The Quantum Leap With A Twist What If

13 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Imagine your mind was transported back to the body of your childhood self. Suddenly your mothers 6 year old son is talking with a worldly intelligence and knowledge of the future. Unfortunately this is permanent situation, no jumping from body to body. You have to grow up in that scenario.

How would you cope, what would you do to take advantage of the situation as you grew up? Would you try to hide it until you grew older?

For a while you may be treated as a child prodigy but that would not be forever...
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author deu12000
    You might be a prodigy/genius for the rest of your life. Now you have longer to learn new things and make adjustments. You have the childhood development years to improve in every way. If you were an athlete in your adult years now you can start sooner and become even better than possible.


    You could also potentially change your family's path with interviews, books, movies, etc...



    Either that or you will have the worst childhood ever since you'll be thinking about complex adult situations and everyone that will take you seriously is still eating their boogers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by deu12000 View Post

      You might be a prodigy/genius for the rest of your life. Now you have longer to learn new things and make adjustments. You have the childhood development years to improve in every way. If you were an athlete in your adult years now you can start sooner and become even better than possible.


      You could also potentially change your family's path with interviews, books, movies, etc...



      Either that or you will have the worst childhood ever since you'll be thinking about complex adult situations and everyone that will take you seriously is still eating their boogers.
      I think that in the early years you may well be seen as being more intelligent up to a point, You may know math and reading and writing English better, but when you got to your mid teen years you would be left behind as your IQ is only average or slightly better than some.

      In as much as you remember, you might fare better, being a prophet, remembering key historical moments ahead of time, but how good is your memory, men the moon in 69, the JFK Assassination etc, some forthcoming tech, but they would not be that detailed unless you had studied modern history.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628215].message }}
      • Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        I think that in the early years you may well be seen as being more intelligent up to a point, You may know math and reading and writing English better, but when you got to your mid teen years you would be left behind as your IQ is only average or slightly better than some..
        There is that.


        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        In as much as you remember, you might fare better, being a prophet, remembering key historical moments ahead of time, but how good is your memory, men the moon in 69, the JFK Assassination etc, some forthcoming tech, but they would not be that detailed unless you had studied modern history.
        Let's assume this was real.

        You would absolutely have to keep it a secret from everyone. Your parents, siblings....everyone. Forever.

        If you suddenly spoke like a 60 year old man, started reasoning like a 60 year old man...and made a few "predictions" that came true...

        Everyone around you would be scared to death of you.

        Eventually, you would give in to the temptation to tell someone what happened. They wouldn't believe you. At the very least, you would be committed to an asylum.

        But more likely, someone would kill you, because they would believe you are unnatural...a monster.

        I would never want to relive my childhood or young adulthood again, with my 65 year old mind and memories.


        For everyone, it would be unrelenting torture. Everyone you loved and respected as a kid would sound like an idiot. You wouldn't want to be around your childhood friends. One slip, and you would scare them to death. Rumors would spread about the "odd kid down the block".

        Personally, my childhood was a living hell. It would simply be made exponentially worse, because I would understand more what is happening, and there is no escape. I'm absolutely certain that if my Mom thought I could predict the future, or showed abnormal abilities in thinking....she would have been convinced that I was a demon, and killed me in my sleep. I'm not joking.


        I thought about this before. If I did this, I would want to enter my body as a 19 year old. I was already out of my parent's home, and making a living.

        And I wouldn't have to be as careful how I talked. I could take advantage of known events, without ever letting on that I knew they were about to happen. I would have to move out of state, so I wouldn't run into relatives or childhood friends.

        Of course, the downside of changing your past, is that you can't control the new results of your new actions.

        And because you are acting differently than you did before, as you age, the effects of your new actions spread across the globe. By the time you are my age, the country may be an entirely different place than it was.

        Right now, I've made it to 65. But a third of the people don't survive to 65. So there would be a 1 in 3 chance that I would get hit by a car, fall down a flight of stairs, or get killed in some other way. (OK, there is a flaw in that statement. Can anyone tell me what it is?)



        In my new life, I may not meet Cheryl. And if I did, she may not marry me. And that would be unbearable, I think.

        So I would stick with what I have.


        Here is something to think about. If one person living 5,000 year ago, died at birth. Nobody living today would exist..... It would be an entirely different population.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628375].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          There is that.




          Let's assume this was real.

          You would absolutely have to keep it a secret from everyone. Your parents, siblings....everyone. Forever.

          If you suddenly spoke like a 60 year old man, started reasoning like a 60 year old man...and made a few "predictions" that came true...

          Everyone around you would be scared to death of you.

          Eventually, you would give in to the temptation to tell someone what happened. They wouldn't believe you. At the very least, you would be committed to an asylum.

          But more likely, someone would kill you, because they would believe you are unnatural...a monster.

          I would never want to relive my childhood or young adulthood again, with my 65 year old mind and memories.


          For everyone, it would be unrelenting torture. Everyone you loved and respected as a kid would sound like an idiot. You wouldn't want to be around your childhood friends. One slip, and you would scare them to death. Rumors would spread about the "odd kid down the block".

          Personally, my childhood was a living hell. It would simply be made exponentially worse, because I would understand more what is happening, and there is no escape. I'm absolutely certain that if my Mom thought I could predict the future, or showed abnormal abilities in thinking....she would have been convinced that I was a demon, and killed me in my sleep. I'm not joking.


          I thought about this before. If I did this, I would want to enter my body as a 19 year old. I was already out of my parent's home, and making a living.

          And I wouldn't have to be as careful how I talked. I could take advantage of known events, without ever letting on that I knew they were about to happen. I would have to move out of state, so I wouldn't run into relatives or childhood friends.

          Of course, the downside of changing your past, is that you can't control the new results of your new actions.

          And because you are acting differently than you did before, as you age, the effects of your new actions spread across the globe. By the time you are my age, the country may be an entirely different place than it was.

          Right now, I've made it to 65. But a third of the people don't survive to 65. So there would be a 1 in 3 chance that I would get hit by a car, fall down a flight of stairs, or get killed in some other way. (OK, there is a flaw in that statement. Can anyone tell me what it is?)



          In my new life, I may not meet Cheryl. And if I did, she may not marry me. And that would be unbearable, I think.

          So I would stick with what I have.


          Here is something to think about. If one person living 5,000 year ago, died at birth. Nobody living today would exist..... It would be an entirely different population.
          You have explored admirably all the horrors if it happened. I think covering up would be extremely difficult. To get back into behaving like a 6 year old would be daunting. Imagine having to keep your mouth shut when your mother and others started spouting their, lets say, interesting beliefs.

          On the plus side (and you definitely are)

          You would at least know where your present wife lived and could have worked out a way of bumping into her earlier. Save up some money along the way with your even more successful early salesman prowess as you have the skills under your belt already.

          When the time came, buy a load of stock from Apple and Microsoft as soon as it goes on the market which multiplies your investment many, many times over. You would not want for cash.

          Pro's and Con's. The first ten years, I agree, would be very difficult.

          "Right now, I've made it to 65. But a third of the people don't survive to 65. So there would be a 1 in 3 chance that I would get hit by a car, fall down a flight of stairs, or get killed in some other way. (OK, there is a flaw in that statement. Can anyone tell me what it is?)"

          Well it did not happen to you but being in different locations, because your life goes differently might mean you will get hit in the re-run. But, the odd's are the same.
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628420].message }}
          • Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            You have explored admirably all the horrors if it happened. I think covering up would be extremely difficult. To get back into behaving like a 6 year old would be daunting. Imagine having to keep your mouth shut when your mother and others started spouting their, lets say, interesting beliefs.
            It's not just that. My family wasn't educated. It would be hard to talk to any of them, on any subject. School would be more pleasant, because I would have social skills I didn't have back then.

            But imagine living in the 60s, and 70s. Again. Every conversation is a chore, because most of what is said is based on a mindset that doesn't exist any more.

            And going through puberty again? No thanks.


            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            You would at least know where your present wife lived and could have worked out a way of bumping into her earlier. Save up some money along the way with your even more successful early salesman prowess as you have the skills under your belt already.

            When the time came, buy a load of stock from Apple and Microsoft as soon as it goes on the market which multiplies your investment many, many times over. You would not want for cash.
            But you have to understand... My life would take a different path, because I'm essentially a different person.

            I would likely be rich, because I already know how to make money, and when and where to invest it.

            But still....Would my wife go out with a man like that? Would I have the same personality? We met by her coming into my store and buying a vacuum cleaner from me. In most scenarios, I'd risk her turning my date request down.

            She got married (the first time) when she was 20 years old...and I was 12 years old.

            She was only divorced a couple of years before I met her. Timing was everything. And luck. No. I wouldn't risk it. I'm a better man today because of her.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628428].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              It's not just that. My family wasn't educated. It would be hard to talk to any of them, on any subject. School would be more pleasant, because I would have social skills I didn't have back then.

              But imagine living in the 60s, and 70s. Again. Every conversation is a chore, because most of what is said is based on a mindset that doesn't exist any more.

              And going through puberty again? No thanks.




              But you have to understand... My life would take a different path, because I'm essentially a different person.

              I would likely be rich, because I already know how to make money, and when and where to invest it.

              But still....Would my wife go out with a man like that? Would I have the same personality? We met by her coming into my store and buying a vacuum cleaner from me. In most scenarios, I'd risk her turning my date request down.

              She got married (the first time) when she was 20 years old...and I was 12 years old.

              She was only divorced a couple of years before I met her. Timing was everything. And luck. No. I wouldn't risk it. I'm a better man today because of her.
              I see that you would not have more than a couple of extra years with your wife at best. A twelve year old turning up at her door saying "You are the one for me" would certainly not go down well. Lol. Do you actually know the date she came in your store? You would have to engineer having a store and being there on that date to be in with the chance.

              Would your personality be different though. You had 65 odd years for it to be fully formed. Would it change?
              Signature

              Marriage, For The Best Arguments

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628429].message }}
              • Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                Would your personality be different though. You had 65 odd years for it to be fully formed. Would it change?
                That's a very smart question.

                Yes, you would be completely different.

                Start with the life you let up to now.

                Now....start when you are six, and know everything you know now. You would think differently, act differently, respond to the changing times in a completely different way than you originally did.

                You would have different friends, develop different opinions over time. All of this would mold you into a different person.

                And remember, I would essentially have lived 120 years or so when I got to the age I am now.

                Haven't you changed over the decades? I'm certainly not the same person I was 30 or 40 years ago.

                I've had old school mates see me in a store or traveling...and they remark about how I'm not like they remember me. But then, if you are 65 years old, and act like an 18 year old...isn't that sad?

                While we were growing up, our inexperience...our ignorance are what shaped us. If that's missing, who knows what kind of person we would turn out to be?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628440].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                  Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                  That's a very smart question.

                  Yes, you would be completely different.

                  Start with the life you let up to now.

                  Now....start when you are six, and know everything you know now. You would think differently, act differently, respond to the changing times in a completely different way than you originally did.

                  You would have different friends, develop different opinions over time. All of this would mold you into a different person.

                  And remember, I would essentially have lived 120 years or so when I got to the age I am now.

                  Haven't you changed over the decades? I'm certainly not the same person I was 30 or 40 years ago.

                  I've had old school mates see me in a store or traveling...and they remark about how I'm not like they remember me. But then, if you are 65 years old, and act like an 18 year old...isn't that sad?

                  While we were growing up, our inexperience...our ignorance are what shaped us. If that's missing, who knows what kind of person we would turn out to be?
                  I can certainly see you and myself for that matter avoiding some friendships and you avoiding your first marriage for example.. however, the world and semi-personal events that led you to being how you are now are in this case, just repeating. Your looking back on them and opinions now are what you think about them in hindsight.

                  You become a little more entrenched in your opinions as you get older becoming more ridged.

                  Certainly, the circumstances of your life would change in relationships, possibly even career choices, and you could avoid mistakes and diversions. But, would your general worldly knowledge about what transpires and your opinions about them change, I'm not so sure. You talk about the fact that your wife was good for you. But, you go back having had that "training" and insights that she gave you.

                  It's an interesting one.

                  Added, one thing not touched on is the physicality, the youthful exuberance of being a 6 year old and then the raging hormones of your teenage years. Both sure to have an effect.
                  Signature

                  Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628559].message }}
                  • Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                    I can certainly see you and myself for that matter avoiding some friendships and you avoiding your first marriage for example.. however, the world and semi-personal events that led you to being how you are now are in this case, just repeating. Your looking back on them and opinions now are what you think about them in hindsight.

                    You become a little more entrenched in your opinions as you get older becoming more ridged.

                    Certainly, the circumstances of your life would change in relationships, possibly even career choices, and you could avoid mistakes and diversions. But, would your general worldly knowledge about what transpires and your opinions about them change, I'm not so sure. You talk about the fact that your wife was good for you. But, you go back having had that "training" and insights that she gave you.
                    Another insightful post, I think.

                    I think here is what would be basically the same on the "second go around".

                    Our parents would be the same, so much of the trauma and good times would simply repeat. You would be going to the same school with the same students. You would live in the same community. Your intelligence and basic personality would be the same.

                    We may be different. When I was growing up, I was incredibly naïve. And I separated myself from everyone except my immediate family. Essentially, most of my personality formed after I left home. That would be different this time.

                    If I had a choice, I wouldn't go back.

                    But if I found myself back in my 6 year old body....after I had determined it wasn't a dream or an illusion. (That could take weeks)....

                    I really know what I would do.

                    I would treat my Mom and Dad better. I would be more understanding of their actions. I would treat my brother and sister much better. Their lives were worse than mine. And I could make it more enjoyable for them.

                    I would be a better son. Pick my friends more judiciously.

                    But I would be constantly aware that I can't take real advantage of any foreknowledge. A windfall in an investment would start a change in the country that would amplify over time.

                    I would make more money, and sooner. But not above my current comfort level.

                    And I would open a store in Wooster....and wait. A better life.

                    But I would never tell anyone what happened, and I would hide any evidence of it. For example, I wouldn't start arguing with my teachers, or talk back to my parents.

                    But man...the first 12 years would drag on forever.

                    A fact that I haven't considered is that, at 65, my intelligence has crystalized. Learning is now harder, and world views are harder to change. I don't know if I would have a 6 year old brain...suddenly infused with a lifetime of experience...or a 65 year old brain in a 6 year old body. It would make a huge difference.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Imagine your mind was transported back to the body of your childhood self. Suddenly your mothers 6 year old son is talking with a worldly intelligence and knowledge of the future. Unfortunately this is permanent situation, no jumping from body to body. You have to grow up in that scenario.

    How would you cope, what would you do to take advantage of the situation as you grew up? Would you try to hide it until you grew older?

    For a while you may be treated as a child prodigy but that would not be forever...
    if you went back a year and tried to explain part of what happened in the last 12 month.. you would be declared legally insane .. forget how long ago you where 6 years old

    now i was actually real smart as a kid .. but it didn't come out in class .. so i was just deemed lazy at 8 years old ....anyway ..i am 42. 6 years old would have put me in 1984 ..
    Telling people i had the goal of buying 100,000 bit coin in 2009 and 2010 ..10 years before there was even an aol .. would not have worked well .. which would have been a few thousand dollars invested..cash out 100 million of bitcoind at about 12,000 as the brice was spiking .. and put it in Faang stocks in 2018 .. but still sit on a billion dollars worth of bit coin ..

    now between 6 and 32 i probably would have quit school as early as possible when i got my licences i would buy a sleeper van instead of the crappy car i got ..move down to florida.. work to buy a cheep piece of land with 5 to then acers .. then build a vermicomposting business and a high end decorative plant business ...and basically do that until the bit coin thing pans out ..

    added, i was never unintelligent growing up i just never did well in school ..s cored high on standardized test.. it was like a 1340 on my says and like a 98 percentile on the asvab before i joined the army ..and i was training to learn to operate satellite dishes before i chaptered out with bad knees ..going back through the last 3 years with the focus i have gained in the last 4 years ..i wouldn't do anything to f#$% up the timeline .. just have the bast life i can ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    I see that you would not have more than a couple of extra years with your wife at best. A twelve year old turning up at her door saying "You are the one for me" would certainly not go down well. Lol. Do you actually know the date she came in your store? You would have to engineer having a store and being there on that date to be in with the chance.

    Would your personality be different though. You had 65 odd years for it to be fully formed. Would it change?
    I know you have watched TimeLoop, and beware of cute, little pigs, bearing gifts.

    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    That's a very smart question.

    Yes, you would be completely different.

    Start with the life you let up to now.

    Now....start when you are six, and know everything you know now. You would think differently, act differently, respond to the changing times in a completely different way than you originally did.

    You would have different friends, develop different opinions over time. All of this would mold you into a different person.

    And remember, I would essentially have lived 120 years or so when I got to the age I am now.

    Haven't you changed over the decades? I'm certainly not the same person I was 30 or 40 years ago.

    I've had old school mates see me in a store or traveling...and they remark about how I'm not like they remember me. But then, if you are 65 years old, and act like an 18 year old...isn't that sad?

    While we were growing up, our inexperience...our ignorance are what shaped us. If that's missing, who knows what kind of person we would turn out to be?
    Good observation, umm.........Big C!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    You become a little more entrenched in your opinions as you get older becoming more ridged.

    Is that really it? Or do you perhaps discover what it is YOU value and stop settling for less or trying other options? I've wondered about that.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but for that one dog, the world will change forever.

    Sometimes I find myself on a horse - Sometimes on a horse I find myself....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sallysparr0w
    Firstly, not everyone will be able to become so-called "prodigies", because being a child they are in the body of an adult for true. Even so, children are much wiser than the so-called "adults." I don't believe in the existence of adults, they simply do not exist. Secondly, let us assume this possibility, to be an adult in the body of a child: for some people it will be a blessing, because they will get rid of the responsibility that their parents previously took upon themselves. For some, this outcome is much more convenient. It is worth thinking carefully about who to call a "prodigy".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11628586].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics