How Far Are The Nearest Stars

25 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |

Not a bad representation, although not sure how the ant fits in, lol.


Although with the ground based lazer concept, that would take 20 years, Deadalus will probably be filed away than developed.

Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    How Far Are The Nearest Stars
    In Sydney I used to live across the street from someone who once had a recurring role in Neighbours, and starred in a number of theatrical productions.

    So, to answer your question, about 20 metres.
    Signature
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex
    Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11485956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    my nearest star is just beyond my grasp
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    How Far Are The Nearest Stars? - YouTube

    Not a bad representation, although not sure how the ant fits in, lol.

    Project Daedalus - The 50 year starship mission - YouTube

    Although with the ground based lazer concept, that would take 20 years, Deadalus will probably be filed away than developed.

    i got a shirt like that guy but mine is considerably more culturally significant - the beatles evolution, sort of like monkees at abbey road
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      i got a shirt like that guy but mine is considerably more culturally significant - the beatles evolution, sort of like monkees at abbey road
      i read the news today oh boy - peter tork dies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

    In Sydney I used to live across the street from someone who once had a recurring role in Neighbours, and starred in a number of theatrical productions.

    So, to answer your question, about 20 metres.
    Yeah, l have seen one from Home and Away at the shopping ctr nearby, l didn't know who she was until l saw her picture in the paper the next day.

    But walking about in a red dress, with a smile on her face, (everyone else wasn't) while acting like she had won div, one in Tattslotto and was waiting for the cheque, did make her stand out. Especially at Woolies.

    Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

    i got a shirt like that guy but mine is considerably more culturally significant - the beatles evolution, sort of like monkees at abbey road
    But the point is, our nearest stars are trillions of km's away.

    Deadalus is a cool idea, but 20 years to collect the fuel, not worth it. If we get warp drive up and running and send 1000 mini robots to Bernards Star, in a few weeks, then the percentage that survives, would certainly be worth the cost of the percentage that got destroyed, because a spec of duct hammered them.

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486130].message }}
  • Gotta figure the stars always so way out far beyond evrythin' you actshwlly evah do they jus' a perfectly forgettable backdrop to whatevah is gowin' on in your life less'n astronomer, astronaut, or sum kinda "blast my ass out here, ffs idc" entreprenoor says otherwise.

    tbh I jus' wanna cup their glow in my navel as I splat out all kinda Yogasweetsy flat.

    Guess ima real stoopid that way.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Another way of seeing this is...

    if the sun were the size of a basketball...and the Earth was the size of a pea...

    The nearest star would be 5,000 miles away.

    So, for any method of propulsion what we could possibly build (except in our imagination) we would be sending a probe that would take 30,000 to 50,000 years to get to the next star.

    And every other star is a multiple of that distance away.

    So, children, except for a small colony on Mars...maybe....this is it. There is no other planet or moon available that is compatible with human life.

    Sleep tight.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      Another way of seeing this is...

      if the sun were the size of a basketball...and the Earth was the size of a pea...

      The nearest star would be 5,000 miles away.

      So, for any method of propulsion what we could possibly build (except in our imagination) we would be sending a probe that would take 30,000 to 50,000 years to get to the next star.

      And every other star is a multiple of that distance away.

      So, children, except for a small colony on Mars...maybe....this is it. There is no other planet or moon available that is compatible with human life.

      Sleep tight.

      well even the planet we are on now is quickly going to become less and less compatible with human life if we keep polluting the hell out of it and destroying the very ecosystems that produce our air and food ..looks like the future survivors of what ever catastrophe humans are bring on ourselves .. will have to re terror form earth to restore its ability to support human life ..

      sure humans may build cities in space near earth once we figure out artificial gravity and magnetic field tuning ..heck we might build cities in mountains and below the see as well ..hell building a small city in space near earth would be more likely than colonizing mars..

      then an intelligent and advanced species .. once they perfect the building of space habitats ..would start to question .. why go backwards and live on the hostile surface of a planet .

      there is plenty of water and every known mineral locked in rocks in space and virtual reality tech will be good enough or more than good enough ..to simulate the ideal surface environments when one would want that ..

      with the way people are using smartphones many are already preferring the digital experience.. with the number of people who will pick up their cellphone to film something and watch the screen instead of look a few feet in front of them .
      Signature

      "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486485].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

        well even the planet we are on now is quickly going to become less and less compatible with human life if we keep polluting the hell out of it and destroying the very ecosystems that produce our air and food ..looks like the future survivors of what ever catastrophe humans are bring on ourselves .. will have to re terror form earth to restore its ability to support human life ..

        sure humans may build cities in space near earth once we figure out artificial gravity and magnetic field tuning ..heck we might build cities in mountains and below the see as well ..hell building a small city in space near earth would be more likely than colonizing mars..

        then an intelligent and advanced species .. once they perfect the building of space habitats ..would start to question .. why go backwards and live on the hostile surface of a planet .

        there is plenty of water and every known mineral locked in rocks in space and virtual reality tech will be good enough or more than good enough ..to simulate the ideal surface environments when one would want that ..

        with the way people are using smartphones many are already preferring the digital experience.. with the number of people who will pick up their cellphone to film something and watch the screen instead of look a few feet in front of them .
        In every way imaginable, it would be cheaper and more feasible to clean the environment rather than move to another planet...or even create an environment in space.

        The problem with these "biodomes" is that we always use more energy, water, food than we can create. 3/4 of the planet's surface is water..and algae and plants in the oceans create quite a lot of our oxygen..and absorb most of our CO2. We just can't take the oceans into space with us. And that's why we cannot sustain a sealed permanent environment in space.

        We cannot terraform this planet. the process would create more toxic gasses and CO2 than it would save. There is always a net loss in these processes.

        What we can do is become nearly extinct, and then grow again after the atmosphere returns some of its CO2 and methane to the oceans again.

        It's just a matter of too much industry, because of too many people..and too little green areas to balance it out.

        Climatologists tell us that in about 12 years, maybe sooner, there will be areas of the planet that are seasonally uninhabitable.

        I'm 64, and my wife just turned 72. My hope is that we'll be gone before the real sh1t hits the fan.


        By the way, Americans are just 5% of the Earth's population, but consume 25% of it's resources. We are the Piranha in the goldfish bowl.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486489].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Odahh
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post




          I'm 64, and my wife just turned 72. My hope is that we'll be gone before the real sh1t hits the fan.


          By the way, Americans are just 5% of the Earth's population, but consume 25% of it's resources. We are the Piranha in the goldfish bowl.
          the energy resources is where the 25 percent comes from ..and that is probably skewed more so that a huge chunk of the energy consumption is probably done in the top 10 percent of the Us population ..

          think about how much energy a casino in Las Vegas chews through on a 110 degree summer day .. while it doors are open and it got the ac running .. that is just one example .the large tech companies and internet companies Us a high percent of that energy and are moving to renewable sources .

          now i don't go into it on this forum.. but most of our waste environmental impact and probably effect on climate comes from how we grow food and raise livestock ..and the amount of food that get thrown out from harvest to the dumpsters of grocery stores and restaurants and trash at home ..

          then the food system or the processed food industry and the crop subsidy programs of the government ..are also behind the obesity and exploding healthcare crisis in the country and world ...

          now maybe nature has something built in so if a population of anything grows beyond the resources.. nutrient deficiencies lead to poor health ..greater intake of calories to attempt to get the nutrients..then low fertility..and higher and higher increases of diseases that shorten or end life

          over consumption of resources until the resources diminish and the population collapse back to sustainable levels ..

          the aquifers feeding farms around the US are going to start running out in the next few years.. it will make the drought in California even worse ..and tthe heavy use of antibiotics in concentrated animal feeding operations.. is behind the rise of many super bugs with antibiotic resistance
          Signature

          "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486504].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

            now maybe nature has something built in so if a population of anything grows beyond the resources.. nutrient deficiencies lead to poor health ..greater intake of calories to attempt to get the nutrients..then low fertility..and higher and higher increases of diseases that shorten or end life

            Not enough resources lead to revolts and war. The problem with modern wars is that they just don't kill us, they also shift resources away from fighting climate change..and concentrate them on gathering an increasing share of a shrinking food supply.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486509].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Odahh
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Not enough resources lead to revolts and war. The problem with modern wars is that they just don't kill us, they also shift resources away from fighting climate change..and concentrate them on gathering an increasing share of a shrinking food supply.
              there is no shrinking food supply..but much of the food available is full of macro nutrients such as fat,carbs ,proteins ..and not a good source of vital micro nutrients and vitamins ..but with food coloring and flavoring that tricks senses in to believing certain food are much better than they really are..and have addictive properties that make people prefer them to real nutrient dense food ..current food science and regualion allow food processes to basically add cardboard to processed food .. and can make it seem like real food.. so you get no food revolts .. just get people getting sicker and sicker over time and fatter and fatter.. from over consumption of macro nutrients and under consumption of micro nutrients ..

              fat sick people who need scooters to get around wall mart are not going to revolt ..and there is plenty of money to be made feeding them cheep food and medications to treat the symptoms of bad diet

              we have plenty of resources..we are just highly wastefull as we do not value thing that ar in abundant supply all that much ..so the way to make thing more valuable is to reduce the supply artificially with regulation.. or just destroying as much of the resource as possible ..thing about diamond .. only reason they are so valuable ..is because a few companies own all the mine and limit the supply of diamonds .
              Signature

              "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486830].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

                there is no shrinking food supply..but much of the food available is full of macro nutrients such as fat,carbs ,proteins ..and not a good source of vital micro nutrients and vitamins ..but with food coloring and flavoring that tricks senses in to believing certain food are much better than they really are..and have addictive properties that make people prefer them to real nutrient dense food ..current food science and regualion allow food processes to basically add cardboard to processed food .. and can make it seem like real food.. so you get no food revolts .. just get people getting sicker and sicker over time and fatter and fatter.. from over consumption of macro nutrients and under consumption of micro nutrients ..

                fat sick people who need scooters to get around wall mart are not going to revolt ..and there is plenty of money to be made feeding them cheep food and medications to treat the symptoms of bad diet

                we have plenty of resources..we are just highly wastefull as we do not value thing that ar in abundant supply all that much ..so the way to make thing more valuable is to reduce the supply artificially with regulation.. or just destroying as much of the resource as possible ..thing about diamond .. only reason they are so valuable ..is because a few companies own all the mine and limit the supply of diamonds .
                You are talking about the present. I was talking about when global warming affects where crops can be planted...because deserts will expand, and some areas will be unable to produce crops.

                This is at least decades away. And maybe it won't happen at all.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486908].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                  Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                  You are talking about the present. I was talking about when global warming affects where crops can be planted...because deserts will expand, and some areas will be unable to produce crops.

                  This is at least decades away. And maybe it won't happen at all.
                  well historically that process has been do to bad farming practices water use and deforestation ..

                  rise and fall of civilization.. humans start tillage based farming .. cut down forests to expand farmland.. causing increase in food supply then increase in population ..eventually the farmland gets depleted faster than new farmland get created .. or a drought his and then starvation and famine .. revolts happen after a few year of droughts ..

                  we have already hit that point where more farmland is getting depleted than coming online .. and either getting paved over to build cities or become nearly desert like .. once the aquifers around the center of north america dry up.. bad thing will happen ..then another dust bowl..

                  in any case the USA ..is running out of money it can borrow from the future ..it used up the 5-20 feet of topsoil that was made over tend of thousands of years leaving an inch or less in most places ..which is only productive with heavy use of fosile fuel based fertilizers, pesticides herbicides and farm equipment .. the fosilee fuel laid down over a hundred million years ..and then under ground water reserves deposited over hundreds of thousands or millions of years ..that will start running out in a few years .
                  Signature

                  "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486917].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
                  Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post


                  This is at least decades away. And maybe it won't happen at all.
                  That one is going, straight to the pool room.

                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Big galazy news recently is that a new super telescope somewhere has 'discovered there are many more galaxies than we knew'.


    Do these people not know what 'infinity' means? Buzz Lightyear had it right...'to infinity...and BeYOND'...




    Climatologists tell us that in about 12 years, maybe sooner, there will be areas of the planet that are seasonally uninhabitable.

    Ever been on the Mississippi Delta in August?



    By the way, Americans are just 5% of the Earth's population, but consume 25% of it's resources. We are the Piranha in the goldfish bowl.

    So true - and insist on referring to ourselves as the most advanced species on the planet....

    I find myself hoping the earth will kill off homo sapiens before homo sapiens kill the planet.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Big galazy news recently is that a new super telescope somewhere has 'discovered there are many more galaxies than we knew'.
      .
      Until a few years ago, we would hear anywhere from 100-200 billion galaxies. Now, that number is a couple of trillion galaxies.

      And those are only the ones that we can see.

      If the Sun died, and the Earth burnt to a cinder...nobody out there would even know.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486807].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Until a few years ago, we would hear anywhere from 100-200 billion galaxies. Now, that number is a couple of trillion galaxies.

        And those are only the ones that we can see.

        If the Sun died, and the Earth burnt to a cinder...nobody out there would even know.

        That is how we Marketers will get even with Repeat Refunders..


        Email to Repeat Refunder: Sorry, "The Sun died, and the Earth burnt to a cinder"
        Signature

        Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    Another way of seeing this is...

    if the sun were the size of a basketball...and the Earth was the size of a pea...

    The nearest star would be 5,000 miles away.

    So, for any method of propulsion what we could possibly build (except in our imagination) we would be sending a probe that would take 30,000 to 50,000 years to get to the next star.

    And every other star is a multiple of that distance away.

    So, children, except for a small colony on Mars...maybe....this is it. There is no other planet or moon available that is compatible with human life.

    Sleep tight.
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/las...-a-step-closer

    Ok, it may take 40 years all up to get this there and hope that we can get its signal.

    But conventional rockets could get a probe there in 12,000 years, oh,....forget it.

    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    In every way imaginable, it would be cheaper and more feasible to clean the environment rather than move to another planet...or even create an environment in space.

    The problem with these "biodomes" is that we always use more energy, water, food than we can create. 3/4 of the planet's surface is water..and algae and plants in the oceans create quite a lot of our oxygen..and absorb most of our CO2. We just can't take the oceans into space with us. And that's why we cannot sustain a sealed permanent environment in space.

    We cannot terraform this planet. the process would create more toxic gasses and CO2 than it would save. There is always a net loss in these processes.

    What we can do is become nearly extinct, and then grow again after the atmosphere returns some of its CO2 and methane to the oceans again.

    It's just a matter of too much industry, because of too many people..and too little green areas to balance it out.

    Climatologists tell us that in about 12 years, maybe sooner, there will be areas of the planet that are seasonally uninhabitable.

    I'm 64, and my wife just turned 72. My hope is that we'll be gone before the real sh1t hits the fan.

    By the way, Americans are just 5% of the Earth's population, but consume 25% of it's resources. We are the Piranha in the goldfish bowl.
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    Not enough resources lead to revolts and war. The problem with modern wars is that they just don't kill us, they also shift resources away from fighting climate change..and concentrate them on gathering an increasing share of a shrinking food supply.
    Ooooh, l want to say something, but l'd better not, since we can't discuss religion here...

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    How Far Are The Nearest Stars

    I will let you know later today. Just gotta change the fuel type in my '1949 Ford' and stock the glove box with some munchies.


    Oh, anyone need anything from the nearest star? It just has to be small and fit a glove box.
    Signature

    Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Just an afterthought, if the sun were to die wouldn't the earth turn into an ice planet?
    Signature

    Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486814].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      Just an afterthought, if the sun were to die wouldn't the earth turn into an ice planet?
      If the Sun just winked out, yes. But the Sun will die by expanding into a Red Giant, scorching the Earth.

      The atmosphere will burn away, the oceans will evaporate, and eventually the crust will melt. A tiny blob of magma floating in space.

      But all that's billions of years away.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486827].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        If the Sun just winked out, yes. But the Sun will die by expanding into a Red Giant, scorching the Earth.

        The atmosphere will burn away, the oceans will evaporate, and eventually the crust will melt. A tiny blob of magma floating in space.

        But all that's billions of years away.

        Very similar to human fertilization.



        The cutie winks. Thing starts expanding. A tiny glob of something starts a journey that's a billion years away.


        hmm, fertilization funnel?
        Signature

        Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    This thread has gone from Stars to Global Warming it is now time to move on to another topic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11486999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Now back to the subject at hand.


    Always one of my favorite videos, which doesn't take great speed and hitting stuff into consideration, but getting to Neptune in a week, phew, if we had unlimited budgets for space probes, instead of Pluto taking 12 years we could have gone there within a few weeks.

    Also curious to note that it would also be going past Bernards Star in 4 years time, using present day tech, sure lugging all of that fuel into space may be inpractical and it may not get there if a speck of dust is in the wrong place and time, but it shows that our nearest star isn't 12,000 years away.

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11487484].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics