Is self-employment 'lonely'?

by Zodiax
37 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Is it lonely being 'self-employed'?

Spending hours twidling your thumbs or churning out content by yourself, or through someone else on a computer screen?

At some point you will turn into a hermit, wouldn't you?
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    Is it lonely being 'self-employed'?

    Spending hours twidling your thumbs or churning out content by yourself, or through someone else on a computer screen?

    At some point you will turn into a hermit, wouldn't you?
    There is no one's company I enjoy more than my own. I may be alone almost all of the time, but I never feel lonely.

    I have never 'twiddled my thumbs' and have never 'churned-out content.' I spend 12 hours a day, usually 7 days per week at my computer, because I want to, because I certainly don't have to. I officially retired last October, but since I don't fish or play golf - I choose to spend time working in photo/audio/video for personal pleasure.

    I find the company of humanoids extremely annoying. My dog covers my need for friendly companionship.

    Life is good.

    Cheers. - Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10624970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      There is no one's company I enjoy more than my own. I may be alone almost all of the time, but I never feel lonely.

      I have never 'twiddled my thumbs' and have never 'churned-out content.' I spend 12 hours a day, usually 7 days per week at my computer, because I want to, because I certainly don't have to. I officially retired last October, but since I don't fish or play golf - I choose to spend time working in photo/audio/video for personal pleasure.

      I find the company of humanoids extremely annoying. My dog covers my need for friendly companionship.

      Life is good.

      Cheers. - Frank
      Same with me. Never lonely. But I like being married, and we are together nearly constantly.

      But I've always been self employed. It's just difficult for me to think like an employee...or an employer, for that matter.


      When I worked alone, It never bothered me. "Alone with my thoughts" isn't a bad way to spend time.

      And as much as I love my excellent wife, we recently got a cat...and I can see how that would be enough, for companionship.

      But being alone is a choice. Being lonely is a reaction. There is no reason you have to be alone, except when working.

      Being self employed, I experience a kind of loneliness...in that I can't share what I think with many others. I can't share my successes, and few people will identify with my thinking.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625005].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        When I worked alone, It never bothered me. "Alone with my thoughts" isn't a bad way to spend time.
        Seriously? I would have thought that being alone with your thoughts would be a fate worse than death.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625007].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      There is no one's company I enjoy more than my own. I may be alone almost all of the time, but I never feel lonely.

      I have never 'twiddled my thumbs' and have never 'churned-out content.' I spend 12 hours a day, usually 7 days per week at my computer, because I want to, because I certainly don't have to. I officially retired last October, but since I don't fish or play golf - I choose to spend time working in photo/audio/video for personal pleasure.

      I find the company of humanoids extremely annoying. My dog covers my need for friendly companionship.

      Life is good.

      Cheers. - Frank
      Yep, I can go both ways ( no not that way, I mean be around others or just enjoy my solititude)
      Some of my fondest memories in my 20s and 30s were going down to Pensacola and spending 4 or 5 days on the beach by myself and enjoying every minute of it. Reading, contemplating. drinking a few beers , exercising, people watching etc..

      I love my solitude and feel lucky as this was a blessing that many people just do not have. Of course now that Iam married with kids I also love that ,probably more than anything.

      So like I said I'm a switch hitter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625017].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        spending 4 or 5 days on the beach by myself and enjoying every minute of it.
        Now consider how much the rest of the human race was enjoying it. :-)

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      There is no one's company I enjoy more than my own. I may be alone almost all of the time, but I never feel lonely.

      I have never 'twiddled my thumbs' and have never 'churned-out content.' I spend 12 hours a day, usually 7 days per week at my computer, because I want to, because I certainly don't have to. I officially retired last October, but since I don't fish or play golf - I choose to spend time working in photo/audio/video for personal pleasure.

      I find the company of humanoids extremely annoying. My dog covers my need for friendly companionship.

      Life is good.

      Cheers. - Frank
      Well, I wish I could lose my soul like that.

      Unfortunantely, I can't
      Signature

      'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
      -Muhammad Ali

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625044].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        Well, I wish I could lose my soul like that.

        Unfortunantely, I can't
        When I was a very young boy, what seems like eons ago, my pappy taught me that 'can't' means, 'won't try.'

        It is a word I have exorcised from my vocabulary and thought-process. :-)

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625049].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      I find the company of humanoids extremely annoying. My dog covers my need for friendly companionship.

      Life is good.

      Cheers. - Frank
      And that is why you feel compelled to come to a forum and ruminate with a bunch of fools lol
      Lets face it BigF everybody needs somebody :>)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625418].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
        Banned
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        And that is why you feel compelled to come to a forum and ruminate with a bunch of fools lol
        Lets face it BigF everybody needs somebody :>)
        C'mon. I only post here to add meaning to your life - not mine. lol

        They say no man is an island, yet my middle name is Crete.

        Cheers. - Frank
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author irawr
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    Is it lonely being 'self-employed'?

    Spending hours twidling your thumbs or churning out content by yourself, or through someone else on a computer screen?

    At some point you will turn into a hermit, wouldn't you?
    Yes it is. You have intentionally go out of your way to do things and socialize with real people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10624976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Is self-employment 'lonely'?
    Buy a blow up doll and a bicycle pump. Problem solved.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    Yep, I can go both ways ( no not that way,
    Yeah yeah, that's what they all say...

    Originally Posted by yukon View Post

    Buy a blow up doll and a bicycle pump. Problem solved.
    What is wrong with you!

    They sell perfectly good plug in air pumps these days. No need to get all in a huff and worn out before you even begin to enjoy er, I mean "socialize".
    Signature

    "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625245].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author quadagon
      Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

      Yeah yeah, that's what they all say...



      What is wrong with you!

      They sell perfectly good plug in air pumps these days. No need to get all in a huff and worn out before you even begin to enjoy er, I mean "socialize".
      He never said the bicycle pump was to inflate the doll.
      Signature
      I've got 99 problems but a niche ain't one
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dano101
    It's very lonely mate. But if we don't do it for us and our family, then who will.

    But it's easier to concentrate when your spouse has a good job while you are going at it to make the side money that will pay off the house one day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    Being self employed is good but it's nice to have a human companion or friend to bounce your ideas off occasionally, even if they are not as clued up as you or remotely interested. You can sometimes get an angle or comment that makes you think about your actions or idea's. As long as you can do that occasionally I have been ok.

    Saying, well, what do you think of that Puss is not always effective because they are usually thinking, never mind about that, where my Friskies.
    Signature

    Where ever you go, there you are.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dano101
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      Being self employed is good but it's nice to have a human companion or friend to bounce your ideas off occasionally, even if they are not as clued up as you or remotely interested. You can sometimes get an angle or comment that makes you think about your actions or idea's. As long as you can do that occasionally I have been ok.

      Saying, well, what do you think of that Puss is not always effective because they are usually thinking, never mind about that, where my Friskies.
      Post of the day.

      It's always good to have someone to at least ponder with on the logistics of what you got going.

      Because sometimes encouragement or a swift kick in the buttcheeks is definitely needed.

      Now my lady is a nay sayer. So I definitely know when she really likes an idea that I may bring up while just brainstorming out loud.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625286].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
        Originally Posted by Dano101 View Post

        Post of the day.

        It's always good to have someone to at least ponder with on the logistics of what you got going.

        Because sometimes encouragement or a swift kick in the buttcheeks is definitely needed.

        Now my lady is a nay sayer. So I definitely know when she really likes an idea that I may bring up while just brainstorming out loud.
        It's so easy to get distracted to.
        Signature

        'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
        -Muhammad Ali

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      Being self employed is good but it's nice to have a human companion or friend to bounce your ideas off occasionally, even if they are not as clued up as you or remotely interested.
      I guess so, if you actually give a hairy-rat's ass about what someone thinks or says. I would not be one of those people - believe it, or not. :-)

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625389].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        I guess so, if you actually give a hairy-rat's ass about what someone thinks or says. I would not be one of those people - believe it, or not. :-)

        Cheers. - Frank
        Do you play video games sometimes.
        Signature

        'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
        -Muhammad Ali

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625402].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

          Do you play video games sometimes.

          Does assteroids count?
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625412].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author discrat
            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            Does assteroids count?
            Well, In BigFrank's world maybe a hairy rats assteroid :>)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625416].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

          Do you play video games sometimes.
          I don't own any video games or computer games. Although I realize it is akin to religion for some people, in my world that's just a 'mindless pursuit.'

          I'm old. Every minute is extremely precious and I strive to not waste a single one of them. I try to assure that everything I do in life has meaning. That way, if I die while doing it, it's not time I wish I could have reclaimed or regretted how I spent it - or allow the person that discovers my rotting corpse to say, "Legend of Zelda? Really??"

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625413].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            I don't own any video games or computer games. Although I realize it is akin to religion for some people, in my world that's just a 'mindless pursuit.'

            I'm old. Every minute is extremely precious and I strive to not waste a single one of them. I try to assure that everything I do in life has meaning. That way, if I die while doing it, it's not time I wish I could have reclaimed or regretted how I spent it - or allow the person that discovers my rotting corpse to say, "Legend of Zelda? Really??"

            Cheers. - Frank
            But dead people have no regrets.

            But I don't blame you - wanting to go out like a man.
            Signature

            'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
            -Muhammad Ali

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625423].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

              But dead people have no regrets.
              Those would be normal dead people. I'm special. Please refer to my signature.
              But I don't blame you - wanting to go out like a man.
              I want to go out as a thinking man. :-)

              Cheers. - Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625428].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            I don't own any video games or computer games. Although I realize it is akin to religion for some people, in my world that's just a 'mindless pursuit.'

            I'm old. Every minute is extremely precious and I strive to not waste a single one of them. I try to assure that everything I do in life has meaning. That way, if I die while doing it, it's not time I wish I could have reclaimed or regretted how I spent it - or allow the person that discovers my rotting corpse to say, "Legend of Zelda? Really??"

            Cheers. - Frank
            Claude is like Captain Kirk, except he said "I always knew I would die of Candy Crush"
            Signature

            Where ever you go, there you are.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625491].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post


            I'm old...and ugly...and women detest me
            Glad I could help.

            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post


            They say no man is an island, yet my middle name is Crete.

            Cheers. - Frank
            ...which is Greek for "Flacid". Your Mother was a psychic.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626186].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Glad I could help.

              ...which is Greek for "Flacid". Your Mother was a psychic.
              Yes, you being older, uglier and even more detested than myself has helped immensely. Thanks for that.

              Flacid is your life-long affliction and my mom was/is a psycho!

              Cheers. - Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
    Speaking of Video Games.

    I think they are costing me money, better quit them .
    Signature

    'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
    -Muhammad Ali

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10625464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dano101
    Why spend $40 on a game when you can put that $40 to run on google display.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626219].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      Originally Posted by Dano101 View Post

      Why spend $40 on a game when you can put that $40 to run on google display.
      Google ads are expensive. You should try youtube.

      Avg cpv is around 10 cents. Imagine the potential
      Signature

      'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
      -Muhammad Ali

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626375].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dano101
        Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

        Google ads are expensive. You should try youtube.

        Avg cpv is around 10 cents. Imagine the potential
        In all honesty. My adult product doesn't allow me to run on any major platforms besides Traffic junky and Juicy Ads. Lol

        Btw. This means that most of my ads are directed at potential customers that are 2 seconds away from pleasure and doesn't give 2 hoots about the ad at that very moment. Lol.

        So hopefully they will remember my products name and visit my site later on that day or within the week if needed. Lol.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulSch
    Lonely? Maybe, but it's cheap when you take the whole workforce out for Christmas dinner!!!
    Signature

    Get FREE Access To Over 180 Webmaster Training Videos here. Did I mention they are totally free?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by PaulSch View Post

      Lonely? Maybe, but it's cheap when you take the whole workforce out for Christmas dinner!!!
      I take myself out and trust me - it's never cheap. I treat myself very well - and I'm worth it. :-)

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dano101
    Business is never lonely if everyone tells you to gfy while you really see the future. Lol

    So never give up.

    I'm sure that when Mark Zuckerberg stole the MySpace idea

    He was kicked in the buttcheeks as well.

    But this tells us that Mark was very special in what he wanted to do.

    So I am sure that Mark loved his solitude moments.

    So if you believe. Then make it happen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10626701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    Its the contrary for me, the farther off the beaten track I go, the less lonely and the more people I have to talk to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10627070].message }}

Trending Topics