Jeff Bezos And Brother To Fly Into Space

66 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Atop his own Blue Origin rocket in a capsule which carries six, the distance will be 62 miles up, he will get a view out of the window of the Flat Earth: lol, and experience micro gravity, the flight will only last 10 minutes. The capsule will land in the desert on parachutes about 10 minutes from the launch site and the body of the reusable rocket will soft land by its own power. This takes place on July 20th. The ultimate Amazon delivery.

No plans have been made for Blue Origin to deliver Amazon packages as yet.

I wonder if Mr Bezos's obituary has been prepared, sounds really dangerous.

Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57457378
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I just saw a meme that Elon Musk was very happy about the trip because for those 10 minutes, he'll become the richest man on earth with no additional effort or investment. LOL

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Mark Singletary View Post

      I just saw a meme that Elon Musk was very happy about the trip because for those 10 minutes, he'll become the richest man on earth with no additional effort or investment. LOL

      Mark
      I suppose Bezos will counter that because he travelled at a great speed, he would be a time traveler, returning infinitesimally, a tiny fraction of a second younger than the rest of us.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669339].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        I suppose Bezos will counter that because he travelled at a great speed, he would be a time traveler, returning infinitesimally, a tiny fraction of a second younger than the rest of us.
        My friend.

        A witty post, but I can't not respond.

        The closer you are to the surface of the planet, the slower time progresses. For example, at the event horizon of a Black Hole, time almost stops completely, comparable to the rest of the universe. Gravity slows time.

        So Bezos will technically be a billionth (or some almost unimaginably small amount) of a second older than he would be, if he just stayed on the surface of the Earth.

        We now return control of your television set to you, until next week at this same time, when the Control Voice will take you to... The Outer Limits.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669363].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          My friend.

          A witty post, but I can't not respond.

          The closer you are to the surface of the planet, the slower time progresses. For example, at the event horizon of a Black Hole, time almost stops completely, comparable to the rest of the universe. Gravity slows time.

          So Bezos will technically be a billionth (or some almost unimaginably small amount) of a second older than he would be, if he just stayed on the surface of the Earth.

          We now return control of your television set to you, until next week at this same time, when the Control Voice will take you to... The Outer Limits.
          Then, how come it was widely publicized that an astronaut returning from the space station was said to be a fraction of a second younger than the rest of us down on earth.

          "So when Scott comes back to Earth in March 2016, he will have spent over his career a total of 540 days in low Earth orbit. Mark will have logged 54 days there.

          Article: https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...than-the-other

          And if we assume - alright, improbably - that Scott and Mark were born at exactly the same time, and if we rule out all other factors (including gravity, which also slows time) that means that Scott is younger than his twin, having spent more time in a fast-moving space station in which time slows down. How much younger? By our calculations, those 486 additional days that Scott spent moving at about 17,0000 miles per hour slowed his aging by about two one hundredths of a second compared to his twin."

          Even though Bezos will only do a miniscule fraction of that, for a brief period of time, he will be travelling very fast in a brief sub orbital flight making him a miniscule bit younger compared to us down on Earth. Time still slows down for the traveler going at great speed, this of course is accentuated far more as they approach the speed of light. But even 17,000 MPH for a long period of time has a slight effect.

          It's science. No Outer Limits here
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669375].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post


            Even though Bezos will only do a miniscule fraction of that, for a brief period of time, he will be travelling very fast in a brief sub orbital flight making him a miniscule bit younger compared to us down on Earth. Time still slows down for the traveler going at great speed, this of course is accentuated far more as they approach the speed of light. But even 17,000 MPH for a long period of time has a slight effect.

            It's science. No Outer Limits here
            Bezos isn't orbiting the Earth. He's going up...then down. Away from the center of the planet, then back toward the center of the planet, being stopped by the surface.
            He'll be going at 17,000 miles an hour for about 11 minutes.

            Although you are right, speed slows down time. And going away from the force of gravity, speeds up time, the effect is negligible. You would need an atomic clock to see the difference..


            Everything I said in my post was correct.....
            But you pointed out the speed needed to got to a suborbital flight, and 11 minute round trip journey, which I hadn't considered. And for that, you get the win.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669394].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Bezos isn't orbiting the Earth. He's going up...then down. Away from the center of the planet, then back toward the center of the planet, being stopped by the surface.
              He'll be going at 17,000 miles an hour for about 11 minutes.

              Although you are right, speed slows down time. And going away from the force of gravity, speeds up time, the effect is negligible. You would need an atomic clock to see the difference..


              Everything I said in my post was correct.....
              But you pointed out the speed needed to got to a suborbital flight, and 11 minute round trip journey, which I hadn't considered. And for that, you get the win.
              And when Bezos returns he would of course see in that miniscule amount of time, Amazon would be long gone, "The Sweeper Store International" would have taken over as the prime distributor of goods across the planet and Dan Riffle still not having grown a millimeter. In fact, thanks to gravity and it's wear and tear on the body, he will be even shorter.
              Signature

              Marriage, For The Best Arguments

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669396].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                And when Bezos returns he would of course see in that miniscule amount of time, Amazon would be long gone, "The Sweeper Store International" would have taken over as the prime distributor of goods across the planet and Dan Riffle still not having grown a millimeter. In fact, thanks to gravity and it's wear and tear on the body, he will be even shorter.
                Ha!

                It occurred to me that a short suborbital flight like this wouldn't need the 17,000 MPH escape velocity that orbital flights need. Yup, Bezos will only reach 2,300 miles an hour in his little rocket.

                This is weird. I didn't want to say anything, until I checked to see if anyone mentioned this in the articles, and I couldn't find it.

                Time slows down when near a gravitational force, or at great speeds through space.

                The Sun travels around our galaxy at a little more than 500,000 MPH. And of course, our galaxy is traveling through space as well.

                Why does this matter? Because, depending on the direction of the rocket (any rocket), you can be slightly adding to that speed (The half million MPH speed the Sun travels), or slightly subtracting from that speed.

                And any traveling between planets, depending on the direction, could be adding or subtracting from that speed our sun travels at.

                So, we wouldn't always be speeding up through time, or slowing down. It would depend on the direction we traveled.

                And...our GPS is so sensitive, it has to compensate for that very very minute amount of difference in time, because the satellite is in orbit. But the satellite is traveling along with the Earth, so it helps with the calculations.

                Whew! My brain just pulled a hamstring.

                Added later. In other words, we are already traveling slightly slower through time than if we were just hanging in space without movement.

                Another interesting thing (to me at least) is that you have to be traveling very close to the speed of light for any great effect. For example, flying at 10% the speed of light, time slows by only a half a percent. Even at 90% the speed of light, you are still going at 46% the normal rate. The time dilation kicks into gear above 99% the speed of light.

                Here's a chart.
                https://www.emc2-explained.info/Time...at-Low-Speeds/
                Signature
                One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669516].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                  Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                  Ha!

                  It occurred to me that a short suborbital flight like this wouldn't need the 17,000 MPH escape velocity that orbital flights need. Yup, Bezos will only reach 2,300 miles an hour in his little rocket.

                  This is weird. I didn't want to say anything, until I checked to see if anyone mentioned this in the articles, and I couldn't find it.

                  Time slows down when near a gravitational force, or at great speeds through space.

                  The Sun travels around our galaxy at a little more than 500,000 MPH. And of course, our galaxy is traveling through space as well.

                  Why does this matter? Because, depending on the direction of the rocket (any rocket), you can be slightly adding to that speed (The half million MPH speed the Sun travels), or slightly subtracting from that speed.

                  And any traveling between planets, depending on the direction, could be adding or subtracting from that speed our sun travels at.

                  So, we wouldn't always be speeding up through time, or slowing down. It would depend on the direction we traveled.

                  And...our GPS is so sensitive, it has to compensate for that very very minute amount of difference in time, because the satellite is in orbit. But the satellite is traveling along with the Earth, so it helps with the calculations.

                  Whew! My brain just pulled a hamstring.

                  Added later. In other words, we are already traveling slightly slower through time than if we were just hanging in space without movement.

                  Another interesting thing (to me at least) is that you have to be traveling very close to the speed of light for any great effect. For example, flying at 10% the speed of light, time slows by only a half a percent slowing of time occurs. Even at 90% the speed of light, you are still going at 46% the normal rate. The time dilation kicks into gear above 99% the speed of light.

                  Here's a chart.
                  https://www.emc2-explained.info/Time...at-Low-Speeds/
                  If I were super rich like Bezos, I would offer to pay for the leading lights of the flat earthers who peddle their disinformation on You-tube and other places, to take the trip, just to see their jaws drop as they see the curvature of the Earth. I would make sure that they were fully aware that the windows were not in anyway curved and gave a false fisheye view.

                  Finally, upon their safe return, they would have to immediately make a video to post, denouncing all their previous video's as wrong, this video would be the only ones left on their channels as they would have to delete the rest. I wonder what the take up would be.
                  Signature

                  Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669541].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                    If I were super rich like Bezos, I would offer to pay for the leading lights of the flat earthers who peddle their disinformation on You-tube and other places, to take the trip, just to see their jaws drop as they see the curvature of the Earth. I would make sure that they were fully aware that the windows were not in anyway curved and gave a false fisheye view.

                    Finally, upon their safe return, they would have to immediately make a video to post, denouncing all their previous video's as wrong, this video would be the only ones left on their channels as they would have to delete the rest. I wonderer what the take up would be.
                    I've read quite a lot about Flat Earthers. They think of themselves as really pragmatic thinkers. They "Believe what they see". In a way, their thinking is far more rational than most things I hear about "science". I don't mean just here, but all through my life.

                    So, as much as we may make fun of them, their belief is actually more grounded than most things I hear.

                    The problem is, they cannot be argued out of their position by anything other than what they see with their own eyes. An explanation using physics won't work, because you need some imagination to understand it. Logic won't help. Because logic still requires abstract thinking.

                    I believe, if you took a flat Earther to space, and he saw the curvature of the Earth, as he went around the globe.....they would still interpret it as evidence that they were right, because they would use their own arguments, their own interpretation of what they see.


                    But that is how we all think. We have just accepted different views, different evidence.

                    Their beliefs are part of them, they are invested. All arguments are seen as an attack, not thought about and considered.
                    But we are like that everywhere. I literally never see a TV commentary where there is anything close to a real concern for reality. And when the word "reality" or "facts" is used, it's used incorrectly.

                    Humans.
                    Signature
                    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669550].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                      I've read quite a lot about Flat Earthers. They think of themselves as really pragmatic thinkers. They "Believe what they see". In a way, their thinking is far more rational than most things I hear about "science". I don't mean just here, but all through my life.

                      So, as much as we may make fun of them, their belief is actually more grounded than most things I hear.



                      Humans.
                      i don't grasp why it matters if some people are flat earthers ..i have not really studied the flat earthers ..but by the looks of it ..do they also believe the earth is less than 7 thousand years old ..and evolution is a lie ..

                      human btend to have several beliefs that tie together to support each other ..it is more fun to look at vegans or palo/keto/carnivore ..any diet that needs modern farming methods and food distribution systems ..and modern food preparation methods .. that are the way humans were "meant to eat "

                      the fun one is people who believe only gold is real money that is for another time ..

                      when people talk about changing limiting beliefs ..they forget to map out the many other beliefs that support that belief. The marketing that installed those beliefs and the reward ..or placement in the social environment having those beliefs gives them ..
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669875].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                        Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

                        i don't grasp why it matters if some people are flat earthers ..i have not really studied the flat earthers ..but by the looks of it ..do they also believe the earth is less than 7 thousand years old ..and evolution is a lie ..

                        human tend to have several beliefs that tie together to support each other .

                        when people talk about changing limiting beliefs ..they forget to map out the many other beliefs that support that belief. The marketing that installed those beliefs and the reward ..or placement in the social environment having those beliefs gives them ..
                        Interesting points.

                        I don't know if the Flat Earthers also believe in the Earth being 7 thousand years old, or if evolution is fake. I just concentrated on why they thought the earth was flat, and how they explained the evidence that it is round.

                        As far as one belief supporting another. ...

                        I've found that the major cause of what people believe is their social structure, who their parents are, where they live, and what groups they belong to.

                        Saying that one belief supports another, I think, is giving way too much credit to the average person's ability to connect cause and effect. That said, the only reason to believe the Earth is only 7 thousand years old, is the same reason to believe evolution isn't real.

                        One thing that has struck me though is that if someone believes a conspiracy theory, they tend to believe all of them. It's like a package deal. It's more a way of thinking, than any actual ideas.

                        One thing I keep in my mind is that half the people on the planet have below average IQs. That doesn't make them bad people, just more susceptible to irrational arguments.

                        But even IQ doesn't explain tribal loyalty, and accepting any position the tribe has adopted....which is inevitably that there is an enemy set out to destroy them, and everything this enemy believes is wrong, and evil.
                        Signature
                        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669884].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                          Interesting points.



                          One thing that has struck me though is that if someone believes a conspiracy theory, they tend to believe all of them. It's like a package deal. It's more a way of thinking, than any actual ideas.

                          One thing I keep in my mind is that half the people on the planet have below average IQs. That doesn't make them bad people, just more susceptible to irrational arguments.

                          But even IQ doesn't explain tribal loyalty, and accepting any position the tribe has adopted....which is inevitably that there is an enemy set out to destroy them, and everything this enemy believes is wrong, and evil.
                          package deal is what i was trying to say ...the social group sort of demand a ridged adherence ..so if one flat earther talks with another there is the checklist each goes through .. to make sure the other is for real .. so in order to be accepted by other flat earther as one of them .. the full package has to be accepted .

                          as far as conspiracy theorists. 2/3s of the world population today can be credited to vaccines and synthetic fertilizers /herbicides and pesticides .. anyway apparently the powers that be has supposedly been planning to cull the human population below a billion sence the 1970's ..yet ther very actions have led to the population doubling ..from a little over 4 billion in the 1980s to closing in on 8 billion now ..

                          right now there is no conpriacy we are in the time of the great reset where the concept of ownership is being replaced by everything as a service ....that cabinet full of vhs tapes and dvds is now a a few subscriptions to streaming services ..you might own a pice of equipment but not be able to use it without paying for a monthly service
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Atop his own Blue Origin rocket in a capsule which carries six, the distance will be 62 miles up, he will get a view out of the window at the Flat Earth: lol, and experience micro gravity,]
    Breaking News from Flat Earth Society News - Wacko Amazon Billionaire dies trying to leave Earth


    Alternative Headline- Jeff Bezo 's Fake Flying Rocket Exposed ! Latest News from Flat Earth News and Elvis lives
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669342].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

      Breaking News from the Flat Earth Society News - Wacko Amazon Billionaire dies trying to leave Flat Earth


      Alternative Headline- Jeff Bezo 's Fake Flying Rocket Exposed ! Latest News from Flat Earth News and Elvis is still in the room.
      Breaking news: Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin disintegrates as it hits the dome over the Flat Earth.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Jeff Bezos couldn't even figure out how to ship
    a fragile item down here on Earth. Warehouse
    staff takes an expensive porcelain coffee server
    and throws it in the shipping carton with nothing
    to protect it, yet wraps an unbreakable metal or
    plastic item in fifteen layers of bubble wraps.

    Bezos is useless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669349].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    My brain just pulled a hamstring.
    Priceless!




    Why not fly with him?
    Because you'd be tucked into a small space with Bezos.....ewww
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    Riding isn't a sport? It shouldn't be in the Olympics?
    Sweetie, we control a 1200 lb animal using our thighs and 4 fingers.
    Please sit down.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669517].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Priceless!





      Because you'd be tucked into a small space with Bezos.....ewww
      Pulling a Hamstring is about the extent of Claude's "Pulling Power" these days.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I can't argue with that as I'm not as familiar as you appear to be with Claude's 'pulling habits'....just sayin....
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    Riding isn't a sport? It shouldn't be in the Olympics?
    Sweetie, we control a 1200 lb animal using our thighs and 4 fingers.
    Please sit down.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Breaking news: Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin disintegrates as it hits the dome over the Flat Earth.
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    If I were super rich like Bezos, I would offer to pay for the leading lights of the flat earthers who peddle their disinformation on You-tube and other places, to take the trip,
    Come on now You want them to commit Suicide.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Way I see it, this could mebbe figure as the most entreprenoorial "we gaht the same Mom" trip since them Grimm guys.

    You would want always to wish 'em well undah these circumstances.


    Yeah bcs at least one of 'em is frickin' stoopid for no darn reason whatsoevah.


    Balestra Tip: Yeah, stay down here till the Centennials grow up an' form "the noose". tbh you need a better plan than 'random + family'. Leave it 5 years till the tech has moved on an' you grown outta beaches.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Wonder how much 'crisis planning' goes into this trip - just in case Bezos doesnt come back in one piece....
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    Riding isn't a sport? It shouldn't be in the Olympics?
    Sweetie, we control a 1200 lb animal using our thighs and 4 fingers.
    Please sit down.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669910].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Wonder how much 'crisis planning' goes into this trip - just in case Bezos doesnt come back in one piece....
      He picked a really...really...safe 'outer space adventure".

      If the liquid fuel tanks don't explode on ignition, they will almost certainly be fine. The flight is so quick, if they had to...they could hold their breath long enough...for the time they will be above breathable air. And parachutes do the rest. It's not like there is going to be massive heat from air friction, they aren't building up enough speed.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669913].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Wonder how much 'crisis planning' goes into this trip - just in case Bezos doesnt come back in one piece....
      Bezos recently stepped down as CEO of Amazon. His involvement with the day to day running has been passed on to his tried and tested elite team. So really, he's just the rich guy who reaps the benefits of his stake and free to have his adventures and ventures.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669919].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Wonder how much 'crisis planning' goes into this trip - just in case Bezos doesnt come back in one piece....
      If he does return, one can only hope he'll be forever pestered with Amazon emails nagging him to rate his experience.
      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        If he does return, one can only hope he'll be forever pestered with Amazon emails nagging him to rate his experience.
        I get those prompts from Alexa too at 9 am in the morning, all the time

        Alexa lights up with a notification light, I say for Alexa to read my notification thinking perhaps I have got a delivery. Alexa says, last month you bought xyz from xyz company on Amazon, on a scale of one to five, how would you rate them?

        Me: Efff Off. (I actually usually say 4 or 5)

        Alexa: Thank you for your feedback, this will help peoples buying decisions.

        Yeah, I know I can switch that off, but I am sad and enjoy the conversation.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669921].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        If he does return, one can only hope he'll be forever pestered with Amazon emails nagging him to rate his experience.

        Plus also, if'n he signs up to Prime he don't pay no fuel costs.
        Signature

        Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670087].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

          Plus also, if'n he signs up to Prime he don't pay no fuel costs.
          Your Order will arrive by 10pm today

          We are sorry, your order did not arrive back on Earth today, It will usually arrive within 24 hours. If it still has still not arrived within 48 hours you may return for a full refund.
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670092].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
            Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

            Your Order will arrive by 10pm today

            We are sorry, your order did not arrive back on Earth today, It will usually arrive within 24 hours. If it still has still not arrived within 48 hours you may return for a full refund.
            Uh huh, like Amazon has a Protooberant Man Meat category relaxin' easy huppon its menu areah.

            Alla which makes me wondah how Bezos fares in the swingerama dept bcs bald guys sposed to pack max testosterone less'n eithah they stressed out, bitten by weirdo wasps, or pullin' the sleek look on a faux danglerismo ticket.

            Mebbe he will accidentally fly into Venus, whereupon the sons & daughters of them diehard Vessoovious archaeology types can examine his remains in mebbe 2055 for necessary clues to why he rich enough to be so life-threateningly stoopid to hisself.

            Yeah, bcs Neil Armstrong floo up to the Moon an' came back -- powahed by tech substantially less sophisticated than no checkout options from 2021's surefirest shoppin' mall manglah.

            ARE YOU WHIPPED UP INTO SUCH A FRENZY
            YOU MAY RUSH TO YOUR REFRIGERATOR
            AND CHOMP YOUR CHORIZO STASH HALF TO DEATH
            WITH YOUR EYELASHES, O PRINCESS?

            I am on it, poppet.
            Signature

            Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    A bit of money was spent to produce a documentary which was from the leading "alleged" exponents of the flat earth theories full of alleged observations to conclude this, called "Level" You can watch it on You-Tube for free now. It's painful to watch.

    https://youtu.be/WffliCP2dU0

    One of the leading debunkers of Flat Earth theory is going through it systematically and just destroying every argument and mistaken observation with simple science. There is no argument.

    He also amusingly points out that although their was a peak in google search where people were looking at flat earth theories from 2015 to 2017, that search is now almost no longer in existence, good to know.

    Here is Sci Man Dan's beginning video of the systematic debunking, better to watch that than ploughing through Level.

    https://youtu.be/5FXpLnKP8no
    Signature

    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669918].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post


      One of the leading debunkers of Flat Earth theory is going through it systematically and just destroying every argument and mistaken observation with simple science. There is no argument.
      and yet people still believe things based on far less "evidence" than the Earth being flat. And rational arguments and real evidence has never changed their minds.

      We all see the world through a different lens. And we all think our lens is the clean one, with clear vision. Even people who seemingly agree completely, process information differently. And so they arrive at a conclusion through different paths.

      It's impossible to know that you are wrong, and that your arguments are nonsensical.
      If I listed the top ten ridiculous beliefs based on nothing except wishful thinking...I would start World War Three here.

      Again.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11669926].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        and yet people still believe things based on far less "evidence" than the Earth being flat. And rational arguments and real evidence has never changed their minds.

        We all see the world through a different lens. And we all think our lens is the clean one, with clear vision. Even people who seemingly agree completely, process information differently. And so they arrive at a conclusion through different paths.

        It's impossible to know that you are wrong, and that your arguments are nonsensical.
        If I listed the top ten ridiculous beliefs based on nothing except wishful thinking...I would start World War Three here.

        Again.
        I dare you! (new post please)

        If you faint during the writing of this post, don't worry, you will definitely come "Round"
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670091].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post


        We all see the world through a different lens. And we all think our lens is the clean one, with clear vision. Even people who seemingly agree completely, process information differently. And so they arrive at a conclusion through different paths.


        Again.
        people have a wide range of different life experiences which have an effect on that lens ..and there is a devide of people who explain where they are based on their past .. and others who seem to be a much smaller group.. who are where they are now because they are moving in the direction of a better future.. working now to pick up a skill they do not have .. or add a great referance to their resume .. that get them a better job or more money ..

        conspiracy people tend to be in the first group ..and blame most of their past on forces outside of themselves and event they had "happen " to them

        but there is alway a point people can realize what is going on .. and start making better choices ..people generally do not want to be held accountable .. so they accept the choice the society the live in gives them .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670096].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post


          conspiracy people tend to be in the first group ..and blame most of their past on forces outside of themselves and event they had "happen " to them
          Maybe. The people I know that believe in conspiracy theories tend to be smarter than average (because most conspiracy theories are quite complex).

          But they are never an expert in the area they see the conspiracy. For example, there are plenty of conspiracy theory guys at NASA. But none of them think the Moon landing was faked, because they actually know about how it was done, the experience, the materials, the planning, and the actual launch.

          There are lots of conspiracy theory guys that responded to 911, and were at the scene. Lots of conspiracy guys that built the twin towers. But they aren't the ones that think it was an inside job. Why? They have too much real information to get sucked in.

          Big Foot people are never evolutionary biologists. Why? Because the idea makes no sense if you have real knowledge in that area. But thee are evolutionary biologists that swear that the Moon landing was faked.

          Even flat Earth believers. If you have no real knowledge of a subject, everything you hear appears equally real.. So no flat Earthers are geologists, or work at NASA. Their knowledge base is too hard for these "theories" to get a foot hold.

          And most well crafted conspiracy theories are bullet proof. Every logical argument is seen as an attack...and further proof that they are right. And believers of these theories have another thing in common. They never...never study the physics of their theory. They never look at it with a critical eye.

          They may say "These are the facts" or "Here is the evidence", but it's never really facts or evidence. It's nearly always built upon conjecture. Or "500,000 people can't be wrong" or "If only ten percent are right, then..." or "If this is right, then..."

          Humans, fun to watch and play with.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670099].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Maybe.
            And most well crafted conspiracy theories are bullet proof. Every logical argument is seen as an attack...and further proof that they are right. And believers of these theories have another thing in common. They never...never study the physics of their theory. They never look at it with a critical eye.

            They may say "These are the facts" or "Here is the evidence", but it's never really facts or evidence. It's nearly always built upon conjecture. Or "500,000 people can't be wrong" or "If only ten percent are right, then..." or "If this is right, then..."

            Humans, fun to watch and play with.
            a bullet proof conspiracy theory eventually gets proven true .. which is what we are seeing with the covid pandemic escaping from a lab in wuhan the was set up to study and do gain of function research on corona virus .. after being banned in the US ..any logical and reasonal person ..would believe that .. instead of it comming from a wet market in Wuhan that has no proof that it was selling the type of animals that come from caves what 1500 kilometers away ..

            now weather this was intentionally release .. i am not going to believe that ..because the amount of people rushing to cover up their buts of people around the world looks to me lke it was a screw up on many levels ..

            an intention release would have been a terrorist attack that broke into the labe and released the virus ..that gives the proper scape goat
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670104].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

              a bullet proof conspiracy theory eventually gets proven true .. which is what we are seeing with the covid pandemic escaping from a lab in wuhan the was set up to study and do gain of function research on corona virus .. after being banned in the US ..any logical and reasonal person ..would believe that .. instead of it comming from a wet market in Wuhan that has no proof that it was selling the type of animals that come from caves what 1500 kilometers away ..
              I'm glad you brought that up.

              One thing about conspiracy theories, they take a little time to be created, plotted, and spread.

              The "was the Covid virus from a lab?" or "Covid came from bats in a market" idea isn't what I'd call a conspiracy theory yet.

              First, one may be true. I don't know. But as far as I've seen, this hasn't built up layers of speculation and conjecture yet. A real matured conspiracy theory has many layers of thought, and it's sheer density makes it hard to refute.

              When I say it's hard to refute, I mean to the believers of the conspiracy, not the general public.

              And you are positioning the "Covid came from a wet market" as the conspiracy theory, when many people see the "it came from a lab" as the conspiracy.

              Me? I don't have any idea. I've seen no evidence one way or the other. And more importantly, I haven't seen a real flaw in either argument. For me, at least, flaws in arguments are easier for me to spot than knowing if evidence is real.

              By the way, when the evidence isn't crystal clear in a debate like this (Many people see it as a debate), the problem is believing one story is right and one is wrong. The reality may be completely different from either story.

              My own conspiracy...Did Mark come from having sex with a monkey, or come from a lab in Hunan?

              I've seen the crate Mark arrived in, but I have also seen the love letters from the monkey. The plot thickens.
              Signature
              One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

              "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670108].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                I'm glad you brought that up.

                One thing about conspiracy theories, they take a little time to be created, plotted, and spread.

                The "was the Covid virus from a lab?" or "Covid came from bats in a market" idea isn't what I'd call a conspiracy theory yet.

                First, one may be true. I don't know. But as far as I've seen, this hasn't built up layers of speculation and conjecture yet. A real matured conspiracy theory has many layers of thought, and it's sheer density makes it hard to refute.

                When I say it's hard to refute, I mean to the believers of the conspiracy, not the general public.

                And you are positioning the "Covid came from a wet market" as the conspiracy theory, when many people see the "it came from a lab" as the conspiracy.

                Me? I don't have any idea. I've seen no evidence one way or the other. And more importantly, I haven't seen a real flaw in either argument. For me, at least, flaws in arguments are easier for me to spot than knowing if evidence is real.

                By the way, when the evidence isn't crystal clear in a debate like this (Many people see it as a debate), the problem is believing one story is right and one is wrong. The reality may be completely different from either story.

                My own conspiracy...Did Mark come from having sex with a monkey, or come from a lab in Hunan?

                I've seen the crate Mark arrived in, but I have also seen the love letters from the monkey. The plot thickens.
                "My own conspiracy...Did Mark come from having sex with a monkey, or come from a lab in Hunan?

                I've seen the crate Mark arrived in, but I have also seen the love letters from the monkey. The plot thickens."

                Gibbon that you have just brandished about my name (Unless you are talking about another Mark) I feel that I must defend myself.

                My excessive liking of banana's is more a fetish toy sort of thing, I rarely eat them.

                Sniffing Gorilla Glue is not because I was attracted to the name, but because I have been through all the rest and it has the best effect.

                Just because I live in a monkey sanctuary, it does not mean I identify with them as being a hybrid. The rent is cheap, the food good and the seating furniture is comfortable, the rope attached to an old tire is the most ergonomic chair I have ever used. (You of course would not need it having one permanently attached to your midriff conveniently under you're skin.) My neighbors are real party people and are constantly Whoooooping it up.

                I use Mail Chimp as my preferred email service simply because it is reliable,

                I was only nicknamed Cheetah because I committed adultery.

                I hope this helps to dispel your wild conspiracy theory.
                Signature

                Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670117].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                  Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                  "My own conspiracy...Did Mark come from having sex with a monkey, or come from a lab in Hunan?


                  I hope this helps to dispel your wild conspiracy theory.

                  Are you kidding? You just created that whole thing from nothing. I'm going to spread this theory far and wide (I specialize in wide). And you get full credit.
                  Signature
                  One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                  "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670118].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                    Are you kidding? You just created that whole thing from nothing. I'm going to spread this theory far and wide (I specialize in wide). And you get full credit.
                    That worries me as I know you are a "Huge Sphere" of influence.
                    Signature

                    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670120].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                I'm glad you brought that up.

                One thing about conspiracy theories, they take a little time to be created, plotted, and spread.



                .
                i spent years on conspiracy forums and looking at the different talking heads in the conspiracy field..the ones who clain to have insiders feeding them information ....

                my view came to be that a lot of the conspiracy theories are created inside the intelligence agencies and systematically fed through ..these so called insider..to give these talking heads a message ..

                it actually an ancient tactic ..but in the age of the internet secret need to be hidden among hundreds of made up stories .. is their really a conspiracy to hide ufo's or free energy devices..i am sure china would have gotten their hand on that tech by now ..if it existed . an somehow once every other human in the world had a video camer n their pocket the amount of UFo sights dropped to about zero .

                besides the great reset the main push is shifting from industrial produce meat to lab grown /cultured meat ..if people want meat with bones in it .. they will have to pay the premium for organic/pastured sustainable produced meat ..industial production of meat is almose worse than burning dirty coal ..pollution and climate change wise ..


                now i wonder how big of a co2 footprint this sub orbital 10 minute stunt will involve
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    I just dropped by to say what I hoped would happen with
    that rocket/spaceship thing and you all are arguing about
    conspiracy theories and monkeys writing love letters.

    You guys are so HILARIOUS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    remember kids



    its not paranoia if theyre really after you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670222].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      remember kids



      its not paranoia if theyre really after you
      if they are really after you everyone who knows you will know they are after you ..and it is because you made yourself a threat to them ..but there is not one them ..there are many different them and they ..who protect their interest in many different ways .

      the only real paranoid people i ever run into are people involved in drugs ..or who have messed their brains up with drugs..people who drink and smoke pot not so much ..coke meth and heroin on the other hand ..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Did you all see this article, there's a petition where
    the people don't want Bezos to return from space

    https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff...-origin-2021-6
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

      Did you all see this article, there's a petition where
      the people don't want Bezos to return from space

      https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff...-origin-2021-6
      They have seating for six and only four are going, Who else do you think would get a petition drawn up if they went on the trip, aside from Dan Riffle.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11670482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    Update: Richard Branson, never a man to be upstaged, is going to try and beat Bezos into space in his sub orbital rocket plane, which is deployed from a high flying jet airliner, on July 11th, nine days before the Bezos trip. It will not go quite as high as Bezos but will be piloted and land like a conventional plane.
    Signature

    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Monetize
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      Update: Richard Branson, never a man to be upstaged, is going to try and beat Bezos into space in his sub orbital rocket plane, which is deployed from a high flying jet airliner, on July 11th, nine days before the Bezos trip. It will not go quite as high as Bezos but will be piloted and land like a conventional plane.

      The next couple of weeks are going to be so much exciting fun
      watching these two billionaires blast off and splash back down.

      I wonder what the odds of mishaps are?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671788].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

        The next couple of weeks are going to be so much exciting fun
        watching these two billionaires blast off and splash back down.

        I wonder what the odds of mishaps are?
        I think Branson would have more odds of a mishap.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Can't say I'm that enthralled by the ego-driven antics of Bezos and Branson.

    I'm inclined to side with the sentiments of a recent Rory Sutherland post in which he makes the point that manned space flight is a very expensive way of finding out very little:

    "..Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos both believe that cars and vans should drift around empty, depriving millions of skilled drivers of their livelihood, while for some reason space rockets -- tailor-made for computerised telemetry and remote operation -- become vastly more useful if there are three billionaires on board possessed of no notable aeronautical experience."

    https://twitter.com/rorysutherland
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      Can't say I'm that enthralled by the ego-driven antics of Bezos and Branson.

      I'm inclined to side with the sentiments of a recent Rory Sutherland post in which he makes the point that manned space flight is a very expensive way of finding out very little:

      "..Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos both believe that cars and vans should drift around empty, depriving millions of skilled drivers of their livelihood, while for some reason space rockets -- tailor-made for computerised telemetry and remote operation -- become vastly more useful if there are three billionaires on board possessed of no notable aeronautical experience."

      https://twitter.com/rorysutherland
      All the skilled truck drivers could be re-trained as Vacuum Cleaner Salesmen. As for cars, well they are called Auto-Mobiles. Super rich people feel at home in space as there are billions and billions of stars.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671811].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        All the skilled truck drivers could be re-trained as Vacuum Cleaner Salesmen. As for cars, well they are called Auto-Mobiles. Super rich people feel at home in space as there are billions and billions of stars.
        The skilled drivers who own their own rig,van, or car now can easily buy fully automated equipment as the change over occurs

        Many driving jobs also have other responsibilities

        Does Amazon want fully self driving delivery truck even if the need someone to grab the package and carry to the the persons door

        The pandemic blew up the automation, robotics,and Ai will creat mass unemployment. Now worker shortages from people not wanting to go back to many of these jobs will push up Wages and increase the use of automation

        Contactless delivery may be here to stay
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671829].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Richard Branson made his trip to the edge of space today in his space plane travelling 53 miles above the Earth and landed successfully. One Billionaire to go. Branson's space tourism starts soon. Only 180,000 pounds per trip.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672278].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Only 180,000 pounds per trip.
          Claude will be disappointed to hear of that weight limit.
          Signature
          TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672329].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

            Claude will be disappointed to hear of that weight limit.
            Hey! I'm standing right here!
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672330].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              Hey! I'm standing right here!
              Please move out of the way, trying to read Donovan's inspired posts
              Signature

              Marriage, For The Best Arguments

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672332].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        For some reason - I always find myself cheering for Branson. Not sure why unless perhaps because he comes across as likable.


        Bezos, not so much.
        Signature

        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        Riding isn't a sport? It shouldn't be in the Olympics?
        Sweetie, we control a 1200 lb animal using our thighs and 4 fingers.
        Please sit down.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672326].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        A satisfactory conclusion to this thread. Two billionaires flown to space and safely returned. Jeff Bezos being the latest.

        https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57849364

        I'm surprised Bill Gates did not pay for a seat. The capsule had Huge Windows.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672878].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        An irreverent snippet video that makes fun of the shape of the Blue Shepard craft. Lol

        https://youtu.be/xW-Ch590IsI
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672962].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Odahh
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          An irreverent snippet video that makes fun of the shape of the Blue Shepard craft. Lol

          https://youtu.be/xW-Ch590IsI
          I had to shut the launch of after a minute I watching the craft jump up and down the middle of the screen it just looked dirty
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672981].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

            I had to shut the launch of after a minute I watching the craft jump up and down the middle of the screen it just looked dirty
            The same reason I close my eyes when I see a train go into a tunnel.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672985].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              The same reason I close my eyes when I see a train go into a tunnel.
              People in Northern Britain no longer wear kilts, hence the "Flying" Scotsman
              Signature

              Marriage, For The Best Arguments

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672992].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Bezos offers NASA 2 Billion towards the cost if they will use his hardware to return to the moon.

        https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57978465

        Sign up with me for an Amazon Cashback Credit Card and get 2 billion off your first purchase.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11673276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Old Molases
    He also steps down from the position of CEO to take a Executive Chair of the company's Board of Directors as Andy Jassy takes on the chief executive role.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11671886].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11672324].message }}
  • Jus' catchin' up here on the 11 minnit dick miracle.


    Uhm ... so what jus' happened, zackly?
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11673014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hashirama3194
    Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri
    with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about Proxima Centauri
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11673302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author N1coleW
    I know that some famous people already bought tickets to space ship for this year, not bad entertainment
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11673313].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics