Subliminal Messages in Videos "Do Not Try This At Home"

27 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Never thought about this before today and have not given it much thought or research. Also, I'm concerned about the ethics and reputation.

As I understand it - its pretty easy to add subliminal messages (message) to videos with sound. All one needs to do is make the sound level of the main video higher than the sound of the message. Care of the message sound level must be very, very low wherein one can barely hear it.

What are your opinions about the ethics and reputation? Personally, I would not buy anything if I knew it had a message and I would stomp on any internet marketer that does it.

Do you know of any IMers that do it? Just a yes or no is fine. No names.

Side note:
Some people on youtube advocate it in the sense of positive messages such as weight loss. Then there is the opposite being negative messages such as the college student sending mom an entertaining video from campus with the message "send money" lol.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    I think a lot of people assume 'subliminal' to mean 'effective brainwash'.

    I don't think it's anything more than a last 'reach' in a persons or companys efforts.

    It's everywhere in visuals, so I wouldn't regard audio to be much different.

    Richard Bransons brand wouldn't look out of place in the red light district.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    if the subliminal s are in line with the message of the rest of the content ..

    tai lopez ..main target audience from his own words ..is males or people from 18-25 so mainly males..so their is a subliminal element to him having either very nice fast cars ..or very attractive women in his advertising ..or even the big house in Hollywood or Beverly hills ..

    there are the hoax ..creepy ,,shady thing classified as subliminal messages that i have seen no supporting research on.. then there is the sizzle and the smell that hells sell the steak ..

    it is like the skinny sexy woman in beer adds ..woman who drink a lot of beer don't look like that for long..but once a man drinks enough beer .. more and more woman will look like that ..haha
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Jeffery is craving possum,,,, Jeffery is craving possum .... on and on it goes as he walks by the fresh possum stew in the refrigerator. Comes from the subliminal message that is playing in his mind.

    Stomach hears it loud and clear
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482706].message }}
  • All I know is, soon as anythin' featurin' Benedict Cumberbatch shows on my TV, ima up close on the action on a shimmied-boobies-to-screen ticket.

    Cos like ... Aladdin rubbed real hard on a lamp an' got a genie, right?

    That is why I wear only natchrl fiber bras; don't wanna electrocute my frickin' self evry time I watch Sherlock.

    (Gotta figure the Off Taahpic Diehards packin' srs man boobs on a shimmy-with-Joolier-Roberts ticket understand 'bout keepin SUMTHIN' on, even if it ain't no bra, otherwise them shimmiables kinda STICK to the screen when the heat comes on, an' it is the worst kinda pain.)

    Thing is, we known for sum time 'bout how suggestive imagry plays before the eyeballs of the potentially suggestible.

    That is why plenty places outside of DESPOT CENTRAL got real strict advertizin' laws.

    Problem right now is the subliminal stuff seepin' out onto the internets alongside alla the upfront stuffs 'bout how cryprocurrency gonna transform your lymphatic system into a finely-tooned pheromone squirtin' machine.

    What is the diffrence between provocative imagry thrust into the ether by visionary artists whose challenge to hoomanity is essentially benevolent ... an' similarly provocative imagry calculated to achieve less generously unifyin' effects?

    Tough question!

    Speshly if'n you loadin' up on Insta as a 13yo with zero frickin' clue 'bout tellin' the diffrence.between degrees of clear & present HOTNESS.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

      All I know is, soon as anythin' featurin' Benedict Cumberbatch shows on my TV, ima up close on the action on a shimmied-boobies-to-screen ticket.

      Cos like ... Aladdin rubbed real hard on a lamp an' got a genie, right?

      That is why I wear only natchrl fiber bras; don't wanna electrocute my frickin' self evry time I watch Sherlock.

      (Gotta figure the Off Taahpic Diehards packin' srs man boobs on a shimmy-with-Joolier-Roberts ticket understand 'bout keepin SUMTHIN' on, even if it ain't no bra, otherwise them shimmiables kinda STICK to the screen when the heat comes on, an' it is the worst kinda pain.)

      Thing is, we known for sum time 'bout how suggestive imagry plays before the eyeballs of the potentially suggestible.

      That is why plenty places outside of DESPOT CENTRAL got real strict advertizin' laws.

      Problem right now is the subliminal stuff seepin' out onto the internets alongside alla the upfront stuffs 'bout how cryprocurrency gonna transform your lymphatic system into a finely-tooned pheromone squirtin' machine.

      What is the diffrence between provocative imagry thrust into the ether by visionary artists whose challenge to hoomanity is essentially benevolent ... an' similarly provocative imagry calculated to achieve less generously unifyin' effects?

      Tough question!

      Speshly if'n you loadin' up on Insta as a 13yo with zero frickin' clue 'bout tellin' the diffrence.between degrees of clear & present HOTNESS.

      I sincerely hope that when the first aliens visit earth that you are the first human they interact with (mean that in a good way).
      Signature

      Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482710].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

    Never thought about this before today and have not given it much thought or research. Also, I'm concerned about the ethics and reputation.

    As I understand it - its pretty easy to add subliminal messages (message) to videos with sound. All one needs to do is make the sound level of the main video higher than the sound of the message. Care of the message sound level must be very, very low wherein one can barely hear it.

    What are your opinions about the ethics and reputation? Personally, I would not buy anything if I knew it had a message and I would stomp on any internet marketer that does it.

    Do you know of any IMers that do it? Just a yes or no is fine. No names.

    Side note:
    Some people on youtube advocate it in the sense of positive messages such as weight loss. Then there is the opposite being negative messages such as the college student sending mom an entertaining video from campus with the message "send money" lol.

    it's not that it's unethical. It's that it doesn't work. Sure, you can show photos that look "sexy", and make them think of sex...or show things that aren't registering consciously, but register subconsciously.

    But playing music with inaudible messages? That was a craze. And it doesn't work. The brain can't hear...what you can't hear. If music masks the message, you aren't hearing it at all.

    And..are you ready? If the message is barely audible, the brain will complete the puzzle by making you think you are hearing something other than what's being played.

    It's why we make huge mistakes in song lyrics if they aren't sung really clearly. And why kids think one letter of the alphabet is "Elemenohpee".

    If you play the instrumentals of a new song, and use subliminal levels for the lyrics...you'll never learn the lyrics.

    I know...I know...someone is going to say they learned Shakespeare this way, or stopped smoking. But it isn't true. It used to be believed, until the science caught up.


    Oh, and that "don't swim for an hour after eating" thing was just made up too.

    Now, if you don't mind...I'm going to sit under my pyramid and chant, while vibrating my Chakras.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482723].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      I'm going to sit under my pyramid and chant, while vibrating my Chakras.
      You'll go blind. (Which is another myth that has been proven wrong).
      Signature
      Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
      It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482736].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      it's not that it's unethical. It's that it doesn't work. Sure, you can show photos that look "sexy", and make them think of sex...or show things that aren't registering consciously, but register subconsciously.

      But playing music with inaudible messages? That was a craze. And it doesn't work. The brain can't hear...what you can't hear. If music masks the message, you aren't hearing it at all.

      And..are you ready? If the message is barely audible, the brain will complete the puzzle by making you think you are hearing something other than what's being played.

      It's why we make huge mistakes in song lyrics if they aren't sung really clearly. And why kids think one letter of the alphabet is "Elemenohpee".

      If you play the instrumentals of a new song, and use subliminal levels for the lyrics...you'll never learn the lyrics.

      I know...I know...someone is going to say they learned Shakespeare this way, or stopped smoking. But it isn't true. It used to be believed, until the science caught up.


      Oh, and that "don't swim for an hour after eating" thing was just made up too.

      Now, if you don't mind...I'm going to sit under my pyramid and chant, while vibrating my Chakras.
      You have to understand that there's
      one thing very easily overlooked
      under the auspices of subliminal and
      subconscious advertising that I'm afraid
      most don't understand or at least can't
      envision that makes the format very
      likely to be effective and useful for certain
      levels of manipulation. Do you see it?
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482739].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        You have to understand that there's
        one thing very easily overlooked
        under the auspices of subliminal and
        subconscious advertising that I'm afraid
        most don't understand or at least can't
        envision that makes the format very
        likely to be effective and useful for certain
        levels of manipulation. Do you see it?

        Only the run on sentence.... the droning. What is it you're showing us?

        There are visual subliminal messages, embedded in photos that work. There are messages that contain subliminal suggestions that can work. It is the idea that hidden messages that are inaudible, under music that doesn't wok as promised.

        By the way, I read your message three times and I just sent in for my MAGA hat. Did you do that?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482744].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Only the run on sentence.... the droning. What is it you're showing us?

          There are visual subliminal messages, embedded in photos that work. There are messages that contain subliminal suggestions that can work. It is the idea that hidden messages that are inaudible, under music that doesn't wok as promised.

          By the way, I read your message three times and I just sent in for my MAGA hat. Did you do that?
          It's right under your nose...
          Signature

          If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482748].message }}
          • Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

            It's right under your nose...
            OK, I give up. What's the secret message?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482750].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              OK, I give up. What's the secret message?
              Secret message. Maybe.

              You really stink at this.
              Signature

              If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482763].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
                Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

                Secret message. Maybe.

                You really stink at this.
                You might need to capitalise the message in order for to penetrate the two inches of bone and three inches of blubber that surrounds the walnut that is Claude's brain.
                Signature
                Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
                It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482963].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author savidge4
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              OK, I give up. What's the secret message?
              XXX XXXXX XXXXXX XX XXXX XXXX Claude " XXX XXXXX "

              The comment has been masked to see how long it takes Claude to figure this out.
              Signature
              Success is an ACT not an idea
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482764].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        You have to understand that there's
        one thing very easily overlooked
        under the auspices of subliminal and
        subconscious advertising that I'm afraid
        most don't understand or at least can't
        envision that makes the format very
        likely to be effective and useful for certain
        levels of manipulation. Do you see it?
        The only thing I see is that you are using visual cues, like in Neuro-linguistic Programming.

        My guess is that you are just poking me with a stick, and the others are playing along.

        But....I'm still waiting to see what I'm missing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483081].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          The only thing I see is that you are using visual cues, like in Neuro-linguistic Programming.

          My guess is that you are just poking me with a stick, and the others are playing along.

          But....I'm still waiting to see what I'm missing.
          Maybe go take a bath and think on it.
          Signature

          If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483087].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
        Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        You have to understand that there's
        one thing very easily overlooked
        under the auspices of subliminal and
        subconscious advertising that I'm afraid
        most don't understand or at least can't
        envision that makes the format very
        likely to be effective and useful for certain
        levels of manipulation. Do you see it?
        Y
        o
        u
        s
        m
        e
        l
        l
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483211].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

          Y
          o
          u
          s
          m
          e
          l
          l
          Thank you Janice.

          Finally, someone
          understands what I am
          constantly going through. It's a
          kind of nonsensical
          ridiculous mental process involving
          imagination and concentration.
          frankly, it's kind of
          funny that I haven't noticed how
          likely this is to happen. But it may happen to
          everyone. Who knows?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483480].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Finally, someone
            understands what I am
            constantly going through. It's a
            kind of nonsensical
            ridiculous mental process involving
            imagination and concentration.
            frankly, it's kind of
            funny that I haven't noticed how
            likely this is to happen. But it may happen to
            everyone. Who knows?
            Ooooooh, l understand!

            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483484].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      it's not that it's unethical. It's that it doesn't work. Sure, you can show photos that look "sexy", and make them think of sex...or show things that aren't registering consciously, but register subconsciously.

      But playing music with inaudible messages? That was a craze. And it doesn't work. The brain can't hear...what you can't hear. If music masks the message, you aren't hearing it at all.

      And..are you ready? If the message is barely audible, the brain will complete the puzzle by making you think you are hearing something other than what's being played.

      It's why we make huge mistakes in song lyrics if they aren't sung really clearly. And why kids think one letter of the alphabet is "Elemenohpee".

      If you play the instrumentals of a new song, and use subliminal levels for the lyrics...you'll never learn the lyrics.

      I know...I know...someone is going to say they learned Shakespeare this way, or stopped smoking. But it isn't true. It used to be believed, until the science caught up.


      Oh, and that "don't swim for an hour after eating" thing was just made up too.

      Now, if you don't mind...I'm going to sit under my pyramid and chant, while vibrating my Chakras.

      What you wrote! The whole "subliminal messages" thing is a joke, it doesn't work and actually has in its foundation a fraud committed by a market researcher in 1957 and people still believe the whole thing works.


      https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30878843
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499603].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

    Your mouth.
    Which one?

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11482787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

    You have to understand that there's
    one thing very easily overlooked
    under the auspices of subliminal and
    subconscious advertising that I'm afraid
    most don't understand or at least can't
    envision that makes the format very
    likely to be effective and useful for certain
    levels of manipulation. Do you see it?
    Yep, l get it, it is easy to throw pebbles into a pond after rocks have been thrown in for some time.

    Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

    Maybe go take a bath and think on it.
    A bath! Don't wait up!

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483102].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Yep, l get it, it is easy to throw pebbles into a pond after rocks have been thrown in for some time.



      A bath! Don't wait up!

      If Claude were as wise as he thinks, he would throw himself in that pond along with a bar of soap.








      (I can do this forever...)
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483105].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
        Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        If Claude were as wise as he thinks, he would throw himself in that pond
        If the residents of Wooster were wiser they'd throw Claude in the pond with an anvil tied around his neck.
        Signature
        Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
        It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483202].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        If Claude were as wise as he thinks, he would throw himself in that pond along with a bar of soap.

        (I can do this forever...)
        Claude does regularly go to the Wooster Mens Bathhouse and Feather Emporium, pleading with the half dozen overweight members in the Sauna to throw him in the deep end of the heated pool.

        Sometimes they oblige and sometimes he ends up on the street, which has lead to several arrests for indecency and toxic substances act cleanups.

        Some children have been comotized for life because they ignored their mothers stern warning not to go near that white, bloated, unconscious mass on the sidewalk, that appears to be alive.

        Some children have also used a stick, but to no avail, they always end up running away screaming and needing concilling and a jumbo sized lillypop.



        Yeah, me too!


        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11483243].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics