Is it safe to use tablets...

by Morna Donaghue Banned
13 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
as POS systems? I saw one shop using an iPad as their POS system and would like to do the same too if it's safe to use. Anyone who has tried them before?
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Morna Donaghue View Post

    as POS systems? I saw one shop using an iPad as their POS system and would like to do the same too if it's safe to use. Anyone who has tried them before?
    Just as long as you don't overdose on them.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10756246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JennieB
    I've been to quite a few little shops that are using them. Have no idea how safe they are, but I imagine they are as safe as whatever software they are using to make those transactions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10756398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveJohnson
    Why wouldn't they be 'safe'? They're just computers without a cord...
    Signature

    The 2nd Amendment, 1789 - The Original Homeland Security.

    Gun control means never having to say, "I missed you."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Anything connected to the web can be hacked from anywhere in the world.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Anything connected to the web can be hacked from anywhere in the world.
      Yes, just spend a good hour today, trying one out, (my Mother considered buying one) and they are easy to use, but limited.

      And considering Apple charges about $1000 for a 32gig one, and $1300 for 128gig, it is a frickin expensive toy.

      And l do know that the iwatch, has been hacked, so.....

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10757895].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        Yes, just spend a good hour today, trying one out, (my Mother considered buying one) and they are easy to use, but limited.

        And considering Apple charges about $1000 for a 32gig one, and $1300 for 128gig, it is a frickin expensive toy.

        And l do know that the iwatch, has been hacked, so.....

        The lowest price I have seen for a decent tablet of a decent size is about $50. AMAZON FIRE, one of the latest anyway. The catch is that you have lock page ads. It is actually a minor concession all in all.

        They all use the regular https: which has built in security. And yes, it isn't perfect, but it is a world wide standard. There are no less than three variants and only the latest 1-2 are considered secure, but most companies have upgraded accordingly, and nearly all browsers can be set to be incompatible with the older variants.

        Again, nothing is perfect.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10758288].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          The lowest price I have seen for a decent tablet of a decent size is about $50. AMAZON FIRE, one of the latest anyway. The catch is that you have lock page ads. It is actually a minor concession all in all.

          They all use the regular https: which has built in security. And yes, it isn't perfect, but it is a world wide standard. There are no less than three variants and only the latest 1-2 are considered secure, but most companies have upgraded accordingly, and nearly all browsers can be set to be incompatible with the older variants.

          Again, nothing is perfect.
          True, but who would use an apple tablet, to log into your PP account in a coffee shop.


          All it takes is a hacker with a smart watch, and video camera running to ascertain which keys you are pressing to log in.

          I have played around with the new apple iwatch, it records in HD, and all l have to do is act like l am watching something on it.

          Even on an angle someone could figure it out eventually.

          No, new tech, new ways for an AH to access it, and your money is transferred from all of your accounts via Western Union, so it is impossible to track down.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10758452].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Morna Donaghue
        Banned
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        And considering Apple charges about $1000 for a 32gig one, and $1300 for 128gig, it is a frickin expensive toy.
        I'm thinking of using an android one. Maybe Samsung or something.
        I already found a company which has an iPad POS system. Just need to call them to ask if it works well with Android tablets too and maybe ask for a quote.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10767195].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author O0o0O
    If you do use a tablet, I would at least have a barrier that customers could use to keep others from seeing which buttons they press. That way it could increase the security. Additionally, you could increase the encryption that your tablet uses for customer transactions. Seeing as how Target and other big chains have been hacked in recent years, it seems nothing is safe now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10758455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by O0o0O View Post

      If you do use a tablet, I would at least have a barrier that customers could use to keep others from seeing which buttons they press. That way it could increase the security. Additionally, you could increase the encryption that your tablet uses for customer transactions. Seeing as how Target and other big chains have been hacked in recent years, it seems nothing is safe now.
      Yes, that is true, but there is a difference between safe and stupid.

      I have some AH, constantly pestering me via email, that my PP account has this and that wrong with it.

      It is pretty obvious with the Bitly link, and such that it is BS, although he has gotten better, (less spelling mistakes) but all he needs is one person, and he can clean out all accounts linked to it.

      I recently after countless marking his emails as spam, told him what he could do with his emails, but of course, it was a no reply.

      People who do bank transactions by using an app, on their Sphone, same thing, and there has been one case, where someone got their savings, etc emptied through using this in the wrong place.

      The banks crap on about how wonderful this service is, but will ignore you when a spammer cleans you out.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10758755].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    i think the answer is only under medical advice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10768748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tayyap
    A computer is a device that can be instructed to carry out an arbitrary set of arithmetic or logical operations automatically. Their ability to follow a sequence of operations, called a program, make computers very flexible and popular. Such computers are used as control systems for a very wide variety of industrial and consumer devices.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10769441].message }}

Trending Topics