Virtual Reality is bad for eyes?

30 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Hi, Warriors, I found research which said that the use of VR can blind you, is it true ? Because i was going to buy Samsung VR for my Gaming PC.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    I tried one of the first to hit shopping centres, (the graphics were pretty basic but still close to your eyes) and after 15 minutes had sore eyes.

    Back then it was two mini tv crt's showing images in each eye with a clumsy headset.

    But looking at a smart phone at normal distance for a few minutes tends to make my eyes sore, so using that in a VR headset, would be worse.

    So blindness, couldn't say, but it certainly doens't help your eyes, and l guess if you really want this, then moderation, is a good idea.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Fortunately, we're at the mercy of how long the battery lasts and for an Oculus Go, I know that to be 1.5 hours or so.

    Time flies when you're experiencing it, but it's just enough to satisfy in one session and long enough to watch most movies. I can't say how long the battery lasts, but I'm upgrading to the Oculus Quest when it's released so this may or may not change the duration of a typical session.

    I played a Go Karting game two weeks ago and both a friend and I paid to download it for a multiplayer but they had to stop 2 minutes in due to extreme onset of sickness. It was effecting me too.

    Another friend is a developer and an hour session forced him to be bed ridden all day when he first tried the headset some years ago.

    My vision has been less than crisp after using it and it's triggered positional vertigo. Nothing remains however.


    I think occasional use, though a cliche', is the way to go.


    Far from my style of movie, but If I get my quota of work complete today, I'm watching this tonight since it represents a supposed first of its kind:

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      I played a Go Karting game two weeks ago and both a friend and I paid to download it for a multiplayer but they had to stop 2 minutes in due to extreme onset of sickness. It was effecting me too.

      Another friend is a developer and an hour session forced him to be bed ridden all day when he first tried the headset some years ago.

      My vision has been less than crisp after using it and it's triggered positional vertigo. Nothing remains however.
      Yes, the key reason l am avoiding a smart phone like the plague, or l don't want another bright screen to look at or something that is too big to fit in my pocket.

      I tend to look at my Laptop screen for most of the day, and eventhough the brightness is reduced and it is a matt screen it has still slightly affected my vision, and not in a good way.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500845].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      Fortunately, we're at the mercy of how long the battery lasts and for an Oculus Go, I know that to be 1.5 hours or so.

      Time flies when you're experiencing it, but it's just enough to satisfy in one session and long enough to watch most movies. I can't say how long the battery lasts, but I'm upgrading to the Oculus Quest when it's released so this may or may not change the duration of a typical session.

      I played a Go Karting game two weeks ago and both a friend and I paid to download it for a multiplayer but they had to stop 2 minutes in due to extreme onset of sickness. It was effecting me too.

      Another friend is a developer and an hour session forced him to be bed ridden all day when he first tried the headset some years ago.

      My vision has been less than crisp after using it and it's triggered positional vertigo. Nothing remains however.


      I think occasional use, though a cliche', is the way to go.


      Far from my style of movie, but If I get my quota of work complete today, I'm watching this tonight since it represents a supposed first of its kind:

      THE LIMIT Official Trailer (2018) Norman Reedus, Michelle Rodriguez, VR Movie HD - YouTube
      I have the GO. I find it overheats after an hour and asks you to take the helmet off for a few minutes. I know the Quest will have a fan. It would have been nice if the Go ran for more than 2 hours and your 1.5 estimate is probably right. The resolution on it is a bit fuzzy for movies.

      I hear the Quest resolution will be slightly higher, what we really need is 1080p. It would be nice if you can use it plugged into the mains as well

      I will wait for the reviews of the Quest when it comes out. I only want it for the film media, not the games. Have we got a date on it's release yet?
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        I will wait for the reviews of the Quest when it comes out. I only want it for the film media, not the games. Have we got a date on it's release yet?
        I just got the email from Amazon.

        They are taking pre-orders for delivery on 21st May.

        I just ordered mine.

        https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-...ay&sr=8-2&th=1
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11506096].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

          I just got the email from Amazon.

          They are taking pre-orders for delivery on 21st May.

          I just ordered mine.

          https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-...ay&sr=8-2&th=1
          I will wait for your review, is the resolution significantly better than the Go, how long does it go on a charge, does it overheat. I see the Helmet Vision Fly seems unavailable, pity.
          Signature

          Where ever you go, there you are.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11506111].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            I will wait for your review, is the resolution significantly better than the Go, how long does it go on a charge, does it overheat. I see the Helmet Vision Fly seems unavailable, pity.
            I don't know why it's such an untouched aspect, but the resolution doesn't seem to be mentioned much - if at all, even in the side by side comparisons.

            I believe there are more than a good few factors in play which ultimately affect the quality of the picture besides resolution. 'Screen door effect' (or lack of) being one.

            I'm just going to judge by eye and looking forward to it!.....

            I still haven't timed my Go charge.


            EDIT:


            Oculus Go:
            1280 x 1440 per eye - 5.5-inch display

            Oculus Quest: 1,440 x 1,600 pixels per eye - 72Hz OLED display.


            Difference: 160 x 160 (for what it's worth).

            Maybe the OLED is going to make it shine above all else...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11506706].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

              I don't know why it's such an untouched aspect, but the resolution doesn't seem to be mentioned much - if at all, even in the side by side comparisons.

              I believe there are more than a good few factors in play which ultimately affect the quality of the picture besides resolution. 'Screen door effect' (or lack of) being one.

              I'm just going to judge by eye and looking forward to it!.....

              I still haven't timed my Go charge.


              EDIT:


              Oculus Go:
              1280 x 1440 per eye - 5.5-inch display

              Oculus Quest: 1,440 x 1,600 pixels per eye - 72Hz OLED display.


              Difference: 160 x 160 (for what it's worth).

              Maybe the OLED is going to make it shine above all else...
              I got the text,(I expect you did too) finally it's here, Looking forward to your review if you are going to snap one up
              Signature

              Where ever you go, there you are.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512179].message }}
  • Well, I doubt there is enough scientific research or proof to confirm either claim. I've been using my PSVR, as well as the custom made Google Cardboard I ordered quite extensively for the last few months, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with my eyes, and I have also visited an Optometrist and done various tests, but nothing has shown any signs of issues.

    This, however, may vary from person to person, just like regular eye-sight issues to. I have friends who can't keep the headset on for more than a minute or two, while some, like me, can endure more than 30 minutes or an hour, or even more, but I do make it a case to rest my eyes every 30 minutes or so, just in case.
    Signature
    >>>>>>>Cheap SMM Reseller Panel:<<<<<<<<
    https://fivebbc.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    Yes, the key reason l am avoiding a smart phone like the plague, or l don't want another bright screen to look at or something that is too big to fit in my pocket.

    I tend to look at my Laptop screen for most of the day, and eventhough the brightness is reduced and it is a matt screen it has still slightly affected my vision, and not in a good way.

    All screens are definitely bad for the eyes.

    I was disorientated last week after overworking and nearly fell down a flight of concrete stairs putting the bin out.

    I think the VR effects us in that way, and in another way since we are forced to unconsciously micro adjust our vision somewhat to perceive the 3D effect.


    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    I have the GO. I find it overheats after an hour and asks you to take the helmet off for a few minutes. I know the Quest will have a fan. It would have been nice if the Go ran for more than 2 hours and your 1.5 estimate is probably right. The resolution on it is a bit fuzzy for movies.

    I hear the Quest resolution will be slightly higher, what we really need is 1080p. It would be nice if you can use it plugged into the mains as well

    I will wait for the reviews of the Quest when it comes out. I only want it for the film media, not the games. Have we got a date on it's release yet?

    Yeah, both me and my friend received the heat warning after only 20 mins of play the second time we used them. The whole front is a metal plate heatsink, but clearly it's not enough. I didn't realize the Quest is going to have a fan installed, but it makes sense for that reason.

    It's good news about an increase in resolution. 1080p would be surpreme. I look forward to the day when it's 4 / 5k quality.

    Besides games (the main purpose for me currently), I've only used mine to watch half an episode of a TV programme on Netflix, so I haven't committed to a movie yet. I watched whilst wearing my Sennheiser HD650 headphones which added a lot more, but with all of that on my head, I might as well be wearing a motocycle helmet. It's not comfortable and very warm!

    Regarding the release date; they announced a 'countdown'. Unfortunately, their idea of a countdown was not releasing an actual date, so I'm not sure how that works. I'm on their email list anyways, for when they do release some useful news...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500917].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      All screens are definitely bad for the eyes.

      I was disorientated last week after overworking and nearly fell down a flight of concrete stairs putting the bin out.

      I think the VR effects us in that way, and in another way since we are forced to unconsciously micro adjust our vision somewhat to perceive the 3D effect.





      Yeah, both me and my friend received the heat warning after only 20 mins of play the second time we used them. The whole front is a metal plate heatsink, but clearly it's not enough. I didn't realize the Quest is going to have a fan installed, but it makes sense for that reason.

      It's good news about an increase in resolution. 1080p would be surpreme. I look forward to the day when it's 4 / 5k quality.

      Besides games (the main purpose for me currently), I've only used mine to watch half an episode of a TV programme on Netflix, so I haven't committed to a movie yet. I watched whilst wearing my Sennheiser HD650 headphones which added a lot more, but with all of that on my head, I might as well be wearing a motocycle helmet. It's not comfortable and very warm!

      Regarding the release date; they announced a 'countdown'. Unfortunately, their idea of a countdown was not releasing an actual date, so I'm not sure how that works. I'm on their email list anyways, for when they do release some useful news...
      I saw a while back one called Helmet Head or Helmet vision. Full 1080p. Just looked back on amazon and they now have a Helmet Vision Fly. android o/s, stand alone runs for 3 hours and check out the resolution. I can not find much about it online though but it ticks the boxes. I might take the risk, especially if the quest only does 2 hours.

      https://www.amazon.com/HELMET-VISION...gateway&sr=8-1

      Not an affiliate link.
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    I haven't seen that before.

    That's a hell of a difference in resolution.

    So, the limitation is that there's no games (or at least the common 3D games) that are able to run on it?

    People would buy it mainly for movies?

    I got the second 'countdown' email 10 minutes ago and still no date..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      I haven't seen that before.

      That's a hell of a difference in resolution.

      So, the limitation is that there's no games (or at least the common 3D games) that are able to run on it?

      People would buy it mainly for movies?

      I got the second 'countdown' email 10 minutes ago and still no date..
      Well, possibly Android Games, but I would use if for movies.
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11500986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Gee, all of this expense and hassle just to see Toy Story 4 in 3D?

    But l have to admit that l did see Apollo, (pretty sure that was the name) with Tom Hanks doing the commentary in an IMAX theatre in 3D, and the moon scenes were almost like being there.

    Well IMAX does use the LCD left and right flicking head goggles tech, to give the illusion of 3D, which is probably easier on the eyes, but l still had sore eyes at the end of the 40 minute movie.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11501054].message }}
  • I heard fake nooz can work the same kinda magic on iris muscles as viagra pulls on misperformin' *WF MOD ALERT* masculine dangulature.

    Thing is, plenty stuff constitoots a CTA -- question is, for whom?

    Meantime, here is a filosofical question for evrywan.

    See, cos right now, ima peelin' an imaginary cucumber.

    Don't matter why ... I jus' kinda am.

    Usin' my fave cheese knife, cos evrythin' else is in the dishwashah, so it's kinda weird but at least the skin comin' off OK.

    Anyways, that is MY imaginary cucumber, as in THE ONE I ACTSCHWLLY AIN'T GOT HERE bcs it DON'T EXIST.

    But also, if'n you read this far, there is YOUR imaginary cucumber -- aided an' abetted into view by what I jus' said, but also A REAL LIVE LEGUME BYOINGIN' UP FROM INSIDE YOUR HEAD & NOT MINE.

    Into precisely mutual noplace, far as this comment goes, I guess.

    Question is ... whicha these two imaginary cucumbers takes the most effort to thrust into bein'?

    For sure, I worked real darn hard to GIVE YOU SUPER SWEET CLUES.

    But you jus' FILLED IN way plenty smart info into the GAPS I LEFT OUT to make that CUCUMBER I SQUEEZIN' HARD IN MY FISTS all kinda YOURS.

    Less'n you imagined a potato -- in which case, get the hell outta here ...
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11501237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author XenG
    I'd get a headache with computers in minutes without my eyeglasses, what more with this one... yikes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11506120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author naviown
    Well it's 2019.

    You are in the digital era. Thinking that it's harmful for the eyes that's a understatement.

    It's not that alarming though.
    Signature
    CryptoCurrency Trading! Earn MONEY While You Sleep
    Make 30%-40% ROI Each Month â™› 100% Passive Income â™›
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11508428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    White screens, Google Search, etc are also bad on eyes, but thankfully the Owl extension and others, (firefox) allow you to reverse them.

    So instead of doing a Google search with a stark white background, it can be reversed or it turns into a black backgrond instead.

    I have been messing with that one this week, and have noticed in improvement in having less eye strain.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11508472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    It really is astounding.

    It's charging at the moment and I'm going in again and buying a premium game that pushes it's limits.

    Games aside, on a general experience level, this is brilliant. Setting up the boundary matrix in your room, being in a virtual world and poking your head through the grid to see the real room is totally bizarre.

    I'll follow up soon with a review.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512185].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      It really is astounding.

      It's charging at the moment and I'm going in again and buying a premium game that pushes it's limits.

      Games aside, on a general experience level, this is brilliant. Setting up the boundary matrix in your room, being in a virtual world and poking your head through the grid to see the real room is totally bizarre.

      I'll follow up soon with a review.
      I have a few questions to pitch:

      1) Is the resolution for watching immersive clips and movies significantly better/clearer than the Go, given that it uses Oled

      2) Can you use it while charging

      3) How long does a charged battery last when unplugged from mains?

      4) Can you use one of the controllers to call up movies and clips as you do on the GO or is there a separate one for that. Is it just as easy?

      5) does the fan noise disturb. (I understand you have one)
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512390].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        I have a few questions to pitch:

        1) Is the resolution for watching immersive clips and movies significantly better/clearer than the Go, given that it uses Oled
        It's a strange one. The resolution doesn't look different, but each pixel looks more clear. This might be something to do with the 'subpixel' difference and of course, the OLED.

        It's as though both those factors, together with the vibrant colours, give the greater quality picture.

        I'd consider it as a 15% improvement watching movies.

        Games and interactive media give a much greater feeling of depth and it feel like you're literally looking into something, rather than at a screen casting that illusion. It feels like a pair of binoculars. This experience is at least 50% better than the Go.


        2) Can you use it while charging
        Yeah. I cable is quite long too.

        3) How long does a charged battery last when unplugged from mains?
        I've witnessed it last 2 hours - perhaps 2.5 hours.

        Its know to last 3 hours (as some people report) if you use it for less intensive things. I imagine movies will be considered as this.

        4) Can you use one of the controllers to call up movies and clips as you do on the GO or is there a separate one for that. Is it just as easy?
        It uses both controllers for in-depth games and experiences, but they both do the same thing for basic functions such as media control.

        You can use one or the other. You press a button on either to make it the active controller. you can just put the other controller aside if you want.

        5) does the fan noise disturb. (I understand you have one)
        It wasn't until the room was silent I heard it for the first time.

        It's only a very, very slight 'whirr'.

        I was in an airport in a game which is without music and I mistook the fan for a very distant subtle sound of a plane engine.

        I'm not sure of a plane engine is the best example, but it's barely audible anyways.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512684].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

          It's a strange one. The resolution doesn't look different, but each pixel looks more clear. This might be something to do with the 'subpixel' difference and of course, the OLED.

          It's as though both those factors, together with the vibrant colours, give the greater quality picture.

          I'd consider it as a 15% improvement watching movies.

          Games and interactive media give a much greater feeling of depth and it feel like you're literally looking into something, rather than at a screen casting that illusion. It feels like a pair of binoculars. This experience is at least 50% better than the Go.




          Yeah. I cable is quite long too.



          I've witnessed it last 2 hours - perhaps 2.5 hours.

          Its know to last 3 hours (as some people report) if you use it for less intensive things. I imagine movies will be considered as this.



          It uses both controllers for in-depth games and experiences, but they both do the same thing for basic functions such as media control.

          You can use one or the other. You press a button on either to make it the active controller. you can just put the other controller aside if you want.



          It wasn't until the room was silent I heard it for the first time.

          It's only a very, very slight 'whirr'.

          I was in an airport in a game which is without music and I mistook the fan for a very distant subtle sound of a plane engine.

          I'm not sure of a plane engine is the best example, but it's barely audible anyways.
          "I'd consider it as a 15% improvement watching movies."

          How about the VR (recorded) clips as opposed to flat screen movies, is that any better?

          Well, I just ordered and paid for a 64 gig one online to pick up at my local Best Buy Today, they only had 2 left and it seems all were selling out fast. Amazon certainly has. If they can go on for hours instead of 45 minutes then that's good enough for me. :-)
          Signature

          Where ever you go, there you are.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Good move!

    I haven't watched any VR movies on it yet. More experimenting over the weekend!

    Let me know what you think of it - first impressions etc.

    My family is visiting tomorrow night, so I'm going to be buying a few things to demo it.

    Job simulator being one!...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512832].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      Good move!

      I haven't watched any VR movies on it yet. More experimenting over the weekend!

      Let me know what you think of it - first impressions etc.

      My family is visiting tomorrow night, so I'm going to be buying a few things to demo it.

      Job simulator being one!...

      Job Simulator on the Oculus Quest! (VR Gameplay/Commentary) - YouTube
      Got it all setup, pretty phenomenal compared with the Go. Just picking up those objects and throwing them around is impressive, sharper recorded footage as well. Nice.
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11512841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    I was glad to get into VR last night after a crazy day in the real world.

    Yeah, the intro ('First steps') is an experience in itself. Paper planes and rockets were enjoyed last night.

    My family, confirmed our thoughts too. It's streets ahead of the Go.

    One person punched the door frame in exactly the same position as myself by failing to set the boundary inwards enough and another was too scared to face to opponent in boxing due to overwhelm.

    I've offered up my Go to someone in the family who has a few kids. I'd rather share the experience of VR (for what the Go provides), rather than pocket £150. It's setting the foundations for a bizarre future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11513393].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    I've noticed that the FOV (Field of view) is at least 1cm more narrow in the Quest.

    Someone raised this question and I knew I had overlooked something.

    So, the Go has a greater field of view, but it's less immersive due to inferior picture quality.

    I'm glad I haven't given the Go away yet, since this comparison stage is lasting a while!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11513986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      I've noticed that the FOV (Field of view) is at least 1cm more narrow in the Quest.

      Someone raised this question and I knew I had overlooked something.

      So, the Go has a greater field of view, but it's less immersive due to inferior picture quality.

      I'm glad I haven't given the Go away yet, since this comparison stage is lasting a while!
      I think I noticed that without knowing it. Not going to let it get me down though, the resolution improvement is good enough for me
      Signature

      Where ever you go, there you are.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11514166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maca56
    I do not think that it bad for eyes from what I've done but I really assume they will keep improve all this things lately. I think it's not that much needed in our everyday life from more than just little fun and that's really it. Mobile phone is really good thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
    Scientifically speaking I don't know how proven it is that it could be bad for your eyes. But I know you can get prescription glasses with the "blue light blocking" feature so I would imagine the VR would be just as bad, if not worse for your eyes than TV or computer screens in general.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    This is absolutely brilliant.

    My family were amazed and hooked

    There's lots of approvals too by seasoned table tennis players.

    For what it's worth, since it conveys very little of the experience, here' a vid:


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516017].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics