Will Brexit Have An Effect On Internet Marketers In The UK?

46 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I live in the U.S. so I don't have a dog in this fight but I wanted to know out of curiosity, will Brexit have an effect on internet marketers in the UK?

I would think not unless maybe you are importing and/or export goods to and from the UK. Am I wrong?
#brexit #effect #internet #marketers
  • Profile picture of the author dburk
    Hi mobetman,

    It's yet to be determined, but getting free from the heavy burden imposed by the Global Elite opens the doors to a revival in the economy, which could be very positive to the small business environment. I think that was one of the primary motivators for Brexit.

    The UK can now do what is good for the UK. Before Brexit, they were powerless to make the best choices for their own nation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke Dennison
    All the young people kicking off on Facebook but as a 23 year old I'm glad we left!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author newbim
      Me too. I was up 'till 4:00am watching it. History in the making. .
      Signature
      If what I said helps, let me know, throw me a 'thanks'.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Why would it?

    al
    Signature
    The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    A positive effect it seems.

    The lowering of the exchange rate means if you earn $100 USD it's about £72.23 in GBP.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    If you follow the news, there are lots of reasons why the U.S. and other nations will be impacted by this action. Did you notice the Dow tanked 500 points this morning? I would say that's an impact.

    We live in a global economy. No one knows what all the impacts will be yet.

    Here is just one interesting article in today's news:

    4 Reasons Americans Should Care About Brexit Victory

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739707].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dburk
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      If you follow the news, there are lots of reasons why the U.S. and other nations will be impacted by this action. Did you notice the Dow tanked 500 points this morning? I would say that's an impact.

      We live in a global economy. No one knows what all the impacts will be yet.

      Here is just one interesting article in today's news:

      4 Reasons Americans Should Care About Brexit Victory

      Steve
      Hi Steve,

      The author of that article made a list of the cons, but neglected to list any of the many overwhelming pros. Couldn't you find a more objective article? One that listed the pros and the cons?

      Seems to me that the Americans may benefit almost as much as the Brits from this movement away from the evils of globalism. Let's not pretend there are no benefits.

      Sure, the stock market weakens during the uncertainty of major change, that is to be expected. Not the end of the world, it is just short-term volatility. the market is down 2-3% well within the norm for a major change like this. I would say this bodes well for the long term stability of the stock market in the US.

      Who knows, maybe this will inspire a similar movement in the US to break free from the tyranny of the globalists. We can only hope.

      @Luke,

      Good on you, congratulations on your declaration of independence, may freedom ring throughout your nation and all the lands of the world. Wishing you chaps all the best.

      Cheers,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    The dow responds if the fed sneezes...

    and I think the article is a quite "left handed".

    I think this is a positive for the UK -the load of restrictions and regulations imposed by the EU will be lifted - a boon for UK business in my opinion.

    What began as an economic experiment changed to a political/social power play....and Brits had the sense to say "no thanks".

    I think once the dust settles, this is will provide a renewed sense of autonomy in the UK - and that's good for busienss.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    I'm going to work on being less condescending
    (Condescending means to talk down to people)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739780].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Importexport
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      The dow responds if the fed sneezes...

      and I think the article is a quite "left handed".

      I think this is a positive for the UK -the load of restrictions and regulations imposed by the EU will be lifted - a boon for UK business in my opinion.

      What began as an economic experiment changed to a political/social power play....and Brits had the sense to say "no thanks".

      I think once the dust settles, this is will provide a renewed sense of autonomy in the UK - and that's good for busienss.
      I expect that British importers will suffer for a while due to the drop in the pound, but when commonsense again prevails and all the self-fulfilling scare stories have run their course after causing some panic, they will be better off.

      I agree with your comment about the lifting of EU restrictions being a boon to the UK economy.

      Just keep calm and carry on.

      Walter Hay
      Signature
      Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740262].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      I think this is a positive for the UK -the load of restrictions and regulations imposed by the EU will be lifted - a boon for UK business in my opinion.

      What began as an economic experiment changed to a political/social power play....and Brits had the sense to say "no thanks".

      I think once the dust settles, this is will provide a renewed sense of autonomy in the UK - and that's good for busienss.
      The irony in what you posted is that one of the reasons "leavers" gave is because of continual corporate deregulation. The labour, financial and industrial markets have all been deregulated so much as to leave millions of people with bleak prospects. None of those have anything to do with Europe either. They are continuations of the neo-liberal agenda that Thatcher introduced, and Blair and Cameron continued. It wasn't only political elites people sent a message to, it was also the corporate elites.

      Further deregulation of these markets may well be good for business (although there is no evidence at all to support supply side/trickle down economic theories), however that will only exacerbate the anger that people are feeling.
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743121].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
        Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

        The irony in what you posted is that one of the reasons "leavers" gave is because of continual corporate deregulation. The labour, financial and industrial markets have all been deregulated so much as to leave millions of people with bleak prospects. None of those have anything to do with Europe either. They are continuations of the neo-liberal agenda that Thatcher introduced, and Blair and Cameron continued. It wasn't only political elites people sent a message to, it was also the corporate elites.

        Further deregulation of these markets may well be good for business (although there is no evidence at all to support supply side/trickle down economic theories), however that will only exacerbate the anger that people are feeling.
        We'll be able to tell if it was a good move for the average UKer or not because there are a lot of measurable quality of life indicators. (Oh, but how can you put a price on freedom?)

        Will per capita income go up or down? Will the cost of living go up or down or remain the same? Will UK GDP go up, down or remain the same? Exports & imports? What will the job creation picture look like a few years from now - after this move. Will there more money floating around in the general populace or less?

        Most predictions from economists are negative and only time will tell if their perceived "more freedom" because of this move was/is actually worth leaving the EU.

        Ten years from now, if the UK wants back in, will the EU allow it???
        Signature

        "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743391].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
          Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

          We'll be able to tell if it was a good move for the average UKer or not because there are a lot of measurable quality of life indicators. (Oh, but how can you put a price on freedom?)

          Will per capita income go up or down? Will the cost of living go up or down or remain the same? Will UK GDP go up, down or remain the same? Exports & imports? What will the job creation picture look like a few years from now - after this move. Will there more money floating around in the general populace or less?

          Most predictions from economists are negative and only time will tell if their perceived "more freedom" because of this move was/is actually worth leaving the EU.
          Some good questions there. Only time can answer them.

          There's also the question of what happens to the UK itself. Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay. Will Scotland once again seek independence and rejoin the EU by itself? Will Northern Ireland reunite with The Republic of Ireland and become part of the EU that way?

          There also seems to be an amount of buyer's remorse creeping in. The County of Cornwall voted to leave and have now realised that they'd been kept afloat by subsidies from the EU for the last few decades. Some of the townships in Wales have awoken to the same reality as well.

          Originally Posted by TLTheLiberator View Post

          Ten years from now, if the UK wants back in, will the EU allow it???
          They'll have to apply to join like every other nation has had to. This is a long drawn out process, and I can't really see the EU doing anything to speed it up. I'd imagine they'll "fillibuster" the process at every step.

          That of course depends on if there actually is an EU then. Already there's talk of other nations holding similar referendums, so the whole edifice may yet crumble.

          Who knows?
          Signature
          Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
          So that blind people can hate them as well.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author violet0176
    Now, if only the USA could unhitch itself from Latin America and China. Ahhhh, one can dream.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10739928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author linuspersson
    Banned
    My tip of the day: earn in $ and spend in pound.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Bitcoin is up +9%.

    Good enough...
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mobetman
    Don't you think it's possible or even likely the EU will impose onerous terms on the UK assuming they invoke Article 50. If so, an IMer with an online store that imports/exports to EU countries may be negatively affected.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author omodejk12
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bella jones
    Its the situation of wait and watch, The positive and negative result of referendum will be seen in after 1 or 2 years
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devilfish168
    in fact " is not confirm yet " although the people vote to leave EU .

    anyway I do hope the markets is back to bullish

    seriously if everyone one is poor ...no one will buy IM products.

    Some WR might tell me , who say ...

    if there are many jobless folks , wage low , etc , surely they will look for IM products to earn some bucks , passive income.

    well to me , is when people got extra money , they will buy IM products to earn passive income.


    well let hope the markets will be good

    no to forget if people's budget is tight they will not go Amazon to buy things , etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author desley
    Hi,
    I too sat up and watched it all (on my trading screen as well as the TV) from Aussie land, from when the pound reached it's all time high (evening/wee hours Aussie time) to the result (early arvo Aussie time). The market was due for a correction and wow what a correction took place and I too think the volatility in the markets won't last all that long really as the property market is still quite strong. (If the property market takes a huge nose dive, that's the time to really start worrying as it's the property market that leads the charge towards recession/depression or hyper inflation.)

    As UK marketers from what I have observed charge in USD dollars, they will benefit enormously on the new devalued pound exchange rate, however, will need to be careful re purchasing in USD.

    Purchasing power in their country may take on a slightly different meaning really though as already 2 major credit agencies have downgraded the UK financial rating and only time will tell when these ratings will be reinstated.

    Trying to encourage people in their country to take up their offers might prove either a tad more challenging due to the downgraded ratings if this flows into household spending, however, it may potentially be a boom as people turn to looking for ways to make either additional or a full income from online endeavours. So the UK IM's who look at the opportunities and how to provide value for their products could stand to increase their bottom lines quite handsomely.

    As to whether the result will be good or not good, who knows. Fears of globalisation aside, it certainly was a result also based on fear of immigration, racial discrimination and let's close our borders which is incredibly sad. To quote the Australian strategy as part of their argument, leaves me incredibly sad as there is a silent majority here in Aussie land who can't get heard over the fear and scare mongers when it comes to immigration and refugees and detention. Sad that other countries are looking to an example where quite a number of Aussies (including me) are incredibly ashamed at our nation's policies and our national leaders for insisting on such draconican policies. There has been and will continue to be seismic shift of people when war and terror continues to dominate countries, looking towards undertaking perilous journeys in order to feel safe and for the safety of their families. Sad that the British people think that the Australian example is a model for them to follow is all I will say on this matter.

    As for me personally I'm more intrigued on what's going to happen on 2/7 in Aussie land re the federal election and how this will play out in the financial markets and whether this will increase the volatility!!!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10740550].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dburk
      Originally Posted by Importexport View Post

      I expect that British importers will suffer for a while due to the drop in the pound, but when commonsense again prevails and all the self-fulfilling scare stories have run their course after causing some panic, they will be better off.

      I agree with your comment about the lifting of EU restrictions being a boon to the UK economy.

      Just keep calm and carry on.

      Walter Hay
      Hi Walter,

      Yes, I agree with your assertion that imports will suffer short term as a result of the lowering value of the GBP, however there is a flip side to that. Exports will have an equal and opposite reaction, Exports are likely to soar and this will bring fresh capital into the country.

      Reducing imports while simultaneously increasing exports will likely have a tremendously positive long term effect on the UK economy. And those IMr's that know how to take advantage of this change will likely do well in the short term ,and even better in the long-term.

      As IMr's we can be more flexible and adapt to the changing markets much more easily than a brick-n-mortar store.

      Originally Posted by mobetman View Post

      Don't you think it's possible or even likely the EU will impose onerous terms on the UK assuming they invoke Article 50. If so, an IMer with an online store that imports/exports to EU countries may be negatively affected.
      Yes, it is possible, perhaps even likely. There were a lot of threats made by the globalists to the UK if they dared to leave. However, there is already a reconciliatory tone coming out only one day after the historic vote to leave.

      Several other countries in the EU already have similar referendums proposed, or in process, to leave the EU. So it may be just the first of several to leave, making the EU more of a burden to those who remain than it is to those who leave.

      Originally Posted by omodejk12 View Post

      Brexit will have adverse effect on internet marketers in the UK because new policies will be formulated.
      Hi omodejk12,

      That's a pretty bold assertion, is it based on any facts, or is it just your opinion?

      I thought the UK voted to leave because the EU was already making new policies that harmed all of UK, not just internet marketers, did I miss something?

      At least now, if the UK decides to create new policies that harm the UK they will only have themselves to blame. At least they are free now (or soon to be) to implement new policies that favor their citizens. Call me optimistic, but it seems to me that those new policies are likely to make it better for IMs in the UK not "adverse".

      Originally Posted by desley View Post

      As UK marketers from what I have observed charge in USD dollars, they will benefit enormously on the new devalued pound exchange rate, however, will need to be careful re purchasing in USD.

      Purchasing power in their country may take on a slightly different meaning really though as already 2 major credit agencies have downgraded the UK financial rating and only time will tell when these ratings will be reinstated.

      Trying to encourage people in their country to take up their offers might prove either a tad more challenging due to the downgraded ratings if this flows into household spending, however, it may potentially be a boom as people turn to looking for ways to make either additional or a full income from online endeavours. So the UK IM's who look at the opportunities and how to provide value for their products could stand to increase their bottom lines quite handsomely.
      Hi desley,

      I agree, there are definitely some new opportunities created for smart marketers.

      Originally Posted by desley View Post

      As to whether the result will be good or not good, who knows. Fears of globalisation aside, it certainly was a result also based on fear of immigration, racial discrimination and let's close our borders which is incredibly sad.
      I must have missed the part about "let's close our borders", it seems to me that they simply wanted to "have" borders and to not be totally borderless.

      Also, I don't think they fear immigration as a concept, they just fear being overrun by people that see themselves as their enemies and that are coming to their nation with an intent to destroy them. Perhaps they just want to curtail that activity? Or, maybe they are fed up with folks in far away lands dictating to them that they must allow the unfluttered influx of people that have sworn to destroy them into their homes and they just want to keep themselves and their families safe from those with malicious intent?

      I wouldn't judge them too harshly, you and your family could be targeted next. Will you do nothing to protect your loved ones from harm?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741224].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author desley
        Originally Posted by dburk View Post

        Hi Walter,

        Yes, I agree with your assertion that imports will suffer short term as a result of the lowering value of the GBP, however there is a flip side to that. Exports will have an equal and opposite reaction, Exports are likely to soar and this will bring fresh capital into the country.

        Reducing imports while simultaneously increasing exports will likely have a tremendously positive long term effect on the UK economy. And those IMr's that know how to take advantage of this change will likely do well in the short term ,and even better in the long-term.

        As IMr's we can be more flexible and adapt to the changing markets much more easily than a brick-n-mortar store.



        Yes, it is possible, perhaps even likely. There were a lot of threats made by the globalists to the UK if they dared to leave. However, there is already a reconciliatory tone coming out only one day after the historic vote to leave.

        Several other countries in the EU already have similar referendums proposed, or in process, to leave the EU. So it may be just the first of several to leave, making the EU more of a burden to those who remain than it is to those who leave.



        Hi omodejk12,

        That's a pretty bold assertion, is it based on any facts, or is it just your opinion?

        I thought the UK voted to leave because the EU was already making new policies that harmed all of UK, not just internet marketers, did I miss something?

        At least now, if the UK decides to create new policies that harm the UK they will only have themselves to blame. At least they are free now (or soon to be) to implement new policies that favor their citizens. Call me optimistic, but it seems to me that those new policies are likely to make it better for IMs in the UK not "adverse".


        Hi desley,

        I agree, there are definitely some new opportunities created for smart marketers.



        I must have missed the part about "let's close our borders", it seems to me that they simply wanted to "have" borders and to not be totally borderless.

        Also, I don't think they fear immigration as a concept, they just fear being overrun by people that see themselves as their enemies and that are coming to their nation with an intent to destroy them. Perhaps they just want to curtail that activity? Or, maybe they are fed up with folks in far away lands dictating to them that they must allow the unfluttered influx of people that have sworn to destroy them into their homes and they just want to keep themselves and their families safe from those with malicious intent?

        I wouldn't judge them too harshly, you and your family could be targeted next. Will you do nothing to protect your loved ones from harm?
        Hi Omodejk12,
        Thanks for your considered response. No I don't judge one way or the other whether UK should have or should not leave the EU. What I was saying is I was saddened to hear some quarters of the UK arguments were quoting the Aussie model re immigration da de da. Believe me Aussie might be an island yet we have the exact same debates, the exact same arguments put forward, including allowing "unfluttered influx of people that have sworn to destroy them into their homes ...."

        The Aussie election is now over and the winner and loser declared today (Sunday); yet all week the press have been making hay over One Nation party being elected into the Senate and what Pauline Hanson stands for (which she uses similar words to the same effect as what you have stated.) And, we are very fortunate to live in a country which is multi cultural and yes, there are good, bad and downright ugly in all population groups, yet we seem to believe that human beings from war torn countries are not going to reflect this fact.

        We had a previous PM whose slogan was 'stop the boats' claiming these refugees are queue jumpers for a mythical queue that actually doesn't exist; and now have the 2 major parties with bipartisan support to keep detention centres in other countries which one wouldn't even allow an animal to be kept in nethertheless a human being. Do I agree with people making perilous journeys by boat - absolutely not. What I do agree with is Aussie land pulling its finger out and processing people far more quickly so they don't see the need to get on the rickety boats in the first place!!!

        As to whether I'd like to protect my family and friends - of course, however, blaming and branding every refugee or immigrant as a potential killer who is going to either murder or hurt loved ones, is not the answer.

        We live in a 21st Century equivalent of the Crusades thousands of years ago who also used a religion to carry out murder, thuggery etc. Maybe we should stop blaming people of a specific religion or ethnic group and start really calling these people who kill and hurt people for what they really are - murderers and thugs trying to justify their actions with a religion.

        So yes, I've expanded more on what I've said, however, please, please - worrying about whether some of these people will murder or hurt your family members and wanting to protect them is downright fear and scare mongering.

        I'm neither agree or disagreeing with the actual vote that UK have decided. What I'm saddened is people trotting out Aussie land as a shining example and/or branding that all refugees and immigrants will murder or hurt people in their beds. Because that is downright scare mongering of the first order.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10761456].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dburk
          Originally Posted by desley View Post

          Hi Omodejk12,
          Thanks for your considered response. No I don't judge one way or the other whether UK should have or should not leave the EU. What I was saying is I was saddened to hear some quarters of the UK arguments were quoting the Aussie model re immigration da de da. Believe me Aussie might be an island yet we have the exact same debates, the exact same arguments put forward, including allowing "unfluttered influx of people that have sworn to destroy them into their homes ...."

          The Aussie election is now over and the winner and loser declared today (Sunday); yet all week the press have been making hay over One Nation party being elected into the Senate and what Pauline Hanson stands for (which she uses similar words to the same effect as what you have stated.) And, we are very fortunate to live in a country which is multi cultural and yes, there are good, bad and downright ugly in all population groups, yet we seem to believe that human beings from war torn countries are not going to reflect this fact.

          We had a previous PM whose slogan was 'stop the boats' claiming these refugees are queue jumpers for a mythical queue that actually doesn't exist; and now have the 2 major parties with bipartisan support to keep detention centres in other countries which one wouldn't even allow an animal to be kept in nethertheless a human being. Do I agree with people making perilous journeys by boat - absolutely not. What I do agree with is Aussie land pulling its finger out and processing people far more quickly so they don't see the need to get on the rickety boats in the first place!!!

          As to whether I'd like to protect my family and friends - of course, however, blaming and branding every refugee or immigrant as a potential killer who is going to either murder or hurt loved ones, is not the answer.

          We live in a 21st Century equivalent of the Crusades thousands of years ago who also used a religion to carry out murder, thuggery etc. Maybe we should stop blaming people of a specific religion or ethnic group and start really calling these people who kill and hurt people for what they really are - murderers and thugs trying to justify their actions with a religion.

          So yes, I've expanded more on what I've said, however, please, please - worrying about whether some of these people will murder or hurt your family members and wanting to protect them is downright fear and scare mongering.

          I'm neither agree or disagreeing with the actual vote that UK have decided. What I'm saddened is people trotting out Aussie land as a shining example and/or branding that all refugees and immigrants will murder or hurt people in their beds. Because that is downright scare mongering of the first order.

          Hi desley,

          I can't speak to your local politics as I am not familiar with the players and their agendas. However, I will say this:

          You can split the immigrants and refugees coming to your shores into two groups. Those that are coming to become loyal Australian citizens, and those that are loyal to another group that has sworn to destroy you. It makes sense to restrict the latter, don't you agree?

          It doesn't matter if an invading army is peaceful or not while they position their assets for the coming battle, they are just as much of a threat. Doesn't it make sense to try to sort out the enemies that are among those that are wanting to become loyal citizens?

          Now you could argue that you have no enemies, and I will call you naive.

          The Brits were being forced to accept all comers, without discrimination which is cultural suicide. Make no mistake the enemy is waging cultural warfare and if you fail to see this you are making a fatal mistake.

          We live in a 21st Century equivalent of the Crusades thousands of years ago who also used a religion to carry out murder, thuggery etc. Maybe we should stop blaming people of a specific religion or ethnic group and start really calling these people who kill and hurt people for what they really are - murderers and thugs trying to justify their actions with a religion.
          The Crusades are often cited as a religious war, it was not. It was a direct response to Muslim aggression. I know many people have been convinced that Islam is a "religion" and while it does share some traits of a religion, it is far more than that. It is a culture of military conquest. It has a stated goal to rule the world. The people in your nation have been targeted for annihilation, according to Muslim leaders. You can can believe them, or not, at your own peril.

          I believe each person should be judged as an individual, not a group. If an individual has sworn allegiance to a group and their cause, and that cause is to destroy you, you'd be a fool to let those individuals into your country at an unmetered pace.

          The Brits were being forced to do just that. They wanted out, can you blame them?

          Setting this one issue of unfettered and unvetted immigration aside, there is a much broader issue at stake.

          Should a nation be allowed to rule itself?

          The global elites also want to rule the world. They are as much a threat as any other maniacal despot oligarchy that wants to invade and rule foreign lands.The leaders in Brussels want to tell the Bits, not only what they can and cannot do, but also what they must do. They want to become the rulers of foreign lands, oppressing the will of the people, fortunately the Brits recognized this in time to initiate Brexit. Now let's see if those despots allow the Brexit to go through, or will they use force and coercion to keep them captive?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10762130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goneill
    To the OP.

    The most obvious effect on UK IMers will be the exchange rate between the UK and US, as mentioned by others here. This has always been so if you use paypal, in all the time I have used paypal the conversion rate has always been 2-5 cents lower than the official exchange rate?

    The other factor was the introduction of VAT (15) on online transactions introduced in 2015. Introduced by the EU. What happens now I am not sure as legally the UK can abolish VAT if it wants. As we all know that once a government obtains a tax source they are reluctent to give it up. They may reduce rates of VAT in other areas to appease people.

    Apparently it is going to take aprox 2 years to unravel the legal situation e.g. trade tariffs, free movement and banking laws. We all know how much things can change in a short time.

    I personally voted for out because I am opposed to unelected individuals interferring in the excisting law of the UK, uncontrolled immigration with no consideration for the excisting infrastructure to cope with the increase (health care, education, jobs, housing etc). Multi National Companies not paying the right amount of taxes on UK earnings. The forthcoming TTIP, which is being discussed in secret by the EU, which is a USA Multinational/Government scheme for globalisation mark 2, which incidently excludes China?

    I have had my little rant for the night and I am off to enjoy watching the Glastonbury Festival a little bit of British Culture.;-)
    Signature

    George ONeill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    think of what is best for the country not best for im
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Only time will tell if the older folks have been allowed to mess things up - in many ways for the younger folks or not in the UK. One thing's for sure there was never any expectations of a British dream for the folks over there. That's just not how they roll.

    BTW, the Scotts seem to have another reason to divorce England and I wouldn't be surprised if they vote to leave the UK.
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10741991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ExcelExpert
    It is probably the most divisive thing I have experienced in the UK. Half the country is running around screaming we are all doomed, were going bust, I'm moving to France etc. The other half is really happy because they see opportunity and freedoms. So there is a lot of mud slinging going on - being a pro-leaver I have been called racist, low educated and many other names.

    I cant see the EU imposing any daft restrictions on the UK because it would do more harm to them than us. Most of the EU countries export between 5% and 10% of their output to the UK. If they damage that they will put their own countries in to recession and cause mass job losses.

    What we will now have is 3 months of the two main parties ripping themselves apart and rebuilding themselves before they then build a cross party group to manage the exit. Which should take 2 years. Trade deals will take anything from weeks to years depending on the countries and the complexity.

    Personally I'm expecting 3-6 weeks of market turmoil before most things will return to business as normal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

    If you follow the news, there are lots of reasons why the U.S. and other nations will be impacted by this action. Did you notice the Dow tanked 500 points this morning? I would say that's an impact.
    The Dow didn't drop as much as expected. The FTSE didn't drop as much as expected. Traders and many investors enjoy the drops. I got a lot of bargains... and Barclay dropping 28% to the low (later rallying 8%), that's a pretty emotional response that will turn into a nice chunk of change

    I don't understand the fear mongering that's been happening with this. People should never be afraid of having more freedom. I see the UK being the net winner in all of this.

    People tend to love democracy, as long as they win... but complain when they lose. Nothing new in this case either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10742466].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      The Dow didn't drop as much as expected. The FTSE didn't drop as much as expected. Traders and many investors enjoy the drops. I got a lot of bargains... and Barclay dropping 28% to the low (later rallying 8%), that's a pretty emotional response that will turn into a nice chunk of change
      Not for a while. Any gains you made by buying at the bottom on Friday have probably just been wiped out on Monday. The FTSE is currently down a further 2.24%.

      And Barclays is down a further 17% today as well, thereby wiping out all the gains you made on Friday, and then some. I suppose you can keep throwing money at them every day until they actually do hit bottom, but remember -

      The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent - John Maynard Keynes.
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rfharris
    Banned
    I think the value of pound would affect everything and same if the case with online marketing.
    Signature
    RankFirstHosting.Com | Your One-Stop for All Your SEO Hosting Needs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    The REALLY dumb thing is that apparently *****NOTHING HAPPENED*****! They did NOT leave the EU! The EU HAS to treat things normally because, if they don't, they will LOSE ALL SUPPORT!

    All that happened is that people declared legally that they WANT TO LEAVE! The government, if honest and legal, should leave, but they said NO WAY!

    The prime minister has said that he will NOT start the process to leave, and that he won't leave until october, so this probably won't start until like november, IF it ever does. The REMAIN voters have asked for ANOTHER referendum.

    So the **** goal is to have ANOTHER vote, probably around october or so, and try to use this to encourage a REMAIN vote. If so, things will be not change.

    If the EU tries any real garbage, it could taint much of the support they have left, and make the next vote even more towards LEAVE.

    It IS interesting though. Great Britain was still on their currency, and BOTH are FIAT and supported tin the G20, or whatever it is called today. The reason for the leave vote was simply to get their country back. It wouldn't have had any direct harmful effect.

    Frankly, I hope this garbage backfires, and the delay allows the UK to make negotiations with the EU from a very powerful position. I hope the other countries do the same, and they get out of the UN ALSO.

    Then we can say BYE BYE and GOOD RIDDANCE to the "new world order" in our lifetimes. If we don't, they plan to do it by 2030.

    BTW it looks like the US market may be recovering a bit. It COULD be a dead cat bounce, but it is still a sign of life/support. I don't care. Most of my money is OUT. As far as I am concerned, I have GAINED what I would have lost.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ForumGuru
      Banned
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      Then we can say BYE BYE and GOOD RIDDANCE to the "new world order" in our lifetimes. If we don't, they plan to do it by 2030.

      Steve
      Whooaa....them horses may be need a bit more feed according to USA today.

      Brexit isn’t the end of new world order

      Lots of other opinion exists, of course.

      Brexit Is The End Of The New World Order As We Know It, And I Feel Fine

      Brexit: A New World Order Humpty Dumpty - PravdaReport Brexit: A New World Order Humpty Dumpty

      BREXIT Signals the End of the New World Order
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        I never said it WAS the end of the new world order. The UN is the one making all the plans, and the plan for europe falls under the EU. If the UK gets out of the EU, it will be a MAJOR blow, and already HAS encouraged OTHERS to move. If that happens, it is a blow to the UN. If they then get out of the UN, the UN will lose a lot of ITS power. If the US then gets out, the UN might as well not exist. If THAT all happens, or possibly even just the UK and US, THEN bye bye new world order.

        So the tower hasn't fallen. There is simply a hand on a structural piece threatening to move it. Don't forget, MOST of the UN power is effectively granted to it by license(call it what you want, it amounts to a license). And the two biggest countries to do so, no offense, are the US and the UK.

        Now if I were president of the US, and the UK got out, I would tell the UN it hasn't done right by us either. PACK UP AND GO HOME!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743855].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          I never said it WAS the end of the new world order. The UN is the one making all the plans, and the plan for europe falls under the EU. If the UK gets out of the EU, it will be a MAJOR blow, and already HAS encouraged OTHERS to move. If that happens, it is a blow to the UN. If they then get out of the UN, the UN will lose a lot of ITS power. If the US then gets out, the UN might as well not exist. If THAT all happens, or possibly even just the UK and US, THEN bye bye new world order.

          So the tower hasn't fallen. There is simply a hand on a structural piece threatening to move it. Don't forget, MOST of the UN power is effectively granted to it by license(call it what you want, it amounts to a license). And the two biggest countries to do so, no offense, are the US and the UK.

          Now if I were president of the US, and the UK got out, I would tell the UN it hasn't done right by us either. PACK UP AND GO HOME!

          Steve
          Steve, you're an inspiration for the last 15 years

          well, supposedly Scotland goes independent next , then Italy follows....

          the currency markets are on the edge of their seat right now, and the Euro is in decline...
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10771647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dburk
    UPDATE:
    Now eight more countries want to hold referendums to exit the EU - France, Holland, Italy, Austria, Finland, Hungary, Portugal, and Slovakia all could leave.

    Globalists unveil diabolical plot to take over all member states of the EU:
    EU referendum: German and French to unveil European superstate blueprint post-Brexit | Politics | News | Daily Express

    Seems the UK's worst fear, that of the EU plotting to end their country has now surfaced as a fact. They better get out now, or they could still get trapped behind a new iron curtain if they don't move fast to escape.

    "This could generate an additional new migrant pressure, in order for such people, desperately, to reach the UK before Brexit is enforced."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10743934].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by dburk View Post

      Seems the UK's worst fear, that of the EU plotting to end their country has now surfaced as a fact. They better get out now, or they could still get trapped behind a new iron curtain if they don't move fast to escape.
      How utterly stupid. The Brexiters have destroyed their own country.

      Scotland will now leave. Northern Ireland will reunite with the Republic Of Ireland. Bingo - no more United Kingdom.

      But yeah, keep on believing that right wing bollocks rather than, you know, actually thinking things through.
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744255].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dburk
        Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

        How utterly stupid. The Brexiters have destroyed their own country.

        Scotland will now leave. Northern Ireland will reunite with the Republic Of Ireland. Bingo - no more United Kingdom.

        But yeah, keep on believing that right wing bollocks rather than, you know, actually thinking things through.
        Destroyed? Hell, they saved it, if they can still manage to get out in time.

        Even if all that happens, and I seriously doubt that it will, they will still have a country. If they stay in the EU they lose it all to the global elites in Brussels.

        Lose a few provinces, or lose the whole country?

        It's a pretty easy choice once you actually engage your brain.

        The lights are on, but nobody's home.

        Socialism is a disease that kills people, based on historical evidence whenever Europe forms a super-state ran by socialists, 10's of millions of their own citizens die terrible deaths inflicted by the state upon it's own citizens.

        The indoctrinated youth of UK are literally betraying their ancestors when they choose to dissolve their country, the same country that their forefathers sacrificed so much for them to keep.

        Those that are old enough to remember what it was like to have a country of their own voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU. The engaged youth should heed the wisdom of the elders, the indoctrinated are already lost, let them move to France or Germany, there is probably a work camp waiting for them somewhere.

        Evil is as evil does.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744362].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
          More utter stupidity from someone who knows nothing about the UK.

          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          Lose a few provinces, or lose the whole country?
          A few provinces? The United Kingdom is made up of four separate countries (not province, states or territories. These are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, that's it, the UK ceases to exist. It'll just be England, and possibly Wales.

          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          It's a pretty easy choice once you actually engage your brain.
          Which you don't seem to have, judging by the ill-informed crap you posted.

          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          The lights are on, but nobody's home.
          It's apparent your lights aren't even on.

          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          Socialism is a disease that kills people, based on historical evidence whenever Europe forms a super-state ran by socialists, 10's of millions of their own citizens die terrible deaths inflicted by the state upon it's own citizens.
          Since that's never happened in European, or anywhere else for that matter's, history, you have proved beyond all reasonable doubt that a human being can survive without a brain. Oh yeah, and before you go on another rant, it might be an idea to understand just socialism actually means, as you obviously have it confused with communism, fascism or some other form of totalitarianism.

          Since the pound and the UK stock market have been whacked, it seems that capitalism is taking a dim view of the idea of England (and possibly Wales) leaving.

          Originally Posted by dburk View Post

          ,<even more rank ill informed stupidity snipped>
          BTW, I was born in England. I still have a lot of relatives living there. They all voted to leave (young and old). They all regret voting that way now they've found out what is actually involved. And they're angry at having been lied to by the far right wing press owned by global elitists like Rupert Murdoch.
          Signature
          Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
          So that blind people can hate them as well.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744606].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

        How utterly stupid. The Brexiters have destroyed their own country.

        Scotland will now leave. Northern Ireland will reunite with the Republic Of Ireland. Bingo - no more United Kingdom.

        But yeah, keep on believing that right wing bollocks rather than, you know, actually thinking things through.
        So you mean that the UK was created less than 50 years ago? Funny, I thought it was FAR older. I guess they never fought in WWI or WWII, etc....

        Face it, the EU is newer which means the UK built itself up as much as it had WITHOUT the EU!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smackeroo
    Brexit! Best thing that has happened in the UK since one of the worst things that happened (joining in the first place).

    I am hoping that it will start a trend that leads to the total collapse of the EUseless bureaucracy gone mad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alistair
    I'm English and voted leave and don't regret doing so at all, nor does anybody else I know who voted leave. I would say it's the best decision I ever made, but I never had to decide which way my vote would have gone, I've known all along.

    And yes it's cost me more money to buy things in $'s, but that was inevitable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Give yourself a big pat on the back Leavers:

    British Chancelor warns of tax hikes, spending cuts after leave vote
    Signature
    Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
    So that blind people can hate them as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alistair
    Ooohh, tax rises. Ooohh spending cuts. Nothing new there then.

    Just to mention he threatened all of this before the vote, didn't make a difference, we still voted leave.

    Forward to about 37:20 (better volume).

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10744791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author facku9912
    Don't know but it affects gold price in my country
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10771671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
      Originally Posted by facku9912 View Post

      Don't know but it affects gold price in my country
      i never lost money with gold

      at the moment i sold it, i doubled my money

      soon i will buy again

      houses take 1-12 months to sell

      gold is cash within 1 hour
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10773213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sinintia
    Brexit influence gold price in Asia , Australia and other continent
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10772986].message }}

Trending Topics