Stock Trading Applications and Software

21 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Any Warriors using Stock Trading Applications and Software to actively Buy/Sell/Trade? Currently using Robinhood, We Bull and Acorns, are there any other recommended programs for Stock Trading?
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Robinhood, lucky duck, although RH, reviews are less than spectacular.

    Fastrade, (covers England, Europe, etc. Free trades, but a 2 day processing time period) and Utrader, (also Europe, with immediate clearance of options, but a $1 on entry and exit).

    I live in Australia, so have to stay with Stake, (spotless track record, no option fee's, but at the moment it has a two day processing funds wait).

    Robinhood is supposed to arrive in AU, soon, although we have been waiting a few years, so one of those fullness in time deals.

    Stake should be immediate clearance of funds in a few months time, so l can get out at higher resistance, and back at lower, but at the moment my focus is more on Spring trading.

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    I've been using MetaStock for about 20+. years. It's not cheap, but well worth the price especially if you're doing heavy day trading and futures options.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    How stable are the European, AU and Asian markets compared to the US markets?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428812].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by DURABLEOILCOM View Post

      How stable are the European, AU and Asian markets compared to the US markets?
      The Australian Stock market is slow overall, and better for long term investors, which is thankfully why Stake only deals with US stocks.

      So stable but hideously slow, l have messed with some English and Japanese stocks on rare occasions, but always go back to the US.

      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    No market is really stable. The global crash last February opened up some fantastic investment opportunities in some European and Asian markets. But as a day trader, I have generally preferred the volatility of US stocks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    If you're a long-term investor, you don't need no steenkin' software. Simply invest in Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and Salesforce - since they just partnered with Apple and were strong before doing so, with a world-class CEO at the helm. You could make worse picks.

    Oh, if you're a more active trader you might want to short Tesla, but that could be a sucker's bet. lol

    Do keep in mind that the market could see a 20% correction in the next year. Most of the problems that existed in 2008 still exist. Some have new names, some are worse than they were then and there are new issues to contend with, also. If you compare many of the problems from then, with today's numbers, it will scare the crap out of you. It won't take much to set-off a tumble. LOOK OUT BELOOOOOOOW!!!

    I'm sorry, but there is only one completely safe bet on the planet and that's Apple. You know, that little computer company that has been supposedly going bankrupt since 1984. They're just one product cycle away from heading into the dumper. Why gamble? There are so few sure bets in life, why would anyone pass one up?
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    In my not so humble opinion, it is essential to vigilantly track your investments, and there is no way you can effectively watch the primary technical indicators or analyze investment opportunities without using a software tool. FYI, less than 10% of all stock-trading volume is the result of investors manually picking stocks to buy and sell.

    Even Apple suffered a significant price drop during the global stock market crash in February. Google has been on a roller coaster this whole year. Facebook dropped 20% in July. Amazon went down big time in 2010.

    Lots of investors thought General Motors (GM) was too big to fail (even I thought this way), and many lost fortunes when it went bankrupt in 2009. But using my software, I was in profit by day trading with the short price spikes all the way down

    Are Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google the sure-bet growth machines they once were?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429286].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by myob View Post

      Are Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google the sure-bet growth machines they once were?
      In my humble opinion, long-term, all are winners, except Twitter. Twitter is a turdfest, both as a stock and as a plague on society. Facebook is also a demon seed, but it does have some relevance - as in 1.2B users, but I'm not in that number.

      I only own one stock, so I don't need to track anything. It's more along the lines of watching the value continue to rise and ignoring the pullbacks.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429300].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author myob
        Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

        In my humble opinion, long-term, all are winners,.
        Over the long term, the trend is on the rise for the stock market in general, but not all are winners. Tying up funds for the long haul may work for a few stocks, but empirically researched diversification reduces the inherent risk of investing from the gut. .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
          Originally Posted by myob View Post

          but not all are winners.
          I meant all of the few I was referring to - except Twitter.

          Tying up funds for the long haul may work for a few stocks,
          That was my main message. :-)

          but empirically researched diversification reduces the inherent risk of investing from the gut. .
          For that, I'd go with ETF's.

          Cheers.
          Signature

          "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429672].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author myob
            Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

            For that, I'd go with ETF's.
            ETFs can be just as risky or even more so than stocks. They generally really don't perform well, and hundreds of these close every year.

            Beginners especially should always be aware of your risks and costs regardless of your underlying portfolio strategy.

            This is especially important in today's environment, where the siren call of current stock market conditions lures in unsuspecting hopefuls.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429777].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
              Originally Posted by myob View Post

              ETFs can be just as risky or even more so than stocks. They generally really don't perform well, and hundreds of these close every year.

              Beginners especially should always be aware of your risks and costs regardless of your underlying portfolio strategy.

              This is especially important in today's environment, where the siren call of current stock market conditions lures in unsuspecting hopefuls.
              These are all reasons why I am NOT a stock trader or investor. I don't feel that even owning one stock, qualifies me to call myself an investor. I'm just a fan boy for Apple, but it has been a great ride. :-)
              Signature

              "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429793].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

                These are all reasons why I am NOT a stock trader or investor. I don't feel that even owning one stock, qualifies me to call myself an investor. I'm just a fan boy for Apple, but it has been a great ride. :-)
                etfs are perfectly safe if when the market goes down the next time the person doesn't freak out and sell off their eft .. or of course the eft doesn't go out of business and get liquidated ..

                i have no real interest in the stock market as i can't do anything to increase or decrease the value of any stock i own .. or have a say over how i earn income from it ..now a few years down the road after the next recession..unless we have hit that time where there will be no more recessions and the market will only go up.. i might put money in then..

                but In my view the more of my success /income / wealth .. i put in the hand of the outside world .. with the hope of security .. blah blah.. the more power over the way i live my life i hand over ..

                so personal view i will not sell to others
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by myob View Post

      In my not so humble opinion, it is essential to vigilantly track your investments, and there is no way you can effectively watch the primary technical indicators or analyze investment opportunities without using a software tool. FYI, less than 10% of all stock-trading volume is the result of investors manually picking stocks to buy and sell.

      Even Apple suffered a significant price drop during the global stock market crash in February. Google has been on a roller coaster this whole year. Facebook dropped 20% in July. Amazon went down big time in 2010.
      Agreed, the private investment forum l am with, has an option to bring up the 10 best stocks, with Apple, Amazon and Facebook being consistently listed.

      But high volume stocks need to be watched and low volume can be left alone.

      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

    These are all reasons why I am NOT a stock trader or investor. I don't feel that even owning one stock, qualifies me to call myself an investor. I'm just a fan boy for Apple, but it has been a great ride. :-)
    OMG! I made a small fortune from Microsoft, then sold it all in 2006 to buy Amazon stock. I liked Bezo's style and vision. It was a great ride too, but I'm still an investor and long-time fan boy for MS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429803].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by myob View Post

      OMG! I made a small fortune from Microsoft, then sold it all in 2006 to buy Amazon stock. I liked Bezo's style and vision. It was a great ride too, but I'm still an investor and long-time fan boy for MS.
      So - you've made a long-term investment in the dark side? :-)

      I've been fortunate in another way. Forget the stock. Everything I have I owe to being able to become extremely computer literate by getting a Macintosh, the day they were released. I could have never operated any business, successfully, without my Macs.

      I struggled so much trying to learn to use a PC, that I actually bought a high-end Wang word-processor to launch my first data-centric business, before the Mac was released.

      I just couldn't get it, My brain works the same way the MacOS does, although my brain has crashed on occasion. :-)
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author myob
        Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

        So - you've made a long-term investment in the dark side? :-)
        This is one of a few stocks I bought on a whim. When Amazon bought a huge tract of land in West Texas in 2006 for a launch and test facility for Blue Origin, a human spaceflight startup company, I was hooked. I sold all my shares in Microsoft and put it all in Amazon.

        Bezo's vision was (and still is) impressive. When he graduated as valedictorian in high school in 1982, his speech was followed up with a Miami Herald interview in which he expressed an interest to build and develop hotels, amusement parks, and colonies for people who were in orbit.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429833].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Odahh
          Originally Posted by myob View Post

          This is one of a few stocks I bought on a whim. When Amazon bought a huge tract of land in West Texas in 2006 for a launch and test facility for Blue Origin, a human spaceflight startup company, I was hooked. I sold all my shares in Microsoft and put it all in Amazon.

          Bezo's vision was (and still is) impressive. When he graduated as valedictorian in high school in 1982, his speech was followed up with a Miami Herald interview in which he expressed an interest to build and develop hotels, amusement parks, and colonies for people who were in orbit.
          you missed it he was talking about microsoft
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429841].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
          Originally Posted by myob View Post

          This is one of a few stocks I bought on a whim. When Amazon bought a huge tract of land in West Texas in 2006 for a launch and test facility for Blue Origin, a human spaceflight startup company, I was hooked. I sold all my shares in Microsoft and put it all in Amazon.

          Bezo's vision was (and still is) impressive. When he graduated as valedictorian in high school in 1982, his speech was followed up with a Miami Herald interview in which he expressed an interest to build and develop hotels, amusement parks, and colonies for people who were in orbit.
          Yes. I have a strong respect for visionaries. I think he's just getting warmed up. :-)
          Signature

          "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11429847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    I have been doing alot of research on stocks and the general consensus says that Vanguard and Charles Schwab are the two top players to get involved with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Vangard's funds have been under performing in the market for years. And even though Charles Schwab offers "advice" on trades, much of it may be self-serving. Serious investors really should consult with a certified financial planner, especially in the beginning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431810].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics