Elon Musk unveils new 'Starship' spacecraft

18 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |

The first of several prototypes, the Starship is 50 meters long, weighs 120 tons and is equipped with six engines, three fixed and three movable.

Over the next few years there will be several more versions of Starship, each bringing the private space firm closer to its goal of sending humans not only to the Moon, but also to Mars.

Musk believes that it should be possible to achieve orbital flight within as little as six months.

I want one!

Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    Rather an inappropriate name don't you think. Hardly likely that a chemical rocket will be able to traverse the distances between the stars.
    Signature

    Where ever you go, there you are.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    When the first messages come back from 1,400 light-years away, "Super-Earth" Then I'll be impressed.

    Anyone with the money can build a rocket.

    NASA has multiple craft out of our solar system and has landed probes on nearly every planet and several "Moons."

    This guy is just playing in the sandbox.
    Signature
    Gone Fishin'...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post

      When the first messages come back from 1,400 light-years away, "Super-Earth" Then I'll be impressed.

      Anyone with the money can build a rocket.

      NASA has multiple craft out of our solar system and has landed probes on nearly every planet and several "Moons."

      This guy is just playing in the sandbox.
      60years or more of going into space with boosters . And this guy playing in the sandbox is the first one to figure . Hey we can get boosters to land so we can reuse them .

      And the coolest shot is always when the two little boosters land at the same time
      Signature

      "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Rather an inappropriate name don't you think. Hardly likely that a chemical rocket will be able to traverse the distances between the stars.
    Probably not impossible, but if a conventional rocket takes 4 years to reach Alpha Centauri, and Warp drive gets going, then 4 years, with no brakes, against 2 weeks with brakes, is better.


    Musk announces a manned mission to our nearest star,....l know seems far fetched, but it comes down to scale and having a big enough ship, so the occopents don't go nuts.

    Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post

    When the first messages come back from 1,400 light-years away, "Super-Earth" Then I'll be impressed.

    Anyone with the money can build a rocket.

    NASA has multiple craft out of our solar system and has landed probes on nearly every planet and several "Moons."

    This guy is just playing in the sandbox.
    True, but NASA never put a sports car into space!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    True, but NASA never put a sports car into space!
    NASA wants to be good first, look good second.

    This Yahoo is just a nut with a lot of money. Beware if he starts selling Futures...
    Signature
    3 Simple Steps To A Successful Online Business
    100% FREE Webinar - Continue - For Success!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    A nut that created PayPal when we was young, and sold it for $132 million .
    And this guy playing in the sandbox is the first one to figure . Hey we can get boosters to land so we can reuse them .
    Still waiting for something impressive.

    He's pre-hyping his space tourism service.

    Any craft that will leave near-Earth orbit, with human cargo, will be built and launched from a space station. Missions to Mars for example.

    Liquid fuel rockets are for escaping Earth's gravity with a very small payload as compared to the amount of fuel needed.

    This is a show for the sheep, and apparently you all are eating it up. Have you booked your seat for a one-orbit tour?
    Signature
    3 Simple Steps To A Successful Online Business
    100% FREE Webinar - Continue - For Success!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Are you sure it isspace tourism and not space mining . As you pointed out there is a need for a space station to build space ships that can go to Mars .

    Although I respect what musk is doing I'm not really among his die hard fans .

    His developing nuralink worries me . So in his beelief that ai will take us over and drive us to extinction . He has gone the route of just turning humans into cyborgs. By connecting them to computers
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Diamonds are basically worthless pieces of pretty glass. Pumped up in value because one company own almost all the diamond mines in the world .

    The are plenty of rare earth minerals and other highly valuable metals . Hey maybe even the materials needed to build better battries . The interesting thing is musk . Seem to be in many different businesses . But over time they get mitted together .

    To keep the real fans happy he has to promote the Mars thing . Electric cars and solar cells .

    IGM I correct to get to Mars better propulsion systems need to be developed . And we are probably about to see a renewed development of nuclear or mini reactors that don't melt down or use the waste from the old systems .

    But chances are the core of musk's supports are probably still against nuclear . The way the would be against going to space to build a highly profitable mining operation .

    But I'm no one so that opinion doesn't matter
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      Diamonds are basically worthless pieces of pretty glass. Pumped up in value because one company own almost all the diamond mines in the world .

      The are plenty of rare earth minerals and other highly valuable metals . Hey maybe even the materials needed to build better battries . The interesting thing is musk . Seem to be in many different businesses . But over time they get mitted together .

      To keep the real fans happy he has to promote the Mars thing . Electric cars and solar cells .

      IGM I correct to get to Mars better propulsion systems need to be developed . And we are probably about to see a renewed development of nuclear or mini reactors that don't melt down or use the waste from the old systems .

      But chances are the core of musk's supports are probably still against nuclear . The way the would be against going to space to build a highly profitable mining operation .
      Agreed, but if he comes back with a billion dollars worth, etc, then unless world gov, tell him no, he will make a good profit.

      Musk hasn't mentioned nuclear, and l believe if the first 20km test is successful then it is just a matter of scaling up for Mars or whatever.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548584].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

        Agreed, but if he comes back with a billion dollars worth, etc, then unless world gov, tell him no, he will make a good profit.

        Musk hasn't mentioned nuclear, and l believe if the first 20km test is successful then it is just a matter of scaling up for Mars or whatever.

        Elin musk is overly optimistic when it comes to the timelines he initially gives for being opperational or in full production.

        And he is testing prototypes at the same ten he us pushing forward in an area that has been stagnant for almost 50 years .

        I think nura link type tech would be vital for humans surviving the long journey between earth and Mars or even extended period in zero g . Without the muscular sceketal degeneration astronaughts go through

        Now just my view but the best way to keep humans alive in space would be to put them in life pods designed to keep their bodies healthy . While having a nuralink type system that allowed them to controll robots or other machanical devices around the ship.

        So you only need to have small parts of the ship able to support human life
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Do you mean neural link? If so, Musk thought of that some time ago...


    https://fortune.com/2017/03/27/elon-musk-neuralink/
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548673].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Do you mean neural link? If so, Musk thought of that some time ago...


      https://fortune.com/2017/03/27/elon-musk-neuralink/
      I am holding around with this post and I will playfully respond like the response of the normal Elon musk detractor .

      Make wasn't the first to think of it sci fi writer have been talking about linking humans with computers for a hundred years . Birg matrix nothing new .

      And for ten or 15years there have been chips or implant to put in people brains to allow them to interact with computers.

      I mean people have to be musk worshiping types if the think it matters that musk actually might make such a tech comercually viable for Mass markets .

      So Elon is not special he wasn't the first to think of the idea . Wasn't the first to hook a brain to a computer .

      Oh I can't go on hahaha . Sorry haha .
      Signature

      "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    people have to be musk worshiping types

    Must be some here judging from the number of threads with Musk's name in the title.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548772].message }}
  • Gotta figure if'n you marketin' musk pheromone spray, prolly you wanna call it MARS ROCKET.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548777].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics