Zack Snyder's 4 Hour Cut Of Justice League

26 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Is to be aired on HBO on March 18th. The reviews are great across the board.

There is only about 40 minutes of footage from the original film in it. That means 3 hours 20 minutes of glorious unseen footage (yes, I do sums as well) . Well rounded character development and stunning action scenes. A truly epic film by all accounts.

So, will it mean that if not got already, you will be signing up for HBO to watch or looking out for an online pirated stream, can you honestly wait that long. A friend wants to know.

Added: Already certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
    Hi Ian

    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching this (not sure how I will). The film that was released was a complete disappointment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    I signed up for HBOMAX a few months ago, specifically because I knew they were going to show The Snyder Cut.

    The reviews are amazing. I can't wait to see it.

    Zack Snyder

    Jack Synder is my gynecologist..
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654318].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      I signed up for HBOMAX a few months ago, specifically because I knew they were going to show The Snyder Cut.

      The reviews are amazing. I can't wait to see it.

      Zack Snyder

      Jack Synder is my gynecologist..
      That's the Uk spelling. He makes films looking through a letter box. Hence the black bars top and bottom.

      I notice a complete lack of Riffle sneers, about to be belittled (if you can get any smaller) by a masterful DC film that will rival the best of Marvel. Meeeah!, he will say, won't like it on principal.

      Added: I finally got to see Wonder Woman 1984. As you said, very patchy and just a silly story. Still I enjoyed the opening sequence, some of the bits in between and the last half hour was ok. Not as good as the original though.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654320].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        That's the Uk spelling. He makes films looking through a letter box. Hence the black bars top and bottom.

        I notice a complete lack of Riffle sneers, about to be belittled (if you can get any smaller) by a masterful DC film that will rival the best of Marvel. Meeeah!, he will say, won't like it on principal.
        I'm not sure Riffle will watch it. It's four hours. And that's a slog, if you aren't already a fan of DC comics.

        I gave this a little thought, actually. The Justice League movie in 2017 was terrible. But why? I found out that the movie was actually almost complete, and the producers wanted it more like a Marvel movie, so they brought in Joss Wheden. Wheden directed two very successful Avengers movies.

        But these are two completely different approaches.

        It's as is the producers said "Here is the Godfather. Now, make it funny, and make it 2 hours. So...Wheden made it funnier, and cut the time in half. He did the best he could with the job he had.

        I think that if Wheden was given Justice League at the beginning, it would be like most Marvel movies. Witty, fun, comic book movies.

        But, Justice League isn't about funny superheroes. It's about gods fighting monsters. Look at the main Justice League characters (in the movie or comics)...

        Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or The Martian Manhunter....any one of them could defeat an army. Batman is human. But the rest have godlike powers. Even Aquaman can lift a battleship.

        DC characters are gods that save the planet. Marvel heroes are regular people that happen to gain abilities. At least that's my take.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654322].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          I'm not sue Riffle will watch it. It's four hours. And that's a slog, if you aren't already a fan of DC comics.

          I gave this a little thought, actually. The Justice League movie in 2017 was terrible. But why? I found out that the movie was actually almost complete, and the producers wanted it more like a Marvel movie, so they brought in Joss Wheden. Wheden directed two very successful Avengers movies.

          But these are two completely different approaches.

          It's as is the producers said "Here is the Godfather. Now, make it funny, and make it 2 hours. So...Wheden made it funnier, and cut the time in half. He did the best he could with the job he had.

          I think that if Wheden was given Justice League at the beginning, it would be like most Marvel movies. Witty, fun, comic book movies.

          But, Justice League isn't about funny superheroes. It's about gods fighting monsters. Look at the main Justice League characters (in the movie or comics)...

          Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or The Martian Manhunter....any one of them could defeat an army. Batman is human. But the rest have godlike powers. Even Aquaman can lift a battleship.

          DC characters are gods that save the planet. Marvel heroes are regular people that happen to gain abilities. At least that's my take.
          Good observations there, and we all know Riffle finds it difficult to get through a ten minute You-Tube video. Yes, the DC movie is supposed to be dark, very dark, even R rated dark. Marvel, despite the jokes still took it more seriously than perhaps they needed to, putting high level production, acting and good storylines into it.

          As for DC, Batman, apart from a slip or too early on, got darker and darker, imagine the Joker becoming such twisted and frightening character, really menacing and evil. The actor got a belated Oscar for his portrayal.

          So, this is what we are now going to expect from DC?., darker and more serious. Nothing wrong with that.

          I always thought the DC comics were a little darker, perhaps it was that they used darker inks, more moody strip renderings, just an impression I got.

          Added: I await your review after Thursday. You will have to install an armchair toilet and 4 bags of popcorn for this: Lol
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654324].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            I always thought the DC comics were a little darker, perhaps it was that they used darker inks, more moody strip renderings, just an impression I got.
            This is my guess.

            Batman is the most popular DC character on film. Not Superman, but Batman.

            And Batman has to be serious. It has to be very dark, or the whole thing comes off as silly. Can you imagine a scene where Batman is walking down the street at Noon?

            So a Justice League movie, or even the Batman V Superman movie...has to be dark the whole way through...because Batman is there.

            And there are different ways to show superheroes in a movies. The Fantastic Four, Brightburn, and the New Mutants movies are really horror movies.

            anyway, I'll see it tomorrow.



            Added later; Most of my life I had hoped to see a superhero movie that wasn't a joke...played for laughs...or with terrible effects.

            The first Spiderman movie in 2002 was it. That was a superhero movie. The effects were believable (meaning they looked real). I was happy.

            And now, real looking epic superhero movies are the rule. the bad movie is the exception.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654475].message }}
  • 4 hours ain't a cut -- it's a graft.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654551].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

      4 hours ain't a cut -- it's a graft.
      It's not even a graft...it's a full blown clone.

      (Joke included)

      Added later; I'm about an hour into the movie. Phenomenal story telling. Far better than the theatrical release. Almost none of that movie is in this one.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654554].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        It's not even a graft...it's a full blown clone.

        (Joke included)

        Added later; I'm about an hour into the movie. Phenomenal story telling. Far better than the theatrical release. Almost none of that movie is in this one.
        Keep at it, if you get to the 4 hour completion without you feeling like it's a slog, you know it will have been good. I have a problem with many movies, that the way and levels of the dialog is recorded is not always clearly audible so I can't always keep up with the plot or storyline. Have taken to wearing headphones.

        Added: So are you watching it at work on a piddely little computer screen or did you take a half day to watch it at home on your big tv, a friend wants to know?
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654754].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Keep at it, if you get to the 4 hour completion without you feeling like it's a slog, you know it will have been good. I have a problem with many movies, that the way and levels of the dialog is recorded is not always clearly audible so I can't always keep up with the plot or storyline. Have taken to wearing headphones.

          Added: So are you watching it at work on a piddely little computer screen or did you take a half day to watch it at home on your big tv, a friend wants to know?
          I'm watching it on my computer.

          The screen is actually larger than any TV I owned except in the last 12 years or so.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654767].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            I'm watching it on my computer.

            The screen is actually larger than any TV I owned except in the last 12 years or so.
            Yes, it's amazing how long that 12", black and white portable served you for. How much did you get from selling it to Riffle to use as his main tv?. Massive screen to him.

            How's the film coming? I expect that one daily customer disturbance must have been an annoying distraction.
            Signature

            Marriage, For The Best Arguments

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654781].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post


              How's the film coming? I expect that one daily customer disturbance must have been an annoying distraction.
              About half way through. Yup, customers keep coming in.

              So far, it's by far the best DC movie, maybe better than Wonder Woman....


              It has a real Lord Of The Rings epic feel. I think it's less than 25% what we saw in theaters and the rest is unseen new content.
              Signature
              One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

              "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654787].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                About half way through. Yup, customers keep coming in.

                So far, it's by far the best DC movie, maybe better than Wonder Woman....


                It has a real Lord Of The Rings epic feel. I think it's less than 25% what we saw in theaters and the rest is unseen new content.
                Half way there then. Your customer count is up as well...shocked. Lol. It was actually said that about 40 minutes was kept in the movie when Zacky Baby got ousted, so you are not far off. The end battle has been expanded so wondering how spectacular that will be, essential to have a good, satisfying end battle.
                Signature

                Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654791].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                About half way through. Yup, customers keep coming in.

                So far, it's by far the best DC movie, maybe better than Wonder Woman....


                It has a real Lord Of The Rings epic feel. I think it's less than 25% what we saw in theaters and the rest is unseen new content.
                I really enjoyed this version....i think the dcu should actually call itself the bat man universe after this movie ..

                but stepping back from the movie i wonder if this is how streaming services will address their content issues. With the movie theater system gone. Just release a recut version of the same movie ..when both mcu and dcu now have a multiverse or multi timeline backdrop now ..
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654921].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Claude We is in this onehitacre View Post

        Far better than the theatrical release.

        Am I missin' sumthin'?


        Nowan benefitted from my theatrical release evah walked straight again.
        Signature

        Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Just got done watching it.

    It has a real Lord Of The Rings quality to it.

    My opinion is that they should give Zack Snyder the job of directing these DC movies.

    Wonder Woman was also epic. But this version of Justice League shows how grand the scale can be if given the resources, and a real comics lover at the helm.

    I was thinking about the Director's cuts of his films.
    Watchman was made better in the extended Director's cut. So was Batman V Superman.

    But Justice League? Almost four hours of story and action. No fat. And this movie sets up a multiverse of realities.....such potential.

    Added later; Every hero had a moment to shine. Cyborg had the most additional screen time, and it wasn't wasted.

    The theme seems to center on Father-Son relationships. The most emotional scenes were Superman's Dad(s) voices urging him on.....the relationship between Cyborg and his dad...Flash and his dad...even Wonder Woman and her people.

    That opening battle with the Amazons was worth the price of a ticket.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654994].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      Just got done watching it.

      It has a real Lord Of The Rings quality to it.

      My opinion is that they should give Zack Snyder the job of directing these DC movies.

      Wonder Woman was also epic. But this version of Justice League shows how grand the scale can be if given the resources, and a real comics lover at the helm.

      I was thinking about the Director's cuts of his films.
      Watchman was made better in the extended Director's cut. So was Batman V Superman.

      But Justice League? Almost four hours of story and action. No fat. And this movie sets up a multiverse of realities.....such potential.

      Added later; Every hero had a moment to shine. Cyborg had the most additional screen time, and it wasn't wasted.

      The theme seems to center on Father-Son relationships. The most emotional scenes were Superman's Dad(s) voices urging him on.....the relationship between Cyborg and his dad...Flash and his dad...even Wonder Woman and her people.

      That opening battle with the Amazons was worth the price of a ticket.
      So you did not get bored then. Good sign that it was consistently watchable, was their any extra Superman footage.? Marks out of 10, what would it be?
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655044].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        So you did not get bored then. Good sign that it was consistently watchable, was their any extra Superman footage.? Marks out of 10, what would it be?
        Not bored at all. In fact, I wanted to watch it all in one sitting.

        There is some extra Superman footage, but there is a tone of extra...essential Cyborg, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman footage. And you get a large helping of the backstory of the threat.

        Believe me, if you are a superhero fan at all, this is the movie you need to see.

        Out of ten? No idea. The movie is so epic, it's hard to judge. Surely more than 8 or 9 out of ten.

        If it has a marvel comparison, Avengers Endgame is the closest thing.

        I'm absolutely going to watch it again.

        There is one very short line that Batman says to Aquaman that isn't in this version, that I liked in the theatrical release. But in every other way, this is better.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655151].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Not bored at all. In fact, I wanted to watch it all in one sitting.

          There is some extra Superman footage, but there is a tone of extra...essential Cyborg, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman footage. And you get a large helping of the backstory of the threat.

          Believe me, if you are a superhero fan at all, this is the movie you need to see.

          Out of ten? No idea. The movie is so epic, it's hard to judge. Surely more than 8 or 9 out of ten.

          If it has a marvel comparison, Avengers Endgame is the closest thing.

          I'm absolutely going to watch it again.

          There is one very short line that Batman says to Aquaman that isn't in this version, that I liked in the theatrical release. But in every other way, this is better.
          Here's the latest "Pitch Meeting" for this movie.

          https://youtu.be/AjEAnzF8iWU
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tnob
    Like Claude, I too got HBO Max a few months ago. I got it because I exhausted Netflix and Prime through COVID and needed a new set of movies/shows.

    It's kind of fun being away from a streaming service for months and then getting back on to see what all is new. It's kind of my modern-day equivalent to strolling through the Blockbuster aisles.

    So, will it mean that if not got already, you will be signing up for HBO to watch or looking out for an online pirated stream, can you honestly wait that long. A friend wants to know.
    Last time I pirated was cokeandpopcorn era. I gave up on it and finally started paying streaming services because I was tired of having to find which suffix worked (.eu, .ch, etc.) and the streaming quality was getting worse and worse.

    Are there better options out there now?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
    Finally got around to watching it yesterday. It was infinitely better than Whedon's version. Sad part is that it looks as though he was setting up for a sequel (unlikely he will be making it?)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Serene Carmen View Post

      Finally got around to watching it yesterday. It was infinitely better than Whedon's version. Sad part is that it looks as though he was setting up for a sequel (unlikely he will be making it?)
      Originally, Zack Snyder was going to make this three movies. The first two (I think) are what we see here. But there was going to be a third where the entire army of Apocalypse battles the whole planet Earth. Armies of every country join it.

      And of course, the entire Justice League was going to be involved. Including Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern.

      By the way, Snyder really wanted Green Lantern to show up at the end, played by Ryan Reynolds.

      Personally, I love the idea of Green Lantern..but the Ryan Reynolds version was too comedic to fit in this movie tone.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
        The lack of cohesion/integration with the DC movies has been frustrating, this movie and sequels would have gone quite a way to help with the disjointed approach taken so far.

        Also interesting was the choice Whedon as the replacement when his style is so different (he would be great for a comedic Green Lantern movie).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655798].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Serene Carmen View Post

          The lack of cohesion/integration with the DC movies has been frustrating, this movie and sequels would have gone quite a way to help with the disjointed approach taken so far.

          Also interesting was the choice Whedon as the replacement when his style is so different (he would be great for a comedic Green Lantern movie).
          I agree. Had Whedon directed the movie from the beginning, Green Lantern could have fit right in.

          Zack Snyder originally wanted Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern in the movie...but changed his mind to a different Green Lantern, John Stewart. But the producers (for whatever reason) said No.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655925].message }}
  • Just finished watching it last weekend. I like the fact that they put more story into it. It's closer to the themes and feel of the DC animated movies. If they don't plan to make more live action JL movies after this, I hope they continue the story in the animated films. I'm engaged now. I need more Martian Manhunter. I need more Green Lantern Corp!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11655643].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics