Would You Still Be as Successful "Pre-Internet"?

11 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering who here would feel they would still be just as successful if let's say the internet never came about?

So, let's say someone transported you fifty years or even a hundred years (or more ) into the past (probably before you were even born ), do you feel you would still be almost as successful as you are now without the internet or your smart phones (or maybe even the computer)? What would you do to make money?
#past #preinternet #successful
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by davidhorph View Post

    Just out of curiosity, I was wondering who here would feel they would still be just as successful if let's say the internet never came about?

    So, let's say someone transported you fifty years or even a hundred years (or more ) into the past (probably before you were even born ), do you feel you would still be almost as successful as you are now without the internet or your smart phones (or maybe even the computer)? What would you do to make money?
    Well Fwiw back in 98' got laid off my Sales Job (and I didn't have Internet access back then) and so I started my own Ornamental Address Sign Biz out of my house and did that for nearly 5 years as a one man show.

    Made a Living and paid my bills and more...

    So for me, the answer is YES !!


    - Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicolasmd2112
    My answer would be no. Not because I don't know how to do anything else but because I am so completely stubborn and fixated on being my own boss that I won't settle for anything less. Whether I would still be this person in a time before technology, i'll never know, but what I do know is that it's almost as If I was supposed to be born into an era with so much opportunity, for me, it has worked out better than most can imagine!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879027].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hometutor
      Originally Posted by nicolasmd2112 View Post

      My answer would be no. Not because I don't know how to do anything else but because I am so completely stubborn and fixated on being my own boss that I won't settle for anything less. Whether I would still be this person in a time before technology, i'll never know, but what I do know is that it's almost as If I was supposed to be born into an era with so much opportunity, for me, it has worked out better than most can imagine!
      I always say the best bosses make the best employees and the best leaders make the best followers. I must ask, have you learned to listen?

      Rick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    The past is the past. This is a forum about Internet marketing. Businesses built for the Internet could not possibly be the same "pre-Internet." Successful business people, as Robert has described, can be successful whatever the delivery mechanism.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Meaney
    Pre Internet, I was taking business courses.. learning how to write business plans etc, the web stuff was initially a distraction from that path.. which eventually circled back round.

    So yeah, I'd be running some brick and mortar store, probably selling guitars and other instruments.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zdebx
    Do you think Mark Zuckerberg or Sergey Brin would be as successful "pre-internet"? It's a bit of a silly question, isn't it?

    If your business is based online and you are making a living purely from your online income, then if it wasn't for the Internet, then how would you make the money?

    50 years ago people made money differently. Forget the Internet, even computers weren't so common, let alone mobile phones...

    People adapt to their current world, so we would all be doing something completely different, if there was no Internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hometutor
    Originally Posted by davidhorph View Post

    Just out of curiosity, I was wondering who here would feel they would still be just as successful if let's say the internet never came about?

    So, let's say someone transported you fifty years or even a hundred years (or more ) into the past (probably before you were even born ), do you feel you would still be almost as successful as you are now without the internet or your smart phones (or maybe even the computer)? What would you do to make money?
    How old are you? The internet was just getting popular around 93 when I first got online. Before that I taught self-defense and gave in home computer lessons by sticking fliers in doorways and advertising in the classifieds. I STILL use offline marketing methods and even published a book on how I successfully built up my computer business WITH offline marketing methods.

    The internet is a tool, use it, but not exclusively.

    Rick
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by hometutor View Post

      The internet is a tool, use it, but not exclusively.


      Silly.

      Only a bazillion successful online businesses use the internet, exclusively
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    No idea, but the thought of not being able to make money sitting around when I want is SCARY!!!
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879167].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    probably not..

    i doubt a baby shower host would buy decorations and/or games from a 6ft 200lb man

    LOL

    -Ike Paz
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10879359].message }}

Trending Topics