Rocket Man blasts off trying to prove Earth is flat!

by DWolfe
36 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
From Yahoo
Self-taught rocket scientist 'Mad' Mike Hughes blasts off into California sky - World - CBC News

Another wacky that thinks the Earth is flat built his own steam powered rocket.


Video - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...owered-rocket/


Warning: Don't try this at Home - he was injured!
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    Why, oh, why, won't Claude try this?
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335321].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Why, oh, why, won't Claude try this?
      Claude can't defy the laws of Gravity !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

        Claude can't defy the laws of Gravity !
        But it was a gas powered rocket. Claude should be able to do this on his own.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Why, oh, why, won't Claude try this?
      Why not you? Your about a fifth my weight, and half my height. We could literally send you in orbit with fireworks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335407].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        We could literally send you in orbit with fireworks.
        A good boot up his arse would achieve the same thing.

        There'd be no shortage of volunteers to do the booting either.
        Signature
        When they turn the pages of history, when these days have passed long ago,
        Will they read of us with sadness, for the seeds that we let grow
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335421].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

          A good boot up his arse would achieve the same thing.
          isn't "boot" another word for condom?


          By the way, a guy thinking the Earth is flat, and trying to build his own rocket?

          The only reason we think that this is dumber than average...is because it's not commonly done.

          We all believe things far more ridiculous than "The Earth is flat". Including me.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335921].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            isn't "boot" another word for condom?


            By the way, a guy thinking the Earth is flat, and trying to build his own rocket?

            The only reason we think that this is dumber than average...is because it's not commonly done.

            We all believe things far more ridiculous than "The Earth is flat". Including me.
            Pray, do tell.
            Signature

            Marriage, For The Best Arguments

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I'm tired of people saying I chickened out and didn't build a rocket. I'm tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it."
    So often the reason is 'what other people are saying"....

    Build several rockets - launch, go splat....launch, go splat....launch, go splat....

    People will really be impressed when you are brain dead...wait, already there?
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world of one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      So often the reason is 'what other people are saying"....

      Build several rockets - launch, go splat....launch, go splat....launch, go splat....
      and end up dead !
      Fixed that for you

      Also going to run for Governor that's if he lives....!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    The world is flat, otherwise we would always be walking downhill. Basic Science
    Signature

    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    If this guy can do it, so can I.

    I've always believed the world is actually a triangle. I'm currently raising funds to help me build a rocket that will conclusively prove this.

    Please forward your life savings to:

    The World Is A Triangle Fund
    c/- Whattybank
    Lagos
    Nigeria.

    Isn't it exciting to be living in a new golden age of science and discovery?
    Signature
    When they turn the pages of history, when these days have passed long ago,
    Will they read of us with sadness, for the seeds that we let grow
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

      If this guy can do it, so can I.

      I've always believed the world is actually a triangle. I'm currently raising funds to help me build a rocket that will conclusively prove this.

      Please forward your life savings to:

      The World Is A Triangle Fund
      c/- Whattybank
      Lagos
      Nigeria.

      Isn't it exciting to be living in a new golden age of science and discovery?
      Which would explain those mysterious clanging noises that have been heard across the globe of late. Yes, I see it now. Can I email you my banking information?
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

      If this guy can do it, so can I.

      I've always believed the world is actually a triangle. I'm currently raising funds to help me build a rocket that will conclusively prove this.

      Please forward your life savings to:

      The World Is A Triangle Fund
      c/- Whattybank
      Lagos
      Nigeria.

      Isn't it exciting to be living in a new golden age of science and discovery?
      Sorry l have already sent everything to the Nigerian Prince, that cannot access his money due to a coo, and has promised me, a harem and all the gold that l can eat.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

    From Yahoo
    Self-taught rocket scientist 'Mad' Mike Hughes blasts off into California sky - World - CBC News

    Another wacky that thinks the Earth is flat built his own steam powered rocket.


    Video - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...owered-rocket/


    Warning: Don't try this at Home - he was injured!
    He came down almost as fast as Claude on a teeter totter...
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11335962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    Why not you? Your about a fifth my weight, and half my height. We could literally send you in orbit with fireworks.
    Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

    He came down almost as fast as Claude on a teeter totter...
    If you were to teeter totter with each other, how many Riffles would it take to balance with one Claude? Archimedes wants to know...
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    The Flat Earth Society should be taken seriously. They have members all around the globe.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      The Flat Earth Society should be taken seriously. They have members all around the globe.
      All three corners of it.
      Signature
      When they turn the pages of history, when these days have passed long ago,
      Will they read of us with sadness, for the seeds that we let grow
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

    The Flat Earth Society should be taken seriously. They have members all around the globe.
    Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

    All three corners of it.
    Yes, the latest Qantas non stop flight from Perth to London, was a killer, they had to dodge the dragons and keep close to the edges so they wouldn't fly into deep space.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I'm confused - if the earth is flat, why would you need to blast off....couldn't you just go to the edge and step off? Would be much easier....and cheaper.

    Sometime the details of a story just mess me up...
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world of one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336607].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      I'm confused - if the earth is flat, why would you need to blast off....couldn't you just go to the edge and step off? Would be much easier....and cheaper.

      Sometime the details of a story just mess me up...
      You are assuming that someone who believes the Earth is flat has a functioning frontal lobe in their brain. I'm not joking. Many people lead normal lives without any higher executive function.

      What did this guy think was going to happen when he hit the stars? or the ceiling? or Heaven? or made it to Mount Olympus?

      By the way, are all planets flat or just this one? Is the Sun flat? Is the Moon flat? Where are the stars? Are they flat too? If you dig on a flat Earth...what do you eventually run into? If the Earth is flat, why are there different time zones? Where do satellites go? Where does the Sun go at night?

      A conversation with a flat Earther would be interesting, to watch the ever changing rationale...to allow them to keep their "world view". ....because there is no way you could change their mind.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336701].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        You are assuming that someone who believes the Earth is flat has a functioning frontal lobe in their brain. I'm not joking. Many people lead normal lives without any higher executive function.

        What did this guy think was going to happen when he hit the stars? or the ceiling? or Heaven? or made it to Mount Olympus?

        By the way, are all planets flat or just this one? Is the Sun flat? Is the Moon flat? Where are the stars? Are they flat too? If you dig on a flat Earth...what do you eventually run into? If the Earth is flat, why are there different time zones? Where do satellites go? Where does the Sun go at night?

        A conversation with a flat Earther would be interesting, to watch the ever changing rationale...to allow them to keep their "world view". ....because there is no way you could change their mind.
        where you know you won't change their mind.. it is much more interesting to probe the full extent of the world view and what path in life brought someone to view something people have known wasn't true for thousands of years or even longer ..

        testing different peoples world views is fun ..
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336750].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          where you know you won't change their mind.. it is much more interesting to probe the full extent of the world view and what path in life brought someone to view something people have known wasn't true for thousands of years or even longer ..

          testing different peoples world views is fun ..
          Exploring a person's world view is different from trying to educate them...or change their minds. I can check my frustration at the door.

          But for me, the temptation to ask questions designed to change their minds is almost overpowering. Especially if I actually care about the person.

          My brother was profoundly Schizophrenic. He was sure (among other things) that the TV newspeople were talking to him personally.

          So I would ask questions like;

          Is everyone else watching this seeing the same broadcast you are?
          What do you think they are saying? What did the guy say just now?
          How does that apply only to you, and not everyone else?

          I was trying to connect with a part of his brain that would see that his idea was nonsensical. But alas, he would say something like "5 people died. They say I killed them, but I can keep them away".

          I had an advertising rep (that sold to me) that was deathly afraid of ghosts and told me about the ones she saw. I would ask her questions about the ghosts, to watch her create the answer on the spot. Not remember the ghost, but create the narrative as she spoke. She had no idea she was doing it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336753].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Exploring a person's world view is different from trying to educate them...or change their minds. I can check my frustration at the door.

            But for me, the temptation to ask questions designed to change their minds is almost overpowering. Especially if I actually care about the person.

            My brother was profoundly Schizophrenic. He was sure (among other things) that the TV newspeople were talking to him personally.

            So I would ask questions like;

            Is everyone else watching this seeing the same broadcast you are?
            What do you think they are saying? What did the guy say just now?
            How does that apply only to you, and not everyone else?

            I was trying to connect with a part of his brain that would see that his idea was nonsensical. But alas, he would say something like "5 people died. They say I killed them, but I can keep them away".

            I had an advertising rep (that sold to me) that was deathly afraid of ghosts and told me about the ones she saw. I would ask her questions about the ghosts, to watch her create the answer on the spot. Not remember the ghost, but create the narrative as she spoke. She had no idea she was doing it.
            besides high functioning autism and rapid cycling bi polar disorder ..and a half dozen other sub conditions .. My shrink told me i was just prone to believing the worst was happening ..or i generally expect the worst to happen .. which is almost worse than paranoia sometimes ..

            I am much more functional and mentally stable ..the warmer the environment i am in is.. but i lived in the north east ..south of boston the first 38 years of my life ..so now i am forty and floating around trying out different environments to live in ..but i went to the other extreme i spend a year and a half in las vegas..and now i am in tucson arizona ..

            I am aware of my world view .. now i tell you i have dealt with other people with the same stories your brother and the sales rep had .. with your brothers stort i would be getting up and looking ou the window ..claiming to look for cops or cameras pointed at the apartment or house ..as for ghosts most people i know who have scene ghoast.. smoke meth so ..it just the drugs man
            Signature

            "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336766].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        You are assuming that someone who believes the Earth is flat has a functioning frontal lobe in their brain. I'm not joking. Many people lead normal lives without any higher executive function.

        What did this guy think was going to happen when he hit the stars? or the ceiling? or Heaven? or made it to Mount Olympus?

        By the way, are all planets flat or just this one? Is the Sun flat? Is the Moon flat? Where are the stars? Are they flat too? If you dig on a flat Earth...what do you eventually run into? If the Earth is flat, why are there different time zones? Where do satellites go? Where does the Sun go at night?

        A conversation with a flat Earther would be interesting, to watch the ever changing rationale...to allow them to keep their "world view". ....because there is no way you could change their mind.
        The stars, moon and planets are just holographic projections (which negates having to explain why they are circular), the sun moves round in a circle above you to give you day and night, it is just a large light bulb really, any Flat Earther will tell you that. Above us is a huge dome which keeps the air in, above that is liquid. That's about it except that if we try to find the edge we will be met with an impossibly high barrier which goes all the way around.

        Oh we have never been into space, the moon, or any of the planets, that's impossible so NASA launch rockets that go into an arc and land in the sea. Basic Science.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    The guy made it to 1800 feet....not quite outer space.

    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11336926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/mad-mi...ught-on-video/ Guess he never proved the Earth was Flat
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11579257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Give the guy a little credit. He did prove that you can blast off the earth in a rocket and..

    land "flat" on your ass.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11579279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Albert O’Connor
    The world is flat, otherwise we would always be walking downhill. Basic Science
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11580017].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
      Originally Posted by Albert O'Connor View Post

      The world is flat, otherwise we would always be walking downhill. Basic Science
      The world is not flat. I guess you got a F in Science when you were in School.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11580045].message }}

Trending Topics