually learning different aspects of business management might just be a necessity of owning a business. They completely missed the fact that those people who are so successful online are pretty sharp cookies who either were or would have eventually been successful in business offline, too, because they had the education and background for it. I always considered that part of "taking action", and always figured plagiarism to be avoiding doing so.

        As far as your ceramics love. I can empathize. I can make a partial living at what I love most - but have to supplement, and unless I were able, in this economy while supporting myself on my own, come up with major investment bucks am relegated to other means. I just feel fortunate that I have several interests and likes instead of just the one.


        Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post


        That's gonna take anaaaaaaaage, and maybe it still won't work out...

        "Balestra's stunning command of Mozart's piano concertos capitivated everyone in the Carnegie Hall and made the $25,000 entrance fee seem like a freebie. Sadly, when her one remaining tooth fell out, and she paused for 20 minutes to mumble to an apparition from her childhood, the audience could suffer the smell of her decaying flesh no longer — and fled."
        Now, that's funny, I don't care who ya are.
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226126].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

          Possibly. I'm talking about all those that watched "The Secret" and think that as long as they want something and are pounding keys that's enough to do great things. Other factors like education are all beside the point. They totally missed the point that actually learning different aspects of business management might just be a necessity of owning a business. They completely missed the fact that those people who are so successful online are pretty sharp cookies who either were or would have eventually been successful in business offline, too, because they had the education and background for it. I always considered that part of "taking action", and always figured plagiarism to be avoiding doing so.

          As far as your ceramics love. I can empathize. I can make a partial living at what I love most - but have to supplement, and unless I were able, in this economy while supporting myself on my own, come up with major investment bucks am relegated to other means. I just feel fortunate that I have several interests and likes instead of just the one.




          Now, that's funny, I don't care who ya are.
          Yes, Sal, watched the secret more times than l care to mention, even ran into the guy who talked about driving his BMW into the Casino, parking space every time near the door, using the secret six sense trick.

          Well l saw him at a coffee shop chatting up someone, and getting pitchfork glances from people walking past, (his name was dragged through the mud, because he wouldn't pay some of his customers back).

          The secret is good, and brilliantly marketed, but it does leave gaps, the law of karma, being one.

          In all honesty l can't see the benefit in getting a digree or Diploma in business, unless you use it to get a job?

          I recently got a Certificate 5 in small business, and it is next to useless, unless l write a book on how to sit properly at a computer screen or that you should take microbreaks every 5 minutes, blah, blah. In other works if you feel fatigued take a break!

          But l did do a gov, funded small business startup course, for a year. It was good to learn how to speak in front of a group, and business basics, but overall, useless!

          Most of the time he, (a successful business owner) talked about getting a registered trademark, that was also a waste of time and useless.

          I spent a good week or so creating one for my product business, to keep him happy, but in the end without something that is scalable and profitable it is a waste of time!

          He also went into how Facebook was created, etc. But NEVER, how we could pull it off!

          This is what me and Frank are trying to say on the other thread, theory is useless, a nice peace of paper on the wall, is useless, but failure and experience,...priceless!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226176].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HeySal
            Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

            Yes, Sal, watched the secret more times than l care to mention, even ran into the guy who talked about driving his BMW into the Casino, parking space every time near the door, using the secret six sense trick.

            Well l saw him at a coffee shop chatting up someone, and getting pitchfork glances from people walking past, (his name was dragged through the mud, because he wouldn't pay some of his customers back).

            The secret is good, and brilliantly marketed, but it does leave gaps, the law of karma, being one.

            In all honesty l can't see the benefit in getting a digree or Diploma in business, unless you use it to get a job?

            I recently got a Certificate 5 in small business, and it is next to useless, unless l write a book on how to sit properly at a computer screen or that you should take microbreaks every 5 minutes, blah, blah. In other works if you feel fatigued take a break!

            But l did do a gov, funded small business startup course, for a year. It was good to learn how to speak in front of a group, and business basics, but overall, useless!

            Most of the time he, (a successful business owner) talked about getting a registered trademark, that was also a waste of time and useless.

            I spent a good week or so creating one for my product business, to keep him happy, but in the end without something that is scalable and profitable it is a waste of time!

            He also went into how Facebook was created, etc. But NEVER, how we could pull it off!

            This is what me and Frank are trying to say on the other thread, theory is useless, a nice peace of paper on the wall, is useless, but failure and experience,...priceless!

            I get that. Business majors were a running joke at the university I attended. Everything was pretty black and white. I took a public relations course once. Only class I ever dropped. Everything was common sense - at least to me. Since I was there to actually learn something rather than just get easy grades, I dropped it. I also took a 2 week course in double entry bookkeeping. Can't remember if I learned anything from it or not, but I can keep books so maybe. I can also do some costing accounting and never took a course in that so maybe not.

            Then too, I taught a speech class, and think people can use that. It teaches people to think on their feet, inures them to addressing people (which is important if you ask me), makes them organize thoughts and enforces impromptu logical thinking.

            Anything you need to know that's black and white, you should be able to learn on your own if you can read or know where to get the info. For example, not sure about copyright - you can look it up online, etc.

            What The Secret left out that I found an important omission was that you can "take action" from now until eternity - but if you don't understand the principles of what you are doing it's not called "taking action", it's called "wasted energy".
            Signature

            Sal
            When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
            Beyond the Path

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226247].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
              Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

              I get that. Business majors were a running joke at the university I attended. Everything was pretty black and white. I took a public relations course once. Only class I ever dropped. Everything was common sense - at least to me. Since I was there to actually learn something rather than just get easy grades, I dropped it. I also took a 2 week course in double entry bookkeeping. Can't remember if I learned anything from it or not, but I can keep books so maybe. I can also do some costing accounting and never took a course in that so maybe not.

              Anything you need to know that's black and white, you should be able to learn on your own if you can read or know where to get the info. For example, not sure about copyright - you can look it up online, etc.

              What The Secret left out that I found an important omission was that you can "take action" from now until eternity - but if you don't understand the principles of what you are doing it's not called "taking action", it's called "wasted energy".
              Yes, l spent 8 months or a few hours, (2 days a week) learning a lot of See Spot Run crap, and was relieved to get it finished.

              Most of it was occupation health and safety, which is probably the most boring subject in human history!

              But l agree that some education is beneficial, my 2 years in Art and Design, in the 80's was great and almost lead to a job. I have a lot of fond memories during that time, and l believe that it is helping me now with flyer designs.

              But would l go and do a 1 to 3 year Diploma in art and design now, no way!

              It might be beneficial and in some ways fun, but it also takes up a lot of valuable time.


              I think that l understand the wasting energy point. I know someone in Graphicriver, that moans about only making pocket money and churning out designs.

              He also keeps moaning about how Elite authors are making serious money over there.

              He has tried to take bigger risks with his flyers, but can't seem to do a large number of high sellers.

              I have studied the high flyers and they tend to do 5 star hotel type designs, instead of local party ones.

              Pretty easy to figure that out, do 5 star, lavish designs, for the same price as the cheaper looking ones, and sell more?

              But he would rather moan, about how the elite authors have a magic wand or have a crystal ball on standby.

              I am slowly moving in that direction, so hopefully he might learn from my example?

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bojan92
    Some people are just not made to run a business. You have to have many capabilities to run your own business. Also you need very thick skin and very deep pockets or a lot of time to build a good and respectable business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10225952].message }}

Trending Topics