by ThomM
12 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Another great one gone.
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582464].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Another one of my Rock Idol's gone. Tis a sad day. Superb rock keyboardist, loved ELP.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582540].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Kieth Emerson's death is being investigated as a suicide due to the fact that he died of a single gunshot wound to the head. Shocking.

        Keith Emerson's Death Being Investigated as a Suicide | Billboard

        Added: I read somewhere else that he was recently diagnosed with a severe nerve disease and was losing his ability to play keyboards. I expect that was factor if so.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582615].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rritz
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Kieth Emerson's death is being investigated as a suicide due to the fact that he died of a single gunshot wound to the head. Shocking.

          Keith Emerson's Death Being Investigated as a Suicide | Billboard

          Added: I read somewhere else that he was recently diagnosed with a severe nerve disease and was losing his ability to play keyboards. I expect that was factor if so.
          I heard he was diagnosed with the desease some years ago, he had to cancel a lot of gigs back then. He was also very depressive if you can believe what media reports
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10585079].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Another one of my Rock Idol's gone. Tis a sad day. Superb rock keyboardist, loved ELP.
        If not for ELP I'm not sure I ever would of listened to classical music and enjoy it. I will admit though that I add in drums in my head with Carl Palmer in mind.
        I saw ELP in 73 on their Brain Salad Surgery tour with Black Oak Arkansas opening. One of the best shows I've ever seen.
        Emerson was a lunatic with his keyboards and synths. I remember him "walking" his Hammond B3 across the stage before stabbing it with a German dagger that Lemmy had given him.
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Another of the greats gone. It's even sadder that it was a suicide.

    This one seems appropriate:


    RIP Keith.
    Signature
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Interesting about ELP. They could do no wrong for years, culminating with Brain Salad Surgery, the masterwork. Then, their own studio's, Manticore burned to the ground. All the new material they had been working on was lost.

      So they disappeared for a couple of years, finally re-surfacing with the double album: "Works" Three sides of solo work and one with them together. Not a great idea, it had it's moments and a few hits. The thing is, by the time they had come back, the music industry and tastes of the public had moved on. Prog Rock was all but dead in the eyes of the public, punk was coming in. A sort of rebellion, back to three chord basic stuff that anyone could do.

      Works 2 was a single album of leftovers from Works. It did spawn the hit, I believe In Father Christmas.

      After that they sort of disappeared from view. Love Beach, another single album which I think they were contractually obliged to do was voted by many as the worst album ever made.

      What happened to these three creative virtuoso guys, gave up, ran out of juice? Always puzzled me. Perhaps the time of there genre came and went and they just threw in the towel. To my mind, creative groundbreaking music will always be appreciated as long as it is good. It should transcend anything mundane that's out there, like most of what's around now.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582863].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Interesting about ELP. They could do no wrong for years, culminating with Brain Salad Surgery, the masterwork. Then, their own studio's, Manticore burned to the ground. All the new material they had been working on was lost.

        So they disappeared for a couple of years, finally re-surfacing with the double album: "Works" Three sides of solo work and one with them together. Not a great idea, it had it's moments and a few hits. The thing is, by the time they had come back, the music industry and tastes of the public had moved on. Prog Rock was all but dead in the eyes of the public, punk was coming in. A sort of rebellion, back to three chord basic stuff that anyone could do.

        Works 2 was a single album of leftovers from Works. It did spawn the hit, I believe In Father Christmas.

        After that they sort of disappeared from view. Love Beach, another single album which I think they were contractually obliged to do was voted by many as the worst album ever made.

        What happened to these three creative virtuoso guys, gave up, ran out of juice? Always puzzled me. Perhaps the time of there genre came and went and they just threw in the towel. To my mind, creative groundbreaking music will always be appreciated as long as it is good. It should transcend anything mundane that's out there, like most of what's around now.
        The band was always Emerson. Lake. Palmer. Three very individual people. Three supremely talented people with commensurate egos. They ended up hating each other.
        Signature
        Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
        It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Keith and Lemmy. Both legends, and both sadly no longer with us.

    Signature
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10582897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    This band was so much a part of my middle teen years. It's hard watching that part of us come down.

    RIP Keith. ELP took my crowd to some very special mental zones. You have been so appreciated.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10586105].message }}
  • Hey — this is not the easiest stuff to dance to.

    But that is a cool belt the guy got on.

    Would work with a Black Widow catsuit imho.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10586138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author multisys353
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10586293].message }}

Trending Topics