What do you even do in your 40's anymore???

35 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I find that life can get so confusing and challenging. Especially after lets say you go through some major problems. Like before, everything made sense, mainly because perhaps your business gives you a sense of identity. Or your wife, or where you live or your house, or bank account, or whatever seemed to paint the rosy picture..

But lets say something happens and you're now starting from scratch. Starting over from the bottom, and it's later on in life (40+). Like how do you pick up the pieces, and how do you even know what the heck you want anymore if you do pick them up? What do you even do in your 40's anymore???

It's almost like your saying to the universe..."thanks for the first piece of cake, but I really really need that second piece to re-taste everything i've already done and know please". Like it's not quite as exciting no matter how hard you try and imagine it.

But one tries to stay motivated anyway, maybe just out of a survival mechanism or something. But what does one do, or how do you figure out what to do anymore in life after you turn 40, and are starting over from scratch??? How do you make it urgent and important and matter to the point where you'll make things happen and be able to pick up the pieces? I just didn't know life could get this challenging. Hoping I can try and bounce back.

Any advice you can offer would be helpful
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

    I find that life can get so confusing and challenging. Especially after lets say you go through some major problems. Like before, everything made sense, mainly because perhaps your business gives you a sense of identity. Or your wife, or where you live or your house, or bank account, or whatever seemed to paint the rosy picture..

    But lets say something happens and you're now starting from scratch. Starting over from the bottom, and it's later on in life (40+). Like how do you pick up the pieces, and how do you even know what the heck you want anymore if you do pick them up? What do you even do in your 40's anymore???

    It's almost like your saying to the universe..."thanks for the first piece of cake, but I really really need that second piece to re-taste everything i've already done and know please". Like it's not quite as exciting no matter how hard you try and imagine it.

    But one tries to stay motivated anyway, maybe just out of a survival mechanism or something. But what does one do, or how do you figure out what to do anymore in life after you turn 40, and are starting over from scratch??? How do you make it urgent and important and matter to the point where you'll make things happen and be able to pick up the pieces? I just didn't know life could get this challenging. Hoping I can try and bounce back.

    Any advice you can offer would be helpful
    First piece of cake, lol, l have tried a lot of things before IM, and most of it, didn't work, or would have costed too much, etc.

    I have been online for 8.5 years and counting, still trying to get to the pot of gold, but maybe this week, l can finally dip my hand into the pot and grab some?

    I can't imagine the gold pieces anymore, but still keep at it.


    So if you have already had some success online then you have experienced something that l haven't, apart from the pocket money trickle thrill.


    But how to start, pretty easy, pick something and keep at it, til you are reasonably sure that it isn't for you, or what you want, then try something else.

    And remind yourself that time can be a B*tch, if you sit around for the next 5 years, and watch sports, then in 5 years time, you will be very good at watching sports and football scores, but that is it.

    Or pick something and work hard, then at the very least you can look back and see, well, l have tried A,B, and C, and have learned a lot, maybe D, or E, will show me the money.

    Good luck.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10847389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    You know what I like more than Lamborghini's? Knowledge.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10847442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    more than Lamborghini's?

    i'm a simple guy: give me a new Audi 8

    or give me, yeah indeed: knowledge

    why do i always agree with you?

    come on over, i should invite you for lunch
    on da beach. Thursday Raymond from Holland
    is coming, that should not stop you from getting
    a plane ticket right now....

    your life will never be the same again....ever

    Raymond is so far ahead, nobody can touch him,
    yet he calls me: The Mad Professor

    no idea why, maybe it takes one to know one?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10847692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
    Banned
    Why not just live out of a "camper van?"....

    Frank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848090].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theoperator
      Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

      Why not just live out of a "camper van?"....

      Frank
      Well that is the back up plan if nothing else works out. I actually figured it all out too just in case. But I really don't want to even think in that direction. I'd rather try and focus on moving ahead and not settling.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    Let's put up a tent on the beach instead...

    right in front of the newly opened Genius Cafe
    they use the tagline: "A meeting place for entrepreneurs"

    let's discuss how to make money with an iphone7 with those
    boys & girls- they all look like collage graduates and sophisticated
    so they would know, and help me out here in my tent...





    -sent from my cosmik-debris-pokyphone9 -
    automatically, without me pushing any button
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848219].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Gee, l am answering this guys question, and you all talk about cars, and tents on the beach....

    Worst still you lot mainly post on the OT, solid grounds for a lifetime ban, and beheading.

    And also say funny things, certainly grounds for death row.


    But no one has discussed ghosts or UFO's, or juggling flaming kittens so l guess that l cannot command others to obey my law, or attack everyone's intelligence, or even swear, like a rabid dog, on crack munchies.

    I am depressed!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    "But no one has discussed ghosts or UFO's"

    let me be the first then: The ghost of a old woman with long black hair
    was been seen in Nusa Dua yesterday by at least 4 eye witnesses.

    I asked "so is that a true story...or just another crappolonia by girls with
    too many fantasy hormones.."

    someone knowledgeable replied: "thats normal here, people see ghosts
    all the time.

    Right, now to UFO news: There have been no sights of any ufo's lately,
    its possible that they are going to other places currently because the
    locals always shoot blue lasers up into the clouds at night.

    Apparently to chase away rain clouds, so the tourists enjoy another
    sunny day in paradise and spend money on tours, souvenirs and gifts.
    No turnover at a rainy day, everyone sticks to the hotel pool, and
    only the guy at the pool bar smiles and is busy.

    True story, blue laser beams! dang, everybody is going high tech these days....
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848526].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

      "But no one has discussed ghosts or UFO's"

      let me be the first then: The ghost of a old woman with long black hair
      was been seen in Nusa Dua yesterday by at least 4 eye witnesses.

      I asked "so is that a true story...or just another crappolonia by girls with
      too many fantasy hormones.."

      someone knowledgeable replied: "thats normal here, people see ghosts
      all the time.

      Right, now to UFO news: There have been no sights of any ufo's lately,
      its possible that they are going to other places currently because the
      locals always shoot blue lasers up into the clouds at night.

      Apparently to chase away rain clouds, so the tourists enjoy another
      sunny day in paradise and spend money on tours, souvenirs and gifts.
      No turnover at a rainy day, everyone sticks to the hotel pool, and
      only the guy at the pool bar smiles and is busy.

      True story, blue laser beams! dang, everybody is going high tech these days....
      What! Maaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh!


      YOu are a scum sucking, f****, rabid, Squid, with, arrrrmm,,....s*** headed, rabid,....cockroach.


      And ghosts dont' exist unless l say so.


      And you have posted on the OT, here, can't do it, and l even thankyou, WT,....


      I do believe in aliens, just as long as they don't land here, then l don't, (and no one else can since, my word is LAW!




      And you mentioned women again, ...you really need to reread my 10 commandments, (mods mine one, not you know) rule three, is can't mention women or juggling kittens unless you have written permission from me.


      And pay me $200 in cash.


      You need to take this mindless, dribble, crap, bu****s****, amm, which swearword, haven't l used) garbage to a forum where other scy choitc kitten, and women lovers, go to discuss this mindless, groan, blah, blah, blah.




      But you do have a point.


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848806].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
        And here an example of bad copy, while being drunk:

        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        What! Maaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh!

        YOu are a scum sucking, f****, rabid, Squid, with, arrrrmm,,....s*** headed, rabid,....cockroach.
        please send someone an exorcist to Aussieland, quickly!

        and here the non-alc coffee version of that headline:


        Sweet Painless Exorcism

        "The World's First Effortless Exercise!"
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848969].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

          And here an example of bad copy, while being drunk:
          please send someone an exorcist to Aussieland, quickly!

          and here the non-alc coffee version of that headline:


          Sweet Painless Exorcism

          "The World's First Effortless Exercise!"
          Not, drunk, just blowing off some steam.

          Felt like l have been in a wild west movie, where a lone gunslinger runs the town, makes the laws and sets the rules, but like all schy,.....nasty individuals he eventually hangs himself.

          The internet still has a wild west aspect to it, but thankfully not here.

          Well, that and Firefox totally f***up and driving me nuts, may have had something to do with it.


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    But lets say something happens and you're now starting from scratch. Starting over from the bottom, and it's later on in life (40+). Like how do you pick up the pieces, and how do you even know what the heck you want anymore if you do pick them up? What do you even do in your 40's anymore???
    You start over - and you do it as often as you have to. What do you think people do when their businesses go bankrupt? When a fire destroys their home? When they face divorce, or lose a child or get fired from the job they've done for 20 years? What happens after a huge hurricane or tornado, an earthquake or a war? People start over.

    If you are in your 40s and never faced this kind of reality before - you are lucky. Get up, dust it off, suck it in and get started all over again. You'll have more maturity and knowledge now (or should have) so use it.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    ***
    Sometimes I just want someone to hug me and say...
    "It's going to be OK - here's a horse and two million dollars."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10848839].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      You start over - and you do it as often as you have to. What do you think people do when their businesses go bankrupt? When a fire destroys their home? When they face divorce, or lose a child or get fired from the job they've done for 20 years? What happens after a huge hurricane or tornado, an earthquake or a war? People start over.

      If you are in your 40s and never faced this kind of reality before - you are lucky. Get up, dust it off, suck it in and get started all over again. You'll have more maturity and knowledge now (or should have) so use it.
      True.

      We all think we have it bad at some point in life until you look around and see someone else has it a lot worse.

      Shit happens, do the best you can and move on.

      [source]
      In the 1994 movie Forrest Gump, Forrest runs into dog droppings and a man in the bumper sticker business brings it up. Forrest says "It happens," to which the man asks "What, shit?" and Forrest answers "Sometimes."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Isaiah Nixon
    Take some time and learn something new, if you're starting from scratch and you need to ask it means you need to take time and focus on learning. I would personally recommend learning how to wholesale real estate but you're looking for IM so i say just search the forum and learn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    Ya well things could be a lot worse I guess. I shouldn't be so worried anyway. I tend to catastrophise so easily. I don't know why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849473].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
      Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

      Ya well things could be a lot worse I guess. I shouldn't be so worried anyway. I tend to catastrophise so easily. I don't know why.

      could always be worse.

      "catastrophise so easily. I don't know why"

      - It's because the world is in a mess - that's why - so you're not overestimating
      anything. We're on the edge of big chances coming...
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849556].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

        could always be worse.

        "catastrophise so easily. I don't know why"

        - It's because the world is in a mess - that's why - so you're not overestimating
        anything. We're on the edge of big chances coming...
        True, all of that first contact stuff, and holographic iphones would scare anyone.

        But true, it is scary to venture out alone, forging a path, staring into the abyss, but working all of your life, then retiring and having to borrow from relatives, etc, to pay for medical costs, and house maintenance is more scary.



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    "borrow from relatives"

    forget it, i get everything anyway, why would i hassle them?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    just to refocus a bit,..... I'm still looking for some real "ideas" here, not just chit chat if you understand?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

    "borrow from relatives"

    forget it, i get everything anyway, why would i hassle them?
    Maybe not you, but a lot of Aussies, have to; mainly because they overestimate their lifespan, by about 13 years.

    Yep, 13 years of begging your friends and family for money for this operation, or repairing this on your house.

    Or 13 years of living in a shopping centre staring at a wall, because you cannot afford heating or cooling bills.

    Most people seen to live in the moment, and fill their lives with overseas travel, etc.

    But their is a price to pay for that.

    Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

    just to refocus a bit,..... I'm still looking for some real "ideas" here, not just chit chat if you understand?
    Best to go upstairs to the IM section and run through, "how can l make money" type posts, l am not going to repeat myself.


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850621].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post



      Most people seen to live in the moment, and fill their lives with overseas travel, etc.

      But their is a price to pay for that.


      Yeah the price is : too much fun, and lack of negativity

      but it comes back to you, today i want to have a visit at my ISP's office,
      because they always kick me out when i want to post something, they
      show me this:

      http://v3.mercusuar.uzone.id/?url=warriorforum.com

      they dont like free communication, its dangerous

      but only for them and the payments they get from us
      They are not safe anymore, who was it again that pays
      their salaries? Exactly.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850728].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

        Yeah the price is : too much fun, and lack of negativity

        but it comes back to you, today i want to have a visit at my ISP's office,
        because they always kick me out when i want to post something, they
        show me this:

        Mercusuar

        they dont like free communication, its dangerous

        but only for them and the payments they get from us
        They are not safe anymore, who was it again that pays
        their salaries? Exactly.
        I agree have fun, but have fun and have no backup plan for later on, not so much fun.



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850967].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
          Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

          I agree have fun, but have fun and have no backup plan for later on, not so much fun.



          who needs backup plans?

          girls do

          i go with Tom Petty:

          i go into the big wide open, and maybe i'm free falling

          but never actually did so far

          it's all good - if you're good - some big spirit in the sky
          will rescue you - always ! have a little faith my friend.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    Hey Op, you said: "Starting over from the bottom, and it's later on in life (40+). Like how do you pick up the pieces, and how do you even know what the heck you want anymore if you do pick them up?"

    It's not a real problem, I'm doing it right now. If you're online you have to reinvent yourself all the time. One thing goes pop and the next shows up in an instant. And believe you me when i say:

    nothing is "sudden luck". The more you work it, the more opportunities present themselves. For me right now daily more than i can handle. Have to prioritize and do only the ones i really want to do.

    If i would be all melancholic about that one good thing "went pop" i would sit around and ask question like yours "even know what the heck you want anymore" - better figure that one out first, if you dont know what you want you need to retire, if that is not possible, get on a self-seeking trip around the country. Take any job along the way. Nobody stops you, except yourself.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850731].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

      If you're online you have to reinvent yourself all the time.

      Can you see the real me?





      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theoperator
      Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

      Hey Op, you said: "Starting over from the bottom, and it's later on in life (40+). Like how do you pick up the pieces, and how do you even know what the heck you want anymore if you do pick them up?"

      It's not a real problem, I'm doing it right now. If you're online you have to reinvent yourself all the time. One thing goes pop and the next shows up in an instant. And believe you me when i say:

      nothing is "sudden luck". The more you work it, the more opportunities present themselves. For me right now daily more than i can handle. Have to prioritize and do only the ones i really want to do.

      If i would be all melancholic about that one good thing "went pop" i would sit around and ask question like yours "even know what the heck you want anymore" - better figure that one out first, if you dont know what you want you need to retire, if that is not possible, get on a self-seeking trip around the country. Take any job along the way. Nobody stops you, except yourself.
      true enough.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    What I tend to find is that one day I'll be really motivated to try and get ahead in life. But the next day I just lose all motivation, and don't really care. I just don't understand it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851878].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
      Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

      What I tend to find is that one day I'll be really motivated to try and get ahead in life. But the next day I just lose all motivation, and don't really care. I just don't understand it.
      Seems you are kinda just getting blown around in the wind and panic is taking over.

      First, clear your head of what you had before, if it's gone, it's gone.

      Second, go get yourself a brick and mortar job to take care of your current needs.

      Third, in your spare time, work on getting another biz going and don't even think of quitting the brick and mortar until it's very solid. Has to be something where you can do this for the long haul.

      Fourth, pay close attention to what's going on and be ready to make changes where you have to do them--be ready to implement ahead of time.

      Fifth, never, ever, spend all the money you make, put a large percentage away just in case life throws more rotten, moldy lemons at you and you have to start over again--except if it happens and you have money, you won't have the panic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10854545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    thats inneresting [its resting on the inner side]

    you need to be at peace with yourself on the inner side,
    take my previous advice and travel [around the country]
    or even go overseas - i did -and never looked back
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    You take all the lessons life has taught you and grow. Use the knowledge and experience to chase your dreams to the next level. Ignite your ambition!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by George Schwab View Post

    who needs backup plans?

    girls do

    i go with Tom Petty:

    i go into the big wide open, and maybe i'm free falling

    but never actually did so far

    it's all good - if you're good - some big spirit in the sky
    will rescue you - always ! have a little faith my friend.
    I would say most do, since most put into super, and p*** if all away when they retire and then go on the pension and suffer.

    Spirit in the sky, lol, so you are saying that if you run out of money or can't afford to live, then find a bridge, and oh, forget it.


    Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

    What I tend to find is that one day I'll be really motivated to try and get ahead in life. But the next day I just lose all motivation, and don't really care. I just don't understand it.
    Yes time to put the girly mag's away, (no seriously) you are like a wet noodle, when, hmmm!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10852228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theoperator
    I'd rather die than ever work a day job. No thanks. Like a job is modern day slavery. Why would you ever do that???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10858575].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by theoperator View Post

      I'd rather die than ever work a day job. No thanks. Like a job is modern day slavery. Why would you ever do that???
      Security probably and going overseas, and getting married, and the other thing.

      It takes big risks to make a lot online and have the rest, or stare into the abyss; most can't handle that, so a Tatts, ticket is as close as they get to wealth.

      I would gladly start up a business and employ people, if it creates wealth. But work hard for 30-40 years, only to end up with 50-100k, typical super at retirement in AU, and blow it all, and go on the pension and inevitably suffer, nah, screw that!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10858749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Schwab
    yeah mate, bit you can do that ANYWHERE

    i've done it here
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10858921].message }}

Trending Topics