The "good, ole days" here at WF...were they really the "good, ole days" ??

26 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
There is no question of a decline in the overall healthiness of the Forums here in the last couple of years. There is a lot of Spam ( some subtle and some overt) that is really incessant in here, and the Discussion among serious Marketers has seem to decline pretty extreme.
As well as Sections like the WSO which has been on a downward spiral for awhile.

That being said I also think there is a flip side to all this talk about the Forums being so awesome 7, 8, 10 years ago. Was there some really good stuff going on here at that time?? Absolutely no question BUT.....

For instance, when I joined in 2008 there were so many offers for Blackhat Systems. One, was the Forum blasting of backlinks. Like 10,000 backlinkss blasted out to Forums, Blogs, Article Directories etcv..etc.. for $20

And make NO, ( and I mean NO ) mistake about it folks, these were being developed by highly esteemed and highly Successful Warrior Members. The same ones that people here belly ache about how great it was when they were here to bless us with their presence in the "good, ole days"

They were NOT just the Developers of this Spam Software they also were Affiliates with it as well.
(Btw, don't give me the song and dance that because they did not know better back in the day about this being so egregious, that they should be excused somehow. Bottom line .... They knew it was unethical)

Did I do it when I first started. YES !! I bought into a few systems of backlinking blasting. So I am guilty as any of them.

All I'm saying is to take a step back and realize the "good ole " days were not as squeaky clean and altruistic and noble as our memory serves us !!

And the recent, 'broken record' talk about the glory days of the WF and how awesome it was is part Truth and part Delusion !

Let's don't kid ourselves, folks



- Robert Andrew
#days #good ole #good ole days #good ole #good ole days #wfwere
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Well, I can tell you the Offline subforum in 2011-14 had a lot more participants who were focused, realistic, and active. That place is a ghost town now compared to what it was.

    Also, the general level of knowledge and self-sufficiency has plummeted.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10712410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danieldesai
    You know, Robert, you made some good points.

    I've never been around the block for as long as you and some of the older members here, so I can't say that I know what the Warrior Forum was like circa 2008.

    But I do know that many marketers in general who used to support backlinking software are now singing a different tune.

    For some reason, I'm not convinced it has do with moral enlightenment so much as the fact that it doesn't work like it used to.

    Well, as far as the Warrior Forum goes, I guess the best we (us regular members) can do is try to contribute where we can in discussions, and continue to give suggestions if the higher-ups are willing to take them seriously - and yes, I know this has been futile in the past.

    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10712419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ForumGuru
    Banned
    These are NOT screenshots from the good ol' days...















    This forum needs a lot of help right now...which has been expressed by a lot of members on countless threads. Many great suggestions have been given, unfortunately, few have been implemented.

    Cheers

    -don
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10712422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      Originally Posted by ForumGuru View Post

      These are NOT screenshots from the good ol' days...















      This forum needs a lot of help right now...which has been expressed by a lot of members on countless threads. Many great suggestions have been given, unfortunately, few have been implemented.

      Cheers

      -don
      I love you
      Signature

      'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
      -Muhammad Ali

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10712984].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whland
      Originally Posted by ForumGuru View Post

      These are NOT screenshots from the good ol' days...















      This forum needs a lot of help right now...which has been expressed by a lot of members on countless threads. Many great suggestions have been given, unfortunately, few have been implemented.

      Cheers

      -don
      WOW. I didn't think the traffic to this forum would ever drop.

      Hope the traffic picks back up.
      Signature
      WebMasterBabble.com Webmaster Forum
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10715537].message }}
  • I am glad for once that I am not personally responsible for trashin' the machinations of angels.

    But it is weird how things took a major tumble in November after the mods pulled my suggestion for gamifyin' the whole site.

    Tellya, we need prizes for findin' hidden treats, prizes for postin' killer content -- an' some fluffy character we can grow to love, till our enthusiasm spawns a series of blockbuster movies.

    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    "The good old days are now."

    Tom Clancy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
    Most likely, people have woken up and have saw many of the members here for what they are and stopped buying into their nonsensical claims and promises.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Most likely, people have woken up and have saw many of the members here for what they are and stopped buying into their nonsensical claims and promises.
    Right - because we know there's no nonsense here now.

    No forum is ever perfect but this one used to be interesting.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Love how this got moved to OT where no one will see it.

    Another thread discussing WSOs in a not-so-perfect light was deleted yesterday.

    Freelancer Curling: "Sweep...sweep...sweeeep!"


    You say you want feedback, Freelancer? But only by email? Not willing to put in the effort to actually speak with your users? And lame articles nobody asked for are permitted but genuine discussion by members is not? Sure, this is the right direction...


    This is not how a brave organization reacts, Freelancer. A brave organization acknowledges reality, then tries to improve it. Not sweep unwelcome facts under the rug.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      Love how this got moved to OT where no one will see it.

      Another thread discussing WSOs in a not-so-perfect light was deleted yesterday.

      Freelancer Curling: "Sweep...sweep...sweeeep!"


      You say you want feedback, Freelancer? But only by email? Not willing to put in the effort to actually speak with your users? And lame articles nobody asked for are permitted but genuine discussion by members is not? Sure, this is the right direction...


      This is not how a brave organization reacts, Freelancer. A brave organization acknowledges reality, then tries to improve it. Not sweep unwelcome facts under the rug.
      Yep, I was not going to say anything as I put in a Ticket yesterday to get it moved back. But it look like it came on deaf ears.

      I was trying to stir up some stimulating conversation and get more Discussion going and make a few points to get people thinking. Heck, I even gave FL the benefit of the the doubt by mentioning how pre-FL days were not as rosy as purported.

      Don't see how in the World this is Off Topic ? About as On Topic as you can get . Maybe indicative of the Denial going on here ??

      Oh well, I guess I won't fool with trying to spur on dialogue or discussion anymore
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713590].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author agmccall
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post


        Don't see how in the World this is Off Topic ? About as On Topic as you can get . Maybe indicative of the Denial going on here ??
        Robert, while I agree with what you say here in this thread, it does not belong in the main forum. Why? because it is not about marketing, it is about improving the warrior forum and or WSO's. It might not belong in the off topic forum, but at the same time it does not belong in the main forum.

        One of the things that really needs to improve here is the main forum being a dumping ground for everything. I spend a lot of time reporting posts to be moved to correct sub-forums, (Not this thread, but I probably would have had I noticed it before it was moved)

        I think there are too many sub-forums, some should be combined or eliminated. like pay per click, and ad networks should be combined.

        Remember this. No matter what we post about improvements to the forum or where we post them, they will be ignored or misinterpreted.

        al
        Signature
        The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713639].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

          Robert, while I agree with what you say here in this thread, it does not belong in the main forum. Why? because it is not about marketing, it is about improving the warrior forum and or WSO's. It might not belong in the off topic forum, but at the same time it does not belong in the main forum.


          al
          Good point, Al.
          Conversely it could be argued that the Thread was talking about Marketing practices and tactics that were prevalent during a certain period of time in the history of WF ...i.e Blackhat and Backlink spamming.

          I think that has everything to do with Marketing
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713647].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author agmccall
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            Good point, Al.
            Conversely it could be argued that the Thread was talking about Marketing practices and tactics that were prevalent during a certain period of time in the history of WF ...i.e Blackhat and Backlink spamming.

            I think that has everything to do with Marketing
            True, but we have to have a line somewhere, who will draw that line?

            al
            Signature
            The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713700].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
              Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

              True, but we have to have a line somewhere, who will draw that line?

              al
              The mods, and they drew it here. It would have been moved here under the old regime as well. You were right, Al.
              Signature

              Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10714207].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ForumGuru
                Banned
                Originally Posted by discrat View Post

                Yep, I was not going to say anything as I put in a Ticket yesterday to get it moved back. But it look like it came on deaf ears.

                I was trying to stir up some stimulating conversation and get more Discussion going and make a few points to get people thinking. Heck, I even gave FL the benefit of the the doubt by mentioning how pre-FL days were not as rosy as purported.

                Don't see how in the World this is Off Topic ? About as On Topic as you can get . Maybe indicative of the Denial going on here ??

                Oh well, I guess I won't fool with trying to spur on dialogue or discussion anymore
                Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

                The mods, and they drew it here. It would have been moved here under the old regime as well. You were right, Al.
                What Dennis said....

                Sorry you got a bit miffed, discrat. I was one of the peeps that reported this thread belongs in off-topic.



                During my four years here, this is the place that most of these discussions ended up. As Al mentioned, this really is a forum discussion, not an internet marketing discussion.

                One last thing, I am now in-favor of condensing the sections in some manner. When WF had substantially more traffic I was not in favor of consolidation. Time has passed and traffic has dropped like rock, it's definitely the right move to make at this point.

                One consolation, Robert. With the thread down here in the basement you know you will find (have found) a few wise old-timers that will chime in. Not as many as in years past, but you get the drift.

                Cheers

                -don
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10714404].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      And lame articles nobody asked for are permitted but genuine discussion by members is not? Sure, this is the right direction...
      They've employed someone to post even more articles now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Yep...too many subforums. In the good old days, there were only a few subforums: The main and the WSO came a little later. Then the SEO and OT.

    Here's a problem with all the "micro" sub forums...where should a post about writing good titles for Youtube videos be?

    Should it be in the social, since the WF believes YT is social?

    Or how about the SEO forum, because writing good YT titles is important to ranking in both the YT and Google search engines?

    How about the copywriting forum, since ranking is only one part of a good YT video title? You also need people to click on your listing, which means using headline and call to action principals.

    The same train of thought also applies to things like email subject lines. Should this discussion be in email marketing or copyrighting, and whichever is chosen it takes away from the other.

    By micro-managing all the topics, there's now very little left of interest that "belongs" in the Main.

    I liked this forum a lot more when there was only one "main" marketing forum. And IMO, a big problem with many forums in many niches is that they micro manage the topics into too many sub forums.

    This impacts how active a forum is and appears. Most people don't want to visit 10 subforums and only check out a few. This limits their exposure to topics that they may have an interest in.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Looks like Allen sold just in time??????
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10713790].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SteveJohnson
      Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

      Looks like Allen sold just in time??????
      Maybe, but most of the problems the WF has now are self-induced by mismanagement and not really knowing who the WF served.

      I would wager that were Allen to buy it back, this place would do a 180 degree turnaround within 6 months, and back on top within a year.

      It's reminiscent of when AMF bought Harley-Davidson in 1969, ran the company totally into the ground, then sold it back just 12 years later for a fraction of what they paid for it.
      Signature

      The 2nd Amendment, 1789 - The Original Homeland Security.

      Gun control means never having to say, "I missed you."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10719296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    A few observations:

    First, I think this is the correct section for this thread. As Dennis said, posts about the running of the forum were almost always moved away from the main discussion area under the previous regime.

    Second, there are only a few old timers who view the pre-FL days through rose-tinted specs. Most accept that things were far from perfect then, but all agree that the level of discussion was generally of a higher standard. Then again, many of the topics were new and hadn't already been talked to death.

    Third, people are addressing Freelancer in this thread (and other similar threads) as if there's some entity out there reading all the posts. There is no longer any "face" of the Warrior Forum. No one person who embodies its values and epitomizes its standards. That ship has sailed. And in any case, who's to say how long anyone could have sustained that degree of personal identity in an international marketing forum, given the sheer numbers now online.

    Freelancer is a corporation that has designated employees to maintain certain administrative functions within the forum. It's not the fault of the current staff - they're acting under the terms of their employment. Their only input is probably limited to regular meetings or submitted reports to the powers that be, in which any points or suggestions they feel worth mentioning might be included.

    But the direction of the WF has almost certainly already been decided.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10714342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Yes, l find it interesting after some have left, and others have clammed up with anything contraversal, since it can turn nasty, that some seem to be crying about this forum and others becoming dull.

    The ones that shouted the loudest, have their wish; no new age type posts, or alien posts, or anything related anymore.

    But someone can only take so much negativity and predictable replys, to give up and let them be.


    Maybe another newbie posting about "how to make money online might lift things", or "l am broke and my family will be sausage mince by tomorrow, if l don't get 10k") will do the trick?

    Be careful for what you wish for!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10714402].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Yes, l find it interesting after some have left, and others have clammed up with anything contraversal, since it can turn nasty, that some seem to be crying about this forum and others becoming dull.

      The ones that shouted the loudest, have their wish; no new age type posts, or alien posts, or anything related anymore.

      But someone can only take so much negativity and predictable replys, to give up and let them be.


      Maybe another newbie posting about "how to make money online might lift things", or "l am broke and my family will be sausage mince by tomorrow, if l don't get 10k") will do the trick?

      Be careful for what you wish for!

      Negativity is reality.

      Dying is negative yet we all do it
      Signature

      'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
      -Muhammad Ali

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10715065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Zodiax View Post

    Negativity is reality.

    Dying is negative yet we all do it
    Coming here after creating a contraversal thread, only to have to sift through endless BS, bullying and name calling isn't reality, it is just people behaving like A******, since the subject matter gives them the willies.

    An individual will go to any lengths to prove that all paranormal subjects aren't valid. And it seems the more you try to show scientifically that there is something to it, the more insane the reasons become.

    It is impossible to win against stupid. Stupid wins every time, or seems to.*




    +Examples included in thread. :0.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10715921].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      It is impossible to win against stupid. Stupid wins every time, or seems to.
      Ladies and gentlemen - we have a winner and we are now retiring the trophy.

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10719463].message }}

Trending Topics