Large Hadron Collider could show parallel universes exist

58 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...hers-1.3006998

Having been significantly upgraded since its discovery of the elusive Higgs Boson in 2012, the world's largest particle accelerator is about to embark on a new series of experiments designed to detect tiny black holes.

If it succeeds it could open up a new chapter in particle physics which could help to explain the nature of dark matter and prove the existence of parallel universes.

Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    IF it succeeds it COULD open up a new chapter in particle physics which could help to explain the nature of dark matter and prove the existence of parallel universes.
    Or not. There has never been any evidence of "parallel universes".

    Back it 2008, there was a huge concern (scientifically unfounded) that the Large Hadron Collider could create black holes that would devour the Earth. Besides the Higgs Boson, they were researching for clues to new forces of nature, and possibly even extra dimensions of space-time as postulated by Einstein in 1916. However, the black holes it did create were harmlessly microscopic and lasted mere nano-nano-nanoseconds.

    LHC Run 3: CernCourier March 9, 2020

    "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
    - Albert Einstein
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    IF it succeeds it COULD open up a new chapter in particle physics which COULD help to explain the nature of dark matter...




    Let me think about that for a minute...





    Yeah, nah. Too many could's in there.

    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    ... and prove the existence of parallel universes.




    ~



    Signature
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    What does Cern have in common with Harry Potter?

    Cern has a Large Hadron Collider.

    Harry Potter has a large Hagrid Collider
    Signature

    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Signature
    W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
    The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    "Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead."
    - Harry Potter
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by myob View Post

    Or not. There has never been any evidence of "parallel universes".

    Back it 2008, there was a huge concern (scientifically unfounded) that the Large Hadron Collider could create black holes that would devour the Earth. Besides the Higgs Boson, they were researching for clues to new forces of nature, and possibly even extra dimensions of space-time as postulated by Einstein in 1916. However, the black holes it did create were harmlessly microscopic and lasted mere nano-nano-nanoseconds.

    LHC Run 3: CernCourier March 9, 2020

    "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
    - Albert Einstein
    Ok, wasn't aware that they actually created some, but soon they will be doing them on an assembly line.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606993].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Ok, wasn't aware that they actually created some, but soon they will be doing them on an assembly line.
      With these new upgrades the Large Hadron Collider is being referred to as a future "black hole factory". But an accident in 2016 caused an immediate shutdown of the facility due to a strange case of the unexplained disappearance of a French physicist.

      To dissipate and drive out the residual electron cloud, the accelerator had to be brought to the limit of its maximum permissible capacity to circulate very high-energy flows of particles.

      A mini black hole was probably created during this rather unusual mode of operation of the Large Hadron Collider, literally snapping up the physicist located near the fleetingly-created space/time vortex.

      In an interview with the press shortly before his death, the eminent theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking (author of "Black Holes and Baby Universes") stated that not all information is lost when something enters a black hole and there might be a possibility to retrieve information from a black hole.

      Scientists will soon initiate new mini black holes in an attempt to keep in touch with the missing physicist and the possibility for eventually returning him to our dimension of space and time.

      Physicist disappears into a mini black hole created by the CERN particle accelerator
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607000].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author socialentry
        Originally Posted by myob View Post

        With these new upgrades the Large Hadron Collider is being referred to as a future "black hole factory". But an accident in 2016 caused an immediate shutdown of the facility due to a strange case of the unexplained disappearance of a French physicist.

        To dissipate and drive out the residual electron cloud, the accelerator had to be brought to the limit of its maximum permissible capacity to circulate very high-energy flows of particles.

        A mini black hole was probably created during this rather unusual mode of operation of the Large Hadron Collider, literally snapping up the physicist located near the fleetingly-created space/time vortex.

        In an interview with the press shortly before his death, the eminent theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking (author of "Black Holes and Baby Universes") stated that not all information is lost when something enters a black hole and there might be a possibility to retrieve information from a black hole.

        Scientists will soon initiate new mini black holes in an attempt to keep in touch with the missing physicist and the possibility for eventually returning him to our dimension of space and time.

        Physicist disappears into a mini black hole created by the CERN particle accelerator

        I wonder how many people believe DOOM 95 and half-life were non-fiction or based on true events.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607014].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607117].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Interesting, so you could get custom tiny ones to put in your trash can, no more taking out the trash.

        And of course, Claude's Restroom could benefit too, although a little larger.
        Don't forget Politicians, you know how they are always always talking trash and s*it.
        Signature
        W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
        The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607144].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Interesting, so you could get custom tiny ones to put in your trash can, no more taking out the trash.

        And of course, Claude's Restroom could benefit too, although a little larger.
        I know, but if we could create mini stable ones, then what? We may use them as a new power source for cars and planes.

        Douglas Adams would have a ball with this idea, or our universe may be littered with micro and mini black holes to another parallel universe, using it to dispose of their waste.

        The event horizon should distroy most of it, but still not a pleasant thought, not even for Claude!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607200].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        And of course, Claude's Restroom
        Which Google Maps shows being where the Wooster Sewage Plant is located.

        Coincidence?

        You be the judge. I report*, you decide.

        *(or in this particular case, make stuff up)**

        **Or did I?
        Signature
        A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...hers-1.3006998

    Having been significantly upgraded since its discovery of the elusive Higgs Boson in 2012, the world's largest particle accelerator is about to embark on a new series of experiments designed to detect tiny black holes.

    If it succeeds it could open up a new chapter in particle physics which could help to explain the nature of dark matter and prove the existence of parallel universes.


    wat do u think the odds r that a defense contractor opened a portal to mars and sent soldiers over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    If'n all these universes be like IKEA, there ain't likely nuthin' parallel gowin' on.


    Wonky af if'n I got anythin' to do with it.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Actually that "news" is over 4 years old. Parallel universes, black holes, black matter, etc. Been there done that.

    A new Larger Large Hadron Collider is planned, with construction beginning in 2038.

    CERN is planning to build a second, larger 100 kilometer collider.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607326].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dsimms
      a lot of people could be fed for $23 billion dollars, or the money could be put to better use rather than trying to figure out how to suck planet earth inside out...

      No wonder these EU fines are so ridiculous!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by watch 009tv View Post

    Thank you so much
    You are quite welcome and remember that if you want to thank someone you can also click on the THANKS button.

    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Claude gets charged extra for his contributions, as a diet of KFC and fast food is of no value to making good quality compost.
    i was wondering why the bio-hazard stickers where stacked behind his counter, (l paid a spy on Fiverr to do reconnaissance).

    Originally Posted by myob View Post

    Actually that "news" is over 4 years old. Parallel universes, black holes, black matter, etc. Been there done that.

    A new Larger Large Hadron Collider is planned, with construction beginning in 2038.

    CERN is planning to build a second, larger 100 kilometer collider.
    Yes, l saw that also, and thanks for the irony!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607333].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Yes, l saw that also, and thanks for the irony!.
      With apologies, my comments were just for playing around with you. Just a joke. No black holes holes have every been artificially produced and there has never been proof of the theory of parallel universes. Check your sources (and mine too). You might find a bunny.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607566].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by myob View Post

        With apologies, my comments were just for playing around with you. Just a joke. No black holes holes have every been artificially produced and there has never been proof of the theory of parallel universes. Check your sources (and mine too). You might find a bunny.
        Ok, now l am disappointed, (not as much as trying to become a Guardian in Zelda WiiU, which was an April fools gag) but close.

        Find a bunny, l have spent years trying to find a bunny, (in other areas) but only find rocks. Well rocks, rain, tall prickles, artifacts, etc.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607579].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

          Ok, now l am disappointed
          You will never be disappointed by seeing what is really going on. Start by checking out ScienceDaily.com or LiveScience.com.

          The discoveries being made are far more fascinating than anything "science fiction" could ever imagine.

          "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
          - Albert Einstein
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607585].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            You will never be disappointed by seeing what is really going on. Start by checking out ScienceDaily.com or LiveScience.com.

            The discoveries being made are far more fascinating than anything "science fiction" could ever imagine.

            "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
            - Albert Einstein

            There are lots of things that were once science fiction but today they are science fact. After all, nobody can make anything without the use of imagination, whether it's someone else's or your own. Everything starts with an idea.
            Signature

            Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
            Visit my site for more info

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607714].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

              There are lots of things that were once science fiction but today they are science fact.
              First, that is true.
              But I want to address it because it implies a leap in logic, a mistake in reasoning.

              1) Science facts don't always start as science fiction. In fact, those cases are rare.

              2) Science fiction is a story incorporating an element of imagination based on a scientific theme. Much science fiction reads like future science, but it's just the imagination of the author, not the precursor of a science theory.

              Take any science fiction movie. Some are better than others, and some of the best had a scientist on staff to make the story sound plausible. But there are always scientific impossibilities...or (more politely) flights of imagination, to make the story better, not more accurate.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607789].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                First, that is true.
                But I want to address it because it implies a leap in logic, a mistake in reasoning.

                1) Science facts don't always start as science fiction. In fact, those cases are rare.

                2) Science fiction is a story incorporating an element of imagination based on a scientific theme. Much science fiction reads like future science, but it's just the imagination of the author, not the precursor of a science theory.

                Take any science fiction movie. Some are better than others, and some of the best had a scientist on staff to make the story sound plausible. But there are always scientific impossibilities...or (more politely) flights of imagination, to make the story better, not more accurate.
                Quite a few things start off as Science Fiction ideas. So its just a case of applying science an technology to make them: Dr M Coy's hypo-spray, To be able to apply medicine through the skin without using a needle, being worked on if not already made. His device for detecting ailments externally, yep, made, but only does a few so far. Kirk's personal communicator, the flip or cell phone. The self driving taxis in Total Recall, pretty much with us or soon will be. The language translator, already here, though it does not do alien translations yet, only what we know.

                To be able to reproduce objects like food or replacement parts, the 3d printer, going great guns. There are quite a few things that started out as Sifi concepts as it inspires people to say, could we make this?
                Signature

                Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607805].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                  Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                  Quite a few things start off as Science Fiction ideas. So its just a case of applying science an technology to make them: Dr M Coy's hypo-spray, To be able to apply medicine through the skin without using a needle, being worked on if not already made. His device for detecting ailments externally, yep, made, but only does a few so far. Kirk's personal communicator, the flip or cell phone. The self driving taxis in Total Recall, pretty much with us or soon will be.

                  To be able to reproduce objects like food or replacement parts, the 3d printer, going great guns. There are quite a few things that started out as Sifi concepts as it inspires people to say, could we make this?
                  Of the billions of ideas that were originally part of a science fiction story, you have just listed about all of the ones that eventually became something similar to what was in the shows.

                  You are using a logical inconstancy. You are assuming (because you said it) that we are trying to create something for real, because it was featured in a sci fi movie or story.

                  Actually, we invent or discover something, and out of a million things we invent, a few happen to ...kind of...match something featured in a tv show. The match comes after the invention is made, not before.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607812].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                    Of the billions of ideas that were originally part of a science fiction story, you have just listed about all of the ones that eventually became something similar to what was in the shows.

                    You are using a logical inconstancy. You are assuming (because you said it) that we are trying to create something for real, because it was featured in a sci fi movie or story.

                    Actually, we invent or discover something, and out of a million things we invent, a few happen to ...kind of...match something featured in a tv show. The match comes after the invention is made, not before.
                    Some of what you are saying is true, but not all. These are just a few I thought of, I have read only a tiny fraction of the Sifi out there.

                    How ever a thing is conceptualized, in Sifi or as a real life application, it still needs to be dreamed up in the first place as an application. Would we be trying to develop a hypo spray for example if it had not been conceptualized in Star Trek, debatable.

                    There are obvious logical and real life applications that are made out of necessity, like a self pumping pen and velcro to be used in weightlessness, but also things that are dreamed up as desirable.

                    Take Apple or other computers for example. Much of the development and refinement from computer manufacturers comes from suggestions from users. Things that the manufactures would have not have otherwise dreamed of doing. The case for now we have this, we now want this (inspiration) to make it better comes from users, or you could say, dreamers.

                    I had an original thought for a product the other day. (rare for me). While when USPS puts stuff in your mailbox and is illegal for anyone to tamper with it or steal it. Stuff does get stolen. Also, a lot of stuff that gets put on your doorstep from the likes of amazon etc. too cheap to require a signature, that can get stolen. A knock at the door is usually done but chances are are you are out at work.

                    So I propose a coded entry storage box outside your front door, although you could only go up to a certain size it would be better than nothing.. The entry code can be logged with Amazon and other parcel delivery services, it could even be changed electronically day by day so when say Amazon logs that a delivery is imminent it transmits a code to them to use and also sends it to you via email or text so you can retrieve the item.

                    This tech is already in place inside our apartment complex, all packages over mail sized are put in a compartmentalized block of various sized lockers, the doors are completely flush and only released from the inside. When a package arrives the staff send you a code and notification to go and type in to retrieve it.

                    What has not been done is to think this through for individuals in private residences. I ordered a laptop a few years back and was just left on my doorstep, could have been stolen. That's what prompted me to think of it.
                    Signature

                    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fenceline
    Look on youtube type in the Mandela Effect talking about parallel Universes very interesting theory.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607379].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by fenceline View Post

      Look on youtube type in the Mandela Effect talking about parallel Universes very interesting theory.
      I have a whole thread devoted to this citing examples on another forum. There is a hardcore few that I just cannot get my head round.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Extraction of Energy from a Black Hole

    So if we create big enough, and stable number of black holes it could, (dare l say it) allow a free, limitless energy source.

    Here is the confirmation experiment done recently, or proof that Perpetual Systems are possible.

    https://www.sciencealert.com/an-expe...m-a-black-hole

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I went to the 'sciencealert' link and my first thought was 'this is not a scientific journal'. In particular, the phrases below caught my attention....as did a copyscape run that shows 80+% of the text is pure copy/paste. The unique 20% seem to be pretentious comments as below...
    .

    to slurp out some of that rotational energy

    peculiar theoretical ideas can be brilliantly used to explore the physical properties of some of the most extreme objects in the Universe.

    So I checked further (curious person that I am) - and found this description of that particular website:

    Flaky Academic Journals: An Alert About Science Alert

    The only 'credit' given is at the end where this link is posted...

    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-020-0944-3
    ...where contributors, citations and footnotes are listed...


    I did find a page listing the 'writers' of sciencealert - if you look at the 5th person down - that is the author of this 'alert'....seriously....

    https://www.sciencealert.com/our-team

    Sometimes looking INTO 'articles' like this one is more interesting than anything posted in the 'article'....to me, at least.
    Signature
    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607498].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      I went to the 'sciencealert' link and my first thought was 'this is not a scientific journal'. In particular, the phrases below caught my attention....as did a copyscape run that shows 80+% of the text is pure copy/paste. The unique 20% seem to be pretentious comments as below...

      So I checked further (curious person that I am) - and found this description of that particular website:

      Flaky Academic Journals: An Alert About Science Alert

      The only 'credit' given is at the end where this link is posted...

      https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-020-0944-3
      ...where contributors, citations and footnotes are listed...

      I did find a page listing the 'writers' of sciencealert - if you look at the 5th person down - that is the author of this 'alert'....seriously....

      https://www.sciencealert.com/our-team

      Sometimes looking INTO 'articles' like this one is more interesting than anything posted in the 'article'....to me, at least.

      The takeaway: so there, take that.
      Some people stand on the shoulders of giants and get swatted with a giant flyswatter.
      Signature
      W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
      The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Not really - I was serious. I find the back stories far more interesting than the 'did you see this' part in many cases. It's amazing how much fodder publications can manufacture from one original scientific announcement.

    Puts a lot of 'news stories' in perspective. Just entertaining myself. Standing on the shoulders of giants is high risk behavior - it's a long fall to the bottom and I'm fearful of heights.
    Signature
    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Not really - I was serious. I find the back stories far more interesting than the 'did you see this' part in many cases. It's amazing how much fodder publications can manufacture from one original scientific announcement.

      Puts a lot of 'news stories' in perspective. Just entertaining myself. Standing on the shoulders of giants is high risk behavior - it's a long fall to the bottom and I'm fearful of heights.

      Oh, I know you are serious Kay and I look at it just like you do. I just have a different way of expressing it.
      Signature
      W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
      The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I am going to throw my 2 cents worth in here, even though it's not legal Australian currency.
    In the year 1900, our world was vastly different to what it is today.
    If you took some of the things we take for granted and showed them to people living in 1900, they would either think they're fake or would be amazed at what can be accomplished, given enough time, money and conviction in beliefs.

    If a few people, who live/lived in 2120, brought back some items they commonly use, we probably would also be astonished.

    However, because of the increased speed that changes happen nowadays,
    I believe we're foolish to ignore the serious possibility of future scientific advancement here, and that there is life on other planets, and in other galaxies, let alone in other universes and/or alternate universes.

    OK. I shared my thoughts.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607678].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      I belief we're foolish to ignore the serious possibility of future scientific advancement here, and that there is life on other planets, and in other galaxies, let alone in other universes and/or alternate universes.
      Scientists do take this possibility seriously. And advances in our technology for detection has raised this probability to heart-throbbing heights of potential possibilities. But probability is not evidence.

      For example, there is a very high likelihood of favorable conditions for primitive life in our own solar system (ie several moons of Jupiter and Saturn), although no direct observation is possible at this time. But probes are on the way.

      The Hubble telescope has peered deep into space and revealed distant galaxies, comets, evolution of stars, black holes, mapped dark matter, confirmed Einstein's space-time continuum theory, discovered planets orbiting other suns, and even found planets with near earth-like conditions.

      A new, more powerful and technologically advanced telescope, the James Webb Space Telescope, was scheduled to be launched in March but has been delayed until March 2021 because of COVID-19.

      The JWST will be able to look much deeper into the universe and penetrate obscuring dust and gas at galaxies, stars, and planets which were far too distant or faint for Hubble. The universe most likely is abundant with life.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607698].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by myob View Post

        mapped dark matter,
        About that..
        Lawrence Krause, in a podcast explained what Dark Matter is.

        It's the very diffused matter (mostly on a subatomic scale) between galaxies. Maybe one proton per square yard.

        But the distances between galaxies is so impossible to imagine...that this diffused matter makes up about 80% of the mass of the observable universe.

        Scientists have even been able to see this matter (I cannot remember what they use). it tends to form a web of matter between clusters of galaxies. Almost like a neural net. So you are right about it being mapped.

        The reason we still say we don't know what dark matter is, it doesn't have enough density to determine what elements it's made of, or whether it's whole atoms or just fragments.


        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        Science fiction says a whole lot more about the world when the fiction was written than it does about any future time.
        Stop being more insightful than I am. I find it irritating.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607793].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          The reason we still say we don't know what dark matter is, it doesn't have enough density to determine what elements it's made of, or whether it's whole atoms or just fragments.
          Whatever it is, dark matter comprises over 85% of the mass of the universe. The elementary "god particle" discovered by the Large Hadron Collider in 2012 is thought to be accountable for this unseen missing mass, which explains the observed velocity dispersion of the stars orbiting around the center of galaxies.

          There are regions in space where the gravitation effects of dark matter matter can be "seen" as a force preventing many galaxies from flying apart, which would happen if gravity was the only interacting force. This force is so pervasive, it does bend the net-like fabric of the space-time continuum in regions of the cosmos.

          Science fiction can't make this stuff up. New discoveries are what drives the imagination.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607797].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          About that..
          Lawrence Krause, in a podcast explained what Dark Matter is.

          It's the very diffused matter (mostly on a subatomic scale) between galaxies. Maybe one proton per square yard.

          But the distances between galaxies is so impossible to imagine...that this diffused matter makes up about 80% of the mass of the observable universe.

          Scientists have even been able to see this matter (I cannot remember what they use). it tends to form a web of matter between clusters of galaxies. Almost like a neural net. So you are right about it being mapped.

          The reason we still say we don't know what dark matter is, it doesn't have enough density to determine what elements it's made of, or whether it's whole atoms or just fragments.




          Stop being more insightful than I am. I find it irritating.
          Watched this video on Dark Matter last night, new stuff to me. Worth a look but the title differs from what is said in the video. "Has" been discovered changes to "May" have been discovered.

          https://youtu.be/DXVgkyllo2A
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607801].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Stop being more insightful than I am. I find it irritating.
          So molluscs irritate you?
          Signature
          A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11608983].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

            So molluscs irritate you?
            That's why he only owns one basic mobile phone at a time. Anything beyond a Single Cell confuses him.
            Signature

            Marriage, For The Best Arguments

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11609058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    My belief that there is life on other planets is firmly based on my hope that WE are not the best the universe has to offer....
    Signature
    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607790].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      My belief that there is life on other planets is firmly based on my hope that WE are not the best the universe has to offer....

      Neil deGrasse Tyson had a good insight into this.

      He explained how the difference between a human brain and an ape brain was just two differences in our genome. Two different genes. And except for the number of neurons, the brains of apes and humans are identical.

      He wondered if there was a species out there that was just two genes more advanced than us, two genes making up their brains...more advanced than us.

      What would they be like? How would they think? It's impossible for us to know. And it would be impossible for us to understand.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607791].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Neil deGrasse Tyson had a good insight into this.

        He explained how the difference between a human brain and an ape brain was just two differences in our genome. Two different genes. And except for the number of neurons, the brains of apes and humans are identical.

        He wondered if there was a species out there that was just two genes more advanced than us, two genes making up their brains...more advanced than us.

        What would they be like? How would they think? It's impossible for us to know. And it would be impossible for us to understand.
        Let's say that two Genomes ahead of ours would lead to perhaps a typical IQ of 300. Now if we were to encounter them and look at their technology, understanding of the universe etc. We would not be like our ancestors who would think they were experiencing magic in encountering such a thing. We would be in some cases saying, aha, what we suspected but could never prove is so.

        We collectively work on such matters all the time in an attempt to understand things and use ever advancing computers and machines like colliders to prove or disprove our theories.

        A race with a 300 IQ may have never thought the need to build computers for example. So very early on the would have grasped many concepts like quantum mechanics just using there minds and experimentation and may have created machines that use anti gravity, conquered faster than light travel, fusion power, all sorts of seemingly impossible stuff we may eventually get.

        But because they were so smart and never thought of the concept of computers, eventually, given time, we would surpass their knowledge. That's what we do, not only do the experimentation but have ever advanced computers to crunch the numbers and run simulations. We have a lower IQ but have just enough savvy to produce machines that do the crunching for us.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607798].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Let's say that two Genomes ahead of ours would lead to perhaps a typical IQ of 300. Now if we were to encounter them and look at their technology, understanding of the universe etc. We would not be like our ancestors who would think they were experiencing magic in encountering such a thing. We would be in some cases saying, aha, what we suspected but could never prove is so.

          They wouldn't have an IQ of 300. Their ability to think would be as different as ours is to apes. We would never be able to test them. We would have no idea how.

          Another step in their evolution would make them as different from our thinking, as ours is to a rabbit.

          There is literally no way for us to imagine how they would think....what they would consider important, what they would create.

          You could train an ape for 1,000 years, and it could never grasp algebra, or how to write, or play a musical instrument. There are people with IQs over 200. They are just like you and me, except smarter. Quicker. This would be another species altogether.

          But apes can love their young, feel loyalty, anger, sorrow. Maybe that tells us something too.

          And another thought. Tyson was giving a "for instance". And other advanced beings would look nothing like us, process information nothing like us. For them to be remotely humanoid..they would have to evolve on an identical planet to ours, with an identical Sun, with an identical evolution...for billions of years.

          So we probably aren't ever going to see people with large heads, and big eyes, like in the science fiction movies....that speak English....with a British accent....and are after our women.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607804].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            They wouldn't have an IQ of 300. Their ability to think would be as different as ours is to apes. We would never be able to test them. We would have no idea how.

            Another step in their evolution would make them as different from our thinking, as ours is to a rabbit.

            There is literally no way for us to imagine how they would think....what they would consider important, what they would create.

            You could train an ape for 1,000 years, and it could never grasp algebra, or how to write, or play a musical instrument. There are people with IQs over 200. They are just like you and me, except smarter. Quicker. This would be another species altogether.

            But apes can love their young, feel loyalty, anger, sorrow. Maybe that tells us something too.

            And another thought. Tyson was giving a "for instance". And other advanced beings would look nothing like us, process information nothing like us. For them to be remotely humanoid..they would have to evolve on an identical planet to ours, with an identical Sun, with an identical evolution...for billions of years.

            So we probably aren't ever going to see people with large heads, and big eyes, like in the science fiction movies....that speak English....with a British accent....and are after our women.
            It does not matter how they think, what they think or what they look like, because there is one thing that binds us, the universe and our's and theirs understanding of it. And then going on to manipulate and apply some of that knowledge. there will always be some commonality.
            Signature

            Marriage, For The Best Arguments

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    2) Science fiction is a story incorporating an element of imagination based on a scientific theme. Much science fiction reads like future science, but it's just the imagination of the author, not the precursor of a science theory.
    Science fiction says a whole lot more about the world when the fiction was written than it does about any future time.

    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

    My belief that there is life on other planets is firmly based on my hope that WE are not the best the universe has to offer....
    You mean we're the best that Earth has to offer?
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Let's say that two Genomes ahead of ours would lead to perhaps a typical IQ of 300. Now if we were to encounter them and look at their technology, understanding of the universe etc. We would not be like our ancestors who would think they were experiencing magic in encountering such a thing. We would be in some cases saying, aha, what we suspected but could never prove is so.

    We collectively work on such matters all the time in an attempt to understand things and use ever advancing computers and machines like colliders to prove or disprove our theories.

    A race with a 300 IQ may have never thought the need to build computers for example. So very early on the would have grasped many concepts like quantum mechanics just using there minds and experimentation and may have created machines that use anti gravity, conquered faster than light travel, fusion power, all sorts of seemingly impossible stuff we may eventually get.

    But because they were so smart and never thought of the concept of computers, eventually, given time, we would surpass their knowledge. That's what we do, not only do the experimentation but have ever advanced computers to crunch the numbers and run simulations. We have a lower IQ but have just enough savvy to produce machines that do the crunching for us.
    It all depends on whether they get out of the warlike mindset, or not.

    We can currently mess up our planet by placing a Tzar Russian nuclear bomb at the thinnest point of the Manarias Trench, which would cause widespread earthquakes, and possibly a Super volcano eruption.

    String enough of those together and launch it at a planet and the atmosphere is a mess.

    As for speculation, that is pretty easy, just stay within a humanoid restriction, and push tech, as far as it can go.

    So a wafer thin sheet of crystal that can show a video image or 3D real life hologram is probably one. We will probably have those in 200,300 years time, unless we get lucky?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mordriel
    Parallel universes are something I've believed in since... what... age five? I'm thirty-seven years old, and that belief is stronger than ever. It's much more believable than the LHC destroying THIS universe (which is [I believe] is one of an infinite number) with micro black holes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by mordriel View Post

      Parallel universes are something I've believed in since... what... age five? I'm thirty-seven years old, and that belief is stronger than ever. It's much more believable than the LHC destroying THIS universe (which is [I believe] is one of an infinite number) with micro black holes.
      You're going to love it here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607945].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        You're going to love it here.
        Yes, of course he is. It explains why "Stoffer's Stove Top Stuffing" no longer exists in this Universe and never did.

        It's those naughty boys and girls at Cern who in 2015, did an interview with MSN and announced they were going to try and punch through to an Alt universe using their collider.

        Obviously they succeeded, causing leakage from one to the other. Food product names were severely affected.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JPs copy
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Don't Google Claude and Vibrating Soap, l beg of you!

      Not to worry.

      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      Yes, of course he is. It explains why "Stoffer's Stove Top Stuffing" no longer exists in this Universe and never did.

      It's those naughty boys and girls at Cern who in 2015, did an interview with MSN and announced they were going to try and punch through to an Alt universe using their collider.

      Obviously they succeeded, causing leakage from one to the other. Food product names were severely affected.
      I didn't know that. Thank you.
      Signature
      W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
      The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      In all fairness, jokes aside, I always look forward to this type of discussions. You all are great.
      Signature
      W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
      The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607994].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

        In all fairness, jokes aside, I always look forward to this type of discussions. You all are great.
        Why thank you, you smooth talking Clucker, nice talking to you too.

        Yes it's true, try finding any reference to "Stoufers Stove Top Stuffing" now, or in the past, and you will fail. It's always been Kraft.

        Those meddlers at Cern have a lot to answer for. Ruining peoples life and sanity (like mine), like suddenly putting a "The" in front of all "Home Depot" store front names, appearing in 2015 and history now says it's been like that since 1977. Hillary Clinton losing an "L" in her first name through-out the election campaign only to have it reappear afterwards? Then there's Laurel and Hardy Now saying "Well, there's another "Nice" mess you have gotten me into" in all their shorts and movies, instead of "Fine" mess. The list goes on.

        Send a stamped addressed envelope and I will send you the rest.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11608009].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Those meddlers at Cern have a lot to answer for. Ruining peoples life and sanity (like mine), like suddenly putting a "The" in front of all "Home Depot" store front names, appearing in 2015 and history now says it's been like that since 1977. Hillary Clinton losing an "L" in her first name through-out the election campaign only to have it reappear afterwards? Then there's Laurel and Hardy Now saying "Well, there's another "Nice" mess you have gotten me into" in all their shorts and movies, instead of "Fine" mess. The list goes on.

          Send a stamped addressed envelope and I will send you the rest.
          Those "meddlers" at CERN also put up a statue of Shiva, the Hindu Lord of Dance near the Large Hadron Collider. The belief is that Lord Shiva danced the Universe into existence, motivates it, and will eventually destroy it. This 'cosmic dance' of subatomic particles could someday make all your problems go away.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11608036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    This is all new to me, so I Googled "Hadron Collider" and not a thing to be found. Then I Googled "Claude Had a Collider" and Voila!

    Your welcome.
    Signature
    W A R N I N G - S P O I L E R - A L E R T
    The Best Source of Free Traffic is in This Very Forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

      This is all new to me, so I Googled "Hadron Collider" and not a thing to be found. Then I Googled "Claude Had a Collider" and Voila!

      Your welcome.
      Don't Google Claude and Vibrating Soap, l beg of you!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11607971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hanna Grey
    Banned
    Congratulations on your new achievements looking forward to another update drywall repair surrey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11611162].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics