Obama to test wilderness skills on Bear Grylls TV show

26 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I assumed that this was from the Onion when I first saw the headline. If they (the Onion) don't jump on this story, they might as well hang it up altogether.

Obama to test wilderness skills on Bear Grylls TV show | Reuters

Let's keep politics out of this thread, ok? Please?
  • Profile picture of the author butters
    I'm sure he will have a tough challenge being surrounded by armed forces who are better trained than Bear Grylls in the middle of some jungle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Beroff
      Originally Posted by butters View Post

      ...being surrounded by armed forces...
      Wait... protecting him or the ones on the other team?
      Signature
      Put MY voice on YOUR video: AwesomeAmericanAudio.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252527].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author butters
        Originally Posted by David Beroff View Post

        Wait... protecting him or the ones on the other team?
        Protecting him obviously.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Well, I have seen sites showing REAL comparisons between putin and bo.., and they don't make bo.. look good! I found myself rooting for Putin, and that is BAAAAD! IRONIC, but BAD!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    After dealing with Congress, this should be a doddle for him.
    Signature
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252860].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
      Dang, I can't say anything!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10252920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        "test wilderness skills"

        golf
        riding bicycle with helmet

        j/k - he probably has the same skills as many other celebrities who do that show

        I think a documentary with Obama and an Alaskan wilderness expert could be a strong statement on climate change - and interesting to watch, too. I like Bear Grylls but he's not from the US and not from Alaska. Why not utilize the experience of those wilderness experts who live in that state?

        Due to security involved I can't imagine a standard "Bear" show where people cook bugs in their urine or rappel down 200 foot cliffs - or climb rock faces, etc. Bet SS agents are nervous about it!
        Signature
        Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist
        All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10253574].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          "test wilderness skills"

          golf
          riding bicycle with helmet

          j/k - he probably has the same skills as many other celebrities who do that show

          I think a documentary with Obama and an Alaskan wilderness expert could be a strong statement on climate change - and interesting to watch, too. I like Bear Grylls but he's not from the US and not from Alaska. Why not utilize the experience of those wilderness experts who live in that state?

          Due to security involved I can't imagine a standard "Bear" show where people cook bugs in their urine or rappel down 200 foot cliffs - or climb rock faces, etc. Bet SS agents are nervous about it!
          The first Bear show I saw was in the Catskill's about 60 miles from me. Turns out that is where he set up his survival school. SURVIVAL IN THE CATSKILLS | Bear Grylls Survival Academy
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254030].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            I think that would be a great course - I really like Bear and enjoy his show and his personality.

            Where else but in the US would people rush to pay $2200 to be uncomfortable?

            Bear's home is UK - where he's gotten a bit of bad press lately

            Bear Grylls hits back at critics who slammed him for abandoning son, 11, on rocks during training exercise - Mirror Online

            I tend to agree with Bear about kids taking chances. If a child never climbs - he'll never fall. But he'll never learn to climb, either. I think being a son of Bear Grylls could be a challenging position to fill.
            Signature
            Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist
            All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254041].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ThomM
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

              I think that would be a great course - I really like Bear and enjoy his show and his personality.

              Where else but in the US would people rush to pay $2200 to be uncomfortable?

              Bear's home is UK - where he's gotten a bit of bad press lately

              Bear Grylls hits back at critics who slammed him for abandoning son, 11, on rocks during training exercise - Mirror Online

              I tend to agree with Bear about kids taking chances. If a child never climbs - he'll never fall. But he'll never learn to climb, either. I think being a son of Bear Grylls could be a challenging position to fill.
              Crazy ain't it?
              I've never done much camping in the Catskills. I learned survival skills in the Boy Scouts and used those skills when I'd go camping in the Adirondacks. Primitive camping is actually pretty big in the Adirondacks and Catskills.
              The area of the Catskills Bear was in on his show is relatively close to Woodstock and Hunter Mt.
              Something people from outside NY tend not to get is how much actual wilderness we have here.
              Signature

              Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
              Getting old ain't for sissy's
              As you are I was, as I am you will be
              You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254095].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ky999
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          "test wilderness skills"

          golf
          riding bicycle with helmet

          j/k - he probably has the same skills as many other celebrities who do that show

          I think a documentary with Obama and an Alaskan wilderness expert could be a strong statement on climate change - and interesting to watch, too. I like Bear Grylls but he's not from the US and not from Alaska. Why not utilize the experience of those wilderness experts who live in that state?

          Due to security involved I can't imagine a standard "Bear" show where people cook bugs in their urine or rappel down 200 foot cliffs - or climb rock faces, etc. Bet SS agents are nervous about it!
          I was thinking the same thing about him doing this kind of adventure. I am wondering why he didn't wait until he retired from his current job so it would be less security involved. I reckon they had to keep it all secret until after the filming. Just curious, if Obama waited until after his presidency, would there have to be any security involved - or very much? Obama has done a lot of weird things, but I guess it's because of the changing times.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254162].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ThomM
            Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

            Grylls is very likely the most disliked, least respected "survival guru" among survivalists. I know Ray Mears doesn't like him at all.


            I don't mind Grylls, but he's really more of an adventurist and extreme sports guy than a survivalist. He takes far too many risks than he needs to, and following what he does isn't sound survival advice. But, it does make for good TV if nothing else.
            Defiantly agree with that. Though I got to say watching him sleep with a sheep last night was pretty amusing.

            Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

            Rumors are, Kurt just got back from having lunch at A & W. He says the root beer tastes a lot better than drinking your own urine at of a freshly skinned snake skin.
            The closest A&W to me burned down a couple months ago so I only got one visit in this season The next closest one is about 100 miles (or so) away in Middlebury Vt. It's a nice ride but they have a bee problem there that they can't get rid off. You literally have to swipe the bees off your frosted mug and check your food carefully before you can take a drink or bite.
            Signature

            Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
            Getting old ain't for sissy's
            As you are I was, as I am you will be
            You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254176].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              I missed the sheep one! Baaaad me.

              What makes Grylls popular is his positive, low key personality, I think. He's had several TV shows so he is in many ways an "adventurous entertainer". That said, I have no doubt the man could survive on his own in the wilderness. He might not use the exact skills others use - but he's no novice.

              It's one thing to listen to some guy's stories about surviving in the wild or climbing a rock face...quite another to see the physical effort needed to do it. Even if you are sitting on the couch watching that 'effort'.

              I would think experts don't like Grylls because he makes these adventures look possible for regular people. I hope he knows what he's doing with his boys, though. I can say from experience that when you encourage kids to take chances they make take more than you planned. That's how I got a son who flew into hurricanes for 16+ years.
              Signature
              Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist
              All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255362].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                I missed the sheep one! Baaaad me.

                What makes Grylls popular is his positive, low key personality, I think. He's had several TV shows so he is in many ways an "adventurous entertainer". That said, I have no doubt the man could survive on his own in the wilderness. He might not use the exact skills others use - but he's no novice.

                It's one thing to listen to some guy's stories about surviving in the wild or climbing a rock face...quite another to see the physical effort needed to do it. Even if you are sitting on the couch watching that 'effort'.

                I would think experts don't like Grylls because he makes these adventures look possible for regular people. I hope he knows what he's doing with his boys, though. I can say from experience that when you encourage kids to take chances they make take more than you planned. That's how I got a son who flew into hurricanes for 16+ years.
                It isn't that Grylss doesn't have skills. Again, it's that he's supposed to be teaching "survival", which by definition means reducing, not increasing, risk.


                It's also because of things like staying in a hotel while filming "Man vs. Wild" as well as hiding a life jacket under his shirt what floating down a river. Not a good thing when actually teaching survival. If you have to hide a life jacket to help you stay safe, maybe the best advice would be to warn viewers not to do this at all, let alone with a life jacker.


                I think his appeal has more to do with things like taking extreme risks and doing extreme things, drinking his own urine and eating gross things, not to mention the time he gave himself an enema on Man vs. Wild to hydrate himself with brackish water. I'd have been OK if he'd just told us about it.


                And it's one thing to give credit to Bear for "surviving" when the two people I mentioned actually live that lifestyle. Les Stroud not only teaches survival, he lived for a year in the wilderness. He also goes out alone for 7-10 days and does all the filming himself, not easy toting 70lbs of camera gear.


                Matt Graham doesn't just teach survival skills on TV, he has lived a primitive lifestyle for decades. He once raced against something like 38 horses in a long distance race and beat all but two of the horses. He's also a world class atlatl thrower. He's every bit as "laid back and positive" as Grylls.


                Grylls is a great athlete, but not many people are able to climb waterfalls if they get lost in the woods. And hiding a life jacket under your clothes while floating down a river is just plain wrong and gives people ideas they probably shouldn't have.

                Creek Stewart is also a great teacher of nature survival skills. He has a show on Weather Channel called "Fat Guys in the Woods" where he takes 3 fat, out of shape guys out for 4-5 days with minimal gear. They learn a lot about themselves in those situations.
                Signature
                The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
                Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255419].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                  it's that he's supposed to be teaching "survival", which by definition means reducing, not increasing, risk.
                  Grylls is promoted as an "adventurer" time after time - not as a "survivalist". The difference between him and the other two you mention may be they show how to survive - Grylls seems to be having great fun.

                  British adventurer, writer and television presenter.
                  Graham has a TV show - "Matt Graham is a specialist in "primitive skills" and a television personality who co-hosts the Discovery Channel reality show Dual Survival".

                  Creek Stewart has a show on The Weather Channel (Fat Guys in the Woods - sounds like a good show) and is promoted as a 'survivalist'.

                  Can't help but notice all three of these men earn a living through their special "skills" - and this sounds like argument over who has the biggest survival cojones. The real fuss may be who gets the biggest audience....

                  I couldn't keep up with any one of them!
                  Signature
                  Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist
                  All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255534].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                    Grylls is promoted as an "adventurer" time after time - not as a "survivalist". The difference between him and the other two you mention may be they show how to survive - Grylls seems to be having great fun.

                    Graham has a TV show - "Matt Graham is a specialist in "primitive skills" and a television personality who co-hosts the Discovery Channel reality show Dual Survival".

                    Creek Stewart has a show on The Weather Channel (Fat Guys in the Woods - sounds like a good show) and is promoted as a 'survivalist'.

                    Can't help but notice all three of these men earn a living through their special "skills" - and this sounds like argument over who has the biggest survival cojones. The real fuss may be who gets the biggest audience....

                    I couldn't keep up with any one of them!

                    No need to bring male anatomy into the discussion, especially when your example couldn't be more wrong. Grylls has the biggest "conjones". That's not up for debate and for the third time that's the entire point. The other names I mentioned don't take those risks


                    And Grylls does promote himself as a survivalist. He has an entire product line of survival tool products with his name on them. I think they're made by Gerber.


                    I know Matt Graham HAD a TV show. Every name I brought up above either did or has one now. That was my point of comparison.


                    A well respected nature survival teacher that's not had a TV show would be someone like Mors Kochanski.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mors_Kochanski


                    Knowing how to build a Kochanski "Super Shelter" could save some lives and is far more useful for nature survival in cold climates that anything Grylls has demonstrated.


                    BTW, Dual Survival was cancelled. And, Matt Graham was also on Dude Your Screwed, another survival show.


                    You can defend Grylls all you want. But the fact is, he is the most disliked and least respected survival "celebrity" among his peers. Talk to them. I'm merely repeating THEIR opinion and already posted that I consider him more of an extreme sports guy than a survivalist.


                    And I already said I kind of like him, but I know enough about survival to know when he's full of crap. It's the kids that he influences that may not know better that are the main concern.
                    Signature
                    The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
                    Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255625].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
                  There should at least be a disclaimer about the life jacket. Like: "Used for safety during the filming of this example of something you might have to do in real life to survive." If that even fits. I did not see the show.

                  The other aspect that should be covered in these shows, if it is not, is being prepared in the first place.
                  I have a lot of guests come to climb the "easy" 14 thousand foot peaks nearby and quite a few are not prepared at all.

                  There's a guy named Bill Dvorak, who runs, or ran, a rafting company on the Arkansas river. I bet he could hold his own with any of them. One of the best men I've ever met.

                  Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

                  It isn't that Grylss doesn't have skills. Again, it's that he's supposed to be teaching "survival", which by definition means reducing, not increasing, risk.


                  It's also because of things like staying in a hotel while filming "Man vs. Wild" as well as hiding a life jacket under his shirt what floating down a river. Not a good thing when actually teaching survival. If you have to hide a life jacket to help you stay safe, maybe the best advice would be to warn viewers not to do this at all, let alone with a life jacker.


                  I think his appeal has more to do with things like taking extreme risks and doing extreme things, drinking his own urine and eating gross things, not to mention the time he gave himself an enema on Man vs. Wild to hydrate himself with brackish water. I'd have been OK if he'd just told us about it.


                  And it's one thing to give credit to Bear for "surviving" when the two people I mentioned actually live that lifestyle. Les Stroud not only teaches survival, he lived for a year in the wilderness. He also goes out alone for 7-10 days and does all the filming himself, not easy toting 70lbs of camera gear.


                  Matt Graham doesn't just teach survival skills on TV, he has lived a primitive lifestyle for decades. He once raced against something like 38 horses in a long distance race and beat all but two of the horses. He's also a world class atlatl thrower. He's every bit as "laid back and positive" as Grylls.


                  Grylls is a great athlete, but not many people are able to climb waterfalls if they get lost in the woods. And hiding a life jacket under your clothes while floating down a river is just plain wrong and gives people ideas they probably shouldn't have.

                  Creek Stewart is also a great teacher of nature survival skills. He has a show on Weather Channel called "Fat Guys in the Woods" where he takes 3 fat, out of shape guys out for 4-5 days with minimal gear. They learn a lot about themselves in those situations.
                  Signature

                  "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255643].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                    Originally Posted by bizgrower View Post

                    There should at least be a disclaimer about the life jacket. Like: "Used for safety during the filming of this example of something you might have to do in real life to survive." If that even fits. I did not see the show.

                    The other aspect that should be covered in these shows, if it is not, is being prepared in the first place.
                    I have a lot of guests come to climb the "easy" 14 thousand foot peaks nearby and quite a few are not prepared at all.

                    There's a guy named Bill Dvorak, who runs, or ran, a rafting company on the Arkansas river. I bet he could hold his own with any of them. One of the best men I've ever met.
                    In the very first show Grylls did for TV, he's shown running away from an unseen bear, in the mountains, in the middle of the night.


                    Rule number one in the mountains is you don't walk, let alone run around, in the dark. Your next step could be off a cliff. And you never run away from a bear. Grylls broke two rules of survival (and common sense) at the same time.


                    For hiking the 14ers (or any hike for that matter), I like Dave Canterbury's "5 Cs" for surviving. The 5 Cs are the minimum things you should take with you into nature:
                    Combustion
                    Cordage
                    Cover
                    Container
                    Cutting tool


                    He actually has 10 Cs too, but these five are essential.


                    BTW, Canterbury was one of the two original people on Dual Survival and has a good Youtube channel. He's on a new show that will start airing in a couple weeks called "Dirty Rotten Survival".


                    And speaking of 14ers...did you see where Longs Peak (a couple of miles from me) had a little snow a week or two ago? This is yet another reason flatlanders need to be prepared in the High Country.
                    Signature
                    The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
                    Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255666].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Synnuh
    This makes me sad. I actually like Bear Grylls. I hope it's fake.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10253590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    Obama versions of Bear Grylss endorsed products?
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10253915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Grylls is very likely the most disliked, least respected "survival guru" among survivalists. I know Ray Mears doesn't like him at all.


    I don't mind Grylls, but he's really more of an adventurist and extreme sports guy than a survivalist. He takes far too many risks than he needs to, and following what he does isn't sound survival advice. But, it does make for good TV if nothing else.
    Signature
    The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
    Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    PS. For real nature survival advice from TV gurus, I much prefer Les Stroud and Matt Graham.
    Signature
    The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
    Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254144].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      PS. For real nature survival advice from TV gurus, I much prefer Les Stroud and Matt Graham.
      When not picking on Claude, I hear that Kurt guy is pretty good.
      Signature

      "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254151].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by bizgrower View Post

        When not picking on Claude, I hear that Kurt guy is pretty good.
        Rumors are, Kurt just got back from having lunch at A & W. He says the root beer tastes a lot better than drinking your own urine out of a freshly skinned snake skin.
        Signature
        The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
        Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    Years ago, Kurt, I watched a survival show on probably PBS, and the man said the first thing to do in an emergency is secure shelter. While you have the energy, and then to help keep your body as warm and dry as possible. Probably one of the guys you've mentioned, but I don't recall his name.

    I did not catch that Long's had snow. The Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels had snow-must have been about that same time. I have mice trying to come inside already, and people have reported that Denver trees started changing colors about two weeks ago.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255736].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by bizgrower View Post

      Years ago, Kurt, I watched a survival show on probably PBS, and the man said the first thing to do in an emergency is secure shelter. While you have the energy, and then to help keep your body as warm and dry as possible. Probably one of the guys you've mentioned, but I don't recall his name.

      I did not catch that Long's had snow. The Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels had snow-must have been about that same time. I have mice trying to come inside already, and people have reported that Denver trees started changing colors about two weeks ago.
      I agree with shelter usually being the highest priority, although I'd add fire, so I'd say it's fire and shelter. They kind of go hand in hand.


      The thing about hiking above timber line is there aren't really any natural resources for fire and shelter. So if you go up there, you really need to take those things with you. A tarp, a couple of emergency mylar reflective blankets, a few long burning candles and a couple of bic lighters and strike anywhere matches are a good start and can all be bought for around $20 - $25.
      Signature
      The very best marketing info. No spam. No email. No BS. Plus lots more!
      Warrior Special Deal: get $5 off with this coupon: wfsocialdeal5
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10255763].message }}

Trending Topics