Spam, spam and spam: Explained

11 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Many of us who have been around the internet for a long time are familiar with this while many of the younger people are not. Back before CAN-SPAM fortunes were made in spam because like it or not, spam works. You get a 1-1 1/2% click through rate on anything you spam.

Problem is these days is that if you don't have an opt-in list or even better a double opt-in list and you mail to whatever list you have there are all sorts of people and agencies out there which will come after you...........................

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...guide-business
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author palmtreelife
    Fortunes were made with spam because back then no one knew any better. Everyone clicked the buttons or opened emails that said "make a million dollars today with just one click!"

    People smartened up (slowly) and now spammers only catch the elderly or mentally challenged, which is obviously frowned upon.

    I think it's great people and agencies shut down these spammers. It gives more space for those of us trying to get quality content out there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499627].message }}
    • Originally Posted by palmtreelife View Post

      Fortunes were made with spam because back then no one knew any better. Everyone clicked the buttons or opened emails that said "make a million dollars today with just one click!"

      People smartened up (slowly) and now spammers only catch the elderly or mentally challenged, which is obviously frowned upon.

      I think it's great people and agencies shut down these spammers. It gives more space for those of us trying to get quality content out there.

      There was also a ton of legitimate stuff that was sold via spam.

      Not all spammers were crooks. Before the advent of CAN-SPAM virtually every company on the planet engaged in the sending of unsolicited commercial email (UCE as it's known today.)I find it interesting and telling that one can snail mail anything one wants to anyone on the planet, which is the physical equivalent of email spam and oddly enough has about the same response rate although the costs to the mailer are much higher.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Gee's l would expect Kurt to post the Monty Python Spam video by now.

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Originally Posted by The Real Harry Mitchell View Post

    Many of us who have been around the internet for a long time are familiar with this while many of the younger people are not. Back before CAN-SPAM fortunes were made in spam because like it or not, spam works. You get a 1-1 1/2% click through rate on anything you spam.

    Problem is these days is that if you don't have an opt-in list or even better a double opt-in list and you mail to whatever list you have there are all sorts of people and agencies out there which will come after you...........................

    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...guide-business

    You could have posted this in the correct forum, otherwise you are the SPAMMER:
    Email Marketing

    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    Gee's l would expect Kurt to post the Monty Python Spam video by now.


    Are you a Mod?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499639].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      You could have posted this in the correct forum, otherwise you are the SPAMMER:
      Email Marketing




      Are you a Mod?

      No, I'm not a mod and yeah that might have been a better place to post this but I didn't think of it at the time. Mea Culpa.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499646].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      You could have posted this in the correct forum, otherwise you are the SPAMMER:
      Email Marketing




      Are you a Mod?

      Well, I'm not emailing so there is no UCE but ya know what is interesting? Looks as though I have a resolution problem with my monitor such that when I click on "Forums" not all are showing up, including the "Email" forum.

      Hmmm....I need to work on that to find out what is going on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499648].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      You could have posted this in the correct forum, otherwise you are the SPAMMER:
      Email Marketing

      Are you a Mod?
      That is a bit like saying, how long is a ball of string, does Orville have an episode 12, and how many donuts can Claude get through in one sitting!

      Unanswerable.

      Hypothetically, this thread will probably become silly, so give it time,...hypothetically speaking.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499656].message }}
      • Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        That is a bit like saying, how long is a ball of string, does Orville have an episode 12, and how many donuts can Claude get through in one sitting!

        Unanswerable.

        Hypothetically, this thread will probably become silly, so give it time,...hypothetically speaking.

        I think it just did! See I use a 46" LG TV as a monitor and sometimes websites don't load properly...................................
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499657].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
          Originally Posted by The Real Harry Mitchell View Post

          I think it just did! See I use a 46" LG TV as a monitor and sometimes websites don't load properly...................................
          Just send me a paypal payment and I will fix it for you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499797].message }}
          • Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

            Just send me a paypal payment and I will fix it for you.

            I will send it to you Tuesday if you will fix it today!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
      Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      You could have posted this in the correct forum, otherwise you are the SPAMMER:
      Email Marketing




      Are you a Mod?
      or a rocker?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11499882].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics